Official AX-200 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The reason why I intially agreed because of my own personal usage of my projector.

When I had my 4805, I mainly used my TV for normal watching and the PJ just for movies and games.

Also, when I had the 4805, viewing during the day was not the best.

But now that I have the Panny, I will be using my PJ a lot more especially in the early evening to watch TV.

I'll still use the TV for kid shows during the day for my children.

So, like I retracted, it depends on how you watch shows/movies and whether you will be happy or not with what you go with; PJ or TV.

-Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

So, 92" is too big for my tastes. 88" is OK, but shortly after I set the projector up, I started puking... No, not because of the image, but because I got food poisoning from the restaurant I went to a little earlier. Thus, I didn't get too much testing of the AX200U done yesterday.

Anyways, I think I'll go for an 84" for my 9' seating distance. That's a seating distance of 1.5X screen width. (73" x 1.5 = 110" or 9'2")

What game is that?
post #453 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's not a game. It's a movie.

Actually I mentioned it in the post:
Quote:

Pitch Black, from the 360 HD DVD, over VGA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #454 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
OMG - now I'm gonna have to go get an HD-DVD player too!
post #455 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Pitch Black.
Can't think of a better movie to check out contrast and shadow detail.
post #456 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, besides the fact it was handy at the time, it was one of the reasons I chose that movie to demo. Not only are the dark scenes dark, the bright scenes are very bright.

I wonder if I had my IRE settings incorrect though. The default for the 360 is Standard, which is IRE 7.5. I'll try IRE 0 (Expanded) to see if that looks better on the Panasonic. I think I had it on Intermediate and it looked OK but not stellar for blacks. (Note that I'm just viewing it on a painted wall at the moment, so take all these assessments with a grain of salt.)

The other thing to test is to see how IRE 0 looks for games. Perhaps one might want to switch to IRE 0 for movies, but consider IRE 7.5 for dark games like Gears of War.

So much to test, so little time...

|
|
|
post #457 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone please link me to a 25 feet component cable that I can pair up to the XBox 360 to the PJ?

I'm assuming it should be a male-female styple cable but can't find it at monoprice.com

Appreciated
Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

post #458 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Can someone please link me to a 25 feet component cable that I can pair up to the XBox 360 to the PJ?

I'm assuming it should be a male-female styple cable but can't find it at monoprice.com

Appreciated
Frag

You need a coupler that looks like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

-Larry

post #459 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahl View Post

You need a coupler that looks like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Highly appreciated.

On the same note, those that have the older premiums (non-HDMI), are u preferring components over VGA or vice versa for the AX200?

Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

post #460 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

can someone take a photograph of the rear of the unit where the power cord and video cables connect? I'm trying to determine how deep the total space requirement might be for a shelf mount scenario.

Also, if I were to mount my PJ on a rear shelf and I needed / wanted to place the projector upside down (similar to ceiling mounting) so that the lens is oriented on the opposite side of the projector would I need use some rubber grommets (or something similar) to rest the projector? It looks like the top of the projector case is rounded and has menu buttons that would likely not do well if the projector was placed directly on it's casing (in the upside down position).

Thanks!

bradesp
post #461 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradesp View Post

can someone take a photograph of the rear of the unit where the power cord and video cables connect? I'm trying to determine how deep the total space requirement might be for a shelf mount scenario.

Also, if I were to mount my PJ on a rear shelf and I needed / wanted to place the projector upside down (similar to ceiling mounting) so that the lens is oriented on the opposite side of the projector would I need use some rubber grommets (or something similar) to rest the projector? It looks like the top of the projector case is rounded and has menu buttons that would likely not do well if the projector was placed directly on it's casing (in the upside down position).

From the Projector Central review:

|
|
|
post #462 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM

just wondering if this projector upscales or not. I'm trying to piece together a good HT room, and need to know if I should get an AVR that upscales or if this projector will do that for me.

My biggest concern is the quality of my Direct TV HD receiver when watching SD content. I would like to clean up the SD content as best possible so will the Panny do this or do I need to drop big bucks on a AVR with upscaling???

thanks guys!
post #463 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

bradesp

Unless you can bend the cables really well, you'll need an additional 4 inches behind the projector. Also, there is a vent back there and on the left of the unit if viewing from the back.

With the lens shift, you won't need to mount it upside down on a shelf. You can go pretty extreme with the movement.

-Larry

post #464 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Yeah, this is quite annoying. I'm using VGA cables and I'm trying to get it to display 1280x720 with my Xbox and it won't align the picture.

I did the auto adjust and it shoved it as far right as it could but there's still a 8 inch black bar on the right.

Anyone know how to get into the service menu to adjust the position of the picture?

I'll just keep it in 1280x768 right now since it can align that.

Here's what it did for 1280x768:

H-Position= +42
V-Position= -8
Dot Clock= -6
Clock Phase= +5

Strange. I used to have the same problem with my AE900 over VGA. But Microsoft released a patch awhile back which fixed the issue for me. Are you sure you cant adjust the dot clock and phase more in order to get true 1280x720 over VGA?

Other areas of interest

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #465 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM

I've just powered my new AX200 up for the first time. I'm very happy with the focus and convergence, they look great even on very close inspection. Fan noise is very low and quite acceptable. Zoom and focus rings rotate very smoothly and easily. The offset control works well.

The brightness is still an open question because I don't have my screen yet and I'm projecting onto a dark green matte wall in a room with no ambient light. Under these conditions it seems a bit dim, but that's to be expected I guess. I don't see all that much change to brightness between the Cinema 1, 2, Natural, Vivid and other modes other than colour intensity shifting a bit, and I don't see anything happen to brightness when I change from Normal to Eco-Mode in the lamp operation. I presume that these observations on brightness don't count until I've got a proper screen of some sort. The DW diy screen will be in place by next Monday.

I taped a few samples of white on the wall and things looked more promising. How do I actually measure the lumens hitting the screen? Anyone have links to technical descriptions of this?
post #466 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM

I just downloaded the extended warranty form from PP for my new projector. It says 2 year 4000 hour? Can this be correct? I have seen another one that says 2 year 2000 hour. Anyway I am sending in the form that says 4000 hours.

Also, I just hooked it up. On some material it has a blinking white bar across the very top of the image. How can I correct?

forkdeath
post #467 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

bradesp

You need three inches of clearance for the cables. You could get by with less if you used an HDMI angle adapter.

The sensor for the light harmonizer is on top. If you turn the projector upside down on a shelf you might cover it.

Karl S.
post #468 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkdeath View Post

I just downloaded the extended warranty form from PP for my new projector. It says 2 year 4000 hour? Can this be correct? I have seen another one that says 2 year 2000 hour. Anyway I am sending in the form that says 4000 hours.

Also, I just hooked it up. On some material it has a blinking white bar across the very top of the image. How can I correct?

forkdeath

It's correct: 2 years / 4000 hours.
post #469 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Yes, besides the fact it was handy at the time, it was one of the reasons I chose that movie to demo. Not only are the dark scenes dark, the bright scenes are very bright.

I wonder if I had my IRE settings incorrect though. The default for the 360 is Standard, which is IRE 7.5. I'll try IRE 0 (Expanded) to see if that looks better on the Panasonic. I think I had it on Intermediate and it looked OK but not stellar for blacks. (Note that I'm just viewing it on a painted wall at the moment, so take all these assessments with a grain of salt.)

IRE 0 (aka "Expanded") on the Xbox 360 via VGA makes a HUGE difference in quality of black levels in movies.

I haven't tested HDMI or component, but I'm guessing that the projector would use IRE 7.5 ("Standard") just fine. However, for VGA, blacks are simply too light if you give the projector an IRE 7.5 black input.

I guess that Panasonic has (appropriately) configured the PT-AX200U for computer input over VGA, and computer input would be IRE 0.

Quote:

The other thing to test is to see how IRE 0 looks for games. Perhaps one might want to switch to IRE 0 for movies, but consider IRE 7.5 for dark games like Gears of War.

This is too much of a pain. Its easier to just use IRE 0 all the time, and then switch to Game mode on the projector to increase the light output for dark games. Games like Dead Or Alive 4 are fine in Cinema 1 mode though with my setup.

BTW, while "black" is much blacker now with the IRE 0 setting, dark shadow detail remains OK, but not stellar. But then again I wasn't expecting a CRT. I do own a CRT HDTV so I'm a bit spoiled - I judge all other TVs by that CRT's shadow detail. I do also have a Toshiba Regza LCD TV, and truthfully its shadow detail isn't much better than the Panasonic projector's in Cinema 1 mode, so overall I'm quite pleased with this projector.

Oh and while Game mode decreases lag time, I don't actually notice any lag in Cinema 1 mode, so obviously the amount of lag with this projector isn't huge to begin with. It certainly isn't the laggy mess of TVs from yesteryear.

|
|
|
post #470 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

forkdeath

You doubted me?

The Truth IS out there!
post #471 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRon View Post

The brightness is still an open question because I don't have my screen yet and I'm projecting onto a dark green matte wall...

Put up some black out cloth, a white panel board or two coats of killz on the wall and come back with a blinding report.

post #472 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Put up some black out cloth, a white panel board or two coats of killz on the wall and come back with a blinding report.

I was going to say; I about blinded myself last night.

I walked up to the screen to check out the smooth screen technology and when I turned around I thought I went blind.

-Larry

post #473 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just hooked it up. On some material it has a blinking white bar across the very top of the image. How can I correct?

forkdeath

SD content? That's the SAP audio track and Closed Captioning signal. Use the overscan function to crop that off.
post #474 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to say; I about blinded myself last night.

I walked up to the screen to check out the smooth screen technology and when I turned around I thought I went blind.

Ouch! BTW: what is your record for the sun stare contest?
post #475 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Funny thing is, I don't even think I looked directly into the lens.

But not to sidetrack too much;

Question: Since this projector can handle 1080 really well, should I set my DVD player to that or just keep it at 720. I know the native resolution of the Panny is 720, but I just want to know if it can handle it well enough that it increases PQ.

-Larry

post #476 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny thing is, I don't even think I looked directly into the lens.

But not to sidetrack too much;

Question: Since this projector can handle 1080 really well, should I set my DVD player to that or just keep it at 720. I know the native resolution of the Panny is 720, but I just want to know if it can handle it well enough that it increases PQ.

If you were using an HDDVD or Blu-Ray player, I would say set to 1080p and forget about it but for all other sources, send them through at 720p and then at 1080i and see what you like better. That's what really matters!
post #477 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the convergence tip. The white bar at the top is just not SD material, I get it on xbox360 over component watching hd video as several solid white dots top row middle. I am running the signal through 2 switch boxes (don't ask). I am going to remove them both tomorrow as a test.

forkdeath
post #478 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Somebody asked about computer resolutions a while back.

Well, my computer over VGA didn't detect the AX200U as anything specific, just as an LCD. So, I was limited to resolutions like 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x768, etc. All of these looked terrible.

So, I put a custom rez of 1280x720 on my laptop. The MacBook accepted that resolution, and it looks great on the Panasonic. I tried 1920x1080 (60 Hz), but for some reason it doesn't get displayed correctly. I think it's a problem with the MacBook's output though, because 1920x1080 from the Xbox 360 works fine.

Quote:

Thanks for the convergence tip. The white bar at the top is just not SD material, I get it on xbox360 over component watching hd video as several solid white dots top row middle. I am running the signal through 2 switch boxes (don't ask). I am going to remove them both tomorrow as a test.

What happens if you use the vertical adjustment to shift the image up? Does it get rid of the white dots without introducing a black bar at the bottom?

|
|
|
post #479 of 3123 Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Pulled the trigger tonight on the AX-200 from Proj. People.

Ordered a 25ft component (Xbox 360) and 25ft HDMI (D* HR-20 DVR) from Monoprice as well.

Time to build my screen, my 8x5ft laminate (Designer White) from Home Depot will be here tomorrow!

Anyone have recommendations for a cheap mount? I need a 2ft pole mount to drop it down from the subfloor in the basement (unfinished) to the proper height.

I found this article on building your own mount and the DIY'er in my is interested in something like that rather than a pivot type of mount that I had in a previous setup:

http://www.gadgetopia.com/post/4850

Jon

post #480 of 3123 Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm having mine delivered tomorrow. Reading the whole thread, people seem enthuiastic, but not blown away by this PJ. I bought it to replace my MTS 1000 for the extra lumens, as I have a 133" diagonal screen. When the MITS came out people were falling over themselves saying it was the greatest PJ for the money ever. I don't see that here. Comments?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax200u 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax200u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page