post #541 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

The dim vs. fail question concerns me. My PJ is the only display I watch, and other members of my family watch it at other times, so we can easily put 2000 hours a year on it. If the warranty forces me to keep watching a dim bulb (e.g. past 3000 hours), then it is useless unless the bulb has a complete failure.

Even if you lose half your lumens you still have more light than most other machines when they were new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
Got my AX200U earlier this afternoon. It's all set up now and will be comparing it to my Sony VPL-AW15 over the next couple days.

Thus far, the Panny is as expected. Very bright...good picture out of the box (at least on mine).

Only spent a little bit of time doing the comparisons, but I would actually give the edge on contrast to the Sony. Things just seem to "pop" beter on the Sony.

I do however have a slight issue with the Sony that I just discovered today. When I'm on an inactive input (blue screen) there is what seems to be a few (3-4) very faint vertical lines running the length of the picture (right in the center of the image). There also appears to be a small "dust blob" near the center of the screen as well. You can't really see any of these issues with a live picture showing on the Sony, only while I'm on an inactive input (blue screen).

So, looks like I'll be returning the Sony...mostly because of the issues noted above...and while I still can return it.

Now, the Panny just has to please me after putting more hours on it and hope the previous issues with the AE900 and AX100 series have been fixed. Time will only tell I guess.

One question I do have on the Panny is does anyone have discrete remote codes (Logitech Harmony) for the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs?

Thanks

Mike
post #543 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymart View Post

Thanks for the info. Do you know what the drop ratio is on the projector? There may be a more technical term for it but I am just wondering how much the image drops from the lens per foot of distance it travels...Just trying to decide how tall my friends can be to come over and watch.....LOL

Anyone? Given that I have 7'4" ceilings and the shortest mount that I have seen is a 6" drop, I would guess that would put the lens at about 6'8". I would like to mount it at 15' from screen as that would be using a little zoom but still maintaining the recommendations that I have read about staying further back...so if my seating is at 12' would I have to worry about the image being blocked every time someone stands up from the couch?
post #544 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymart View Post

Anyone? Given that I have 7'4" ceilings and the shortest mount that I have seen is a 6" drop, I would guess that would put the lens at about 6'8". I would like to mount it at 15' from screen as that would be using a little zoom but still maintaining the recommendations that I have read about staying further back...so if my seating is at 12' would I have to worry about the image being blocked every time someone stands up from the couch?

I have the exact same problem as you do. I have ceilings that are about 8 feet, but I have to drop the projector down to about 7 to avoid a celing fan. Now i'm worried by doing so that anytime someone stands up they will be in the way. anyone care to give some "dispersion" technical info???
post #545 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Falejczyk View Post

Sorry j-bo for completely ignoring your true statement about this thread being about projectors...and not screens or anything else...but I can't think of anywhere better to ask this about HD-DVD players....

If I buy this exact projector, is there any benefit of spending another $100 on the Toshiba HD-A30 (1080p) unit over the Toshiba HD-A3 (720p/1080i) player...other than perhaps planning for the future? The PT-AX200 can accept a 1080p signal, so does anymore know if the A30 will be a better match to the AX200, over the A3?

Thanks,
Jason

That supposedly 1080P is a conversion...it is not a straight 1080p. For that you need the XA2!
Personally I would get the A2!
post #546 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I haven't done much tweaking, but out-of-the-box the Panny isn't stellar for dark shadow detail. However, I'm not surprised, since the AX100U wasn't known as being the best one out there for dark shadow detail either. It's about what I expected - which is good but not absolutely great. Other aspects are great though.

However, I may not be in the best position to judge at the moment. My walls are pretty light, so they'd reflect a fair amount of light, which would reduce apparent contrast/detail.

I specifically avoided the Sony Bravia VPL-AW15 because of its reportedly obvious screen door effect. Also I decided against the Optoma HD72 because the placement was going to be a pain. People talk about the Panasonic being sharp. Well, I dunno, it's maybe not razor sharp, but then again that's never been a primary concern of mine. It's sharp enough for my needs anyway. If I was really concerned about sharpness, I wouldn't be putting my projector at 9' away from the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubmo View Post

Hello friends, got my AX200 in a couple of days ago and let me start out by saying I am feeling a little pissy about the hyped-up "Game Mode". We played Halo 3 and 2 and after switching between Game mode and Normal mode between different maps numerous times, we couldn't tell the difference between the two at all.

Normal is pretty bright. Game mode is bright(er?) and decreases lag time. Mind you, I find the lag time already very minimal in the other modes, but then again I'm not a hardcore gamer.

Quote:
As a side note, fired up the satellite DVR with the highest quality output coming from it being (gulp) S-video, and cringed as I was expecting it to look like utter crap, but I switched it to Cinema 2 (if I remember correctly) and it smoothed out a lot of the compression imperfections, and was actually tolerable.

Good to hear. I don't have my cable box setup there yet so I haven't tested that yet.

Quote:
And just in case not everyone is paying attention - BuGsArEtAsTy's member designation - now that's someone excited by AV! LOL

post #547 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 06:00 PM
csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmas View Post

I have the exact same problem as you do. I have ceilings that are about 8 feet, but I have to drop the projector down to about 7 to avoid a celing fan. Now i'm worried by doing so that anytime someone stands up they will be in the way. anyone care to give some "dispersion" technical info???

I have the exact same throw seating and ceiling height. I had people over for a movie and didnt notice anyone walking by the screen.

Hope that helps
post #548 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Jdiehl,

I completely subscribe and preach your viewpoint to lots of people! I've never bought an extended warranty on anything I can think of. In this rare instance however I opted to get the bulb warranty. Peace of mind I suppose. 3 months is not a long time and $400 is a slightly expensive bulb. If this projector lasts me 3 years, thats fine, I'll be onto the next one...hopefully laser lit bright 1080 by then!

George, Thanks for the reference. Fortunately, I won't be using it quite that hard, but when the race is on Sundays and I have people over I don't wanna have to worry about running "eco mode" to save bulb life.

Dr V
post #549 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 PM

Another thing you can do if you are worried about when someone stands up...use the popular term "Down in front" as I do. Best whilst watching a comedy I noticed. My 3 cents.

Life IS good
post #550 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... HD DVD looks totally awesome, but DVD upscaled by the Xbox 360 over VGA looks like fuzzy crap. I wonder if using component and letting the AX200U do the upscaling would give me better results.

IOW, which has the better upscaler, the Xbox 360 or the AX200U projector, or are they similar? I'm thinking that the Xbox 360 upscaler just isn't that good, since jaggies are fairly prevalent. I don't have an HDMI HD DVD player for my AX200U yet. I have a 1080i model (A2) for the other TV, but was thinking of getting a 1080p24 capable model later on, once Toshiba sorts out the firmware issues, and prices drop too.

In the meantime, I'd better expand my HD DVD budget.
post #551 of 3116 Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Hmmm... HD DVD looks totally awesome, but DVD upscaled by the Xbox 360 over VGA looks like fuzzy crap. I wonder if using component and letting the AX200U do the upscaling would give me better results.

In the meantime, I'd better expand my HD DVD budget.

Yeah like Transformers on Tuesday! Bet that's gonna look nice in HD!
I use a cheapo dvd player for my Upstairs TV...I put the A2 on the PJ!
post #552 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
LENS SHIFT

On page 17 of the manual, it says: "when the projector is located right in front of the screen, and the lens shift dial is centered, you with get the BEST QUALITY of the projected image." [caps mine]

Does this mean using the lens shift, other than centered, degrades picture quality?
post #553 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I believe lens shifting will 'curve' the top/bottom of the screen (and left/right edges too) when shifting horizontally (or vertially). I think that's what they mean by picture degradation... should not be an issue with proper masking material.

Degradation on regular projectors, by using keystone adjustments, is FAR GREATER. Lens shifting is the way to go.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #554 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know of a good looking ceiling mount that is custom made for the Panasonic, matches the panasonic white finish and has a nice cable management system?

I don't want universal because they tend to look rather industrial with the mechanic arms and adjustment controls for accommodating various different models.

Thanks!

bradesp
post #555 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 01:38 PM

so from what I gather here is you get a better picture the farther the pj is from the screen?

so for a 120'' screen ill get a sharper pic from 16' than I would from 13'? is that correct?
post #556 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Liked: 11
Add me to the list of AX200U owners. After my AX100U crapped out 3 times in 7 months with a flickering image problem, Panasonic agreed to have me send it in for a refund. Yesterday, I bought the AX200U and had it overnighted to me.

As stunned as I was with the picture on the 100 when I first installed it, I was literally slack-jawed with the picture on the 200. It seems SIGNIFICANTLY brighter in ambient light than my 100. In fact, my son and I had no problem playing Xbox 360 during the afternoon with a ton of ambient light. My wife walked in and even commented that picture looked much brighter.

I just pray that this model doesn't suffer the same problems as the AX100U. I came so close to getting an Epson Home Cinema 400 -- I don't want to regret sticking with Panny.
post #557 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well now that I have found this thread I really feel like my day was wasted. I took my 50" Pio Elite plasma from down the basement and installed it in the family room. So now I have this completely finished huge basement with a Yammy 2500 receiver, B&W speakers and a Paradigm sub and I want to add a projector and screen. Stopped at two places today and was really surprised that what they were recommending was nothing under $5500.

So now that I have found reality with this Panny 200 I want to see if there are any specific component recommendations that can be made. I'd like at least a 120" screen...is this possible...can I go larger? I can control the ambient and room light. Seating can be as close as 5' or from 25' or anywhere inbetween. Drop ceiling will allow me to mount the PJ where ever is necessary.

Do I opt for HD or Blu Ray DVD? I watch a lot of HD sports (via Comcast programming) and a ton of concert videos. With this setup I have no doubt we will watch more movies.

Any recommendations on dvd/screen size/cables/etc.?

Add me to the owners club in a few days.

--JK
post #558 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 PM
KMR

-Has anyone upgraded from the HD1000U to this projector?

-Anyone using it in a white room? If so, how are blacks and what type of screen are you using?

-I read earlier that the 200 could take a 1080p24 signal and display it as 720p72. Is this a confirmed feature? How good is it?

I'm sorry if I missed the answers to any of these questions earlier in the topic, but I've read reading through it a bit at a time every day, so it's a bit hard to remember every little detail.
post #559 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 04:47 PM

quick question. what is the ideal height to project the image. if you have 120'' screen it works out to about 62'' tall. so with an 8' ceiling how close would you set the top of your screen to the ceiling? would you center it exactly or is it the higher the better or vice versa?
post #560 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

post #561 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:

quick question. what is the ideal height to project the image. if you have 120'' screen it works out to about 62'' tall. so with an 8' ceiling how close would you set the top of your screen to the ceiling? would you center it exactly or is it the higher the better or vice versa?

Google "screen viewing height" (or some variation thereof) It's good to read up on it a little. There is actually a "rule of thumb" out there for optimum screen height in relation to the seated viewer.

Joe
post #562 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post

-Has anyone upgraded from the HD1000U to this projector?

-Anyone using it in a white room? If so, how are blacks and what type of screen are you using?

-I read earlier that the 200 could take a 1080p24 signal and display it as 720p72. Is this a confirmed feature? How good is it?

I'm sorry if I missed the answers to any of these questions earlier in the topic, but I've read reading through it a bit at a time every day, so it's a bit hard to remember every little detail.

Yes. I went from the Mits to get the extra lumens. I have a huge sceen just on a white wall, about 166" diaganol. I like a DLP picture better, and thiis PJ seems to clip whites, but a nice advantage in lumens. I'm also using a 1st gen HD DVD player, and really have to tweak to get the picture right. The Panny seems to do well with upconverting from my Tosh, though. PM me for more info and to exchange information.
post #563 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Got my proj Friday and spent today playing with the HDTV settings. If you have the Scientific Atlanta cable box (8300) I found the best settings for the box is to set it to deliver all formats, (480i to 1080i) and then set it to "Pass through". It seems like my AX200 produced a pretty nice picture this way. Of course 480i stations were weak but at least they aren't totally unwatchable. Stations coming in at 1080 look great of course!

(Correction, I found I get a much clearer picture setting the box to upconvert1 rather that passthrough)

Joe
post #564 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
ahro, wha tdo you have to tweak on the first gen HD-DVD Toshiba?

The picture is marvelous on upconversion and HD-DVD...even on the "first gen" models!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #565 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the PT-AX200E the same thing as the PT-AX200U?

I'm programming my Harmony 880 remote and there is no PT-AX200U option, but there is a PT-AX200E which seems identical.
post #566 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Considering getting this at my first PJ, but as with all LCD devices I'm scared of the usual..

...has anyone found any dead or stuck pixels on their AX200? What's Panasonic's policy on that?

=Tommy v2=
post #567 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM

Liked: 12
As i've mentioned before, i'm pretty set on this PJ, but still debating on Screen brand and gain. definitely going with a 120".

Being that most of us are using the AX200U with ambient lighting, what kind of gain did you go with for your screen?

Was a 1.0 gain sufficient for your setup?

Please post your screen brand, type and gain

thanks for your feedback
post #568 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Is the PT-AX200E the same thing as the PT-AX200U?

I'm programming my Harmony 880 remote and there is no PT-AX200U option, but there is a PT-AX200E which seems identical.

The PT-AX200E settings for the Harmony remote work for the PT-AX200U. It even hits the power off button twice as necessary.

The only issue is the keypad's direction buttons on the Harmony remote don't seem to do anything when the projector is configured to be used with something else. I have to use the programmed buttons, which is a pain. However, that seems to be a remote software issue, and nothing to do with the projector itself.
post #569 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJoe View Post

Google "screen viewing height" (or some variation thereof) It's good to read up on it a little. There is actually a "rule of thumb" out there for optimum screen height in relation to the seated viewer.

Joe

The rule of thumb is your eyes should be at least 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen when seated.

With my 120" screen, I have it about 2 feet off the ground.
post #570 of 3116 Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so from what I gather here is you get a better picture the farther the pj is from the screen?

so for a 120'' screen ill get a sharper pic from 16' than I would from 13'? is that correct?

The closer the better.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax200u 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page