post #3871 of 3926 Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

Hi Andy
870 hs seem too little for a burnt polarizer, but the meter could have been reseted.
The REAL total hours can be seen in the hidden Service Menu = Extended Option Menu.

Thank you all! Sorry to be slow in acknowledging your help--thought I was subscribed to get emails but wasn't. I went into the self-check screen as you suggested and a picture of the resulting data is attached. Looks like total hours is 3358, and reset is 2. Does that mean it's on its third lamp?

The seller insists it's just a calibration issue. Anyone care to weigh in on that opinion?

Thanks again,
Andy
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3926 Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinsb View Post

... total hours is 3358, and reset is 2. Does that mean it's on its third lamp?

By the way, the eBay listing made it clear that the 870 hour figure referred to the lamp. No figure was given for the total hours on the projector. The seller did, however, claim the projector was in "excellent working condition."

Andy
post #3873 of 3926 Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 AM

Liked: 11
Andy, Im pretty sure this thread has mentioned your problem before. Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Bulb time seems to vary from one owner to another,but polorizers are effected by heat. I reset my lamp at 1997 hrs and have another 1100 on the original bulb! Why everybody is thinking? The picture looks good! I only have some small misconvergence on the left side that was there when it was new. My fan has been running on high from day one and never even noticed the increased sound for more than 3 mins. Rob
post #3874 of 3926 Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 PM

just got a used ae2000 off ebay... its my first projector... so to me its great!

but has 2015 total hours usage and still on its first bulb... is that heavy use?

the red lamp lights on... but starts up and runs ok without turning off

i don't have the cash to buy a new lamp just yet... but still want to use it

if the bulb blows does all the broken glass and mercury remain within the lamp housing?

what is the average life in total of these projectors?

and setting the fan to max power through the service menu help longevity?

thanks
post #3875 of 3926 Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have ran mine like up to 3800 hours on one bulb. Never heard of a bulb blowing up. They just get dimmer and dimmer. I did have to reset the bulb hours to get it to be happy.
post #3876 of 3926 Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid* View Post

just got a used ae2000 off ebay... its my first projector... so to me its great!
but has 2015 total hours usage and still on its first bulb... is that heavy use?

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy! Mine's still going strong after four years and only two replacement bulbs.

The risk of a bulb blowing supposedly goes up as it ages, but I've never seen stats about how many catastrophically fail versus just going out. I replaced my first bulb after the recommend time period, but kept my second one through two resets -- more than 4000 hours. I agree with other poster, it is much more likely to get too dim over time than to fully fail. At 2000 hours, it's definitely worth the tiny risk to keep it going and save money IMHO.

Quote:

the red lamp lights on... but starts up and runs ok without turning off

You can go into the service menu and reset the hours. That will keep the red light off and avoid a startup delay that happens at some number of hours (2500?). See the manual for how to do it, I don't have the manual with me.
post #3877 of 3926 Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM

ok thanks for the information

wow 4000+ on one bulb... how is the picture quality compared to new lamp?

i guess there pretty well made...

and seems little risk of the lamp bulb bursting!

is a brand new oem panasonic lamp much brighter than one with 2000+ hours on it?

thanks
post #3878 of 3926 Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

wow 4000+ on one bulb... how is the picture quality compared to new lamp?

is a brand new oem panasonic lamp much brighter than one with 2000+ hours on it?

I'm not recommending letting it run for 4000 hours, just that it was my experience. YMMV and all that. The reason I replaced it was that I was having a Super Bowl party so I didn't want it to go out in the middle of the game. Yes, a new bulb is visibly brighter. The brightness goes down quickly at first, then gets dimmer more slowly. So for the 4000 hr bulb, after the first 500 hours or so, it got dimmer so slowly that I didn't notice a big change -- till I replaced it! I guess a purist may have noticed variations across the screen in brightness or color, but I didn't. Anyway, the point is you can let the bulb go for a while, but it's a risk, and your tolerance for it getting dimmer is personal taste. Good luck.
post #3879 of 3926 Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone else run a Comcast PNG110 HD cable box with their 2000? I'm having a hard time getting it to acknowledge the projector's ability to display 1080p.
post #3880 of 3926 Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

Does anyone else run a Comcast PNG110 HD cable box with their 2000? I'm having a hard time getting it to acknowledge the projector's ability to display 1080p.

I believe Comcast Cable is 1080i only and not 1080p on their HD channels. When i had Comcast I verified this using my Yamaha RX-V3800, which could display input and output signals.

GL
post #3881 of 3926 Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
First lamp = 2540 hours and still functional (in box as backup)
Second lamp = ran to failure @ 3060 hours (had to reset hours at 2287, lamp just went dark at failure)
Third lamp = ~2700 hours and will run to failure (reset hours at 2598)

When the third lamp fails in the next few months, I'll put the first lamp in and then have to make a decision. I'll eventually buy a new Panny, but may want to wait for the AE8000 in hopes of RF 3D glasses support. That may mean I buy another lamp for my AE2000, but it still throws a great picture after over 8000 hours.
post #3882 of 3926 Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

I believe Comcast Cable is 1080i only and not 1080p on their HD channels. When i had Comcast I verified this using my Yamaha RX-V3800, which could display input and output signals.
GL

Thats what I thought too until two days ago.
We just got a new DVR because our other one was acting up. I hooked it all up and our Sharp TV detected 1080p. I then brought it upstairs and hooked it up to the AE2000 and yes 1080p again! And it looked awesome! However my HD tuner (non DVR unit) still only does 1080i. I think I will take it in and see if there is a newer model.

After further research, it looks like the box it upconverting to 1080p because the broadcast is still 1080i or less. Interesting...
post #3883 of 3926 Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I've had my AE2000 for about 4.5 years, still on my first bulb with about 2700~ hours on it. Had to tell the projector to reset the hours at about 2500, otherwise it would shut down because it said the bulb had to be replaced.

I'm looking to buy a replacement bulb since the picture seems dim, so I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get an official bulb replacement at a decent price. I've found some places but want to make sure the sellers and lamps are legit.

Thanks.
post #3884 of 3926 Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I'm looking to buy a replacement bulb since the picture seems dim, so I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get an official bulb replacement at a decent price. I've found some places but want to make sure the sellers and lamps are legit.
The last lamp I bought from buy.com; just checked and they're still selling them, currently $317.34 + FREE SHIPPING. The package looked like the genuine part from Panasonic, and it's lasted quite a while so far. I recommend searching for the lamp model # ET-LAE1000 to find the best price at a place you can trust. Buy.com has been fine for other stuff too, though I never had to resolve a problem with them or make a return.
post #3885 of 3926 Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my AE2000 for almost 5 years and I have about 900 hours on my second bulb. Recently the picture started slowly pulsating back and forth between brighter and dimmer. I went back in this thread and found others with what sounds like the same problem. The posts suggested changing the projector from Eco mode to Normal mode. Apparently the bulb eats away at electrodes or something in one mode causing the arc to jump in and out of the grooves it makes. The posts suggested simply changing from Eco to Normal mode to make the problem go away, as Normal mode would be at a different place in the bulb. So my question is how long did it take before switching to Normal mode made the problem go away? Was it immediate or did it take a while to fix it? After I switched to Normal, it is certainly less frequent but the bright/dim pulsing is still happening.

Thanks,
Guy
post #3886 of 3926 Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Thanks.

I haven't replaced my bulb yet, 2400 hrs. so far, but I am thinking of doing it soon. I was going to order from myprojectorlamps.com. The bulb is selling for $253 right now. I have not ordered from this site before. If anyone else has ordered from this site, let us know your results.

Dave

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #3887 of 3926 Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

I have a AE2000 unit that has fried its Optical Block (according to Panasonic repair folks). At $2500 to replace this component in the projector I have opted not to do the repair. (Unless someone can tell me how to repair myself with a used Optical block???)

The upside is I have a brand new official ET LAE1000 Panasonic Bulb from Japan with the new filter with 0 hrs. on it (I bought thinking this was the issue). If anyone is interested PM me and make an offer (Seeing as most people here know what a 'real' bulb goes for, not the cheapo junk, make a reasonable offer, please:)).

I have the previous bulb with ~1800 hrs on it (still was working) and the projector so if anyone want to buy the projector for other parts or the old bulb, contact me via PM and make me an offer. I will also be putting this up in the classifieds.
post #3888 of 3926 Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I ended up buying a "compatible" lamp from Projector Lamp Center, via Amazon, for about $150. Installed it on Monday, picture looks great. At 2600+ hours on my first lamp, I had it on "Normal" picture setting just to have it be a decent brightness. I'm back to Cinema 1 and it's bright and beautiful. Especially great for the darker movies and TV shows where shadow detail and dark scenes can look great or horrible.
post #3889 of 3926 Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You are lucky. My "compatible" lamp was dimmer than my 3k hour bulb. Huge waste of money.
post #3890 of 3926 Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

At first I couldn't really tell a difference. Then after an hour or two, the bulb seemed to get up to full power and became much brighter.
post #3891 of 3926 Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an AE2000 that I bought new. It has been in service since March of 2008. During that time I have replaced the bulb once in May of 2011. The projector is used at a photography studio for sales presentations. It is use for several hours a day, five days a week. The projector probably has close to 4000 hours on it, possibly more (I know I can check this, I just haven't yet). Lately it has been having some issues. The image flickers occasionally. Also, the color and contrast have degraded such that the image quality dull and flat. No amount of adjustment brings it back to where it once was in terms of image quality. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with this projector? To me, it seems like a possible problem with the LCD unit. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? Is it even worth it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #3892 of 3926 Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Flickering is a bulb issue. Changing from eco to normal power (or the other way) for a 5 hours or so remedies that. I have had to do that once in a while with my ae-2000 and my newer Epson 5010. However, it sounds like your bulb should be replaced again. Two years of that much operation is a lot.
post #3893 of 3926 Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Flickering is a bulb issue. Changing from eco to normal power (or the other way) for a 5 hours or so remedies that. I have had to do that once in a while with my ae-2000 and my newer Epson 5010. However, it sounds like your bulb should be replaced again. Two years of that much operation is a lot.

I bought my AE2000 new... it has served me well after all these years. I've only had to change to bulb once. I bought a genuine Panasonic bulb for about $300.

It's probably time for another replacement bulb. The genuine Panasonic bulb still sells for around $300. I notieced that there are aftermarket replacement bulbs for only $100.
Has anyone used these aftermarket bulbs? If so, are they any good?

Thanks!
post #3894 of 3926 Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought one, it was dimmer than the bulb I replaced with 3k hours on it. Lasted a few weeks maybe. Don't even think about it, get the real deal.
post #3895 of 3926 Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I bought one, it was dimmer than the bulb I replaced with 3k hours on it. Lasted a few weeks maybe. Don't even think about it, get the real deal.

Thanks! I agree.... it's not worth it. My AE2000 still perform flawlessly. The only "flaws" are the half a dozen dust bunnies on the screen. They got there when I had my AD2000 ceiling mounted. I'm too lazy to open it up for cleaning. Besides, I can only seen them during dark scenes of movies. smile.gif Ever since I switched to keeping my AE2000 on the coffee table, I have not seen any new dust bunnies. (though the original 6 still remain and did not multiply like rabbits biggrin.gif )
post #3896 of 3926 Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmouse View Post

I bought my AE2000 new... it has served me well after all these years. I've only had to change to bulb once. I bought a genuine Panasonic bulb for about $300.

It's probably time for another replacement bulb. The genuine Panasonic bulb still sells for around $300. I notieced that there are aftermarket replacement bulbs for only $100.
Has anyone used these aftermarket bulbs? If so, are they any good?

Thanks!

I purchased an off brand several years ago...and it still works and is quite bright. It was not $100 off ebay though. I think I posted up the swap on here some time ago...do a search on my screen name!

Here it is!
post #3897 of 3926 Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

I purchased an off brand several years ago...and it still works and is quite bright. It was not $100 off ebay though. I think I posted up the swap on here some time ago...do a search on my screen name!

Here it is!

Wow... I feel like such an old cheapskate... am I the only one who is still hanging on to the AE2000 projector?

I did not realize this thread has basically been abandoned for over a year. (between post #3890 and post #3891)
post #3898 of 3926 Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm still happily using my PT-AE2000U - and I'm still on my original bulb, with a (genuine Panasonic) replacement bulb on the shelf as future-proofing insurance.

I have zero interest in 3D or 120 hertz refresh rates, and since I don't use it to watch current television except for rare events like World Series games, Presidential debates, and inaugurations, my projector is only used a few times a week, to watch movies and concerts - and old sci-fi series - with friends. I've had it over five years now - since July of 2008 - and it's still going strong, filling my 9 1/2 foot wide screen with bright, sharp images.

I'm in no rush to replace mine.

-Phil
NewtownTheater likes this.

post #3899 of 3926 Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmouse View Post

Thanks! I agree.... it's not worth it. My AE2000 still perform flawlessly. The only "flaws" are the half a dozen dust bunnies on the screen. They got there when I had my AD2000 ceiling mounted. I'm too lazy to open it up for cleaning. Besides, I can only seen them during dark scenes of movies. smile.gif Ever since I switched to keeping my AE2000 on the coffee table, I have not seen any new dust bunnies. (though the original 6 still remain and did not multiply like rabbits biggrin.gif )

Before I got my PT-AE2000, I had read in this thread about the "sliding filter" problems that resulted from upside-down mounting from the ceiling. My solution, with photos earlier in this thread, was to buy wire-frame shelving from a local hardware store. I slid two of the support poles behind the cabinet on my rear wall that houses the rest of my equipment and positioned the other two in front, slid the top shelf that would hold the projector, right-side up, above the equipment cabinet down from the top, lifted up the poles a few inches to slide the bottom shelf that would make the assemblage into a rigid box in from below and raised it up so I could lower it onto the plastic shims, and I was done - without even having to move the equipment cabinet!

Plenty of air circulation for the projector, and problem-free operation.

I don't allow smoking in the theater, which may also help. The ceiling tiles are painted, which prevents asbestos dust from being sucked into the projector's air intake.

All low-tech solutions ("appropriate technology" anyone?) that have served me well.

-Phil

post #3900 of 3926 Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

When I went looking recently the cheapest OEM bulb I could find was in the $450-$475 range. I was able to get one for $317 less than a year ago, but lately the price on the real LAE1000 module appears to have gone way up.

I upgraded to an AE8000 this week. I use my projector so much that I now go through a bulb in less than a year, so I was already spending a bunch on bulbs for the 2000 and I figure that price was only going to get worse. My blue polarizer also got a bit toasted somewhere around 5000 hours, to the point that I sometimes notice a yellowish tinge in the middle of the image. I do have a bit of interest in 3D support, as well as eventually going to constant-height, so I waited to see what came out of CEDIA and finally made a decision a couple days ago.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page