AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

WARRANTY will be fixed!!

I just got word, that Panasonic will be amending their rebate form for the warranty extension.

It will read: 2 years or 4,000 hours instead of the 2 years or 2,000 hours as it reads now.

I'll let you know when the new rebate form is amended!

Yeehaw! You're the man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, let me get this straight...

There is no screen door effect even at 1.0X screen width? ie. No SDE with a 92" screen (80" wide), even at 6'8"?

Mind you for me that's probably far too close. I just find that impressive. It seems that people here seem to like to sit at somewhere around 1.0X screen diag at the very closest, but usually further, at closer to about 1.3X screen diag (or 1.5X screen width).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #363 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Liked: 11
Are the screw holes 5mm on the new Panny? Just want to make sure I have everyhting ready to go to compare it to my VPL-AW15...it should be here Friday.
post #364 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Puppy View Post

The Resident Evil opening eye shots are located here:

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c...%20Eye%20shot/

Thanks for all the pictures and information. While I really like the dark room output, the sports light output sucks big time. There seems to be no real change in lumens so daytime viewing is still as bad as the PT-AX100U. I ordered one and it should be here tomorrow. I guess I'll give to my sister seeing their Sanyo PLV-Z4 is going bad and stick with my PLV-80L, as I like watching sports without having to worry about the lighting.

Thanks Again

pif!
post #365 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

WARRANTY rebate form will be fixed!!

I just got word, that Panasonic will be amending their rebate form for the warranty extension.

It will read: 2 years or 4,000 hours instead of the 2 years or 2,000 hours as it reads now.

I'll let you know when the new rebate form is amended!

Thank's for the update. It's appreciated.
post #366 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by printf View Post

I ordered one and it should be here tomorrow. I guess I'll give to my sister seeing their Sanyo PLV-Z4 is going bad and stick with my PLV-80L, as I like watching sports without having to worry about the lighting.

Thanks Again

pif!

To give the AX200 its credit, u r comparing a $4000 PLV-80L to a $1299 PJ so its like comparing oranges to granola bars, more or less.

A closer comparison would be the Epson 400, Sony, Z4 ,etc......

Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

post #367 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Jud

I've been lurking for a bit, but today I decided to join the club and order up an AX200. Can't wait to see how much of an improvement it will be over my Z2.
post #368 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

So you are going to base your "sucks big time" on some screenshots eh? But with the light canon you have, I can see where you're coming from with your need of lights on for sports.

3000 Lumens vs. 2000 Lumens.

$5999 vs $1299

1000:1 vs 6000:1

Cost to benefit ratio? Of course, each situation is different and people have different needs.

Nice guy, you're sister will love you!

The Truth IS out there!
post #369 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
can i have sex change and become his new sister who else would do that for free PJ?

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #370 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the pictures and information. While I really like the dark room output, the sports light output sucks big time. There seems to be no real change in lumens so daytime viewing is still as bad as the PT-AX100U. I ordered one and it should be here tomorrow. I guess I'll give to my sister seeing their Sanyo PLV-Z4 is going bad and stick with my PLV-80L, as I like watching sports without having to worry about the lighting.

Thanks Again

pif!

Remember, all those sports shots were taken with the exact same amount of light, which was depicted in the "behind the bar" shot.

I was playing around with the apeture/ exposure in a lot of those pics, which is why some of them will look washed out. But with the washed out appearing pics, it will more accurately show how much light was in the room.

When shrapnel hits your tent, it sounds like rain...

My old AX-200 Home theater:

post #371 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Sick

Dont even bother defending your pics to the AX200 haters....I think u've done a wonderful job already and a lot of people (incl ex AX100 owners) are pissed off at Panny for fixing the IRIS issue on the AX200 (hopefully) and also extending the warranty to 2 years and YET keeping the price tag below $1300 while the AX100 debut at $1999 not to long ago. Not to mention the fact that many others who bought other expensive 720p PJ's and are trying to justify/defend their purchase.

With me, once I have my AX200 and calibrated the way I like, u wont see me here anymore....sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

post #372 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks Again

pif!

How about posting some photos of your PLV-80L with all the lights on. I'd like to see how a low contrast unit seems to be better than this new Panny.
post #373 of 3128 Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Just trying to help out my fellow AVSers; no worries. I'm pretty thick skinned about things, so I usually don't take stuff personally.

With pjs, it seems there is some sense of brand loyalty, but not to the extreme of say Ford vs. Chevy. What I like is how the technology is advancing. For the most part, each manufacturer is leap-frogging one another in advances while lowering the overall price-point. With that, we are all winners. Face it, this pj will be outdated in 6 months by something truly better.

I was on the fence for quite a while, enduring my old Mitsu HC100 and waiting for the right tech, pj, features, price etc. to come along. I figured out that if i kept on waiting, I would be watching that crappy 480P projector for too long. I made an educatted decision and am very pleased with what I ended up with.

Remember, there is always something better out there...it just usually costs more.

Cheers,
JD

post #374 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:

Just trying to help out my fellow AVSers; no worries. I'm pretty thick skinned about things, so I usually don't take stuff personally.

Just wanted to give you my thanks as well; I have been waffling back and forth trying to pick my first PJ but I am pretty sure it will be the new AX-200. This seems to suit my situation perfectly.

If I could just see one in person beforehand... Are they normally stocked at any of the B&Ms? I called around my area (TX panhandle) but to no avail.
post #375 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 AM

I have the HD version of DVD Essentials. It doesn't have a tutorial? Does anyone else have or use this disc?
Any luck?
post #376 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If I am doing the projector calculator correctly, I will have to have a zoom of 1.5-2x's to get my 100" screen from a throw of about 10-11 ft. Or close to that.

With that said...does "zooming" affect picture quality on the PT-AX200u's?

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #377 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 AM

no, its an optical zoom. Like a SLR camera. Digital processing affects signal quality, hence digital zoom.
post #378 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Remember, all those sports shots were taken with the exact same amount of light, which was depicted in the "behind the bar" shot.

I was playing around with the apeture/ exposure in a lot of those pics, which is why some of them will look washed out. But with the washed out appearing pics, it will more accurately show how much light was in the room.

I don't know why people think I was comparing anything. All I was saying is that I was hoping that lumens were going to be enough to use the PT-AX200u for daytime viewing. I don't think thats comparing anything. My only observation is that the image looks washed out with just a little bit of light on, which I was hoping would not be the case. As for the image quality (dark room), it's truly breathtaking, much, much better than my PLV-80, but the PLV-80 can be used in a room without worrying about any light, which I was wanting for my living room to replace my PLV-80 because it's so big. I have JVC DLA-RS1 for my theater room so that was not the purpose of my wanting PT-AX200u, again I only wanted it for daytime viewing.
post #379 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I don't know why people think I was comparing anything. All I was saying is that I was hoping that lumens were going to be enough to use the PT-AX200u for daytime viewing. I don't think thats comparing anything. My only observation is that the image looks washed out with just a little bit of light on, which I was hoping would not be the case. As for the image quality (dark room), it's truly breathtaking, much, much better than my PLV-80, but the PLV-80 can be used in a room without worrying about any light, which I was wanting for my living room to replace my PLV-80 because it's so big. I have JVC DLA-RS1 for my theater room so that was not the purpose of my wanting PT-AX200u, again I only wanted it for daytime viewing.

No worries; I've got ya covered. Find the best sports shot in that group and that's what it really looks like with the lights on. The camera cannot capture the proper light levels in both the room and the on the screen.

If you get one through PP, they have a 30 full refund or exchange policy. The only caveat is, the lamp must have 4 hours or less of use. And they have them in stock with free ground shipping.

post #380 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

How about posting some photos of your PLV-80L with all the lights on. I'd like to see how a low contrast unit seems to be better than this new Panny.

I took the PLV-80 down because I was going to replace it so I can't give you any images of it in my living room which has a lot windows. I also don't have a camera at home, I have it at the office. My son hooked up the PLV-80, he has it sitting on a table in his room pointing at 104 elite screen, here is picture with my camera phone (3.2MP), it not that great but the room is bright from 4 windows that are in back of the projector, it should give you idea just how bright the PLV-80 is, even in very bright room.

post #381 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, Carada suggested I get a grey screen with my mounting distance of 9' and my screen size of 88". I will reserve my final decision until I get the fabric samples though.

Out of interest's sake, how many of you are using grey screens with this projector?

|
|
|
post #382 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

So, Carada suggested I get a grey screen with my mounting distance of 9' and my screen size of 88". I will reserve my final decision until I get the fabric samples though.

Out of interest's sake, how many of you are using grey screens with this projector?

I oringally was going to get a Da-Lite HP screen with a 106" size and 18' throw distance. The Projector People rep told me that that was too much gain and hot spotting "may" occur. She urged me to get a Hi Contrast Matte White screen instead and that's what's on it's way to my house. I have ambient light in this room too. We will see how it performs but if it works for me under my much more demanding circumstances i'd say you'll be fine. The HCMW screen has a very slight gray tint from my understanding (I haven't recieved it yet).

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
post #383 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 AM

someone needs to work on their photoshop skills.
post #384 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 AM

another user review at projector central.

Quote:

Personal Experience
I placed the order for PT-AX200U the day the review here was posted with the price. I received it last night and once I had the right cables to my DVD player and cable box it took less than 20 minutes to put up a big bright picture in a tiny room (9 ½ feet). As sharp as I will ever want with solid colors. The 100 HDTV image of Dallas almost loosing to Buffalo was too bright for my wife with indirect light on - turned it down easily. Maybe I will run in economode forever. Using the DVD player I displayed a bit of Lord of the Rings with excellent results and I do not yet have the up-scaling optimized.
It is hard to believe that this much projector can be purchased for $****! I have been generally happy with my earlier projector that I bought (using bids generated from this web site) three and a half yeas ago for twice the price (NEC LT240) However the NEC specs were starting to show their age.
Although I checked excellent for reliability I have only had the projector for one day - time will tell. I should clean the air filter once every two or three months. The cabling is less than optimum - I will have HDMI cables for all my devices in a few days (btw - do not buy HDMI cables, etc. from local retail stores; they will way overcharge). I bought what I needed for less than $** per cable.

Problems
No problems yet. I did need someone to stand near the screen and tell me when the image was focused - my eyes are not good enough when standing behind the projector. The manual gives two different distances for cooling clearence around the projector; I believe that the 4" distance is correct.

post #385 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question from a current RP DLP owner (also had FP DLP at my last home) thinking of purchasing the AX-200:

Is this PJ like most LCD's that have filters requiring cleaning?

I plan to use it maybe 3-4 hours per night, and more on the weekends (perhaps 8-10 solid on a Sunday).

Would I better off with DLP with this type of usage requirement? I've heard of the blue LCD going bad with heavy use? My last DLP FP worked like a champ with heavy use. No fuss, nothing to clean ever. But this AX-200 is giving me the itch to buy, instead of maybe a DLP in a similar price range (I like the zoom on the LCD PJ's, which I could use for this new installation).

Thanks.

Jon

post #386 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 AM

what is the max size i can get from about 12 feet away? I want to ceiling mount this projector right behind my ceiling fan. the fan is 10' away from that wall. So from about 12 feet away I planned on mounting this pj as high up as possible without having the ceiling fan be in the way. just kinda worried that when people stand up they will be in the way of the screen.

room is 17' wide and 20' long. again the fan is right in the middle of the room and the ceiling height is only 8'. Is there a way I can figure out the dispersion of the pj to get an idea if this setup will work?

edit for pics of my dillema

post #387 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 AM

one more quick note about the pics... Ceiling height is 8' 3" and to the bottom of the fan light is 7'..

Just wondering if I will be able to ceiling mount or if I should be looking at other options..
post #388 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

The warranty rebate form has been changed. I am not sure if it is posted on Panny's site yet. I'm glad they saw the light and corrected their form! I do have it in my possesion though. I can email it to anyone who wants it.

The Truth IS out there!
post #389 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 AM

anyone using this thing with an optoma grey wolf fixed screen? If not, what screen do you recommend for a light controlled room with an emphasis on watching football???
post #390 of 3128 Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.92 View Post

Just wanted to give you my thanks as well; I have been waffling back and forth trying to pick my first PJ but I am pretty sure it will be the new AX-200. This seems to suit my situation perfectly.

If I could just see one in person beforehand... Are they normally stocked at any of the B&Ms? I called around my area (TX panhandle) but to no avail.

Hey James,
There is an AX100 down in San Marcos at the Bose outlet if you ever get down that way...it should be pretty close.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax200u 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax200u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page