Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #811 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The rebate was built-in to the current price. Panasonic was forced to do a $1k rebate last year when Epson released their low cost 1080p option. I doubt Panasonic will go lower unless an equal or better performing unit undercuts them. I have a feeling that they did rebates over lowering the price based on their accounting practices.

Still debating if I should go Panny, wait for the new Epson or stay in the DLP camp with the new Benq offerings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse98 View Post

Wondering if AVS is selling AE2000, anybody got it from them ? I see most are coming from PP and VisualApex.

No, AVS is not carrying it. PP and VA are the 2 best places I know of, same price, free shipping, both with excellent customer service. I've purchased pjs from both.
post #813 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

The rebate was built-in to the current price. Panasonic was forced to do a $1k rebate last year when Epson released their low cost 1080p option. I doubt Panasonic will go lower unless an equal or better performing unit undercuts them. I have a feeling that they did rebates over lowering the price based on their accounting practices.

Still debating if I should go Panny, wait for the new Epson or stay in the DLP camp with the new Benq offerings?

What new Epson? I thought its the Home Cinema 1080?
post #814 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

No, AVS is not carrying it. PP and VA are the 2 best places I know of, same price, free shipping, both with excellent customer service. I've purchased pjs from both.

Bummer, while not questioning PP or VA excellent service, I do have a small "issue" with them allowing only 4 hours until 15% re-stocking fee kicks in -- coming from DLP camp I would like to spend a bit more time to play with settings and see several movies before jumping into LCD camp, I like AVS's 15 hours/30 days policy better .
post #815 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Sharpness is outstanding. Detail is really superb. Like I said, last night I did have the detail clarity on, but I didn't notice any artifacts. I will do more viewing to see how much it is affecting the image, but I don't see a downside right now to using it.

We watched some of Transformers on HD DVD. Whenever someone asks me what I think of that movie my response is always the same: "Megan Fox is so hot" lol.

But last night, when we were watching, my friend said, "Damn, look at her acne" and I'd never before been able to see the skin problems under her make up. Not in a home theather and not in the movie theater when I saw it. That is some real clarity (even if not a happy example, though her stomach looked better than ever! haha)

LOL... reminds me of the movie "Girl, Interrupted" with Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie... I have a Mits HC3000 and when Ryder is talking to the shrink I could see her acne on my 92" Wilsonart Designer White screen.
post #816 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

OK Im posting this post on my ae200u I love surfin 1080p 109"

So my xbox 360 via VGA set at 1080p is doing a weird thing...Making horizontal lines that are darker than the image...doing it on both games and HD DVD.
I am hoping to look back at the earlier xbox 360 issues but i figured I would throw this post up in the meantime. Any Ideas??

Now as far as my HTPC sending 1080p DVI to HDMI in, no issues and it looks KILLER.

I am having this exact same issue. VGA worked flawlessly with my AE900.

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #817 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

So my xbox 360 via VGA set at 1080p is doing a weird thing...Making horizontal bands (look like a dark tint)that are darker than the image and dont move whn paused...doing it on both games and HD DVD.
I am hoping to look back at the earlier xbox 360 issues but i figured I would throw this post up in the meantime. Any Ideas??

Now as far as my HTPC sending 1080p DVI to HDMI in, no issues and it looks KILLER.

When I do it at 720 its fine...HRMM!!! Anyone??
post #818 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodri02 View Post

What new Epson? I thought its the Home Cinema 1080?

They are coming out with the 1080 UB (for ultra black) unit based on the D7 panels. Intial word was this projector would launch under $3K like the AE2000U has, but that has now been debated since CEDIA when the anouncement was made.

Garry
post #819 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

This is going to be my first experience with a FP. I've been lurking around the boards for a few months now. Originally, I was leaning towards the sub-$2K 720p units, but when the 1080p prices started to drop, I figured I may as well go all the way. $3K was my limit (actually, my limit was $5K, the wife's was $3K!!!). I should have the projector on Monday. I'd post my reviews, but since I have no reference point, I might just keep quiet.

This forum has been very helpful.
post #820 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

So much for the claim by Panasonic when I visited them last month and I was told she and others in the lab played the Xbox 360 with VGA at all resolutions with no problems! Your AE900 might have that problem too. Did you send the AE900 a 1080p signal via VGA? The problem is only with 1080p, Microsoft sends the correct signal with 1280x720, but not with 1920x1080p.

I asked that same exact issue too! If the PT-AE2000u handled the Xbox 360's alternate reduced blanking of 1080p. The Xbox 360 doesn't output the Hblank signal, therefore at the end of each horizontal line drawn, the next line is immediately drawn. That's probably the problem, the projector is waiting for a no input signal of zero volts after each line drawn to let the projector know when to sync! Way to go Microsoft for NEVER going by any standards!

Do we think this will also happen with the HDMI output 360?
post #821 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I suppose I may have spent too much time talking about the noise, but that is a big issue for me, as it may be for others, so i thought it was worth it. In the end we both remarked how quiet it was. He had spent a lot of time watching the old projector as well.

The brightness is very nice. In fact, i wouldn't want it too much brighter for movie watching. I may, for sports, bump up the lamp to normal, but we did watch some espn with all of the room lights on (ceiling light and table light) and could watch without problems. Before that was impossible.

Its not a light cannon by any means, but it is very well suited for a small home theater.

But do you think that you will be happy with the brightness if the lamp output drops 40% before you need to replace it?

I'm considering getting a 106" high power screen for this very reason. I will also probably be throwing from 14' back, if I remember correctly.

Although I hear that high power screens are wonderful for the person in the best position, I would ideally want a screen around 1.4 gain in order to minimize the brightness falloff associated with the HP screens.

This will be my first projector, so I'm having to look at cost/benefit in all the different areas. The AE2000U is a no-brainer for me, but I need to make sure I continue to get the best bang for my buck as time passes.

Ideally, my screen would be closer to the projector, but my current apartment limits me to the longer throw. Maybe I should move when my lease comes up so that I can have a slightly less deep living room, or at least one that doesn't have 15' angled ceilings. Would it be bad to move to slightly increase lumens ?

Thoughts?
post #822 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

It should be just fine, from what I've read from others in this thread. The only problem is the projector might be thinking the color space is REC601 and not REC709 because the Xbox 360's HDMI sends out RGB. Also you'll need to set the levels setting option from Normal to Expanded.

Does any of this happen if I am taking the 360 through an upconverting receiver like the Denon 3808, first? If the Denon has automatic processing, which problems might I encounter?
post #823 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Also, this talk of misconvergence concerns me. If I wanted to test for convergence, would it be possible to test this with a computer hooked up to the AE2000U via a DVI to HDMI converter? or RGB?

Anyone know what the manufacturer spec for convergence is on this unit?
post #824 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

So my xbox 360 via VGA set at 1080p is doing a weird thing...Making horizontal bands (look like a dark tint)that are darker than the image and dont move whn paused...doing it on both games and HD DVD.

Check to see if there is a DOT CLOCK phase adjust in the Panasonic menu and try that if it exists.

ted
post #825 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldyrin View Post

Also, this talk of misconvergence concerns me. If I wanted to test for convergence, would it be possible to test this with a computer hooked up to the AE2000U via a DVI to HDMI converter? or RGB?

Anyone know what the manufacturer spec for convergence is on this unit?

The convergence on my AE2000u is excellent.
post #826 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Slightly different question for AE2000 owners: Does this projector have a blanking feature, that would allow me to keep the overscan set at 100%, yet still crop off the outer perimeter of the image?

My old Mitsu 5000 had this feature, my current Epson Powerlite 1080 does not.
post #827 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The pics are very impressive except for the CARS one. I like more color in the picture. More red maybe... Other than that the Pirates picture looks great. That may be the most impressive picture. Nice camera!

Thanks!!!!

Just so you know, we were wondering about the colors as well because of other screen shots I've seen so we switched the same frame to my stack and walla, still orange. The AE2000 actually has a red push out of the box.

Cliff
post #828 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer View Post

I'll second that question. How black is black compared to the stacK?

LOL, I really don't have to answer that do I??

It wasn't even close BUT, there is some decent ANSI on the Panny so it did well.

Cliff
post #829 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumpff View Post

These images look awesome cliffy... How far away was the projector from the screen and what is the gain on the SMX screen?

Thanks!!!! The projector was roughly where my stack is mounted so about 1.33 throw.

The SMX in my opinion is 1.0 gain. My guess (we couldn't measure, Ken wasn't here) is we hit about 8 foot lamberts with the Panny at 10ft wide.

Cliff
post #830 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroendless View Post

Iris movement is undetected. May be i need better scene for the test but so far so good.

Didn't we have a thread about why pick panny over sanyo somewhere. c4h mentioned sanyo is using 2 gen old iris and with no apparent iris improvement at all. That was my reason over sanyo.

When I had my 900 the only scene I saw the iris working was in Fifth Element,
Leeloo in Korben Dallas apartment, the shower scene when he is drying off Leeloo with the towel, as he rubs the towel up and down her arms, you can see the light flickering, light to darker very fast.
You owners might want to check it out.

Mike
post #831 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Xbox stuff:

Hey guys, i've read some of your comments and questions about the xbox, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I played with it some yesterday and can tell you about the HDMI.

There were no glaring problems using HDMI at 720p, 1080i or 1080P. Most of the time I left it at 1080P.

It was clear to me, though, that setting the "reference levels" (black level) to expanded resulted in crushed blacks. I dont know (because I don't have my HD calibration disk yet-should be on the way) if I just needed to recalibrate or not, but with the rgb levels set to limited (or normal on the xbox lol) the blacks were correct and there was more range.

i believe that this is/should be correct anyway.

The projector is expecting sRGB levels, which is what it gets from the xbox when the reference level is set to normal.

I didn't play with the VGA cable.
post #832 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:54 PM

My 7 year old Pany 701U died last week... it was on the 3rd bulb... so about 6000 hours of viewing... I've ordered the AE2000 after spending several hours reviewing what's out there. I was wowed in a showroom with the AE1000 but wanted to get a few more lumins.... I've got a 16:9 106" motorized tensioned screen that I installed in my basement home theatre 7 years ago when I finshed a home theatre. My speakers are all built "in wall" and already sound great. I've been using an older Onkyo reciever that has a "non-progressive scan DVD" built in. I went down to Circuit City today and bought the model 605 that delivers HDMI at 1080p and is "on sale" for the lowest price I've seen... if you order online and pick it up they add another 10% discount. So this evening, I'm overhauling the system and getting the receiver in place with an upcovert DVD player.

The old Pany was ceiling mounted 10'2" from the screen, with cabling through the ceiling. I'm now going to be running a 25ft HDMI 1.2 cable from the AE2000 to the new receiver (I'll have to run it on the outside of the ceiling for the time being until I can figure out how to fish it through the hole for the existing cabling). I have Sony Blue Ray drive on my notebook computer and will use that for a while. Anyone know if the 1.2 will be adequate to push the 1080p? I'll probably have to drill new holes in my existing mount to make it work... I'll know tomorrow when it arrives.

Thanks for all the posts.... I told the guy at Projector People when he called to confirm my order that this blog is selling a lot of Projectors.... he mentioned that they had the largest initial allocation of the AE 2000 in the country and they've been selling them like crazy. I understand that all the "West Coast" Pany Dealers were shut out of the first shipment and are hopping mad..... next deliveries to dealers will be about a week away and they'll be really short of the demand....
post #833 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM

W3bbY, I hear component cables do a much better job than VGA on the XBOX360
post #834 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

Xbox stuff:

Hey guys, i've read some of your comments and questions about the xbox, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I played with it some yesterday and can tell you about the HDMI.

There were no glaring problems using HDMI at 720p, 1080i or 1080P. Most of the time I left it at 1080P.

It was clear to me, though, that setting the "reference levels" (black level) to expanded resulted in crushed blacks. I dont know (because I don't have my HD calibration disk yet-should be on the way) if I just needed to recalibrate or not, but with the rgb levels set to limited (or normal on the xbox lol) the blacks were correct and there was more range.

i believe that this is/should be correct anyway.

The projector is expecting sRGB levels, which is what it gets from the xbox when the reference level is set to normal.

I didn't play with the VGA cable.

Did you try the HD DVD add on?

Lee
post #835 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotel96 View Post

W3bbY, I hear component cables do a much better job than VGA on the XBOX360

My main thing was getting 1080 out of the hd dvd add on
post #836 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy4040 View Post

Just replaced an AE900 with the AE2000. I've got a 16ft throw to a 1.3 gain, 103in diag. screen. Color and contrast are outstanding, though I'm not nearly sophisticated enough to be doing any measurements they look great to me. Brightness is definitely a step up and just fine for my purposes as I can completely control the light. Though at some point I may either replace the screen or move the projector closer to get even better since I generally like having some ambient light in the room.

However, the first thing I put up was a basketball game on ESPN (DirecTV HD). It was really bad. The artifacts and motion blur are terrible. I THINK it's just the compressed 720P signal from DTV and the junk just shows up much more dramatically on my much better projector. Is that a good assumption? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'll look at more stuff later but sports is a major draw and I sure hope this isn't something I'll be living with on Sunday....

dave

I was watching this game last night also on the 2000 and I did not have the motion blur you are speaking of. I know because I purposley watched this game to check out this very issue, I hate motion blur on LCD displays. I have Dish but that should not have made a difference I would not think.
post #837 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

I got mine yesterday from Projector People.

Elio

Me too!
post #838 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The pics are very impressive except for the CARS one. I like more color in the picture. More red maybe... Other than that the Pirates picture looks great. That may be the most impressive picture. Nice camera!

I was thinking that was my PC monitor. It looked orange instead of red.
post #839 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Anyone on the fence about buying this PJ, projector people has a 100% refund if the unit has less than four hours on the lamp and is returned second day shipping.

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that!!!
post #840 of 3934 Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Was wondering what I should pay for a ceiling mount for the AE2000? I need to bring it down about 14 to 18 inches. My dealer is quoting me a mount system for 440. Looking around that seems kinda high to me. What do you guys feel??

thanks for any input!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce