Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 3930 Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I ordered a new blue polarizer and installed it. The stain is still there and the picture is the same as before. The stain doesn't bother me in general, but it's a problem with black and white movies or grey areas in color movies.

I inspected the mirrors and polarizers and there is no dust build up to be seen. I've been reading further on this topic and I came to the conclusion that I have a gamma shading issue, which can be corrected via software ajdustments. Unfortunately, according to the service manual, the service menu doesn't have adjustments to fix this. It looks like it's done in the factory with a special software.

I'll call Panasonic to see what they can do. Otherwise I'll just live with the stain and forget about it.

Thank you all for the assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3930 Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bartok
Sorry to know that the new polarizer did not fix the yellow stain.
You could be right and there is a gamma shading issue, or maybe Kelvin is right and there is a misalignment problem.
One last thing that I can think of: did you check the blue LCD ficker (EXT OPTION Menu).
Again, tell us how it went.
post #3693 of 3930 Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Bartok
I read it in the <3000 pj forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1119237
Could this be your problem?
"...I had yellow streak across my screen, according to my ISF tech, that is a sign of overheated panel..."
post #3694 of 3930 Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the link, Ferbal.

I always use my projector in eco mode with the fan on high altitude for sessions that are almost always less than 3 hours. I also have a lot of clearance around the projector. But we never know, I'll check the temperature in the service menu and see. Thanks again. I appreciate.
post #3695 of 3930 Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

PROBLEM:
From the 200 hours, my AE2000 had developed a persistent and visible lack of color uniformity. The problem was observed as a cyan color stripe in bright white picture and dark red stripe in a black image. It covered almost the whole width of the bottom of the screen, with a height of approximately 4 (10 cm).

Referencing a post from 6 months ago: I just want to note that I'm another person who had this same "sticky ribbon" problem. My projector only had 22 hours on it but (for various reasons) went unused for about a year with plastic around it to keep the dust out. When I powered it up in January there was a big blotch across the picture, visible as green on a black screen and magenta on a white screen. There were also slightly visible horizontal distortion lines around and below the blotch area. Test patterns confirmed the problem was in the green light path. A white frame looked something like this:

Unlike ferbal's description, my blotch was actually a substantial distance up from the bottom of the frame, so at first I assumed it was dust or some other blockage instead. Attempts to spray air into the green path did nothing to help.

Thanks to the pictures and writeup, and because my warranty was up, I decided to dig deeper into the projector before calling Panasonic. As soon as I pulled out the polarizer assembly the problem was blatantly obvious and was exactly the same as ferbal's: the phase difference board (a little clear panel) had come loose and slid downward in its little metal frame. The edge of the panel, which has a ribbon of adhesive on it, was now within the light path. The only reason my blotch was higher up in the picture was because the projector had been sitting longer and the part had been able to fall farther out of alignment.

I tried simply pushing the panel back into place to see if it would stick. I left the projector disassembled overnight, and within 24 hours it had already come loose and fallen again. I considered using some additional adhesive, but I wasn't sure how hot this part of the light path gets and didn't want to risk anything flammable in there. So instead I made a little metal clamp. For material I took an excess slat from an aluminum window blind and removed the paint from it with sandpaper. I cut it with scissors and bent it into shape with tweezers, attaching it by simply bending little tabs around some notches in the existing frame. I'll admit it took several attempts to get it right, but in the end I managed to get one attached that was just the right size and shape to do the job. It should both hold the "loose" edge of the panel against the frame, and keep it from sliding downward even if its adhesive gives out.

The original sliding had caused some adhesive to get smeared onto the normally visible portion of the panel. I used isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs to carefully clean it.

Note that I never had to actually detach the phase difference board's frame from the rest of the polarizer assembly. Using tweezers and a small vise to hold things steady, I was able to do all of this in-place. It was a little awkward at times but it meant I didn't have to worry about marking its position and realigning it when screwing it back on.

Everything's been reassembled for a month and so far the projector is working perfectly again under regular use. Even with test patterns I don't see any distortions or non-uniformity in the image. Thanks to ferbal for posting about it in the first place. For anyone else who gets the same problem and is out of warranty, this does seem to be something you can fix yourself if you're careful.
post #3696 of 3930 Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dododge View Post

...Thanks to ferbal for posting about it in the first place. For anyone else who gets the same problem and is out of warranty, this does seem to be something you can fix yourself if you're careful.

Hi dododge. Glad to read that my post served you!

Fernando
post #3697 of 3930 Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
ferbal:

You helped me as well, by warning me off inverted mounting.

I read through this whole thread before I got my PT-AE2000, and your posts about the part sliding up out of its mount when mounted upside down led me to avoid mounting it upside-down altogether - I simply went to my local hardware store and got inexpensive - but strong - wireframe shelving (good air circulation!) that stands on poles straddling my equipment cabinet. It's been running like this since August with no problems. I posted photos of the setup a while ago.

I heartily recommend this approach - no drilling holes, no cabinetry. It went together in a few minutes.

Just don't stand it directly over your amplifier - I fried mine that way, since the projector's intake fans stole the air the amplifier needed to cool itself! I ended up pressing another old surround amp into service that I now like better, but that's another story that you can read about in the BD50 thread - and I moved the disk player stack - which doesn't need cooling as much - under the projector so the amp could breathe free.

I've also avoided the dust blob problem by keeping all particulates out of the air - my ceiling is painted (no acoustic tile dust), and there's no smoking or making of popcorn in the projector room. I don't want to put a filter over the projector's air intake, since that could make it run hot.

post #3698 of 3930 Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM

awesome projector, I love it!
post #3699 of 3930 Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Philnick,
can you tell me the pages where it says that the invert mount is not good for it? I just received my Ae2000 last night and would like to take every precaution to keep it unning great. thanks
post #3700 of 3930 Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3yq View Post

Philnick,
can you tell me the pages where it says that the invert mount is not good for it? I just received my Ae2000 last night and would like to take every precaution to keep it unning great. thanks

Hi j3yq
You can find it here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14085040
I have to say that, after I fix the problem, I continue using my projector upsidedown (ceiling mounted) and everything is OK
post #3701 of 3930 Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM

My AE2000U just "went dim" on me all of a sudden - turned it on this afternoon and the brightness appears to be about 1/2 of what it normally is... can anyone shed light on this mystery. I even have the "dynamic" setting selected and its nearly unwatchable with ANY ambient light. ~1500 hours on the unit.
post #3702 of 3930 Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Most probably, the lamp will die shortly. Did you use the lamp power in normal mode?
post #3703 of 3930 Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM

Hi,
On the topic of lamp life I have some questions;

1. What is the normal operation of the projector once the lamp reaches 2000 hours? (I thought I head something like the projector powers on for a few minutes and then powers down? Does it give any warning message about lamp life up and explain why it is powering down?)
2. Do bulbs fails prematurely? If my projector won't light after 1200 hours or so do I assume a bulb failure? How about 1500 or 1800? I would hate to buy a bulb only to find my problem was somewhere else?
3. Do I have to do some sort of service menu hours reset once I replace the bulb?

This is all informational, I currently have 1100+ hours and working fine however I am contemplating a bulb purchase so I have it on-hand so once mine fails I wouldn't have to wait on a replacement....
post #3704 of 3930 Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am at 1600 hours. My bulb is taking a lot longer to get bright than it used to. I am thinking it is time. I don't know about the Panny, but the Benq 7700 popped up a warning to change the bulb after so many hours.
Bulbs can fail prematurely. That is why the bulb has a really short warranty. The projector has a bulb failure light that comes on when the bulb goes completely.
Once you change the bulb you reset it in the menu. You could reset it and keep watching on the same bulb, but you risk breakage. You really don't want breakage. Nasty stuff in these lamps.
Warren.
post #3705 of 3930 Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

1. What is the normal operation of the projector once the lamp reaches 2000 hours?
From the User Manual:
"When to replace the lamp unit: The lamp unit is consumable and the brightness decreases by duration of usage. The LAMP indicator (red) will inform you of the replacement timing at 1 800 hours, and at 2 000 hours, the projector will be turned off. Those figures are rough guidance and might be shortened by the usage conditions, characteristics of the lamp unit,
environmental conditions, and so on. You can check the duration of usage time using LAMP RUNTIME in the OPTION menu."
Also, " Over 2,000 hours: REPLACE LAMP is displayed on the upper left of the screen for 30 seconds. To clear the screen immediately, press any button."

2. Do bulbs fails prematurely? If my projector won't light after 1200 hours or so do I assume a bulb failure? How about 1500 or 1800? I would hate to buy a bulb only to find my problem was somewhere else?
Yes. Check the lamp failure warning led ("lamp indicator")

3. Do I have to do some sort of service menu hours reset once I replace the bulb?
Yes. Check your manual. "Resetting the LAMP RUNTIME" at page 45.

This is all informational, I currently have 1100+ hours and working fine however I am contemplating a bulb purchase so I have it on-hand so once mine fails I wouldn't have to wait on a replacement....
If I want to keep my PJ for a 2,000 hours I'll buy another lamp. Remember that the lamps comes with a warranty (90 days) so, it is convenient to change lamps and keep the old one as spare.
post #3706 of 3930 Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

1. What is the normal operation of the projector once the lamp reaches 2000 hours?
From the User Manual:
"When to replace the lamp unit: The lamp unit is consumable and the brightness decreases by duration of usage. The LAMP indicator (red) will inform you of the replacement timing at 1 800 hours, and at 2 000 hours, the projector will be turned off. Those figures are rough guidance and might be shortened by the usage conditions, characteristics of the lamp unit,
environmental conditions, and so on. You can check the duration of usage time using LAMP RUNTIME in the OPTION menu."
Also, " Over 2,000 hours: REPLACE LAMP is displayed on the upper left of the screen for 30 seconds. To clear the screen immediately, press any button."

Yes. Check the lamp failure warning led ("lamp indicator")

Yes. Check your manual. "Resetting the LAMP RUNTIME" at page 45.

If I want to keep my PJ for a 2,000 hours I'll buy another lamp. Remember that the lamps comes with a warranty (90 days) so, it is convenient to change lamps and keep the old one as spare.

Hmm, so I will most likely run to 2000 hours about the time of the new 2010 projectors come out.....decisions, decisions...
post #3707 of 3930 Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I bought a bulb for my old 7700 even though I was planning on getting a new projector. I use it to project out my window onto a screen on the patio.
Warren.
post #3708 of 3930 Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerHead View Post

Hi all,

I have a 2000u projector that has started showing a red tint to the entire screen and pure magenta in the bottom 2 corners. I sent in the warranty extention rebate and received the Blockbuster rental card back so I know that they received my rebate. Unfortunately, Panny is having difficulty locating it. Supposedly I should have received a certificate in the mail along with the Blockbuster card that included information on how to use the extended warranty. I don't recall receiving this info, but it is long gone if I did. Does anyone have a copy of this info that they could send to me? Without this info, my projector has broken 1 week out of warranty.

Hi all, thought I would convey some really irritating info. It took 1 month for Panny to decide that their records of me sending in the rebate meant that I actualy had the extra year of warranty. This was the beginning of my broken projector headaches.

After they agreed that I had warranty, I sent the projector to Heartland. They quickly determined that I needed new polarizers which were on back-order till Feb 26. That was a 3.5 week backorder. I start calling asking for status after the 26th and kept getting told that the items were stuck in customs.

After getting fed up today, I ask to speak with a supervisor at Heartland. The sup informs me that the polarizers were delivered in late Feb as expected, but not enough came in to fix my projector. Basically, 4 different cust serv reps told me the same lie. I am now on another backorder until Mar 31. I can only hope that they get enough this time, otherwise I'll be waiting another month!

I have always been pleased with Panny products and the image of this projector is very pleasing to me. Unfortuneately, given this 3 month repair process that may end up taking even longer, I will never purchase Panny again. They have put a terrible taste in my mouth!!!
post #3709 of 3930 Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi all, thought I would convey some really irritating info. It took 1 month for Panny to decide that their records of me sending in the rebate meant that I actualy had the extra year of warranty. This was the beginning of my broken projector headaches.

After they agreed that I had warranty, I sent the projector to Heartland. They quickly determined that I needed new polarizers which were on back-order till Feb 26. That was a 3.5 week backorder. I start calling asking for status after the 26th and kept getting told that the items were stuck in customs.

After getting fed up today, I ask to speak with a supervisor at Heartland. The sup informs me that the polarizers were delivered in late Feb as expected, but not enough came in to fix my projector. Basically, 4 different cust serv reps told me the same lie. I am now on another backorder until Mar 31. I can only hope that they get enough this time, otherwise I'll be waiting another month!

I have always been pleased with Panny products and the image of this projector is very pleasing to me. Unfortuneately, given this 3 month repair process that may end up taking even longer, I will never purchase Panny again. They have put a terrible taste in my mouth!!!

When I purchased my AE2000, I was supposed to get the warranty extension. I sent in the form on time, but never got anything back acknowledging that the received it and saying that my warranty was really extended. This has always worried me. Then months later, I received a Blockbuster card for like 52 free movie rentals. The thing is, with the rebate form I sent in, I wasn't supposed to get the Blockbuster card. Since then I've been even more worried that they screwed something up. Sure hope I never need to use the warranty.

Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3710 of 3930 Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post

When I purchased my AE2000, I was supposed to get the warranty extension. I sent in the form on time, but never got anything back acknowledging that the received it and saying that my warranty was really extended. This has always worried me. Then months later, I received a Blockbuster card for like 52 free movie rentals. The thing is, with the rebate form I sent in, I wasn't supposed to get the Blockbuster card. Since then I've been even more worried that they screwed something up. Sure hope I never need to use the warranty.

Guy

I hate to tell you this but you might be SOL on the extension. You need the extended warranty certificate in order for Heartland to repair your projector. I'd get on the horn with Panasonic (or the dealer you purchased from) ASAP.
post #3711 of 3930 Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post

Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost View Post

I hate to tell you this but you might be SOL on the extension. You need the extended warranty certificate in order for Heartland to repair your projector. I'd get on the horn with Panasonic (or the dealer you purchased from) ASAP.

TF Ghost is right, you need to contact Panny support ASAP. I was able to send them a photocopy of the Blockbuster card as proof that my rebate had been submitted correctly. This seems to be the evidence they needed because I was getting nowhere until I sent the photocopy in about 2 weeks into their "research".
post #3712 of 3930 Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have skimmed some of this thread, and I have a question for current owners. Do you think this is a good bet for a used projector? Meaning, if you had to buy it again, would you? I am in the market for a used 1080p in this price range, and it's one of the contenders.

Thanks,

Jim

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

post #3713 of 3930 Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Overall, I like my projector. The image and feature set are both great.

There have been a number of people complaining about dust blobs on the inside of their lens, but I haven't experienced that. There have also been a number of people experience problems with the color filters moving for upside down installation, but I also have not experienced this issue. I did, however, experience some sort of failure to the polarizers in the projector and it has been down since Christmas. From my experience, the warranty repair process is horrendous!

If I were buying a new projector, I would not buy this one again because of the warranty issue. If I were buying used, I would definately consider this projector the reduced cost would reduce the pain of bad service.
post #3714 of 3930 Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheatre View Post

Do you think this is a good bet for a used projector?

No, simply because of the 1 year/2000hr limitation on the warranty.
post #3715 of 3930 Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheatre View Post

I have skimmed some of this thread, and I have a question for current owners. Do you think this is a good bet for a used projector? Meaning, if you had to buy it again, would you? I am in the market for a used 1080p in this price range, and it's one of the contenders.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim
I am the one who had the "moving polarizer" problem. The AE2000 (my 5th PJ) is, all in all, a beautiful PJ. Life-like images and decent blacks with adecuate brightness. No dust blobs or dead pixels. OK misconvergence, focus and uniformity. So, if the price is right and the hours-count low, I would buy it.
Fernando
post #3716 of 3930 Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Thanks, guys, for your responses. I currently have an HD65 throwing on a 77" Da-Lite Matte-White screen (biggest I can go, unfortunately). It's like having a 77" plasma, but black levels aren't the greatest. And I'm none too fond of the rainbows.

Seems like the AE2000 may fit my needs pretty well.

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

post #3717 of 3930 Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM

I've got a quick question: my projector today went dim, and I mean VERY DIM. I can barely see it with the lights off. The bulb is around 1500 hours on eco-mode... is this an indication of bulb failure? I guess I always figured it would just go out completely, but this went from "normal" brightness to almost nothing - but still a very slight image. I just want to know what it is, before I go and buy a new bulb.

Thanks.
post #3718 of 3930 Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Try switching to Normal mode from Eco. I've heard of people having similar issues that have been resolved by switching this. Afterwards you may be able to switch back to Eco.

If not, maybe you do need a new bulb.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3719 of 3930 Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Fortunately, Panny was a little ahead of schedule. I just received my repaired projector. Hopefully I will get it installed tonight or tomorrow to make sure the problems are gone. For all the "pain" of this repair, I certainly hope they did a good job.

The tech report says that they replaced the Polarizer, Plate, and Analysis Block. Does anyone know what these parts do?
post #3720 of 3930 Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Liked: 16
Well, looks like I have to take mine apart. I think I have maybe 250hrs on my unit so far.

I found what appears to be a barely visible hair vertically on the screen on the right side. Its annoying in the sense that its fluttering with the fan moving it around but not off of the lens.

Also, lately Ive been getting really quick blackouts on the unit. Happened to me twice today when I was watching a TV show. Screen would just go black for like a second and then picture would come back on. Anyone else experiencing this?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page