Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3926 Old 06-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have set up three of these units now and installed Filtrete air filters over all possible inlets that would accumulate dust. Including over the air filter inlet.
The units always have the lens cap on when not in use and have had no issues with dust since install.

How many people with dust blobs actually keep the lens cap on, use alternate filtering?

How many people with dust blobs have pets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezoris View Post

I have set up three of these units now and installed Filtrete air filters over all possible inlets that would accumulate dust. Including over the air filter inlet.
The units always have the lens cap on when not in use and have had no issues with dust since install.

How many people with dust blobs actually keep the lens cap on, use alternate filtering?

Can you give us a little more detail as to which filters you are using, where you are using them and where to get them? Also, do you cover the front vents as well? I'm not quite sure how the lens cap would effect things as the blobs are internal and the lens itself does not seem to have any openings in it or at its seams.
post #3153 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 05:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I really do not think the dust problem is coming though the lens.
I think the dust is allready in the fp from bad quailty control at the place that puts them togeather,Their is just to many people getting dust blobs at 30 to 40 hours.All my other panny fp I have own have never had this problem.
Also I do not think pets have anything to do with it.A pet hair would not show up as a blob or round dust particle.Just my observations,
post #3154 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Hey folks,

I've borrowed my friend's older Panasonic AE700U projector. It's quite good overall, especially for a 720p display. But I have to say the black levels aren't very good on this thing. I'm curious for anyone familiar with the AE700 and the newest models (e.g. AE2000): are the black levels much deeper on the newer models?

Thanks,
post #3155 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I really do not think the dust problem is coming though the lens.
I think the dust is allready in the fp from bad quailty control at the place that puts them togeather

This is what i am hoping now that mine has been cleaned. Anyone send their PJ to Heartland for a blob cleaning and get them again, or is it smooth sailing after that?
post #3156 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 AM

I have pets and I DO NOT use the lens cap.

however, I'd be very surprised if either of these factors caused a dust blob to travel back in time for the purpose of infesting my ae2000 before it entered my home.
post #3157 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 AM

I don't have pets and I do have a fat dust blob. I had one of these after using my Sanyo Z3 for over 2 years. The AE2000 definitely has a dust problem.

Btw, lens caps are to protect the front glass from knocks / impacts and not from dust for which they don't do anything. The constant airflow through the device is the problem.
post #3158 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprance View Post

Can you give us a little more detail as to which filters you are using, where you are using them and where to get them? Also, do you cover the front vents as well? I'm not quite sure how the lens cap would effect things as the blobs are internal and the lens itself does not seem to have any openings in it or at its seams.

The front "vents" are the air exhaust vents. You can't get dust blobs coming in through the exhaust. It gets sucked into the air intakes! Ditto the lens (it's also in the exhaust path).

The Filtrete "vent" filters are available from Home Depot (in the area where they have fans & air cleaners). Lowe's or Menard's should have them too (I haven't seen them at OSH though).

I do agree that the instance of dust blobs showing up very early in the AE2000 use, seems to indicate that the blobs are from debris left inside the unit during the manufacturing process. It looks like proper cleaning procedures are not being followed, prior to closing up the assembly. Unfortunately, when trying to keep costs down, the first things to get cut are hand labor and quality control.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #3159 of 3926 Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

The front "vents" are the air exhaust vents. You can't get dust blobs coming in through the exhaust. It gets sucked into the air intakes! Ditto the lens (it's also in the exhaust path).

The Filtrete "vent" filters are available from Home Depot (in the area where they have fans & air cleaners). Lowe's or Menard's should have them too (I haven't seen them at OSH though).

I do agree that the instance of dust blobs showing up very early in the AE2000 use, seems to indicate that the blobs are from debris left inside the unit during the manufacturing process. It looks like proper cleaning procedures are not being followed, prior to closing up the assembly. Unfortunately, when trying to keep costs down, the first things to get cut are hand labor and quality control.

That's a good point about dust blobs appearing early in use because most reports on this forum seem to indicate this. This happened on mine in the first 100 hours and I've not had another one at 700 hours though I'm sure there will always be exceptions.
post #3160 of 3926 Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM

Mine appeared in the first 4 hrs and in the center. You can focus with the on the dust and you will see lots of crap all over the plate that its attached too. I feel that the dust /crap is already in the pj and gets blown around I dont think it is coming from the outside. Thats just my $0.02

C.
post #3161 of 3926 Old 06-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I want to report what happened to my PJ hoping it might help others with the same problem.

PROBLEM:
From the 200 hours, my AE2000 had developed a persistent and visible lack of color uniformity. The problem was observed as a cyan color stripe in bright white picture and dark red stripe in a black image. It covered almost the whole width of the bottom of the screen, with a height of approximately 4 (10 cm).
Figs. 1 and 2 are drawings of the problem.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4514/fig1qx6.jpg

(fig.1) White screen with cyan stripe

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4756/fig2ds2.jpg

(fig.2) Black screen with dark red stripe

I realized that:
The problem didn't get worse.
There was no lack of uniformity in the rest of the screen.
It was not an input problem (it happens in all entrances).
It was not a cable problem.
It was not a dust problem.
It showed in all the image modes, although less in the brightest modes (light cyan on white pictures).
It did not disappear using the stuck-on pixels fixer.

The conclusion was that the LCD with red polarizer was not closing and opening completely in that zone. For that reason, combining blue and green with defect of red, resulted in a cyan color (instead of white), and in dark red color when the blue and the green LCDs were off.

SOLUTION:
Because I took no photos, I am posting here some of Cine4home's reviews.
I opened my projector using the disassemble guides of the Service Manual.
Removing first the upper case, I took off the lamp: 3 screws.
Then the top cover: 8 screws.
Then the main-board: 4 screws more and several connectors including the 3 LCDs ribbon connectors. Important: take note of the relative positions of all connectors.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1782/fig3ol8.jpg

(fig.3) Main-board

The optic block was now at sight (see fig. 4).
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/729/fig4gb9.jpg

(fig. 4) Optic block

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7702/fig5ho9.jpg

(fig. 5) Polarizers -inverted position-

I localized the red LCD and, according to the Service Manual, I found two boards in front of the red LCD panel: the Incidence Polarizer and the Phase Difference Board. This is very important: I marked with a fine marker their relative positions (see detail on fig. 4) and only then I removed the outer board (the Phase Difference Board).
And there it was the problem!
The crystal (or plastic) is fixed to the chassis with a metallic frame. This frame holds the crystal on 3 edges (lateral and lower sides) and, so that it does not slide upwards, there are two sticky white ribbons (see fig. 5). My PJ is ceiling-mounted. Combined with heat and some vibration (and perhaps a bump on the long trip?), the sticky ribbons had loosened and the crystal had descended several mm. It was the light (or the lack of) that passes through the white sticky ribbon what I was seeing in the screen.
I put the crystal in its normal position but the sticky ribbon had left a mark on the crystal. I cleaned it with alcohol, made sure not to leave marks and proceeded to mount the PJ.
Now the PJ works perfectly and there are no more color uniformity problems.
Although this may seem very difficult, it did not take me more than 1 hour to solve it.
post #3162 of 3926 Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
post #3163 of 3926 Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 PM

Hi everybody!

I know that there is the separate Flicker thread, but I decided to post my question here, becase Flicker thread seems to be no longer alive :-)

At 103 hours (I checked the counter) I've noticed slight flickering - changing of brightness intensity. It shows up infrequently and visible mostly on bright scenes.

I've read a lot about the remedy for flickering but everybody was running PJs in ECO mode and switching to NORMAL mode helped getting rid of flicker.

I found only one post in this thread where it was recommended to change the lamp power mode (if running in NORMAL - switch to ECO, and if running in ECO - switch to NORMAL).

My problem is that i'm running my PJ in NORMAL mode all the time, although with brightness setting set to -17 (is that a lot?)

So could anyone please suggest what I should do: change from NORMAL to ECO and wait or set brightness to 0 and leave it in NORMAL?

I'm a little confused because after reading about the nature of the flicker I think that running in NORMAL mode forces lamp to burn out quicker a bit and stabilize the arc. But I'm already in normal mode but with brightness -17, which could be close to ECO mode. And switching to ECO mode reduces lamp power so burning out will take much longer time. That's the dilemma -)

Thanks in advance for your replies!!!
post #3164 of 3926 Old 06-16-2008, 05:08 AM

Boy your timing is perfect. I developed the same color lines at the bottom of the image yesterday. The color of the line changed based on screen image. I also have developed dust blobs, but I've been living with them. I've had my Panny since November and love it other than these two minor issues. I will try to disassemble and fix per your note and prior dust blob instructions from others. My Panny is celing mounted and is never touched, so I'm not sure how the LCD got out of alignment.

Tim Love
post #3165 of 3926 Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Kanowsky -- Changing the "Brightness" control does not change the lamp output. The Brightness control only effects the Black Level. The Contrast control effects the White level, but still does not change the lamp output, by any significant amount, if at all. The only difference between the various Picture modes is that, for the brighter ones, the internal (neutral density) filter is lifted out of the light path. The Dynamic mode may be different, as it may automatically turn on the High power lamp mode - I'm not sure what the "Normal" mode does, but your manual should tell you.

I don't own an AE2000, so I'm going by the various reviews that I've read, and my knowledge of the internal workings of LCD PJs.

The only way to effect the power going to the lamp is by switching between the High and Low lamp modes. And you have to leave it at the "other" setting for at least 4 hours or so, in order to re-establish a different "burn" pattern on the lamp electrodes. This will not effect the total number of, predicted, lamp hours to any significant amount.

post #3166 of 3926 Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM

CT_Wiebe,
Thank you for your thorough explanation, will change the lamp mode to ECO and see how it'll go.
post #3167 of 3926 Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprance View Post

The reasons pets are a factor is because most dust is created by dander or skin.
We as humans are also a big factor in terms of dust. Cats have a large amount of dander as do dogs.

I use 3M filtrete sheets. Close to this.
http://www.natlallergy.com/product.a...cd2=1213736675

You can either make a small frame out of molding and affix it to the intakes or just blue tape the filter on.

Here is an image of how my friend did it quickly. There is also an intake on the bottom

This alone will not stop all dust, but helps. You could go further and seal the top casing and other spots where dust could be sucked in.
LL
post #3168 of 3926 Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The reasons pets are a factor is because most dust is created by dander or skin.
We as humans are also a big factor in terms of dust. Cats have a large amount of dander as do dogs.

I use 3M filtrete sheets. Close to this.
http://www.natlallergy.com/product.a...cd2=1213736675

You can either make a small frame out of molding and affix it to the intakes or just blue tape the filter on.

Here is an image of how my friend did it quickly. There is also an intake on the bottom

This alone will not stop all dust, but helps. You could go further and seal the top casing and other spots where dust could be sucked in.

Thanks so much. Amazing we even have to do this at all.
post #3169 of 3926 Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So true. I wonder how much of the 'dust blob" issue is because they didn't clean up the insides thoroughly before they buttoned it up (to cut costs) and how much is attributable to trying to make the AE2000 quieter (in the rush to get it out faster). It's really strange, especially since this is their second PJ with this same case design (last years AE1000 being the first).

post #3170 of 3926 Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
With so many dust blob issues popping up very early in the life of the projectors, I think these issues are due to dust within the projector from the start.

Blobs that turn up later, could be a mix of both.

As a side note, when I cleaned a blob out of mine, I noticed a lot of dirt/dust buildup on the inside of the v/h adjustment dials, on the inside. They have a sponge ring on the outside to prevent it from getting inside, but this is a potential source of the dust getting inside.
post #3171 of 3926 Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

So true. I wonder how much of the 'dust blob" issue is because they didn't clean up the insides thoroughly before they buttoned it up (to cut costs) and how much is attributable to trying to make the AE2000 quieter (in the rush to get it out faster). It's really strange, especially since this is their second PJ with this same case design (last years AE1000 being the first).

Yes. One of the reasons I bought in to this machine early is that I was expecting a relatively mature chassis design.

Most recently, I neglected cleaning the filter for a few hundred hours and when I finally got around to it I found quite a layer of dust buildup on the outside filter - but no dust blob (knock on wood). When I first got the machine, I cleaned it quite frequently, to the point where there was no visible dust on the filter during any of the cleanings - initial frequent cleanings did not stop my machine from getting that first blob.
post #3172 of 3926 Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclove View Post

Boy your timing is perfect. I developed the same color lines at the bottom of the image yesterday... My Panny is celing mounted and is never touched, so I'm not sure how the LCD got out of alignment.

Hi tclove.
I bought my Panny on November and it is ceiling-mounted too.
Is not that the LCD got out of alignment, it was one of the two filters (that goes before it) that had slid down because of faulty sticky ribbons.
If, as it happened to me, you have a cyan stripe on a white image, check the filters that goes before the red-LCD. If magenta, then look at the green-LCD filters. Yellow = blue-LCD.
See this
http://culturedmarblemolds.com/Formu...olorMixing.jpg
Fernando
post #3173 of 3926 Old 06-19-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

Hi tclove.
I bought my Panny on November and it is ceiling-mounted too.
Is not that the LCD got out of alignment, it was one of the two filters (that goes before it) that had slid down because of faulty sticky ribbons.
If, as it happened to me, you have a cyan stripe on a white image, check the filters that goes before the red-LCD. If magenta, then look at the green-LCD filters. Yellow = blue-LCD.
See this
http://culturedmarblemolds.com/Formu...olorMixing.jpg
Fernando

Fernando,

Sorry...I is used LCD instead of filter. Thanks for the extra clarification.

Tim

Tim Love
post #3174 of 3926 Old 06-19-2008, 03:20 PM

After having 3 projectors prior to the AE2000, LCD and DLP I learned a lesson. Each model had some type of issue.

Anyone reading this thread should know this is a great projector in terms of image quality and features for the money. One of the best 1080p units out there.

With that said, I spent the extra money on a 4 year warranty so I don't have to worry about dust blobs and LCD issues down the road. But as mentioned all my projectors have had serious issues, so protecting your investment is wise if you can negotiate an affordable warranty.
post #3175 of 3926 Old 06-19-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:

After having 3 projectors prior to the AE2000, LCD and DLP I learned a lesson. Each model had some type of issue.

Anyone reading this thread should know this is a great projector in terms of image quality and features for the money. One of the best 1080p units out there.

With that said, I spent the extra money on a 4 year warranty so I don't have to worry about dust blobs and LCD issues down the road. But as mentioned all my projectors have had serious issues, so protecting your investment is wise if you can negotiate an affordable warranty.

Would you mind sharing your extended warranty information?
post #3176 of 3926 Old 06-20-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

.....I opened my projector using the disassemble guides of the Service Manual.

Do you have a link that we can download it?

I think it is usefull for all of us PT-AE2000 users to have!

Thanks!
post #3177 of 3926 Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post

Would you mind sharing your extended warranty information?

I got the AVS sanctioned Tapeworks Texas extended warranty with 2 replacement lamp warranty, all for the price of a single replacement lamp ($325). The only thing is that you have to activate the warranty within 30 days of purchase.

Choose Option 23.

AVS Sponsored TapeWorks Texas Extended Warranty

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #3178 of 3926 Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-Greece View Post

Do you have a link that we can download it?
I think it is usefull for all of us PT-AE2000 users to have!
Thanks!

Harry
No link that I know.
PM your e-mail and I will send it to you.
post #3179 of 3926 Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

I got the AVS sanctioned Tapeworks Texas extended warranty with 2 replacement lamp warranty, all for the price of a single replacement lamp ($325). The only thing is that you have to activate the warranty within 30 days of purchase.

Choose Option 23.

AVS Sponsored TapeWorks Texas Extended Warranty

THANK YOU for posting this. I ordered mine this morning, just 2 days before the 30 is up!
post #3180 of 3926 Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Hey folks,

I've borrowed my friend's older Panasonic AE700U projector. It's quite good overall, especially for a 720p display. But I have to say the black levels aren't very good on this thing. I'm curious for anyone familiar with the AE700 and the newest models (e.g. AE2000): are the black levels much deeper on the newer models?

Thanks,

I upgraded from the 700u to the 2000u and it is like night and day. The black levels far exceed those "gray" levels on the 700u. The picture is much crisper and the colors are not as saturated. I am very glad I made the upgrade.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page