Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3901 of 3926 Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still going strong. Initial repair (stupid tape) done many years ago and now 3 years into the 2nd bulb. Might last until January and then i'll figure out if hunting down an OEM bulb is better than looking for a replacement projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3926 Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of replacement parts. Anyone know where I can get a remote that won't cost me $200 smile.gif

Or does anyone have ideas about maybe programming a programmable remote and using that to control? I recently purchased this projector, but he didn't have the remote for it. I want to ceiling mount the projector but then doing the setup is gonna be hard with no remote.

Thoughts or ideas? I'd love to hear them.

I started a thread on the classifieds.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502829/wtb-remote-eur7914z60-for-pt-ae2000u/0_100

That's wasn't flying... That was falling with style!
post #3903 of 3926 Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM

By the way my family and I upgraded from an Optoma HD70 and wow this projector blows it away. My son says it's like watching it gigantic flat panel plasma TV. We're all pretty excited.

biggrin.gif

post #3904 of 3926 Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownTheater View Post

Speaking of replacement parts. Anyone know where I can get a remote that won't cost me $200 smile.gif

Or does anyone have ideas about maybe programming a programmable remote and using that to control? I recently purchased this projector, but he didn't have the remote for it. I want to ceiling mount the projector but then doing the setup is gonna be hard with no remote.

Thoughts or ideas? I'd love to hear them.

I started a thread on the classifieds.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502829/wtb-remote-eur7914z60-for-pt-ae2000u/0_100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownTheater View Post

By the way my family and I upgraded from an Optoma HD70 and wow this projector blows it away. My son says it's like watching it gigantic flat panel plasma TV. We're all pretty excited.

biggrin.gif

I use a Harmony 880 remote to control the 2000. And since the Harmony remote is a web based setup, many of the IR buttons from the AE2000 remote should already be stored in the Harmony's web data base. I know I registered many of the IR commands myself. But, a Harmony remote may not be any less expensive. Good Luck!

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #3905 of 3926 Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Great thanks! This is a wonderful idea. Because if I'm going to spend this kind of money I want it to control other stuff too. Spending $140 which is the best price I've found seems rough, but maybe it's because I'm a newbie and my wife will kill me if I spend $140 on a remote that only controls the projector.

post #3906 of 3926 Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 PM

Can anyone help me identify a part? My lamp blew and when it did the two wire connector burned and fused to the plug in which it was connected. I don't know what this plug is called so that I may find a replacement. I was able to locate the service manual through the help of this forum, but still no luck in identifying part name and number. Anyone had this happen? Can it be repaired easily? Any idea which part(s)?
post #3907 of 3926 Old 12-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Liked: 17
Is it both the plug and socket that is damaged?
post #3908 of 3926 Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 17
I think the lamp assembly has the socket built in. It will be a lamp connector plug or socket the u a looking for.
post #3909 of 3926 Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM

I believe the remote from the pt-ae900 is the same so you may have luck finding one of those, in fact you can pick up a working projector with remote off eBay for $200 so you could keep the remote and sell on the projector recouping most of your money!
See this one which is still very cheap- http://www.ebay.com/itm/EUR7914Z20-Remote-for-PT-AE900U-Panasonic-Projector-Working-Used-/171190987731?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item27dbc72bd3
post #3910 of 3926 Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Oh man thanks!

post #3911 of 3926 Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM

the "socket" was damaged when the lamp blew and melted the plug, fusing them together. After removing the lamp, I powered the projector back on curious what would happen. That same terrible smell happened. I suppose I'll take it apart to see if the assembly that is connected to the socket is visibly damaged. Any ideas as to how I should proceed. I hate to walk away from this projector, I loved it.
post #3912 of 3926 Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The factory lamps come with that whole plastic assembly. If the bulb is fused into that you can just get a new bulb assembly..
post #3913 of 3926 Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Just found a Z20 for $25 on ebay... hopefully it gives me what I need. Thanks!

post #3914 of 3926 Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Yes, I've purchased/replaced the lamp w/ housing several times. But in this instance, the lamp and housing got so hot it melted the electrical plug/socket. So, now any new replacement lamp w/housing I may get would have nothing to plug into - because that socket was destroyed/melted.
post #3915 of 3926 Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
wow, that sucks. It should have failed at the other connection point. That seems unlikely to be a replacement part. You could probably solder some wires on there and just use wire nuts to connect it.
post #3916 of 3926 Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Does suck. I've been keeping my eye out for projector on ebay for parts, but no luck yet. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to buy a no frills projector.... Thanks.
post #3917 of 3926 Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyspatz View Post

I believe the remote from the pt-ae900 is the same so you may have luck finding one of those, in fact you can pick up a working projector with remote off eBay for $200 so you could keep the remote and sell on the projector recouping most of your money!
See this one which is still very cheap- http://www.ebay.com/itm/EUR7914Z20-Remote-for-PT-AE900U-Panasonic-Projector-Working-Used-/171190987731?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item27dbc72bd3

So it came in last week and works like a champ!

Thanks so much Oakley

post #3918 of 3926 Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

Hey Huecodoc funny coincidence. I have had no problems with my 2000 since I have bought it new and do not overly use it. I tried to watch movie through my ps3 last night and the projector does not recognize any of the hdmi ports...they just blink on the blue screen.

It cant be the ps3 cause when I disconnect monitor hdmi from back of receiver than I can hear the sound from the ps3 that the dvd is loaded and playing. Where did you have to send it? I am past warranty and not looking forward to taking this beast down from the ceiling to have it looked at..really frustrating!!

I even called a couple of Panasonic repair places and they say there has been no issues with HDMI ports on the 2000 and one said "no way" its the ports of the Panni he says its my cable or receiver....I have infrared HDMI secured through rafters that have light indicators at both ends the illuminate that say the signal is good.

Sorry for the late (greater than 2 years) reply but I sent mine back to Panasonic. I'm not sure of total hours since but much more confidence-inspiring now after two repairs early on. I bought it in 2008 and returned it to Panasonic for repairs in 2009 and again in 2010, for what seemed like the same recurrent problem. Panasonic really deserves credit for doing me right and fixing it, because it had become a recurrent stressful, and potentially costly, issue.. I don't know what my setup or use pattern had to do with the problem, if anything. I have had it shut down again on me periodically, as if it overheated in the middle of a movie, but has performed (mostly) flawlessly since the 2010 repair.
post #3919 of 3926 Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 AM

Hello! I have had a PT-AE2000U since 2008 and it's been great. However, when I turned it on recently, there was a loud pop and smoke started coming out of the projector. I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. After waiting a while, I tried to remove the lamp housing (the lamp is an ET-LAE1000) but was unable to. I took off the top of the projector and discovered the lamp housing had exploded and that the power connector on the lamp itself had apparently fused to the power connector on the projector. The area smells burnt. Here are some pictures:

Here is where I believe the power connectors have been fused together:

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.9.32.0 0x0d9a3bc4

The lamp is no longer attached to the housing:

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.9.32.0 0x950315ca

Here are the remains of the lamp housing:

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.9.32.0 0x0bdf89a6

And a couple of stock photos of what the ET-LAE1000 looks like, for reference:

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.9.32.0 0x89f88f0a

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.9.32.0 0x506ee994

Any tips on where to go from here? I'd rather not have to get a new projector at the moment. I saw another thread on this forum from someone who I believe had a similar issue. If a part did need replacement, I think it would be this Panasonic TXANP03VKF5 Pc Board, though I'm not sure. 

What would be my best option? Is that the part I would need to replace in this instance, or is there a way to separate the fused power connectors (if that is the issue)? Thank you!

post #3920 of 3926 Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesARatliff View Post

Hello! I have had a PT-AE2000U since 2008 and it's been great. However, when I turned it on recently, there was a loud pop and smoke started coming out of the projector. I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. After waiting a while, I tried to remove the lamp housing (the lamp is an ET-LAE1000) but was unable to. I took off the top of the projector and discovered the lamp housing had exploded and that the power connector on the lamp itself had apparently fused to the power connector on the projector. The area smells burnt.

Any tips on where to go from here? I'd rather not have to get a new projector at the moment. I saw another thread on this forum from someone who I believe had a similar issue. If a part did need replacement, I think it would be this Panasonic TXANP03VKF5 Pc Board, though I'm not sure. 

What would be my best option? Is that the part I would need to replace in this instance, or is there a way to separate the fused power connectors (if that is the issue)? Thank you!

Wow, this seems to be becoming chronic - 5 instances of this same thing in the past few months. BTW good find on the board.

I assume this happened with a Panasonic OEM lamp? $241 for a replacement board seems a little steep but OEM parts usually are.

Have you considered Bohanna's suggestion of replacing the connectors?

I know you don't want to hear this but getting almost 6 years of service out of a projector (although I don't know how many hours) is pretty good. And personally I would be looking for a new projector given the cost of the replacement board and new lamp.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3921 of 3926 Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, I'm still on my original bulb, which has performed like a champ since July of 2008 and shows no obvious sign of dimming or any other problem, possibly because I run it on Eco with the fan on high - and the projector is mounted right-side up on a wireframe shelf with nothing above it, so heat can go directly up and away, not through the projector as it rises.

I just got my first onscreen prompt to change the bulb because I'm closing in on 2500 hours (the way it's mounted I can't see the indicator lamps on top unless I climb on a chair to look at them - and I haven't!). I don't use the projector every day - mainly to party with friends every week or so. When I listen to music, I control my disk player by viewing its menus on a small display on my coffee table. I have a replacement bulb ready for when I need it, but it seems like there's still plenty of life left in the original bulb.

How do I go about rolling back the counter on the bulb so I can keep running it without getting the on screen message to replace the bulb - or am I being foolish in doing so?

EDIT: Searched the manual, found and successfully followed the instructions to reset the lamp hours counter to zero.

The remaining question is whether I'm foolish to do this when I have a spare bulb on hand, or is the risk I'm running minimal, considering the way I use my projector?

post #3922 of 3926 Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

How do I go about rolling back the counter on the bulb so I can keep running it without getting the on screen message to replace the bulb - or am I being foolish in doing so?

EDIT: Searched the manual, found and successfully followed the instructions to reset the lamp hours counter to zero.

The remaining question is whether I'm foolish to do this when I have a spare bulb on hand, or is the risk I'm running minimal, considering the way I use my projector?

I know what you mean. Once you start getting the nag screen you just want to disable it. As long as you remember what your hours were when you reset the lamp counter I think you're good.

On Panasonic projectors there is a Unit History in the extended menu, you need the service manual to know the key sequence to enter.

There it keeps track of your total hours and resets which is separate from the lamp counter you normally see.

This is what it looks like on my Panasonic AR100U projector.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3923 of 3926 Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I know what you mean. Once you start getting the nag screen you just want to disable it. As long as you remember what your hours were when you reset the lamp counter I think you're good.

On Panasonic projectors there is a Unit History in the extended menu, you need the service manual to know the key sequence to enter.

There it keeps track of your total hours and resets which is separate from the lamp counter you normally see.

Thanks for this. I do have the Service Manual. I gather that on the 2000 you enter the Extended Option menu by using a key sequence while idling on the Cancel button of the Shutdown screen.

I would then select and hit enter on the Self Check item in the Ext Option screen, which would populate the data in the Self Check display. While I'm still on the original bulb, Total Time is equivalent to bulb run time.

I'm intrigued by the last two entries on the 2000's Self Check display:
"Lamp - Judgment for Cumulative Usage more than 2 000 h" (footnote: "Warning of the lamp cumulative usage time and shutdown use the conversion time for 165 W.)" [Anyone here understand that conversion time notation?]
and
"Lamp - Reset Frequency (0-255) of Cumulative Usage Time" No footnote for this one. I assume that means the total number of resets of the bulb life counter.

So if the Judgment entry says "OK" I can kept going - the only question is how often I should rerun this self-test to check on the bulb Judgment.

I've been using it for five and two-thirds years, and have gotten to 2350 hours - so I'm putting about 415 hours a year, or 35 hours a month (both numbers rounded up to integers), on the bulb.

I'll run a self-test monthly to keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help!

Tip: I ran Acrobat's built in OCR routine to make the whole manual searchable, as much of it is bit-map illustrations, including the Self-Test display page. OCR'ing it made easier to find things and copy and paste the text here.

-Phil

post #3924 of 3926 Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Well, I'm still on my original bulb, which has performed like a champ since July of 2008 and shows no obvious sign of dimming or any other problem, possibly because I run it on Eco with the fan on high - and the projector is mounted right-side up on a wireframe shelf with nothing above it, so heat can go directly up and away, not through the projector as it rises.

I just got my first onscreen prompt to change the bulb because I'm closing in on 2500 hours (the way it's mounted I can't see the indicator lamps on top unless I climb on a chair to look at them - and I haven't!). I don't use the projector every day - mainly to party with friends every week or so. When I listen to music, I control my disk player by viewing its menus on a small display on my coffee table. I have a replacement bulb ready for when I need it, but it seems like there's still plenty of life left in the original bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Quote:

Thanks for this. I do have the Service Manual. I gather that on the 2000 you enter the Extended Option menu by using a key sequence while idling on the Cancel button of the Shutdown screen.

I would then select and hit enter on the Self Check item in the Ext Option screen, which would populate the data in the Self Check display. While I'm still on the original bulb, Total Time is equivalent to bulb run time.

I'm intrigued by the last two entries on the 2000's Self Check display:
"Lamp - Judgment for Cumulative Usage more than 2 000 h" (footnote: "Warning of the lamp cumulative usage time and shutdown use the conversion time for 165 W.)" [Anyone here understand that conversion time notation?]
and
"Lamp - Reset Frequency (0-255) of Cumulative Usage Time" No footnote for this one. I assume that means the total number of resets of the bulb life counter.

So if the Judgment entry says "OK" I can kept going - the only question is how often I should rerun this self-test to check on the bulb Judgment.

I've been using it for five and two-thirds years, and have gotten to 2350 hours - so I'm putting about 415 hours a year, or 35 hours a month (both numbers rounded up to integers), on the bulb.

I'll run a self-test monthly to keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help!

Tip: I ran Acrobat's built in OCR routine to make the whole manual searchable, as much of it is bit-map illustrations, including the Self-Test display page. OCR'ing it made easier to find things and copy and paste the text here.

-Phil

I was in the same boat as you, a year ago. I reset my hour clock at 2430 hrs. and went ahead and replaced the bulb (I noted the hours of use, and will save it for an emergency bulb). Prior to replacement, however, I ran through my video calibration disc and found that I needed to make no compensation adjustments! The original bulb was still performing well! So, after replacing the bulb I ran through the video calibrations again, and only very minor adjustments (probably didn't need to make any). I too, run the PJ in Eco-Mode. I am still very pleased with this PJ!

I do not have a service manual, and would like to access the extended menus. Would you mind sharing the complete process? Or advise me as to where to get a service manual?

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #3925 of 3926 Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post

I was in the same boat as you, a year ago. I reset my hour clock at 2430 hrs. and went ahead and replaced the bulb (I noted the hours of use, and will save it for an emergency bulb). Prior to replacement, however, I ran through my video calibration disc and found that I needed to make no compensation adjustments! The original bulb was still performing well! So, after replacing the bulb I ran through the video calibrations again, and only very minor adjustments (probably didn't need to make any). I too, run the PJ in Eco-Mode. I am still very pleased with this PJ!

I do not have a service manual, and would like to access the extended menus. Would you mind sharing the complete process? Or advise me as to where to get a service manual?

You can get to the Extended Options menu by making like you're going to turn off the projector, but then moving the highlight from Ok to Cancel. While idling on Cancel, you'd press [Up], [Down], [Up], [Down] and then [Enter]. That will display the Extended Options menu, which you can exit from with the [Menu] button.

In this new menu, you can lock the fan to Full - though it's even noisier than High - and you can choose Self Check and press [Enter].

The Self-Check Display shows total runtime for the projector as well as the runtime since the last counter reset, the runtimes at the last two resets, and the total number of resets. (I described some of the other entries in my last post.) You exit the Self-Check display back to the Extended Options menu also with the [Menu] button.

The "Lamp - Judgment for Cumulative Usage more than 2000 h" is shown next to "2000H" - mine says OK.

post #3926 of 3926 Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:

You can get to the Extended Options menu by making like you're going to turn off the projector, but then moving the highlight from Ok to Cancel. While idling on Cancel, you'd press [Up], [Down], [Up], [Down] and then [Enter]. That will display the Extended Options menu, which you can exit from with the [Menu] button.

In this new menu, you can lock the fan to Full - though it's even noisier than High - and you can choose Self Check and press [Enter].

The Self-Check Display shows total runtime for the projector as well as the runtime since the last counter reset, the runtimes at the last two resets, and the total number of resets. (I described some of the other entries in my last post.) You exit the Self-Check display back to the Extended Options menu also with the [Menu] button.

The "Lamp - Judgment for Cumulative Usage more than 2000 h" is shown next to "2000H" - mine says OK.

Thank you for the info. I will give this a look later this week.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

(Arthur C. Clarke)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page