Epson Home Cinema 720 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1694 Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
N8M

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update from Art @ Projectorreviews.com:

I was hoping to hear yesterday, but, alas, no word. I'm waiting on 3 different Epson projector to review in the next 4-5 weeks: The 720, the 1080UB, and the all-in-one MovieMate 72.

My priorities as described to Epson are: 1080, 720, Moviemate

However, it is most likely that a 720 will be available shortly, ahead of availability of the 1080ub, So, with a little luck, I'll get one by the end of next week, and have a review posted a week later.

Epson has committed to the product for reviews. As soon as I have a shipping date, as usual, I'll post the arrival date and anticipated review date at the top of the upper right column on the home page."

Looks like we'll have a review in a couple weeks. (or three)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1694 Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 PM

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/p.../plhc720ug.pdf

here's their guide and it looks like a tw700/810 to me
post #93 of 1694 Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I talked to some Epson dealers today. Some are getting shipments and some aren't. A lof of the lack of interest could be due to lack of product. From the specs, this seems like a great projector. VA has them in stock and I'm so close to jumping in on their current deal, but I sure wish there was a good review out.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #94 of 1694 Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 PM
mjn

Its like a cricket convention. I know dstr5725 has a lot going on and only sees his girlfriend on the weekend, so I can only hope he finds the time to time sit back and take some pics but with limited time with his women he can't be blamed I certainly remember that time in my relationship and a projector was not top priority. Now away days the first 100 hours with my projector is like a calibration and screen shot carnival, but I got 2 kids and its an escape for me. I personally need to make a decision soon and with the panasonic problems starting to roll in like the sniffles at the ER on Saturday night, I really really really would like to get some feedback on this unit. The only spec that has me worried on paper is the 33db. Thats is a jet engine. and is equal to my current Sony HS10 . even the 26db in eco mode is nothing to write home about. But I can over look this, if I can get a confirmation on the sharpness, blacks, and brightness. but the sheer silences is deafening.
post #95 of 1694 Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM
mjn

I will mail a crisp $100 monopoly bill and one of those really good butterscotch oval hard candies to anyone that can further this thread with any first had information. I just got back from 80 mile journey and saw 5 Epson projectors on display. 3 400s and 2 800s. All of which were not not calibrated(I hope). The 800s were soft as were the 400s. Every salesman looked at me like I was asking about some far unreachable distant future that may never come when I asked of the elusive HC720. One told me it was never going to be produced, but he did have one Cinema pro 810 left in The back for he could part with for $3xxx. Wow, what luck. I asked him why wasn't it on display? He said he said because it will sell without displaying it. ..OK?I didn't even bother telling him the home 810 is less than half that right now. Man I hate salesman.

Is there anybody out there with a few minutes to give a review? I just had an unexpected financial hiccup or i would have just said heck with it and bought one of the ~$2500 1080p projectors. But as it is $1300 is all I can swing right now. I will even need to hold off on buying screen and do a temp 110" DIY.
post #96 of 1694 Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
mjn,

You could just buy the 720 from an online retailer with a decent return policy (if used under a certain amount of hours). All you'd be out is the return shipping ($15?) if you didn't like it....many retailers offer free shipping to you, so that wouldn't cost you a thing. This way you could see it first hand in your own house.
post #97 of 1694 Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
mjn

I have thought about that, and may do that. But i have to build quite a very odd little mount around the projector when it gets here and have been through3 projectors(same model returned due to defects) this summer. And just need some general feedback. to make sure I am in the right ball park with my choice.
post #98 of 1694 Old 11-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Liked: 11
Ahh, I see. I'm also a little interested in the 720, but not so much so to go ahead and buy one before Art does his review.
post #99 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Still no reviews? That German shootout seemed to think the epson was real good
post #100 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM

http://www.avdeals.ca/productreviews..._firstlook.htm

That's a partial review. No hard numbers on anything, just first impressions. Excellent image, very good black levels, and exceptionally bright. I really want a comparative review though. Oh, well. Better than nothing.

Keep in mind, too, that they're trying to sell them, so...
post #101 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM

to point to this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947836

I finished calibrating my HC720 with SD DVE, both on PS3 and HD-A2 (quite a few differences), and it looks great, I'll post my settings shortly. At least to my demanding, yet untrained (read not familiar with amazing projectors) eye, it looks VERY good. I even managed to calibrate it in dynamic mode for very decent color accuracy, so I'm happy with it with quite a bit of ambient light.

J.
post #102 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
mjn

I got a good looks at the Epson 1080p today, the store i was at was working on the fiber optic ceiling and the guys kept turning the lights on and off. and there were no chairs in the room. It looked good, but I couldn't get it as sharp as I would like, but it was moderately sharp. But it was hard to tell with two guys tearing open boxes and switching lights on and off. I first thought it was the HC720, but nope it was the 1080p. Only source they had was DTV so that might be why I couldn't get it razor sharp.
post #103 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM

jmuffat, the reviewer in that link I posted mentioned a "folding" problem sending a 1080p signal from his PS3, and that it went away when he set the PS3 signal to 720p. Are you using 1080p, and have you noticed anything like this?
post #104 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone here come from using a DLP projector?

Basically, I can't make up a decision on which way to go. I'm looking at something better than the HC1500 and I'm considering this model along w. DT-500, Z3000 or VP4001. Having never seen an LCD based projector, I don't know how different they feel.

Anyone can post comments? Do LCD's have less "3D look" on mixed scenes, as I've heard that DLP have better ANSI contrast? What else?
post #105 of 1694 Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Has anyone here come from using a DLP projector?

Basically, I can't make up a decision on which way to go. I'm looking at something better than the HC1500 and I'm considering this model along w. DT-500, Z3000 or VP4001. Having never seen an LCD based projector, I don't know how different they feel.

Anyone can post comments? Do LCD's have less "3D look" on mixed scenes, as I've heard that DLP have better ANSI contrast? What else?

The proverbial "can of worms" has been opened yet again.
post #106 of 1694 Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 AM

Reviewer says HC720 "by a mile" over the PLV-Z5:

http://www.avdeals.ca/productreviews...sanyoplvz5.htm

I would have preferred a shootout with the Panny, but that retailer doesn't carry them, so they have no interest in something like that. No screencaps, BTW. Just data and observations.
post #107 of 1694 Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
bk

If anyone who has seen this projector (or the 810) and has also seen the Infocus 4805 please comment on the comparative SDE between these projectors.

TIA
post #108 of 1694 Old 12-07-2007, 10:29 AM
mjn

Well at least the site is selling both projectors. The utter shellacking of the Z5 worries me. Its a pretty good projectors. I wish a few more the owners would put up some reviews and screenshots and impressions compared to there last pjs.
post #109 of 1694 Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 AM
bk

I just bought the Epson Home Cinema 720.

I currently own an Infocus SP-4805 (480p DLP) which was a fanatistic value projector in its day (actually still is), but after ~4 years and 1500 hours its lamp had dimmed enough to need replacing. I decided to look at buying a new/brighter projector vs a new lamp.

I was looking at either the Epson or the Panasonic AX-200U and finally pulled the trigger on the Epson, because of reliability concerns with the Panasonic. I have never owned a LCD projector and was concerned about SDE, but it turned out to be a non-issue coming from the 4805. I was hoping the increased resolution of the Epson would balance out the better fill-factor of the 4805 and that appears to be the case. In fact I would say SDE on the Epson is a little less noticable than on the 4805.

I watched some HD football last night and then "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and pretty much out-of-the-box the Epson beats the 4805 in most areas including brightness, sharpness, blacks and shadow detail. The only place where I might say the 4805 is better is in 480i de-interlacing.

I'm projecting a 96" wide (110" diagonal) image from 16.5' onto a Da-Lite Hi-Power screen. With this screen and projector combination daytime sports viewing in a family room with a wall of windows on the right side is actually tolerable.
post #110 of 1694 Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback bk....

I think I finally have the OK from the wife to do an upgrade to something in this price range from a 3.5 year old Optoma DLP. I too am concerned with going from DLP to LCD but it is the only way I can get a ~90" diagonal image from ~9'. My primary concern was image sharpness as I've heard people call Epson LCD's "soft". I think your 4805 is at least as sharp as my Optoma and you indicated the 720 was sharper. That is encouraging. Also that you indicated the blacks and shadow detail were better than the 4805 as well.

Do you notice or hear the dynamic iris thing happening or do you have it disabled?

Thanks..
post #111 of 1694 Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 AM
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Thanks for the feedback bk....

I think I finally have the OK from the wife to do an upgrade to something in this price range from a 3.5 year old Optoma DLP. I too am concerned with going from DLP to LCD but it is the only way I can get a ~90" diagonal image from ~9'. My primary concern was image sharpness as I've heard people call Epson LCD's "soft". I think your 4805 is at least as sharp as my Optoma and you indicated the 720 was sharper. That is encouraging. Also that you indicated the blacks and shadow detail were better than the 4805 as well.

Do you notice or hear the dynamic iris thing happening or do you have it disabled?

Thanks..

gottahavapj

I don't want to oversell the Epson 720 - I may have been overly effusive in praise without hard evidence. I had to decided on either buying a new lamp for my 4805 or buying a new projector, and at this point I am still happy with my choice to buy the Epson. For what it's worth I have 7 more days to decide on keeping or returning the Epson, but I plan on keeping it. I was also considering the Panasonic AX200 and might have purchased it over the Epson if not for the reliability issues the AX200 seems to be facing.

I haven't really calibrated the Epson and only watched one DVD (the new "Pirates") and some HD TV. I had the projector set in "Theater Black I" mode for the DVD and didn't notice the iris in action, but I believe it's on in that mode. That movie has quite a few dark scenes and the shadow detail seemed better than I recall the 4805 capable of, but I haven't watched that particular movie on the 4805. I will put in the 1st Lord of the Rings and watch the scenes from the Mines of Moria to compare my recollection of the 4805 vs the Epson.
post #112 of 1694 Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post

gottahavapj

I don't want to oversell the Epson 720 - I may have been overly effusive in praise without hard evidence. I had to decided on either buying a new lamp for my 4805 or buying a new projector, and at this point I am still happy with my choice to buy the Epson. For what it's worth I have 7 more days to decide on keeping or returning the Epson, but I plan on keeping it. I was also considering the Panasonic AX200 and might have purchased it over the Epson if not for the reliability issues the AX200 seems to be facing.

I haven't really calibrated the Epson and only watched one DVD (the new "Pirates") and some HD TV. I had the projector set in "Theater Black I" mode for the DVD and didn't notice the iris in action, but I believe it's on in that mode. That movie has quite a few dark scenes and the shadow detail seemed better than I recall the 4805 capable of, but I haven't watched that particular movie on the 4805. I will put in the 1st Lord of the Rings and watch the scenes from the Mines of Moria to compare my recollection of the 4805 vs the Epson.

Hello BK,

Congrats on your purcahse. I am also planning to buy this PJ.
Can you please comment on 720's upconvert feature. How good a regular dvd (without any upscaling/upconverting in the flow) looks thru the PJ. I mean if I hook up a regulard DVD player(non upconverting/scaling) directly to PJ, what kind of pic quality are you getting.

Regards, Shaurya
post #113 of 1694 Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
bk

Shaurya,

I feed the Epson 480i via component from my Sony DVP-NS775v DVD player. I'm not a hard-cord videophile and don't try to look for issues, but I didn't notice any deinterlacing artifacts watching "Pirates of the Caribbean : End of the World" the other night. I can't say how the movie would have looked from an upscaling player, but I was happy with the way it handled 480i over component (I expect it to be even better once calibrated).

I have noticed some minor artifacts watching SD TV that might be deinterlacing issues that I didn't see with my Infocus 4805, but I don't know if it's because the Epson's Pixelworks processor isn't as good as the 4805's Faroudja, or the artifacts are just more visible with the Epson and I hadn't notices them with the 4805.

Before anyone wonders why 480i it's because I have an older Mits RPTV whose component inputs can't accept progressive signals also hooked up to the same DVD player and I don't want to have to constantly "fix" the DVD player when my kids watch a movie on the TV.
post #114 of 1694 Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks bk for your response.

I am going to pull the trigger. Did lot of heads & tails b/w epson 720 and ax200u. Although the coin was fair, I was not fair with ax200u due to known issues. Would you like to share the place/price for this puppy via PM.

Any comments on brightness....I mean day light viewing.

Regards, Shaurya
post #115 of 1694 Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
bk

I have my projector in a two-story family room which has a bank of 15, yes 15, windows on the right wall of the room, and it's open to the kitchen on the back side. It's a great area for parties and watching sports.

I project onto a Da-Lite Hi-Power and with the Epson 720 watching football Sunday afternoon in HD was at least tolerable. I wouldn't watch a movie in those conditions.
post #116 of 1694 Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
mjn

I can't believe we can't get a review sooner. You would think epson would overnight one to a reviewer somewhere. I all I really want is a good well put together comparison with the HC720 and PJ I have seen focusing on contrast, sharpness, and over all picture. I have seen the AW15, AX200(AX100), Epson 1080p, Sanyp z5, Sony HS10. I have also seen the Epson 400.
post #117 of 1694 Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post

I can't believe we can't get a review sooner. You would think epson would overnight one to a reviewer somewhere. I all I really want is a good well put together comparison with the HC720 and PJ I have seen focusing on contrast, sharpness, and over all picture. I have seen the AW15, AX200(AX100), Epson 1080p, Sanyp z5, Sony HS10. I have also seen the Epson 400.

How did you like the Epson 400?
post #118 of 1694 Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

How did you like the Epson 400?

According to one of his posts about 3 weeks ago- he said it looked "soft, soft, soft". That definitely has me concerned. I could probably put up with many of the other faults some of these budget PJ's are displaying, but a soft picture ain't one of 'em.

Cheers!
post #119 of 1694 Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 PM

Decided it was time to retire the old Hitatchi SX5500 LCOS. it took 6 years for me to find a better fp Though I had my sights set on the z5, I "settled" for the Epson 720. After reading the short review at avdeals (THANKS steerforth !) I'm optimistic that the 720 will bring me out of the dark and carry me through to the next Decennial or maybe the 2nd gen 1080p fp's.
post #120 of 1694 Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 PM
mjn

The 400 was definitely soft, , totally unacceptable to me.. I couldn't stop playing with the focus, I thought the thing was broke. I kept changing channels hoping something was wrong, but it was just the pj. This is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the HC720. I understand why they cant easily do bright with good blacks. But for the life of me I can't understand why there isn't an LCD with good brightness and a sharp picture available. And with the Epson 810 supposedly having great blacks and great brightness, where is the sharpness? A few reviews call it soft on HD material. A was very happy with the Sony AW15s sharpness and blacks when I had one for a while in the summer, but I am moving into a ambient light filled room and need the flexibility of a higher brightness PJ. Man I wish DLPS didn't give me the spins. The Epson HC720 with a sharper lens would be the one, done deal. No questions asked. But I haven't been able to see one, or get a good review, and the few choice words I have read on it say its not as sharp as a Z3, so I am currently stuck with a very sharp, but very green Sony Hs10 with totally fried blue polarizers. It seems everyone that has upgraded their HS10/20 doesn't want to part with them(I don't blame them). At this point if i could gt the polarizers for $150 for the pair i would just swap them out and wait another year for 1080p. But I am not going to put $350 into the HS10. This was kind of fun waiting and watching, but now I am getting frustrated. I never thought I would see a projector out for 2-3 months and get 2 or 3 brief paragraphs about its performance and no reviews. I got the family coming over for Christmas Eve and would like to have more than a washed out green HS10 to show off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page