Is this the beginning of the end of my Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This blue artifact just appeared today on my projector picture. The pic here is indicative of the problem; a bright blue corner. It seems to be the projector and not the computer. The blue spot will not go away.

Background: I have had my Sony VPL-HS10 since they came out. I am on my third bulb and have over 7,000 hours on the projector. This current bulb has a bit over 2,000 hours on it.

Could this be the bulb or is there a problem with the LCD panel? Could it be just a dust blob? If so, how can I fix it?

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Get ready for it to spread. There's a great post somewhere on here about a guy that had this on his HS20 and fixed it.

Cheers,

Ronin
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
post #3 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Got a link? Anybody?

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 PM
jay

Liked: 11
Try and do a search in this forum.. There wasn't a recent posting of this problem just recently with the same projector I think..
post #5 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Its probably one of your polarizers breaking down due to heat and time. You can fix them yourself, if you are able to get a hold of a spare polarizer cheaply enough.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 PM
mjn

The fix worked for some but not for others. Thats why I didn't try it. My blue edges appeared about the same time I noticed an overall screen yellowing. I first noticed the problems about about 11.000 hours. My blue areas were tight to the edge so I could zoom them away. I have been dealing with a worsening situation for the last 3,000 hours. The Blue haze has actually grown then gotten smaller, but the yellow cast now covers 95% of the screen.

I decided to upgrade, but now have info overload and don't know what to do.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
That happened to me last year on my Sanyo Z2. Sanyo told me that the air filter was not properly maintained, which caused the LCD panels to overheat and become damaged. I told them that was crap, as I cleaned the filter just as the manual indicated. They ended up meeting me half way and replaced the damaged panel(s) for me. It was considered an "out of warranty" repair and I paid around two bills for the work.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post

The fix worked for some but not for others. Thats why I didn't try it. My blue edges appeared about the same time I noticed an overall screen yellowing. I first noticed the problems about about 11.000 hours. My blue areas were tight to the edge so I could zoom them away. I have been dealing with a worsening situation for the last 3,000 hours. The Blue haze has actually grown then gotten smaller, but the yellow cast now covers 95% of the screen.

I decided to upgrade, but now have info overload and don't know what to do.

You have a Sony but you are not going to upgrade to the AW15?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by q3131a View Post

This blue artifact just appeared today on my projector picture. The pic here is indicative of the problem; a bright blue corner. It seems to be the projector and not the computer. The blue spot will not go away.

Background: I have had my Sony VPL-HS10 since they came out. I am on my third bulb and have over 7,000 hours on the projector. This current bulb has a bit over 2,000 hours on it.

Could this be the bulb or is there a problem with the LCD panel? Could it be just a dust blob? If so, how can I fix it?

Unfortunately, it probably is. I'm having the same thing on my HS10 (4 1/2 years old). I first noticed an overall yellowing several months ago and bought new blue polarizers (you can find my pics that I posted on this board). That worked for a while, but then the blue corner (and now even along the top edge) showed up. I opened the PJ back up to check the polarizers and they look OK. So I think this may be something more serious, probably the optical block or LCDs themselves.

I'll probably be looking to upgrade, it's still usable for now but as it gets worse I'm going to get more anxious to get a new PJ. I guess the new LCDs with non organic panels won't have this issue? I would like to go LCOS (DLPs give me headaches) but they are still more $$ than I'd like to spend.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

I always run my HS20 in high speed fan mode. I wonder if that keeps the internals cooler so that I keep the panels and polarizers cooler so they last longer.

Reedl

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #11 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
mjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

You have a Sony but you are not going to upgrade to the AW15?

It was my first choice. But I am moving my projector from my dark walled theater to a basement living room. Still moderate light control, but lighter walls and some small windows.

I still may go with the AW15, I just to wait until all the options for this fall present themselves. Mainly waiting on the HC720, after that gets a few reviews I will make a decision.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

It may be the polarizer, I had something similar on my L300 Panasonic, took it out, cleaned it, now I don't even remember if it's still there but faintly or just plain gone. I would have to look closely at my projector to see next time.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM

OK, this exact same crap happened to me on my Sony VPL HS51, it started about 2 months ago. I got the Sony right after they came out, so have had it almost 3 years.

It started in the top left corner going down the left edge just like your image, and then spread across the top after that. It kept getting worse until I sent it in. Thankfully I had a 3 year extended warranty with a 3rd party warranty provider.

Long story short, there's some component they need to replace that will cost them about 1500 bucks from Sony to do.

As a compromise, they are just going to send me a check for 1500, and I get to go shopping for a new toy.

I'm definitely NOT getting another Sony projector. I did not have very many hours, and I've already had to replace lamps twice on this lemon.

While the picture image was clear and beautiful, the upkeep of this thing was ridiculous. Like others, I replaced filters as required.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 PM

My HS-51 had the same problem. It was out of warranty and Sony fixed it for free.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page