Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 739 Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

So with this replacement, did you get a new bulb as well? I am wondering if the flickering will start up again over time and that you will once again (I HOPE NOT) experience bulb flicker again.

I will be watching for your review back after your burn in time.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The replacement had 0 hours on it when I fired it up, so I assume the lamp is new as well.

My AX100 never suffered the flicker issue, even as I replaced the first lamp at 1800 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 739 Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Man, I was uber close to buying one of these before Xmas. I read the super review at PJ Central, etc., and thought "This is the one for me." Considering the prices vs. the available content, 720p seemed the right decision, rather than spending another $1k+ for 1080.

Now you guys have my finger frozen on the trigger. Obviously, none of us wants to regret getting this or any other product.

So, I'll keep the ol' digit locked for now to see how some of you fare with your replacement units.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #153 of 739 Old 12-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Liked: 11
I noticed on the ax100 the flicker went away in normal mode for me (360 hours on projector) my ax200 only has around 30 hours but does it seem to be the vote to run in normal mode from most people? (no flickering yet but want to avoid if possible)
post #154 of 739 Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Just to tempter the thread a little, its not like every unit flickers. I have been running mine in a mix of normal and eco mode and have never had any flicker issues. Keep in mind that most of the people who post on a thread about problems with the projector are people having problems with the projector.
post #155 of 739 Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I called Panasonic on Wednesday about the green/purple 1080p24 flashes. I got a call back on Thursday and was told to send it to Heartland. I spoke to Heartland about the problem with the green/purple 1080p24 flashes. I also told them about the UK site and that there was a fix for it. I'm going to send my ax-200u out after the holidays and see what happens. I also post this info on the owners thread.

post #156 of 739 Old 12-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Had an issue with mine last night. Turned it on, no picture. Power light came on with red blinking lamp light. I only have about 100 hours on this pj. Called Panasonic, they said sounds like I may have to send it back. I was told someone would call me on Wed., when they are open again for business.
post #157 of 739 Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukap44 View Post

Had an issue with mine last night. Turned it on, no picture. Power light came on with red blinking lamp light. I only have about 100 hours on this pj. Called Panasonic, they said sounds like I may have to send it back. I was told someone would call me on Wed., when they are open again for business.

I'd recycle using the power toggle switch on the rear. Flip it to "0" for 10 seconds or so, than flip back to "1" and power up the projector.

It sounds like your unit simply faulted out and shutdown, which these seem to do for just about any error. If you're experiencing an iris issue, the projector will begin to do exactly what you've described over and over again.

I'd fiddle with it a bit before sending it in to make sure a problem truly exists.
post #158 of 739 Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Thanks Toe_Cutter, for your suggestion. I tried unsuccessfully to do what you suggested a few times, before I even posted my issue. I really like this projector and think it is a good value for the money. However, I'm now thinking about selling this unit, once it's fixed. This issue has caused me to question the reliability and build quality of this pj.
post #159 of 739 Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 PM

I apologize for this long reply in advance, but you all seem to be the folks I'd like advice from before pulling the trigger on this purchase. After reading this thread, here is what I've absorbed.

- Although the Panny AX100/200 has a beautiful, BRIGHT picture, some units have inherent issues and it's quite possible to get a 'lemon' (flickering, etc.).

- There is little difference between the AX100 and the AX200 from a PQ perspective (subjective opinion I suppose) - Just an extra HDMI port on the 200.

As a creative media developer (HD Video & Interactive Computer Media), I planned to purchase this for portable use in customer conference rooms (presentations and my HDV video demos). Normal Data PJ's just don't have the contrast ratio I'm looking for and Theater PJ's don't have the brightness desired. This looks like a great alternative that might give me what I need. I won't use for more than 50 hours a year MAX (just trade shows and presentations) and can easily go a week here and there for necessary repairs.

I've found a new unit from a reputable Panny dealer for $995 (AX100 w/ free shipping) with an extended warranty up to 3 years ($189) and 5 years ($369). With the extended warranty, is this a relatively minimized risk for the PQ over a Data PJ? I'm asking the AX200 guys because I was considering that model as well, but the flickering issue doesn't seem to be better or worse on either the 100 or 200.

Here are the details of the EXTENDED WARRANTY plan.

There are warranties, and then there are warranties. The SAGEMAX Protection Plan, from NEW, is more than a repair service; it is peace of mind. The SAGEMAX Protection Plan covers your projector and projector equipment from failures due to normal wear-and-tear, defect in material and/or workmanship, mechanical and/or electrical breakdowns, power surges, as well as accidental damage from handling.

Other benefits include free 2-way shipping to the NEW service facilities, free 24/7 toll-free phone support, price protection, and zero out-of-pocket expenses.

Note! This warranty is not available to customers in Florida, Oklahoma, or with international sales.

Key Features

Free 2-Way Shipping

It's simple and easy: call NEW, get a call number, call UPS, and UPS will come to you to pick up the item.

Free 'Lemon' Protection

If your item is sent for repair three times, NEW will not attempt to fix it a fourth time; they will replace it!

Free In-House Repair Service

If the original manufacturer warranty covers in-house repair service, NEW will honor the in-house service for the 3-Year duration of this warranty.
post #160 of 739 Old 12-30-2007, 06:14 PM

150h only in eco mode and no "flicker" as described by TX_Joe
I didn't know the lens shift can be better on max down, in the manual they say that best picture in middle position. Can't wait until tomorrow to try. If the picture gets sharper then this unit is worth the price. I didn't blame halo on misconvergence.
Mine also has some banding, curiously I noticed it only after 50+ hours. I could swear it wasn't from the beginning. I still think about selling and switch to DLP. At least, rainbow eff is the only issue.

Happy new year everyone!
post #161 of 739 Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 PM

76 hours, (all normal mode) still no flickering, fingers crossed
post #162 of 739 Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJoe View Post

76 hours, (all normal mode) still no flickering, fingers crossed

Good to hear...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #163 of 739 Old 12-31-2007, 08:14 AM

I've had my AX200U for about a month now, and I have a problem and I'm not sure what the technical words are for it. Essentially, the top 1/8 of the screen has a blue/green hue to it and the bottom 1/8 of the screen has a orange/red hue. Is this something that's correctable or do I need to call for a replacement? Most of the time I don't notice it, but when playing Planet Earth with those snow scenes, it was awful.... Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff
post #164 of 739 Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyquist View Post

I've had my AX200U for about a month now, and I have a problem and I'm not sure what the technical words are for it. Essentially, the top 1/8 of the screen has a blue/green hue to it and the bottom 1/8 of the screen has a orange/red hue. Is this something that's correctable or do I need to call for a replacement? Most of the time I don't notice it, but when playing Planet Earth with those snow scenes, it was awful.... Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff

I have this same issue, only mine isn't quite as noticeable: I only perceive it on a totally white screen. Of course, I haven't fired up the Planet Earth blu-rays yet...

Anyway, I have the same hue cast towards blue on the top and towards red on the bottom. Jeff, I assume you also have your PJ inverted as well (i.e. ceiling mounted or equivalent)? It's more like a temperature shift towards a cooler white at the top to a warmer white at the bottom. I think this is a relatively common issue with a 3 LCD panel (a type of misconvergence).

It doesn't really bother me, like I said I only notice it under certain conditions, and even then it's more of something I know "isn't right" rather than hurting the image any. It's not something I'm willing to bother with the hassle sending in for repair.

Still, if anyone here has some ideas on tuning the temp controls or adjusting the panel settings, let us know!
post #165 of 739 Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
230 hours in eco mode. Picture just started flickering. I'll give it a little time to correct itself, picture has looked beautiful until now.
post #166 of 739 Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amisam View Post

AX200 Vertical Banding

Hello, I just got my Panny and set it up. Ceiling mounted, up and away from all sources of emf etc. I noted a uniform, solid blue Panasonic startup logo...no problems. Then with my laser leveler I started to get the picture straightened. I ran the TEST PATTERN. I noticed the background was a deep navy blue, but it had vertical banding of darker, almost blackish navy blue throughout the entire screen. I have yet to run my PS3 or Comcast HD DVR on it, and was wondering if anyone else thinks this should be of concern?

Just a followup, got everything hooked together and there is defininetly vertical banding, from one side to the next. Shows up on solid screens and movies that show big areas of solid, like watching the sky etc.
Also noticed a bit of color flicker as well. Not sure what that is, almost like the projector can't make up its mind.
Lastly, I took a picture of black print on a white background. As you can see, the blue and red lcd chips are out of alignment...there shouldn't be any bleed like this. Thoughts appreciated!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #167 of 739 Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

230 hours in eco mode. Picture just started flickering. I'll give it a little time to correct itself, picture has looked beautiful until now.

Man... that sucks, now I'm nervous again. I hate to say this but I doubt the flicker will go away once it starts, but who knows. If mine starts flickering again I'm going to do everything I can to get my money back. That being said; if it doesn't flicker, I'm 100% happy with the unit. Sure, it could be better, but then again I didn't buy a $15,000 unit; so I'm happy.
post #168 of 739 Old 01-01-2008, 04:30 PM

80 hrs on mine in eco mode with no problem so far. I wonder what percentage of units having problems we are talking about here. No doubt the AX200 is a big seller so maybe the percentage is small?

My "Suntheater" thread

post #169 of 739 Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyquist View Post

Jeff

I notice the same thing on mine...mine is ceiling mounted inverted. Its only really noticeable on a white screen. Don't remember it being like this on my ax100. I'll check the ax100 when it comes back from heartland...its getting the new iris.

Brendin
post #170 of 739 Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 AM

I have the PT-AE900U and it started flickering after 1.5 years at 875 hours. Sometimes when I turn it on I notice that it flickers like others have described here. It's really annoying and it doesn't seem to stop by itself. If i turn the projector off and back on again, the flickering usually stops (for now...).

A lot of people on the Dell forums seem to be having the same problem and they're fixing it by cleaning out the dust... here is the link.
http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...essage.id=2136
Could be a solution for those that are out of warranty...
post #171 of 739 Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I had both AE300 and AE500 , both started flickering at about 350-400 hours, so i switched to NORMAL lamp, it was minimal until i reached about 1200 hours on the AE500 then Normal was unwatchable..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #172 of 739 Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

I switched to normal mode and the projector is looking OK for now. The "flicker" I experienced isn't really flicker per se, it is a change in picture luminance that lasts for several seconds to several minutes. In other words, the picture will dim significantly for a minute or two, then jump back up, ad nauseum.
post #173 of 739 Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilboy View Post

I have this same issue, only mine isn't quite as noticeable: I only perceive it on a totally white screen. Of course, I haven't fired up the Planet Earth blu-rays yet...

Anyway, I have the same hue cast towards blue on the top and towards red on the bottom. Jeff, I assume you also have your PJ inverted as well (i.e. ceiling mounted or equivalent)? It's more like a temperature shift towards a cooler white at the top to a warmer white at the bottom. I think this is a relatively common issue with a 3 LCD panel (a type of misconvergence).

It doesn't really bother me, like I said I only notice it under certain conditions, and even then it's more of something I know "isn't right" rather than hurting the image any. It's not something I'm willing to bother with the hassle sending in for repair.

Still, if anyone here has some ideas on tuning the temp controls or adjusting the panel settings, let us know!

Indeed, my PJ is inverted, hence the same cool to warm transition as you are seeing. For me, I notice it on quite a bit of material, even if it isn't an all white screen.... and when IT IS all white, it's extremely annoying to me. When I said the upper and lower 1/8, that was probably conservative.. it bleeds enough that it could probably be construed as the upper 1/4 and lower 1/4... and the middle 50% is normal. I'd really like to know if there is some way to adjust the gamma or some other settings to make this go away.

I notice vertical banding as well, although that isn't nearly as annoying as the vertical temperature shifts.... I could live w/ the banding.
post #174 of 739 Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 PM

I am so close to getting this projector. Everything I read about it is positive, except for this forum. Now I understand that this is a forum specificallly tracking issues with the projector, and the actual percentage of problems may be small, but I don't know if I can take the chance.

I live in canada, and am pretty sure then as soon as it crosses the border, the warranty will be over. No 1 year, no 500 hours.

Now, I am no stranger to projectors, I started about 5 years ago with a nice hitachi unit, 4:3 aspect, ridiculously bad contrast ( black had a noticable green hue). We zoomed the heck out of the projector, with a 4:3 screen size of 160"+, (with image on the roof and floor), just so we could blow up the 16:9 movies. And you want to talk about screen door effect... pfff, spaces between pixels were like 1/4 of a pixel. It was crazy. Man this little guy put out the light though. (no contrast, but the brites were brite). And all of this was projected on a matte finish, very textured concrete wall.

2 years ago, we upgraded to the benQ 2240. DLP this time, because we wanted to get rid of the screen door. Turns out I am one of the people that is affected by the 'rainbow' effect. It is usually only a mild itch that I can deal with, even when there were panning shots of white spaceships in black space (think space move... from a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away), and the rainbowing is at it's worst( if rainbowing is at all a word), I could deal with it. I was just happy to see black, not dark green. As for picture quality, in the dark.. and I mean dark dark, the benQ was awesome, but if there was ambient light, then it was just a pale image on the wall (the hitachi handled itself a lot better in the light)

You may be asking yoursef, man, this guy sure can ramble, what's up. Well, it is time to upgrade again, and after doing a ton of research, this ax200u seems to be the answer to all my questions. But now I have 2 main concerns, and I will start with the minor one:

1: Image issues, with color misalignment that may or may not be fixed as part of the lens shift. (first, before i get into it, I don't want to offend anyone here, and the problems you are having, probably annoy the crap out of you to no end, and make you want to scream out loud, but I find that I am fairly forgiving in image sharpness, focus and color) From the pictures I have seen here in the forum, extremely zoomed in, with one of the colors, red I beleive, a little misaligned. Is this an extreme issue from regular seating distance? I have been using a projector as my only TV now for about 5 years. I used to watch regular, non-HD tv blown up to 110" (on the crappy textured concrete wall). When I am sitting 11.5 feet from my 120" widescreen image, still on the textured concrete wall (Curt, ( Curt is my name), Curt, it just may be time to get a screen). Oops sorry, derailed my thought there. When I am watching Spiderman from 11.5' away, is this color shift going to be noticable when all the action is going on, or is this more of a stationary, computer / data / powerpoint sort of issue?

2: (and this is the scary one for me) This screen flicker ( or more accurately, this dimming, then re-britening, and then re-dimming, and re-re-britening). If I am thinking correctly, is this the same sort of 'flicker' that you used to get from dubbing vhs movies? If you don't know what vhs is, i feel old. if you have never dubbed a vhs movie, the you are a better man / woman than I am. I am better now. No more piracy ( I mean I would, but you just lose way too much quality, and I like the complete original.) Anyway. Sorry again. This screen flicker, does anyone know the approximate percentage of machines that exhibit it?

Man, I want this projector, I just don't want to buy it twice. (once the first time, and twice to send it in to get the bulb changed on my own dime, (no warranty))

@TX Joe. You are my inspiration. Yours failed, and now you love it again. I want that,... but with out the failing thing, just the loving...

(sorry for the long post)
post #175 of 739 Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

(sorry for the long post)

I actually enjoyed your post.

There really isn't an issue with flickering in the grand scheme of things.

If you look in the owners thread, you'll see what I mean.

Same with the color misalignment, IMO. Too many PJ's sold and not enough of a complaint to make me worry about it. If you are sensitive/picky, maybe it may bother you. Only one way to really find out, eh? Buy from a dealer with a return policy to ease your fears and give it a go.

500+ hours on mine with nadda problemo.

The Truth IS out there!
post #176 of 739 Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Not sure if my initial problem was related to a bad lamp or not but, pp swapped my pj for a new one. I will defintely do business with them again!!!
post #177 of 739 Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like this flickering is common with Panasonic projectors since when I got my PT-AE900 people were talking about it a lot too. In my case with the AE900, I had the problem when it was new. Switching the lamp to Normal brightness resolved the problem. Switching it back to the low power mode would cause the problem to come back a few days later. I ran it on Normal for a few hundred hours, and now I can run it on low power again without flickering at all. It seems like maybe the heat from Normal mode has to expand some contacts for a while before it stays solid.
post #178 of 739 Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM

Hey guys,

So far I love my new Panny 200u but I have been seeing some green flashes when I watch HD-DVD content. Like in Transformers and such there are a couple points in the each of my several movies where the screen flickers green very quickly and then back to normal. Since it happens once or twice a movie it isn't killing me but it is a bummer. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Toshiba A30 connected via HDMI

Thanks
Todd
post #179 of 739 Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's the problem I'm having also. My pan is on it's way to Heartland for this problem. I think the problem is with a 1080p/24 source.

post #180 of 739 Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 AM

135 hours now (normal mode) still no flicker.

Keep in mind, in my case the flicker went away when they put a new bulb in it, which at this point tells me my bulb was faulty, not the unit itself. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.

This bulb has never been in eco mode.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page