Official AX-200 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone know the ceiling mount bolt hole size?

Edit : Hey Larry, I like that rope light behind the screen frame idea on the old screen!

Thanx,
Dr V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kono144 View Post

I am planning to purchase this projector which will be my first projector purchase. I have two placement options which I am hoping someone could provide me some advice on. I have a room that is 14W x 22D with 8 foot ceilings. I am planning to purchase the Panasonic projector and a video scalar such as the VP30.

My question is on placement. I have the option to installing the projector at 9ft or 14ft. Do to a soffit running across the ceiling of my room, I really prefer to place the projector in front of the soffit which will provide the projector with a 9ft throw distance in stead of placing the projecter at 14ft which will require a extented ceiling mount to get below the soffit.

I am looking to get a 80", 84", 88", or 92" screen. I prefer to get the largest screen possible with the 9ft throw distance.

What will be the negative consequences of placing the projector very close to the minimum of distance for the size of the screen chosen? Would I notice a difference in picture quality between a 80" and 92" screen if I placed the projector at 9ft. Or should I strongly consider on placing the projector at 14" because I will get a noticeably better picture quality regardless of the screen size chosen?

Based on the projector calculator. Minimum distance for the screens are as follows:

80" - 7'11"
84" - 8'4"
88" - 8'9"
92" - 9'2"

Just remember that you should measure the throw distance from the front of the lens, minus about 1/4 to 1/2" for the screen distance from the wall.

So, a 9' throw might suddenly become an 8.5' throw. With the Panasonic, the screen size in inches is basically the throw distance in feet x 10, so that would limit you to an 84" screen or slightly larger.

In my case, it's 8'10" (or 8.83') from the front of the projector to the wall. By that equation I can get an 88" screen, with reality being just over 89" with my actual measurements.

So, I'm thinking of getting an 86-87" screen so that I have some room for adjustments.

In your case, if your true max screen size is about 85", then 84" would be the absolute maximum I'd consider, and perhaps would consider a screen of 82"-83" instead.

What this says though is before you order your screen, you'd want to place your projector at the exact mounting position first, and then test:

1) Max screen size
2) Image quality/brightness
3) Whether or not it looks big enough for you.
4) Screen height options with the lens shift

Re: #4. If you mount your projector up high at a 8.5-9' throw distance, the screen height may just be too high if you flush mount it. The lens shift on this AX200U is substantial, but not substantial enough if your ceiling height isn't low, and you mount the projector up close.

In my case with the 8'10" throw and 94" ceiling, a flush mount simply wouldn't work. With the near flush mount I got, the centre of the lens was probably around an 87" height, which made the screen too high for my tastes.

I ended up dropping the projector another 10-11ish inches to get the height I liked, and that's with using nearly all the lens shift. Actually, right now I dropped it a total of 12 inches so I'm not at the extreme end of the lens shift. I didn't need to do that because the image quality was fine even with extreme lens shift, but I didn't have any room left over for more adjustments of image position. At this new height, my lens is at 75" (6'3") above the ground, and the lowest part of the projector is at 73" (6'1") above the ground.

Here is a pic with 11" extension. It's a standard Sanus universal mount, but with the 8" extender option, and then with an added ugly piece of 1" diam plumbing pipe and connector. (The threads used are the same as the mount.)

post #723 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks this helps. You gave me an other idea which is to place the projector under the soffit. This will drop the height about 10 inches. Also it will set the projector back a foot and therefore increase the throw distance a foot.

Overall, I should not notice a difference in quality if I place the projector at the minimum throw for a 84" screen compared to placing the projector at a 14' throw distance for a 84" screen. Is this correct?

Kono
post #724 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

What size are the screw holes on the AX200?

Mine just arrived this morning from Projector People, and the ceiling mount is on it's way from Monoprice:

Any suggestions or does anyone have a specific part/item number at Home Depot or Lowe's to pick up some mounting screws?

Thanks!
post #725 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kono144 View Post

Thanks this helps. You gave me an other idea which is to place the projector under the soffit. This will drop the height about 10 inches. Also it will set the projector back a foot and therefore increase the throw distance a foot.

Overall, I should not notice a difference in quality if I place the projector at the minimum throw for a 84" screen compared to placing the projector at a 14' throw distance for a 84" screen. Is this correct?

The only problem you might have with placing the AX200 at minimum distance for that small of a screen is that the lumens are so high, you may have some trouble getting colors and blacks balanced the way you want them. By moving back, you give yourself to spread those lumens around and still have the ability to push the lumens when you need them.
post #726 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

based on the ax200 on a 96inch screen, in a room with no ambient light...

What gain screen would you recommend ? 1.0 or 1.4
post #727 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbigdoggf View Post

based on the ax200 on a 96inch screen, in a room with no ambient light...

What gain screen would you recommend ? 1.0 or 1.4

how far is the projector mounted from the screen?
post #728 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I find that I keep wanting a bigger screen. When I first got my ae900u, with us sitting in recliners 9 feet back, I got an 84 inch screen. At the time, we thought it was huge! After a few weeks, we wanted it bigger. You get used to it, and it seems to shrink.

Now we have a 106" screen with my ax100, and we say if we had the space, we wouldn't mind it bigger! But friends come over and sit on our love seat, which is off-center and closer to the screen, and say OMG, it's TOO BIG! Seating distance makes a huge difference, too! Something to keep in mind.
post #729 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Also, I find the bowing or non-square projected image to be annoying when the PJ is not centered perfectly, even with borders and masking. There is still a bit of overspill, and I hate having to cut off the edges of the picture with it. Mine is mounted about 4 feet high inside the wall behind and between our recliners (just over our heads when we are seated). It shoots very straight & centered with the HP screen (which is retroreflective, so it's better than a ceiling mount for that screen).
post #730 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

What size are the screw holes on the AX200?

Mine just arrived this morning from Projector People, and the ceiling mount is on it's way from Monoprice:

Wow. Very inexpensive mount. However, how long are the arms? If not long, do they include extensions?

The reason I ask is that on my Sanus VMPR1 the arms aren't that long which made mounting of it on the projector potentially a bit problematic in certain orientations, unless you used the extension arms.

In the end I made it fit the way I wanted without the extension arm, although it was slightly off centre in terms of weight balance with the Panny.
post #731 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Will be picking up my AX200 tomorrow and am wondering if AVIA is the best calibration disc to use or should I order something else? What else is out there?
post #732 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Need a fast answer to a projector mount / offset question.

I'm ordering a mount this afternoon so I can install my projector on Saturday. I need to know if I need an extension rod. My ceiling height is 9 feet (104"). My throw distance is approx 15 feet. I'm shooting a 120" diagonal image and want the bottom of my screen to be approx. 24" off the floor.

Will the offset of the AX200u projector allow me to shoot this vertical offset angle if I mount it close to the ceiling (say 100" off the floor).

Thanks!!!

bradesp
post #733 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmas View Post

how far is the projector mounted from the screen?

about 11 feet
post #734 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone compared the HDMI against the Component inputs yet??? AL
post #735 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing through this thread but could not find a definite answer to the following question: Will the AX200 display 24p HD material without any judder?

Furthermore, are there any notable drawbacks of this projector compared to other 720p LCDs?

Thanks a lot
SD
post #736 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Just thought I'd share that I've just blindly pulled the trigger on a AX-200

I'm not actually an LCD guy, but a long term HT guy who currently owns a very nice CRT pj and my second DLP pj (a HT1100). In case anyone is wondering the CRT is for my main HD movie viewing, and I use the digital pj for TV series DVD, Sports viewing, occasional gaming, and (rare) TV viewing.

I had done side-by-side with a couple of LCD's a few years ago (a pana 700 was the last) but always sent them back mostly due to the panel misconvergence, low true CR, and the LCD FPN - which I just couldn't live with compared to the projected HT1100 image. I'm hoping LCD's have now improved to the point that the image the AX-200 throws will be satisfying enough (to my eyes).

The motivator is that my much loved 3yo HT1100 is now at ~2700 hours on the bulb and pretty dim, so it was either a new bulb or a new pj. Given that the AX-200 is only just over twice the price of a new HT1100 bulb (where I live), I figured let's give an AX-200 a go to get me a much brighter pj, plus 720p native.

The AX-200's price, install flexibility and brightness are the deal-makers. I was looking at the recently released HD80 to move to full 1080p on a budget, but it's long-throw made it a no-go!

The extra brightness of the AX-200 will certainly be nice to have for sports viewing, and there is gaming of course! Also, the low price seems to make it a good option to carry me over until the next generation of 1080p projectors hit the market next year. The relatively low price also means that if I don't like the image on arrival, it should be easy to sell-on without any great financial loss.

I'll be sure to report back what I think of my new AX-200 when it arrives next week. Hopefully the outcome may be helpful to others in a similar position.
post #737 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Wow. Very inexpensive mount. However, how long are the arms? If not long, do they include extensions?

The reason I ask is that on my Sanus VMPR1 the arms aren't that long which made mounting of it on the projector potentially a bit problematic in certain orientations, unless you used the extension arms.

In the end I made it fit the way I wanted without the extension arm, although it was slightly off centre in terms of weight balance with the Panny.

I ordered that mount blindly from Monoprice. For the price, I have to give it a shot. It looks like the arms all extend, but if they're not far enough, I'm sure I can figure something out with parts at the hardware store.

Back to my question though, what size machine screws are needed to mount the projector? I can't find anything in the manual that references those screw holes.

KoolKiwi - This is my first LCD too. I'm a CRT and DLP guy big time through five HDTV's now (2 CRT, 3 DLP). I bought this AX-200 just based on reviews and the price was right for something cheap to watch network HDTV and Xbox 360 on. I'm pairing mine up with a 110" screen made of Designer White laminate. I should have the screen and room done over the weekend, and my mount shows up Monday thanks to a UPS truck breaking down and pushing my delivery from Friday to Monday on the mount. I'll post some pics and impressions (coming from a long-time CRT/DLP owner) next week.
post #738 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM

Can anyone confirm the filter thread diameter for the AX-200?

I am using 5 of them in a project and I need to warm up the color even more than the menus allow.

Thanks,
Mike
post #739 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Thanks for the comments. Any tearing or pixelation on fast-panning scenes or sports?

Yes...but it seems to be more source dependent than caused by the projector. Didn't see much of any pixelation watching CBS and ESPN HD football, but on NBC football I was noticing it quite a bit more. Nothing terribly bad...not nearly as bad as my neighbors brand new LG 42" LCD he got at BB for $1400...that thing had terrible pixelation and blurring on pass plays, etc. I could barely stand to watch it. With the AX200, I could see it from time to time, but it was not really a big deal. My screen size is 100" diagonal. Sources are OTA HD for CBS and NBC, Directv for ESPN.
post #740 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did anyone consider the Z5 prior to jumping on the AX200? If so, was the higher lumens your primary reason?

Thx
Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #741 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan View Post

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing through this thread but could not find a definite answer to the following question: Will the AX200 display 24p HD material without any judder?

It should. It says in the manual that it can take a 1080p24 input and outputs it at 24 Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

I ordered that mount blindly from Monoprice. For the price, I have to give it a shot. It looks like the arms all extend, but if they're not far enough, I'm sure I can figure something out with parts at the hardware store.

Back to my question though, what size machine screws are needed to mount the projector? I can't find anything in the manual that references those screw holes.

KoolKiwi - This is my first LCD too. I'm a CRT and DLP guy big time through five HDTV's now (2 CRT, 3 DLP). I bought this AX-200 just based on reviews and the price was right for something cheap to watch network HDTV and Xbox 360 on. I'm pairing mine up with a 110" screen made of Designer White laminate. I should have the screen and room done over the weekend, and my mount shows up Monday thanks to a UPS truck breaking down and pushing my delivery from Friday to Monday on the mount. I'll post some pics and impressions (coming from a long-time CRT/DLP owner) next week.

I dunno about yours, but my mount came with several different sets of screws, and one set fit perfectly.
post #742 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM

Do you recommend professional calibration or is this something that a novice can do? Is there a specific calibration disk you use for this pj?
post #743 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM

I would reccomend everyone who has a AX200 and hasn't tried disabling the noise reduction features do so. It really changes the output of the projector, sharper, and different in terms of motion some how. It's not as smooth, it's a bit edgier but some people may far prefer.
post #744 of 3128 Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I brought up the test pattern and now I can see what little screen door this projector has. Yes it does have some, but it isn't bad at all. I'm now curious to see the differences in sharpness between component and HDMI.

My first attempt at some screen shots didn't turn out so well. I need more practice with the camera. I'm too busy marveling at the PQ.

Dr V
post #745 of 3128 Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 AM

is this a good projector to get. t only 720p or is it better to get a 1080p projector
post #746 of 3128 Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

It should. It says in the manual that it can take a 1080p24 input and outputs it at 24 Hz.

I can confirm that it does.

One thing that I thought was worth noting though, is that the AE900 will accept a 720p72 signal, and output it at the same frequency.

If the AX200 gets the same 720p72 signal it does some sort of conversion, and the output is juddery.

No problem for me overall, I just switched the HTPC output to 1080p24.

Another point for the HTPC users out there - for some strange reason, the AX200 does not have 1080p24 in it's EDID, you will need to override.
post #747 of 3128 Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velk View Post

Another point for the HTPC users out there - for some strange reason, the AX200 does not have 1080p24 in it's EDID, you will need to override.

Can you elaborate please? I wouldnt plan on having an HTPC, but ocassional PC gaming is in the horizon

What is EDID?

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #748 of 3128 Old 10-19-2007, 05:36 AM

I am using the AX200 with a PS3. On the pj menu, it shows a 1080P60 fps signal. should I be at 24 fps or is 60 better with this pj?

If 24 fps is better, how do I get the PS3 to output 24 fps? I am directly linked to the pj from the PS3 via HDMI.

Cheers,
JD

When shrapnel hits your tent, it sounds like rain...

My old AX-200 Home theater:
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc118/Sick_Puppy1/
post #749 of 3128 Old 10-19-2007, 05:39 AM

Extended Display Identification Data
post #750 of 3128 Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I dont get this... If I were to be using a PC to play games on this PJ, can I or can I not output to the PJ at the maximum framerate that my game allows? Say, for example, ~55 fps....

Does this have anything to do with 1080p24? Am I going to be limited to only 24fps?

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax200u 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax200u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page