*Official* Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 *UB* - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 3169 Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had my 1080UB for about 2 months now, and haven't had much time over the last month to watch much. Tonight I had the PS3 menus up and noticed text was a little blurry. Sure enough, my focus was off a bit, so I touched it up and now it's great. The projector is on a high shelf shining through the back wall of the theater, so it hasn't been touched.

Anyone else notice the projector losing focus over time? I never had this problem with my two previous Sony projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3169 Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenolas View Post

Karlsch...that makes me feel a little better. However, throws a knot into my decision. I thought i had it all figured out. It is really hard to do this without seeing either of them in person. No place in my area has them for display. They can all "order if i want". I still have time to decide, and hopefully in that time, prices will fall. Meanwhile...the w5000 vs 1080ub battle continues.

Just curious...have any of you heard of the 1080DB (deep black) model?

As obvious as it might sound: That was part of the marketing of this unit!
Another acronym: UB = "Ultra Black"

-MIP
post #1803 of 3169 Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIP6697 View Post

As obvious as it might sound: That was part of the marketing of this unit!
Another acronym: UB = "Ultra Black"

-MIP

Yea, i read on a forum somewhere recently that there will be a newer model introduced after the UB called the DB but i wasn't sure if that was confirmed yet or not...probably just a rumor
post #1804 of 3169 Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Yea, i read on a forum somewhere recently that there will be a newer model introduced after the UB called the DB but i wasn't sure if that was confirmed yet or not...probably just a rumor

Where did you see this? Do you have a link?
post #1805 of 3169 Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

It wont let me post it...

Big Screen Forums

Projectors

Topic: Sony VPL-VW60 vs Epson Cinema Pro 1080

I dont know if this guy knows what he is talking about...but he said he spoke to a dealer

http://www.***************.com/forum...hich=11634&p=2
post #1806 of 3169 Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 PM

I set mine up yesterday with the adjustments from projectorriews and the picture looks amazing. I am really impressed.
post #1807 of 3169 Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstrimble View Post

I set mine up yesterday with the adjustments from projectorriews and the picture looks amazing. I am really impressed.

Try settings originally posted by maud'dib in this thread.

-MIP
post #1808 of 3169 Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 35
Quote:

FYI, (for anyone that cares)I am posting this as final closure of a much heated debate that was between myself and "others". Before I make my statement I will be the first to admit that I know nothing more or less than ANYONE in this forum with regard to said subject! However, the person which whom I spoke with did give more of an explanation (headache) that ANYONE in this forum could comprehend (or would care to) with regard to said subject.

No B.S., when I asked for a brief and concise "written" explanation as to "present to my friends" (again no BS), I was thoroughly laid out with: "Due to legal liabilites Epson will not allow it (a written explanation) as it has issues with AVS forum" et al. I never once even spoke of AVS forum. It is either an on going issue with manufactures or someone has been calling their staff and keyed them up. If anyone would like me to share details, I will as that is what we are here for. That being said:

While selecting 2:2 pulldown on the "new model" (1080UB), as it (2:2) will only be available if the PJ correctly receives a 1080p/24 signal. The frequency "at the panel" is 30/fps/hz- regardless of what the marketing (even epsons own) or authors of magazines or anyone or any algorithmic equation tells you.
If you are to disengage 2:2 you will default to a 2:3 pull down, which will give you nothing more and nothing less than 24fps-Regardless of all the same as the aforementioned. That is all that the projector panels (D7) is capable of reproducing while being "fed" 1080p/24/fps/hz BD or HDD material-period. This long explanation is not to "kick sand" in anyone's face as I am not claiming that I discovered this or that I am any more (or less) intelligent than anyone here. I am just sharing info that was layed out before me as fact! Again, this discussion should be put aside as several members have suggested-unless we can discuss it in a gentleman like way.

-MIP

I have measured 48Hz with my PR-670.
post #1809 of 3169 Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I have measured 48Hz with my PR-670.

Thanks for the follow-up, as I am just as interested (if not more so) in knowing the truth as member here in the forum. The source I have was noted to the most "reliable member" of Epson's tech in the west. I will most certainly forward your findings to Epson as these are the first actual measured data that I have seen. I will definitely be posting a follow-up to your findings.
post #1810 of 3169 Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for the follow-up, as I am just as interested (if not more so) in knowing the truth as member here in the forum. The source I have was noted to the most "reliable member" of Epson's tech in the west. I will most certainly forward your findings to Epson as these are the first actual measured data that I have seen. I will definitely be posting a follow-up to your findings.
I am not surprised this is the first measurement you have seen. Not many have this capability. It is not clear to me why a follow-up is necessary. These projectors can do 48Hz and 60Hz from what I have measured. There is no doubt about this and it matches what they say it will do.

Here are the other measurements from my latest work on one of these. These are phenominal projectors.

Epson 1080UB Calibration Report.pdf 412.6201171875k . file
post #1811 of 3169 Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I am not surprised this is the first measurement you have seen. Not many have this capability. It is not clear to me why a follow-up is necessary. These projectors can do 48Hz and 60Hz from what I have measured. There is no doubt about this and it matches what they say it will do.

Here are the other measurements from my latest work on one of these. These are phenominal projectors.

Thanks, much appreciation!

-MIP
post #1812 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 PM

I had a question regarding refresh rate too - Jeff was over calibrating my 1080UB yesterday (The PDF he liked was from my projector). Sure enough, once the PS3 was set to 1080i, it sent a 1080p24 signal to the Epson, and Jeff was able to get a readout of 48Hz on it by aiming his PR-670 at the lens.

No flicker...just a beautiful movie watching experience all-around. I've detailed my experiences with umr/Jeff/Accucal more in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1035035

Cheers,
Geoff
post #1813 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFSloan View Post

I had a question regarding refresh rate too - Jeff was over calibrating my 1080UB yesterday (The PDF he liked was from my projector). Sure enough, once the PS3 was set to 1080i, it sent a 1080p24 signal to the Epson, and Jeff was able to get a readout of 48Hz on it by aiming his PR-670 at the lens.

No flicker...just a beautiful movie watching experience all-around. I've detailed my experiences with umr/Jeff/Accucal more in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1035035

Cheers,
Geoff

-Geoff

Am I reading incorrect or did you really have the PS3 set @ 1080i as that sounds peculiar.

-MIP
post #1814 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:

-Geoff

Am I reading incorrect or did you really have the PS3 set @ 1080i as that sounds peculiar.

-MIP

You're reading correctly. Per umr, the PS3 needs to be set at 1080i to pass a 1080p24 signal. If you force it to 1080p, it will send BluRay at 1080p60 regardless of if the source can do 1080p24. If you set the PS3 to 1080i, it will negotiate and pass a 1080p24 signal. Weird, I know but this is how it works as I understand it, per Jeff, and the Epson and his instruments both concur with this setup.

-Geoff
post #1815 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Umr, this report shows 240 lumens light output. This looks really - I mean really - low. You'd need some serious gain for anything above 80" screen.

What would the results (CR, etc.) be at more useful output levels, say 450 lumens.
post #1816 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlstad View Post

Umr, this report shows 240 lumens light output. This looks really - I mean really - low. You'd need some serious gain for anything above 80" screen.

What would the results (CR, etc.) be at more useful output levels, say 450 lumens.

By the numbers, it looks really low, but since the room has zero light coming into it, it's actually pretty nice. I'll be moving the projector about 6' forward for more light soon. From what Jeff's said, moving the projector forward will not affect any of the calibrating that he's done; it'll just give me a brighter image.
post #1817 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

I've had my 1080UB for about 2 months now, and haven't had much time over the last month to watch much. Tonight I had the PS3 menus up and noticed text was a little blurry. Sure enough, my focus was off a bit, so I touched it up and now it's great. The projector is on a high shelf shining through the back wall of the theater, so it hasn't been touched.

Anyone else notice the projector losing focus over time? I never had this problem with my two previous Sony projectors.

hmmmm, not here.... I have mine since end of Jan (before the original rebate ends), and had logged 150+hrs on it already.
post #1818 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

-Geoff

-MIP

A PS3 is not as simple as you imply. The output resolution you set is not what it always sends. It is more like a suggestion. The PS3 is actually more correct about this than any other devices. Some sources should be sent at 1080i others at 1080p/24 and others at 720p. The PS3 will do this as it should if you know how to set it up. The PS3 is probably the trickiest source on the market to setup correctly other than an external video processor.
post #1819 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:

You're reading correctly. Per umr, the PS3 needs to be set at 1080i to pass a 1080p24 signal. If you force it to 1080p, it will send BluRay at 1080p60 regardless of if the source can do 1080p24. If you set the PS3 to 1080i, it will negotiate and pass a 1080p24 signal. Weird, I know but this is how it works as I understand it, per Jeff, and the Epson and his instruments both concur with this setup.

-Geoff

Quote:

By the numbers, it looks really low, but since the room has zero light coming into it, it's actually pretty nice. I'll be moving the projector about 6' forward for more light soon. From what Jeff's said, moving the projector forward will not affect any of the calibrating that he's done; it'll just give me a brighter image.

First off, I was talking about a "locked on signal" from the PS3 as 1080/24.
This is the setting discussed as Epson tech claimed to perform the best output with less processing and more original quality of BD. This is the ONLY way to engage 2:2 pulldown and a completely different discussion as you are down converting the original 24/fps/hz material and forcing the PJ to up-convert it and automatically engage 2:3 pull down among other defaults to remedy the cadence structuring.

Also, whether or not your room is large or small the output of the PJ is "off the reservation" low. All reviews I had read with the said projector calibrated to D65, were some of the highest and in one instance (PJCentral) noted it to be one of only ~five PJs to actually output as claimed when calibrated to 6500k.

-MIP
post #1820 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 02:39 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlstad View Post

CR is not significantly affected by light output. The light output is low because the throw distance is near the limit for this projector. It is generally a bad idea to position a projector near its telephoto limits.

His picture was not dark, but it was not on the bright side either. Most people would find the picture very attractive. He happened to have vistors right as I was finishing the video calibration. They were stunned by the PQ. I believe most people would have the same impression.
post #1821 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Also, whether or not your room is large or small the output of the PJ is "off the reservation" low. All reviews I had read with the said projector calibrated to D65, were some of the highest and in one instance (PJCentral) noted it to be one of only ~five PJs to actually output as claimed when calibrated to 6500k.

-MIP

Without saying too much, there are more variables in play than the light output from the projector. The blacks are gorgeous, and the image is certainly bright enough for my viewing environment. I just need to move the projector another 6-feet forward and I believe I'll be spot-on. There's reading reviews, and /then/ there's owning the projector and watching it, post-calibration. The image isn't as bright as I'd like, but that'll be fixed in a couple weeks...but if I had to live with it as-is, I'd have nothing to complain about.
post #1822 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Without saying too much, there are more variables in play than the light output from the projector. The blacks are gorgeous, and the image is certainly bright enough for my viewing environment. I just need to move the projector another 6-feet forward and I believe I'll be spot-on. There's reading reviews, and /then/ there's owning the projector and watching it, post-calibration. The image isn't as bright as I'd like, but that'll be fixed in a couple weeks...but if I had to live with it as-is, I'd have nothing to complain about.

Understood...

-ENJOY!!!

-MIP
post #1823 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:

A PS3 is not as simple as you imply. The output resolution you set is not what it always sends. It is more like a suggestion. The PS3 is actually more correct about this than any other devices. Some sources should be sent at 1080i others at 1080p/24 and others at 720p. The PS3 will do this as it should if you know how to set it up. The PS3 is probably the trickiest source on the market to setup correctly other than an external video processor.

My discussion was BD specific. BTW, I attempted to send BD via PS3 to a 1080p RPTV that is (obviously) not 1080/24 compliant with the PS3 set to 24/hz (on) and the TV rejected it, that is a pretty good suggestion that the PS3 24hz setting does force it to send it as its originally formatted 24 fps output. The 1080i out put option was covered in an article that I posted from silicon optics on how the HQV (realta/reon) processes and up-converts various non 1080p signals to 1080p and "generally speaking" that would be 48/60 "for the most part". Don't know...

-MIP
post #1824 of 3169 Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can confirm that the 1080UB receives 23.90 Hz from the PS3 when watching a PS3 BD movie with video settings set to 1080p and 24Hz explicitly turned on. And yes, it will output 1080p24 even if the video settings is set to 1080i as long as 24Hz option is turned on. Think of them as two different settings.
post #1825 of 3169 Old 06-02-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I can confirm that the 1080UB receives 23.90 Hz from the PS3 when watching a PS3 BD movie with video settings set to 1080p and 24Hz explicitly turned on. And yes, it will output 1080p24 even if the video settings is set to 1080i as long as 24Hz option is turned on. Think of them as two different settings.

I believe you though I have not tried it myself as this topic is getting OT far enough. However, if what you say is true in reality then technically speaking it is an anomaly. Think about it...

-MIP
post #1826 of 3169 Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 AM

I just ordered my 1080UB, and hopefully it'll be here by Thursday. It also came with a new Harmony One Remote. Not a bad deal.
post #1827 of 3169 Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just ceiling mounted my 1080UB and I'm having some problems with image geometry. It seems as though I'm struggling with interaction between the yaw, tilt, swivel adjustment, and horizontal shift on the UB...plus I find tightening down the screws on the mount slightly modifies the image as well. Has anyone come across a procedure for properly aligning the screen when using a ceiling mount? Perhaps there's a test pattern other than the 1080UB blue screen pattern I should be using?
post #1828 of 3169 Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I don't think dust blobs are covered under warranty like scottwin said but im not 100% sure. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't know for sure either, but I based my comment on a couple of things I have read and heard.
- First I saw this comment in this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13784719 that indicated Epson would replace anything we weren't happy with.
- I also spoke with my 1080UB supplier (custom installer) who indicated Epson would replace it if you find dust blob in it. However, I'm not sure how strong your case will be if you get a dust blob after owning the PJ for 2 years. Then again from all that I've heard, Epson doesn't have a reputation for not standing by their replacement program.
- Plus, I didn't see any post from anyone that had a problem with a dust blob who indicated that Epson refused to replace it due to it sounding like a dust blob problem. It sounds like Epson doesn't acknowledge there is a dust blob problem so why would they deny a replacement?
post #1829 of 3169 Old 06-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Hello all.

We bought an Epson 1080UB last month. We have been considering a PJ for our home for over a year. I'm very technical and have a long history with consumer electronics. I researched projectors extensively for a year. All things considered, I have no reservations teling anyone that for under $3000, you can't beat the overall package the Epson gives you.
'
Just buy it.

OK, I have slugged through all 61 pages of replies on this thread. Thanks for all the info. It's been very informative. I need your collective help.

The issue is screens... My wife has reluctently agreed (!!!??) to let us put the projector in her living room. I know, it's amazing. It was going in the basement that I am refinishing, but after seeing LOST on a 120" image on our LR wall, and begging from me and my daughter, she was (mostly) won over. So, now, I need to figure out what is the best way to display the image in this situation. I have a failry large LR and I can easily display a 12 foot wide image with the 1080UB if I chose to. I don't. After playing extensively with settings and size, I have figured that 106" Diagonal is about the largest I would need or want.

SD TV looks awful on a big screen. Our PS3 Blu-Ray is great and our local cable company HD is pretty good (not great). So, if you are new to this stuff, be prepared for watcing SD TV really big and hating it.

I am running a 30 foot HDMI cale from an OPPO HDMI switcher which is fed from our cable box, the PS3 and an OPPO up converting DVD (just buy one, they are awesome). We love this setup and all is swell.

But, we are wondering if we spent a grand on a fixed screen, would it look a lot better than our off-white wall. So, all you 1080 UB owners and smart PJ people: Should we buy a screen? And if so, which one, whould it be white or gray? We have the 1080UB about 14 feet from the wall behind our couch and it is pretty level with the center of the image on the wall. We can make it pretty dark in the room if we have to. Most of our viewing is at night.

We are considering a 106 inch Da-lite Home Cinema but are totally open to your suggestions. This will be permanately mounted on the wall if we get one. Actually, we were surprised how good things look on just the wall...

All your help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to blab on; we need all the input we can get. What will give us the best image for say $1000-$1500 or so?

Regards, Jim
post #1830 of 3169 Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlawrence View Post

Hello all.

We bought an Epson 1080UB last month. We have been considering a PJ for our home for over a year. I'm very technical and have a long history with consumer electronics. I researched projectors extensively for a year. All things considered, I have no reservations teling anyone that for under $3000, you can't beat the overall package the Epson gives you.
'
Just buy it.

OK, I have slugged through all 61 pages of replies on this thread. Thanks for all the info. It's been very informative. I need your collective help.

The issue is screens... My wife has reluctently agreed (!!!??) to let us put the projector in her living room. I know, it's amazing. It was going in the basement that I am refinishing, but after seeing LOST on a 120" image on our LR wall, and begging from me and my daughter, she was (mostly) won over. So, now, I need to figure out what is the best way to display the image in this situation. I have a failry large LR and I can easily display a 12 foot wide image with the 1080UB if I chose to. I don't. After playing extensively with settings and size, I have figured that 106" Diagonal is about the largest I would need or want.

SD TV looks awful on a big screen. Our PS3 Blu-Ray is great and our local cable company HD is pretty good (not great). So, if you are new to this stuff, be prepared for watcing SD TV really big and hating it.

I am running a 30 foot HDMI cale from an OPPO HDMI switcher which is fed from our cable box, the PS3 and an OPPO up converting DVD (just buy one, they are awesome). We love this setup and all is swell.

But, we are wondering if we spent a grand on a fixed screen, would it look a lot better than our off-white wall. So, all you 1080 UB owners and smart PJ people: Should we buy a screen? And if so, which one, whould it be white or gray? We have the 1080UB about 14 feet from the wall behind our couch and it is pretty level with the center of the image on the wall. We can make it pretty dark in the room if we have to. Most of our viewing is at night.

We are considering a 106 inch Da-lite Home Cinema but are totally open to your suggestions. This will be permanately mounted on the wall if we get one. Actually, we were surprised how good things look on just the wall...

All your help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to blab on; we need all the input we can get. What will give us the best image for say $1000-$1500 or so?

Regards, Jim

Read the 1080UB review at projectorreviews.com for screen material suggestions.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...erformance.php
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page