Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys think the AE2000 has enough power to give a good picture on a 123" FHG3 or should I play it safe and go with the 110? My throw will be about 13 to 14' with small amt of ambient light during day.

thanks for any info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Bump:

Slightly different question for AE2000 owners: Does this projector have a blanking feature, that would allow me to keep the overscan set at 100%, yet still crop off the outer perimeter of the image?

My old Mitsu 5000 had this feature, my current Epson Powerlite 1080 does not.
post #903 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostic View Post

Hi,

I actually own a BenQ 8700.
As it's getting old, i'm looking for a projector 1080p with a good sharpness.
As owner of both, can you tell me if the Panny gives more sharpness than the BenQ 8700 ?
Thanks.

It does indeed have significantly better sharpness. I notice it right away, as did two of my friends that are frequent visitors and viewers of my projector.
post #904 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post

Bump:

Slightly different question for AE2000 owners: Does this projector have a blanking feature, that would allow me to keep the overscan set at 100%, yet still crop off the outer perimeter of the image?

My old Mitsu 5000 had this feature, my current Epson Powerlite 1080 does not.

I didnt see blanking only overscan to crop all 4 sides evenly.
post #905 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

So for all of those contemplating goring from 720p to this I will give you my initial impressions having this and my 'old' (3 months old) Sony AVP-AW15 side by side. (I tried to take pictures but they all came out crappy!)

Now this 720p Sony is considered really 'sharp', has great colors and has really good black levels for an LCD. The only drawback of being so sharp is the visible picture structure. It is also 1100 lumens and is a bit dim for me on my 109" 1.3 gain screen.

My Initial impressions of the Panny VS the Sony was how it was as sharp with NO pixel structure (unless a foot away). The colors seemed better to me on the Panny and it was brighter (thank god!!) It had a 3 dimensional feel to it, even with the 720p/1080i HDTV stuff from FIOS. With my HD DVD player it was a real pleasure.

Bottom line, If you have things you don't like about your 720p and are letting them get in the way of enjoyment and you have the 2700 to spend and are interested in an upgrade, you will be VERY happy with your choice!

Even my wife noticed the difference and stopped giving me **** for the expense
post #906 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

You guys think the AE2000 has enough power to give a good picture on a 123" FHG3 or should I play it safe and go with the 110? My throw will be about 13 to 14' with small amt of ambient light during day.

thanks for any info!!

I've been running an AE900 on a 133" diagonal 1.0 gain screen, and while the light washes it out to some extent, I've always been able to watch it (but never for serious movie viewing). I can go from total darkness to lots of light (it's a basement theatre). Now if your light is going to shine directly on the screen, then you may not like the results, but I seriously doubt going from 123" to 110" is going to make a significant difference in that case.

So given the AE2000 (which I just ordered) is brighter than the AE900, I personally think it will work for you. My projector is about 14' back from the screen, inverse mounted at screen top height.

Cheers!

Garry
post #907 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've owned the HS51. There is no comparison. The chicken wire really distracts. The AE2000u shows what LCD technology can achieve.
post #908 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, after some more viewing a couple more thoughts, one pro and one con:

Bad news first: Convergence is not perfect. If you display a single white line across a black screen and walk up you can see that the red and green are off a bit. You need to be withing a foot at the most to even notice it. (106" screen). As soon as i got even a full step away from the screen it was impossible to see. That being said, its there. But its not a biggie to me as I cant see it from any of the seating positions (even the close one at the end of my "L' shaped couch) but it is annoying just knowing that its there.

Pros:
ZERO dead pixels-that is really nice. No hot spots. over 90% brightness uniformity.

No pixel structure at all. I know we all wonder about the smoothscreen, but let me tell you, when the screen is pure white and you see NO sde, it is such a blessing. Especially when it is also very very sharp.
post #909 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks Ken i did notice the picture not being perfectly straight on all sides i leveled it out and it seems to be much better.. With my 8 ft ceiling i think my wife would kill me if i put in on a pole, she already said it stood out like a sore thumb on our white ceilings.. one more thing ken do you think 14ft 7 in is ok i put it up by myself and thought i had it perfect but in my frustrated attempt to locate a stud i must have gone back a little, i was wanting to go 13.9 you think i should move it up? that is the distance the calulator says and still have some ambient light.... oh one more question do you think i should get a calibration disc? or is this unit good enough and should not mess with it... rookie avs'ers geez
post #910 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Grant

I was also impressed with the brightness and color uniformity of this machine.
post #911 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryM View Post

Hi Dave,

Congrats on your purchase. I too am looking to upgrade from my AE900 and am looking to hear more from other users who are doing so too. I'll be anxious to hear about your experience with the AE2000 as you get more familiar with it, especially as it relates to what you experienced on the AE900.

If you have the AE900 around and can do some A-B comparisons, one that I would be interested in is what I call the "shadow" test. That is where you display a 0 IRE field, and see how much of shadow there is when standing partially in front of the light path. It's silly and not really a test, but if the AE2000 has noticeable deeper blacks, you should be able to see less of a delta between your shadow and what the projector is outputting as 0 IRE with the AE2000 versus the AE900. Of course, I do assume that you have no other light in the room, and that 0 IRE there should be very little to no light reflected from the room back on the screen.

Cheers!

Garry, I saw that you've ordered one so I'll let you go ahead and do the A-B comparisons if you like. I was going to do so this weekend but there is just no reason. The AE2000 is so much better that I have no desire to fire up the AE900. I actually liked the AE900 (of course I upgraded to that from a 6 year old DLP that was very dim). It only has about 298 hours on it so if anyone is interested it's looking for a good home.

And for those of you worried about brightness, I know it's a subjective thing but I was watching basketball last nite on the 2000 and normal mode was TOO bright. Low lights were on in the back of the room where I sit and the projector is 16 ft from a 100in screen. Color1 was just fine.

dave
post #912 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

thanks for any info!!

You are pushing it, most you will get in color1 is 12fl and that is with a new lamp. 110' is almost 16fl much better.
post #913 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

A measurement of the native On/Off contrast ratio of the Panasonic AE2000U projector, has been finally posted.

I couldn't be more disaapointed :-(

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=42

According to this new info, I expect the Epson UB to be tremendously better than the AE2000 in terms of contrast and black levels.
post #914 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy n la View Post

Thanks Ken i did notice the picture not being perfectly straight on all sides i leveled it out and it seems to be much better.. With my 8 ft ceiling i think my wife would kill me if i put in on a pole, she already said it stood out like a sore thumb on our white ceilings.. one more thing ken do you think 14ft 7 in is ok i put it up by myself and thought i had it perfect but in my frustrated attempt to locate a stud i must have gone back a little, i was wanting to go 13.9 you think i should move it up? that is the distance the calulator says and still have some ambient light.... oh one more question do you think i should get a calibration disc? or is this unit good enough and should not mess with it... rookie avs'ers geez

If it's already mounted get your screen and see what it looks like. Mine is at 11.5' and I can get about 116" diag. If your ceiling joists are 24" you can move it to 12' 7" and pick up approx. 30 lumens, thats not much of a difference. 18" centers you can move it up 11' 7" and pick up a few more lumens. Fire up your projector on Color1 and switch between normal and eco thats about 70 lumen diffence and it' not all that noticable. I don't know if I would spend the time remounting, patching holes for a measly 30 lumens. Also further back you go you do pick up a little more contrast and slightly sharper picture.
post #915 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

A measurement of the native On/Off contrast ratio of the Panasonic AE2000U projector, has been finally posted.

According to this new info, I expect the Epson UB to be tremendously better than the AE2000 in terms of contrast and black levels.

That is an awful number. I thought contrast appeared closer to my 60, but I will have to re-watch. I am surprised at the low measurement though.
post #916 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow that sucks.... This and the post of the hand shadows on a 'black' screen does it in for me. It looks like a black screen will light up the room.

Bummer. I guess it's CRT for a few more years.
post #917 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is it bad? no light control and iris off?
post #918 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 AM

since I'm a newbie to this....

What would have been considered good news?
post #919 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

Dont get your panties in a bunch!! lol
PS the iris is there for a reason...to make the CR better...USE IT or spend 6 grand for the JVC.
The Epson will be using the Iris as well.

Look at the Panny..does it look dark? do the blacks look good for a LCD....to me yes.
Also for a guy who had a g90 stack to say he was interested in this PJ its gotta be pretty good.
post #920 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it bad? no light control and iris off?

There WAS light control. He said he just waited for it to be dark outside before taking the measurements. There was no light in the room, apart from what originated from the projector.

Regarding the iris, so that's it ?, the AE2000 just has better iris ?, Epson engineers said their D7 panel can make 4500:1 native On/Off !!! (with their Epson UB pj), assuming they talked about the best color modes, it is in a different league than the AE2000.
post #921 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Dont get your panties in a bunch!! lol PS the iris is there for a reason...to make the CR better...USE IT of spend 6grand for the JVC. Also the Epson will be using the Iris as well.
Look at it...does it look dark? do the blacks look good for a LCD....to me yes.
And to a dude who had a g90 stack to say he was interested in this PJ its gotta be pretty good.

Exactly.
post #922 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There WAS light control. He said he just waited for it to be dark outside before taking the measurements.

Regarding the iris, so that's it ?, the AE2000 just has better iris ?, Epson engeeners said their D7 panel can make 4500:1 native On/Off !!!

It clearly says no light control or maybe I am blind
post #923 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There WAS light control. He said he just waited for it to be dark outside before taking the measurements.

Regarding the iris, so that's it ?, the AE2000 just has better iris ?, Epson engeeners said their D7 panel can make 4500:1 native On/Off !!!

I would also take it with a tiny grain of salt.

The low number everyone is freaking out about is the color 1. No one said it would do 4500:1 with full calibration. that is probably the max.

The projector looks great. Thats all that really matters, isn't it? haha.

Also, cine4home measured it differently iirc
post #924 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

Epson engineers said their D7 panel can make 4500:1 native On/Off !!! (with their Epson UB pj), assuming they talked about the best color modes, it is in a different league than the AE2000.

PS they always say more then it is...havent you realized that yet?
post #925 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, cine4home measured it differently iirc

He never measured color1 or any of the cinemas.

Quote:

It clearly says no light control or maybe I am blind

Again, he had no light control, so he waited for it to be dark outside before taking measurements. There was no other light in the room apart from what originated from the AE2000 !!!

Quote:

Dont get your panties in a bunch!! lol PS the iris is there for a reason...to make the CR better...USE IT of spend 6grand for the JVC. Also the Epson will be using the Iris as well.

The iris improves the native On/Off CR. If you have better native On/Off CR, then the iris will take you further.
post #926 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

The iris improves the native On/Off CR. If you have better native On/Off CR, then the iris will take you further.

Have you seen the projector?? I have.
Its cr looks better then my last pj, the sony vpl-aw15 which was supposed to have great contrast...look at its reviews. You will be happy.
post #927 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is what the cine4home preview said:

The maximum contrast, the dynamic mode, in conjunction with the adaptive aperture. Here is the projector is extremely bright at the same time good black level, the factory indication of 16000:1 is exceeded, 18000:1 reached Pre-Productionsample. Also impressive is the contrast in native closed Aperture: With up to 3700:1 (depending on the zoom) exceeds the PT-AE2000 his predecessor once again, it has not promised too much. However, with this body be mentioned that these values are not accurate D65-Farbdarstellung achieved. Using the dynamic mode, then the image display markedly cooler. Once we have a serial device, we will further review tuning opportunities, we believe contrast values of over 4000:1 native and 20000:1 with adaptive aperture for realistic.

Enables one of the designated cinema modes (Cinema1 or Color1), the Pure color filters in the light position, and the color display optimized for increased contrast. The net values in the correct D65-Farbdarstellung have compared to the predecessor also increased, up to 2500:1 native (depending on the zoom) and 6800:1 when activated panel reached the PT-AE2000 now, it is also remarkable results for reference and so far an LCD projector.
post #928 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

GrantMeThePower,
Reading it again I was wrong to say Cine4home did not measure the color accurate mode. He actually measured it to be 2500:1, I guess with minimum zoom. Maybe the 1024:1 was got with maximum zoom ? (not that it matters, because most people will never opt for minumum zoom because of horrible light output).
post #929 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
You guys kill me.Someone post some no and you all freak.WTF.Wish I could play poker with you all.I be rich.
post #930 of 3926 Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

You guys kill me.Someone post some no and you all freak.WTF.Wish I could play poker with you all.I be rich.

Anytime my friend
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ce

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page