Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3926 Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
With that big of a screen you may want to put the projector as close to the screen as possible to increase brightness.
Warren.
post #3633 of 3926 Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

With that big of a screen you may want to put the projector as close to the screen as possible to increase brightness.
Warren.

I used my AE2000 with a 133-inch Da-Lite High-Power screen in a totally-
dark basement theater room with black walls and black cloth furniture/carpet.

Originally I had the AE2000 celing-mounted roughly 20 feet away from the
screen.... then I re-installed it 15-feet from the screen... didn't see any
difference.... I wasn't able to get any closer than 15 feet, unless I place
the AE2000 on a coffee table or something... but if I do that, will I really
get a brighter picture? (or perhaps the lamp in my AE2000 is about to
go super-nova... because it it's now at 1970+ hours, all in Eco-mode)

are there any AE2000 owners here who are thinking about "upgrading" to the
newer AE3000? is there really a big difference, or should I just wait buy
a new $300 lamp and wait another year for the AE4000 to come out?
post #3634 of 3926 Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't think the 2000 had the same penalty as the 3000. Not sure. Of course a high gain screen voids any concerns. I have a Vutec Silverstar and would gladly trade some brightness for better blacks. I just think with the 3000 and 150" screen there really isn't any point taking a chance on not enough brightness. You High Power, and us Silverstar owners know how much fun extra brightness is.
Warren.
post #3635 of 3926 Old 11-27-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic77 View Post

I am planning to move my AE2000 to a larger room where it will be placed about 28 feet away from the screen to throw about a 150" diagonal image....as per the manual that's within the range. Has anyone actually used it at that distance / size combination? Issues with quality / brightness of picture?
Thanks...

I have the Pana 2000 with an 100 inch wide screen, calibrated based on normal mode (see my instructions a few pages before; results in a lot more light output at high color accuracy) on a grey screen. The picture is bright, brilliant and pleasing.
post #3636 of 3926 Old 11-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
These dust blobs you all speak about, is it something that I would see on screen? Reason I brought up the whole thing about cleaning my lens is that I noticed what looked like a slight smudge or smear on the lower part of my screen. I never touched my lens with a finger or any kind of cleaning towel. I am wondering if what I am seeing on my screen is caused by a dust blob.
post #3637 of 3926 Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 AM

I have a wall plate that consists of a HDMI and CO-AX audio jack. The HDMI goes straight into Input #2 on the PJ and the audio cable goes to the receiver. When I hook my laptop up to the wall, I get nothing. No image on the screen and no audio out of my speakers.

I am not sure why this is. I did a test last night where I hooked my laptop up to my HDTV in my bedroom via HDMI and my desktop popped up on my TV screen with no problem. I couldn't get the audio to come through though. Actually it did come through but I had to switch the TV input from HDMI to PC-IN (audio). So I had audio and a blank screen when I did that.

So back to my theater room, is there anything I could do to try and troubleshoot this? I have a Apple Macbook Pro laptop. I have a DVI to HDMI cable from Laptop to wall plate.
post #3638 of 3926 Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
DrA

I want to order chief RPM 181 elite mount but no one has matching plate SLB 181. Everyone has universal but I am afraid it will continue to vibrate like my old ball and socket peerless.
I do have a peerless custom Panny 1000/2000/3000 plate. Can I adapt the old peerless plate to new chief universal main part?
Please let me know where you got your matching plate SLB 181.
Thanks

12/02 found it

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #3639 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 AM

Is there somebody running the AE2000 with a Mac Mini at 1080p/60Hz? (I know you guys are out there
I only get 1080p/24, 1080i/50 and 1080i/60.
Did you do some tweaking with SwitchResX to make it work?

And a question that others may answer as well: Is there a noteable difference between 1080p/60 and 1080i/60 anyway? I mean, my movies are 24-30fps, so there should be enough time/bandwidth to push that picture completely through the pipe at 1080i/60 anyway.
post #3640 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urandom View Post

Is there somebody running the AE2000 with a Mac Mini at 1080p/60Hz? (I know you guys are out there
I only get 1080p/24, 1080i/50 and 1080i/60.
Did you do some tweaking with SwitchResX to make it work?

And a question that others may answer as well: Is there a noteable difference between 1080p/60 and 1080i/60 anyway? I mean, my movies are 24-30fps, so there should be enough time/bandwidth to push that picture completely through the pipe at 1080i/60 anyway.

I run mine at 720p since I could never get 1080p/i to play without stuttering.

what speed mini do you have?
post #3641 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralis View Post

what speed mini do you have?

1,8Ghz Intel Dual Core. Everything runs fine using Plex or XBMC. CPU only gets up to 140% when playing 1080p content.
post #3642 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 AM

ah interesting. I usually use either front row or MediaCentral. I'll give those a try.

as to resolution, tonight I'll take a look and see if I get 1080p as an option. I can't imagine why we wouldn't over HDMI. are you going through a receiver or straight to the projector?
post #3643 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 AM

mac mini -> gefen dvi detective -> dvi to hdmi cable (10m) -> AE2000.
So straight as straight can be
I use the DVI Detective to keep the EDID over a suspend or even reboot. Without it, I would have to physically re-attach the cable to make the mini recognize the AE2000 again.
post #3644 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urandom View Post

mac mini -> gefen dvi detective -> dvi to hdmi cable (10m) -> AE2000.
So straight as straight can be
I use the DVI Detective to keep the EDID over a suspend or even reboot. Without it, I would have to physically re-attach the cable to make the mini recognize the AE2000 again.

oooh, another good tip I could use. I hate how the mini loses resolution out to the standard 1024x768 when I switch inputs. I'll have to look into that.
post #3645 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 AM

hmmm I am wondering if that could be my issue...Urandom mentioned he keeps the cable as straight as it can be and mine definitely has curves in it from how I have it routed. I cannot get my laptop to play through my projector for nothing!
post #3646 of 3926 Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 View Post

hmmm I am wondering if that could be my issue...Urandom mentioned he keeps the cable as straight as it can be and mine definitely has curves in it from how I have it routed. I cannot get my laptop to play through my projector for nothing!

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I'm no native speaker. I just meant with as little converters / components in between as possible.
My cable runs around two corners as well.

But maybe length matters. From what I know DVI can only travel a certain distances without a repeater. But I dont know the exact specs, though. 10m work fine in my setup. Did you test connecting your laptop straight to the projector, thus eliminating the wall-plated cable?
post #3647 of 3926 Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM

I have had my AE2000 several months now and have enjoyed it very much straight out of box. I purchased a 106" Elite Cinetension II accoustically transparent screen to use with it.

I have noticed that when white text is displayed against a dark background, the text has a ghost image below it. This happens via all components - DVD, satellite box, Xbox, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice on what I should do?
post #3648 of 3926 Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR_GA View Post

I have noticed that when white text is displayed against a dark background, the text has a ghost image below it. This happens via all components - DVD, satellite box, Xbox, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice on what I should do?

I have experienced something similar and no amount of focusing, calibration and adjustment of brightness/contrast will get rid of it. I think it's an artifact of smoothscreen, which means it's something I'll avoid like the plague when I buy my next projector 3-5 years from now.

Smoothscreen can make and LCD almost look like a CRT or even provide a more "film-like" presentation but when you get right down to it, it means that the display is less revealing that it would otherwise be if smoothscreen were an option you could turn off.

Dust blobs and smoothscreen are the two things I really hold against this unit. Otherwise I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Watching movies in 1080p on a 92" screen has been a blast.
post #3649 of 3926 Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I have experienced something similar and no amount of focusing, calibration and adjustment of brightness/contrast will get rid of it. I think it's an artifact of smoothscreen, which means it's something I'll avoid like the plague when I buy my next projector 3-5 years from now.

Smoothscreen can make and LCD almost look like a CRT or even provide a more "film-like" presentation but when you get right down to it, it means that the display is less revealing that it would otherwise be if smoothscreen were an option you could turn off.

Dust blobs and smoothscreen are the two things I really hold against this unit. Otherwise I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Watching movies in 1080p on a 92" screen has been a blast.

what had been your experience with dustblobs so far? you've had it for at least a couple months now yes? I ask because mine is currently in for the 3rd time getting cleaned (on top of a recurring flicker that wasn't fixed on the last trip ). and this is even after adding external filters.
post #3650 of 3926 Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralis View Post

what had been your experience with dustblobs so far? you've had it for at least a couple months now yes? I ask because mine is currently in for the 3rd time getting cleaned (on top of a recurring flicker that wasn't fixed on the last trip ). and this is even after adding external filters.

I had a dust blob out of the box. I added an external filter before I even turned my projector on for the first time and I already had a dust blob waiting for me - at first I thought it was a hotspot from the lamp because the idea that there could be a dust blob out of the box seemed ludicrous. I've had the unit for several months now and it hasn't developed any further dust blobs but I also haven't gone to the trouble of opening up the unit and fixing the existing dust blob because I only see it when the screen is black and I don't really want to dismount it and open it up.

The mount I have works but it was an incredible pain in the ass to set up, get properly oriented and locked down.

I've had no flicker issues and I've been running in Eco mode from the very beginning.
post #3651 of 3926 Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM

In my situation, with the text ghosting, the issue is confusing because any image other than text is clear as a bell.

At times, my screen looks as if it made up of horizontal strips - the way the image is shown.

My screen (accoustically transparent) drops down in front of a white pine hutch which is part of a built in bookcase / cabinet. Occassionally I've been able to see a pin hole bright spot reflected back through the screen, and have taken care to remove anything shiny from behind the screen.

Again, other than the issues with the white text, I'm 100% pleased with the picture . . . .
post #3652 of 3926 Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM

try putting something totally black and non reflective (like a blanket) behind a spot where you know you will see white text and see if it persists. it might be some odd reflection from the white bookcase. remember that acoustically transparent also means, to some extent, visually transparent. I have nothing behind mine but the speakers and a wall of black felt.
post #3653 of 3926 Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what the AE2000 does to text on my screen. This was taken from right next to my 92" screen with a digicam that admittedly is not the best in total darkness without a flash but it should illustrate the issue. What you're looking at here is text from a video file on my PS3:

As you can see, there's a faint halo along the topside of the text, as if the projector were one step out of focus. Unfortunately, it is actually in perfect focus. I believe it is smoothscreen that causes this issue. I can adjust the focus so this halo is below the text instead of above but even going to the finest steps I can't get it more in focus than this. When I'm sitting 10' back from the screen it's less of an issue but it's still a step away from producing as great an image as it could and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Smoothscreen seems to produce (optically) what is in effect a 1/2 pixel blur across the entire screen.

Here's another example of this effect on text that's from the title cards of the anime series Freedom:

And here's a picture of the entire screen to show how large this text actually is:

The curvature of the screen is from the lens of my digicam, not from the projector being setup incorrectly.
post #3654 of 3926 Old 12-28-2008, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try to tack up some black velvet behind the screen and then look at some text. If that doesn't eliminate the problem, I'll try and post some pictures.
post #3655 of 3926 Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM

Hi all,

I have a 2000u projector that has started showing a red tint to the entire screen and pure magenta in the bottom 2 corners. I sent in the warranty extention rebate and received the Blockbuster rental card back so I know that they received my rebate. Unfortunately, Panny is having difficulty locating it. Supposedly I should have received a certificate in the mail along with the Blockbuster card that included information on how to use the extended warranty. I don't recall receiving this info, but it is long gone if I did. Does anyone have a copy of this info that they could send to me? Without this info, my projector has broken 1 week out of warranty.
post #3656 of 3926 Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerHead View Post

Hi all,

I have a 2000u projector that has started showing a red tint to the entire screen and pure magenta in the bottom 2 corners. I sent in the warranty extention rebate and received the Blockbuster rental card back so I know that they received my rebate. Unfortunately, Panny is having difficulty locating it. Supposedly I should have received a certificate in the mail along with the Blockbuster card that included information on how to use the extended warranty. I don't recall receiving this info, but it is long gone if I did. Does anyone have a copy of this info that they could send to me? Without this info, my projector has broken 1 week out of warranty.

I can tell you that I received my info on the extended warranty a good month (if not longer) after I got the Blockbuster card. IIRC, it's just a single sheet of paper, a certificate with your serial number on it. I can look for it when I get home from work, however, as I got it in the mail just last week.

Edit: I checked and yes, I only got a certificate. Nothing else. All it does is verify my purchase date, serial number and the date to which my warranty is extended. There's nothing else on it.
post #3657 of 3926 Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Bummer about the warranty certificate. Be sure not to loose it because that has to be faxed to Heartland for 2nd year warranty repairs. Seems like Panny would have it in their records that your warranty was extended, but that is a little bit too smart I guess.

I have escalated that problem at Panny so hopefully they will "find' the 2nd year warranty or at least cover this claim since it is only 1 week out of warranty.
post #3658 of 3926 Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 AM

I want to access the polarizers and clean them. I have the service manual and the procedure seems pretty straitforward.

How do I disconnect the three main LCD ribbons from the A-P.C. Board? Is there some kind of clip? Can I touch the ribbons with my fingers? I know Ferbal knows how to do this. Many thanks.
post #3659 of 3926 Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
BE VERY CAREFUL!! The ribbons are connected to ZIF sockets and you must lift the locking bar first before trying to pull the ribbon out. There should literally be no force required to remove the ribbons once the locking bar is correctly unlocked.

If you're wondering at the capitals, it's because I trashed my original AE1000 by pulling the ribbons out without unlocking the ZIF first. After this the green LCD stayed full on all the time so the PJ was toast.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3660 of 3926 Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 AM

Many thanks. I'll try that. I haven't tried to disconnect it yet because I didn't know how the locking bar worked (lifting, pulling, shifting?) and didn't want to brake anything.

Now that I know that it's called a ZIF socket, I should be able to find photos on the Internet.

So I have to lift it. I assume I can lift it with my fingers. No tool needed...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page