Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW! I have had this projector for 5 days already and it has been sitting in the box. I never opened it because my theater room is still not done, close, but not finished. I couldn't take the chance with all the dust. I could not take it anymore so I had to sneek a peak. I opened the box, and man was it bigger then I was expecting and what a very nice lens ...big it was. I set it up in the garage which has medium grey walls. the projector was set on a table. I am not sure what the gain would be on the walls but it would be less then any grey screen out there, although it is not flat paint it has some shine to it, so maybe not. There are no windows , so I had total light control. once I turned it on I played spidey 3 through PS3...WOW! It looked like I could step into the picture... no kidding! The picture was beautiful, not as brite as it could be, but again, it was not projected on a white wall or screen. I was very impressed. I sat there just looking at the picture with no sound. what motivation I have now!!! can't wait to get this on my 135" . If you are even considering getting this projector, what are you waiting for? Are you waiting for them to be sold out for the holiday season? Don't be left out, I was waiting, and waiting but decided I could not wait any longer for any other projectors, I am happy I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. again wow, I can't believe I picked this up under $3,000 . well, I hate winter time, but this year looks like it will be a good one. Hope it snows alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven lust View Post

WOW! I have had this projector for 5 days already and it has been sitting in the box. I never opened it because my theater room is still not done, close, but not finished. I couldn't take the chance with all the dust. I could not take it anymore so I had to sneek a peak. I opened the box, and man was it bigger then I was expecting and what a very nice lens ...big it was. I set it up in the garage which has medium grey walls. the projector was set on a table. I am not sure what the gain would be on the walls but it would be less then any grey screen out there, although it is not flat paint it has some shine to it, so maybe not. There are no windows , so I had total light control. once I turned it on I played spidey 3 through PS3...WOW! It looked like I could step into the picture... no kidding! The picture was beautiful, not as brite as it could be, but again, it was not projected on a white wall or screen. I was very impressed. I sat there just looking at the picture with no sound. what motivation I have now!!! can't wait to get this on my 135" . If you are even considering getting this projector, what are you waiting for? Are you waiting for them to be sold out for the holiday season? Don't be left out, I was waiting, and waiting but decided I could not wait any longer for any other projectors, I am happy I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. again wow, I can't believe I picked this up under $3,000 . well, I hate winter time, but this year looks like it will be a good one. Hope it snows alot!

Wow you sound like a very happy customer.Congrats I'am happy also,It does put out a great pic.
post #543 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Liked: 16
I get mine on Wednesday. Bought it from Projector People. Had them bench it first and check the convergence, uniformity and that digital clarity thingy. I'll test it against the ax100 on Saturday. YAY
post #544 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM

i just ordered the panny today, going to have to wait on a new dvd player, however i have an x box 360 with hd/dvd attachment, does anyone know if the x box will do 1080p/24fps for movies hooked up through component connections no hdmi on x box right ?
post #545 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy n la View Post

i just ordered the panny today, going to have to wait on a new dvd player, however i have an x box 360 with hd/dvd attachment, does anyone know if the x box will do 1080p/24fps for movies hooked up through component connections no hdmi on x box right ?

I dont believe the xbox supports 24fps. 1080P is only through HDMI for movies.
post #546 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Where did you hear that there was a problem? I dont see anyone saying it has that problem...

I have opened a thread on this. I can get a hand shake with my SONY , Blue ray player, but not the HD TOSH (A30 player). It will handshake via component on the TOSH, but not HDMI. I had same issue with an earlier PANNY 900. I even removed the HDMI (actually dvi swithcher, with HDMI adaptors on each end), and same issue. Blue ray, yes, HD, no . No pic that is, other than from component. I have a 40 foot run, and it is a high quality cable that has worked on all previous projectors including the other new 1080P unit I am evaluationg (SONY VW60, and don't PM on which one I am liking better at the moment, as till I am able to resolve the hand shake issues, I can't properly view the PANNY 2000 with the majority of my HD high def DVDS. ) I may try a diff switcher, ( a newer, actual HDMI, however, as already mentioned, a direct feed, by-passing the switcher, still won't yield a high def pic, via the digital connection)

CHEERS, TC
post #547 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had my usual friends over yesterday to watch the patriots and colts game in hd. This same group of about 5 guys is here alot watching sports and movies. I did not tell any of them about the new pj. It took less than one minute for them to comment how amazing the game looked and how they could almost reach into the screen and tough the players. They never really noticed the last few pj upgrades. This one however made quite an impact.

During halftime i put on king kong in hd 1080p. I showed the empire state building scene with kong and the planes. One of the guys left the room during the middle. Later he told me he has a fear of heights and it looked so real that he became ill.

The more content i watch the more impressed i am with this pj.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #548 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Wow you sound like a very happy customer.Congrats I'am happy also,It does put out a great pic.

Yes I am . I have been reading here on and off for the past 4yrs, watching my brother-in-laws projector in the meant time. I have so many hobbies and projects (mainly car stuff) that I always put it on the back burner. I wanted to have the right set up. well, after the sale of one of my loved cars I thought this was the time to get back into this. Many months of waiting and researching and now I am nearly done.
post #549 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Oh thats awesome, I can't wait to watch football on this and have friends over. I experienced the depth of the colors and picture quality of this projector today. It is very nice. I will have to watch king kong again now just to see that sceen.
post #550 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Just to clarify . . . there appears to be a "handshake" issue between the HD DVD players outputting 1080p/24 and the AE2000's ability to display that signal? Is that correct? Some are saying that it will display 1080p/60 but not 1080p/24.

Since I will be connecting this projector to my HD-A35 HD DVD player which outputs 1080p/24, I want to be sure I'm getting a projector that will display that. Am I out of luck with the Panasonic? I know that before the Panasonic was released there was some preliminary information about 1080p/24 problems. Is this it?

It seems that the problem is with some HD-XA2's. I contacted Toshiba and they told me that I wasn't the only person with this problem. According to some of the HD-DVD threads, Toshiba is working on a fix. I have my XA2 connected to my PT-AE2000 with hdmi via an onkyo receiver, I'll try hooking it up directly to the projector and see if that fixes the problem, as some have suggested it may also be a problem with receivers and/or switches.
post #551 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM

so no way to watch 1080/p 24fps movies on the x box period?
post #552 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

I get mine on Wednesday. Bought it from Projector People. Had them bench it first and check the convergence, uniformity and that digital clarity thingy. I'll test it against the ax100 on Saturday. YAY

Is that a service they provide for an extra cost? It sounds like a great idea. Are there any catches?
post #553 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Falejczyk View Post

Is that a service they provide for an extra cost? It sounds like a great idea. Are there any catches?

Mine was checked out and shipped today from them...no extra cost to me and no catch.

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #554 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven lust View Post

How far back are you with the 135"? I have an Epson 400 on a 125" @ 13'4" almost max zoomed. I would like to upgrade to a 135" @ this distance with the panny. Is this possible?
post #555 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard when Projector Reviews is supposed to get an AE2000 to review? I'd love to see his review before ordering.

Thanks,
Guy
post #556 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Sax
Advanced Member

Can anyone who has the AE2000U do me a favor,I know the panny is 18.1 inches wide. Can you tell me how wide apart the front legs are, I have a shelf that is 16.5 wide and would like to know if the front legs of the projector will sit on the shelf. Thanks.
post #557 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax View Post

Can anyone who has the AE2000U do me a favor,I know the panny is 18.1 inches wide. Can you tell me how wide apart the front legs are, I have a shelf that is 16.5 wide and would like to know if the front legs of the projector will sit on the shelf. Thanks.

My shelf if 17.5" and that just fits the legs so they don't extend over the sides. 16.5 is cutting it close, but it should work with 0.5" sticking out on each side. The legs should still be stable, since they are quite wide.

Carl Sundbom
New York Video Calibration
(646) 483-2419
http://www.ny-calibration.com
post #558 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Falejczyk View Post

They didn't charge for it. I asked if they would do it when I placed my order. Figured it would help avoid me having to return it if there were any issues. They were totally awesome about it and let me know what to expect. Really awesome service.

Elio
post #559 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash61 View Post

How far back are you with the 135"? I have an Epson 400 on a 125" @ 13'4" almost max zoomed. I would like to upgrade to a 135" @ this distance with the panny. Is this possible?

I am not really sure if it will at 13ft, so I do not want to give the wrong info by saying yes, if it will not. I was about 14-15ft back.
post #560 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Sax
Advanced Member

I was told by Projector Review, maybe in the next two weeks.
post #561 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Boy, its gonna be close! My projector is ceiling mounted and the mount prevents an absolutely precise measurement but as near as I could get the two feet, center to center, measure 16 1/4". The feet are round, about 1 1/4" in diameter, and the bottom isn't totally flat but has a slight crown in the middle. Hope this helps!

Dick Fogg
post #562 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Sax
Advanced Member

Thanks.
post #563 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM

As far as the 1080p/24 question, I just bought a Toshiba A35 and it is running to an Onkyo 805 via HDMI and then up to the Panny with a 20' HDMI cable. The Panny's menu shows it is receiving a 1080p/24 signal with both HD DVD and std. def. DVD, and while modest, the improvement in motion smoothness over 1080p/60 is noticeable on my 100" screen.
Plus, I finally got to see the "true HD" light on the Onkyo! (it's the little things.......)

Dick Fogg
post #564 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 07:27 PM

Ive had the ae2000u for three days now and have a few comments.

My biggest reasons for changing projectors were sde, iris noise and black level. The epson 400 throws a very nice picture and can get very bright if you need it to but you have to live with a less than accurate image. The epson iris is incredibly noisy and was a big distraction for me. I spent quite a bit of money on the audio side of my home theater and kind of look at it this way. If this same noise came out of my speakers anytime I wanted to watch video and the projector was completely silent would that be acceptable? Of course not. It has a noisy iris. Sde is the other issue that made me switch. I wasnt happy until I was past the 13 ft. mark with a 110" diag screen. I wanted a 1080p projector and didnt want to see visible pixle structure and I wanted a razer sharp picture. Brightness was my #3 priority and was the factor that made me choose the 400.

The ae2000u.

Well if like me you are going from a projector in the league of the epson 400 you will be pleasantly surprised by the difference in quality of image. I cannot hear the iris. I didnt put my ear up to the projector to listen for it as I dont usually listen to media there but I did listen for it from a few feet away could not hear it or see it. Sde is gone finally and with no hit in resolution. And then there is brightness. Using the epson in theater black 1 which is where I used it 90% of the time and comparing to the ae2000u using cinema 2 the brightness seemed equal. I dont have the means to measure these things accurately so these are just my opinions. This is perfect brightness "for me" with a 12' 3" throw at a 110" diag screen with 1.3 gain. The difference in the actual image is another story. The pany smokes the epson in quality of image. From black level to sharpness, color and depth you really cant compare the two. I know it isnt a level playing field givin the price difference but they arent all that far apart in price relatively speaking.

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm going to pull the curtains closed, have some ambiant light on and watch some football on my "white" screen. The epson has no trouble lighting up the screen in it's living room mode. Watching football or any sports for that matter is a different animal and brightness really trumps some other variables at least for me when watching in these conditions. But the color was so wacked it frustrated me. Being a Packer fan I can tell you that they dont wear neon yellow and goal posts dont glow. On the ae2000u switching to high lamp and going into the normal setting gave me nearly the brightness of the epson but with much more accurate color and an image that just looked really good. When going to the pany's dynamic mode you start to creep up on really really bright but you are going to obviosly sacrifice some picture quality. But I'll tell you honestly, for watching football during the day in a less than ideal projector enviorment it's not to bad. With no perspective and showing this kind of image to freinds and family, this is what gets people into this kind of bigger than life viewing and makes you the envy of those with small screens. I was always afraid to put the epson into it's brightest mode "dynamic" because it really looked bad even to a casual observer. With the ae2000 you can almost get away with it. Once again I'm talking about less than ideal conditions on a 110" white screen. Turn the lights out at night in this dark colored room, put the ae2000 in it's accurate color modes and you will also be pleased.

For me I needed a projector that could not only perform well in the right conditions but one that could perform well in conditions that make others fall apart. So I'd say I'm impressed.

Here are some things that could be better. Convergence is a bit off. I got lucky I think with my epson and had almost dead nuts convergence. I hope in the coming years they can tighten these things up as it seems like it's a crap shoot from unit to unit (I'd like to see more comment on how throw and lens shift affects this from unit to unit). I hate the remote control. Who cares really, it's definatelly not a deal breaker but it's ugly to me. The mounting holes are located in wacky positions and since I make my own mounts it makes adjustment a bit more difficult. I dont like a motorized focus and zoom. I like to be able to put my hands on the lens and focus manually. It is so new at this point I'm sure more negatives will pop up but for the most part theres not a lot to complain about.

Using ps3 as source played 1080p/24 perfectly. Sd I have no comment on as I really dont care. I use only hdmi input and no issues. Demo'd a lot of projectors over the last year in a variety of environments and am currently addicted to high quality video.

I started in front projection in 1995 with a zenith 7" crt (pro851, I was 27 and way cool) and went through many changes over the years. This has been the best one yet. All the important things are coming together at last, and most importantly....in my budget

Mike.
post #565 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 PM

The problem I am having with the PT-AE2000 showing 1080p/60 when I am sending a 1080p/24 signal from my HD-AX2 seems to be my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR803). The PT-AE2000 shows 1080p/24 when I bypass the receiver and run my HDMI cable strait to the projector. I don't know what that means for my receiver, upgrade? I hope not, I guess I'll try calling both Onkyo and Toshiba to see if I can get any more info on compatibility.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does any one know if this is something Toshiba can fix with Firmware?
post #566 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mikesnapp
I agree with your observations . I upgraded from the epson 810 and felt the same way about the bright modes. The panny really looks great in Normal mode with some light on on the room. I just changed the color temp a bit. The epson really has a noisy iris. ( i thought mine was the only one ). I agree with you on the power focus i would prefer the option to do it manually as well. I do however love the power zoom, I have been using it alot and sometimes it is nice to have a smaller image.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #567 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arefog View Post

As far as the 1080p/24 question, I just bought a Toshiba A35 and it is running to an Onkyo 805 via HDMI and then up to the Panny with a 20' HDMI cable. The Panny's menu shows it is receiving a 1080p/24 signal with both HD DVD and std. def. DVD, and while modest, the improvement in motion smoothness over 1080p/60 is noticeable on my 100" screen.
Plus, I finally got to see the "true HD" light on the Onkyo! (it's the little things.......)

Dick Fogg

Good news. I have an A35 and an Onkyo 605 receiver and I was worried that the Panny would not show 1080p/24, but it sound as if it's okay. That was one of my "musts" on my list and it looks like the Panny passes.
post #568 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan300 View Post

The problem I am having with the PT-AE2000 showing 1080p/60 when I am sending a 1080p/24 signal from my HD-AX2 seems to be my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR803). The PT-AE2000 shows 1080p/24 when I bypass the receiver and run my HDMI cable strait to the projector. I don't know what that means for my receiver, upgrade? I hope not, I guess I'll try calling both Onkyo and Toshiba to see if I can get any more info on compatibility.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does any one know if this is something Toshiba can fix with Firmware?

At least you narrowed down the problem and it's not the Panny -- which is good. I don't think a firmware update with the AX2 is the answer. The Onkyo probably needs to have if firmware update, if possible. Good luck on that. I don't know if that's possible.
post #569 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17

Here's the Panny and Pearl (VW50) side by side. The panny is not too pretty. If you have a dark room with dark ceilings, it should hide well. If not (like me) it will look like a receiver hanging from your ceiling. That is what my wife said.
post #570 of 3926 Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page