Official Mitsubishi HC4900 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Official Mitsubishi HC4900 Owners Thread
bayn's Avatar bayn 04:54 PM 12-30-2007
I'm calling tomorrow to order mine
First projector... anyone got any first time tips?
I'm thinking of picking up the bulb warranty since I figure if I keep it past the 4 hrs (i'm sure I will) first projector and all means basically 24/7 use for a while

pdxjazz's Avatar pdxjazz 05:31 PM 12-30-2007
Is there anyone currently using an upconverting DVD player with the HC4900? Until the DVD wars are settled, I will be using a Toshiba SD-3750 which outputs either 480i or 480p. I have considered adding a UDVD player, but have to wonder if the deinterlacing and scaling in the projector would be better. Logically, the processing in a projector recently released for thousands of dollars should perform better than something like an OPPO selling for under $200, and much better than a sub $100 upconverting player. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
adude's Avatar adude 07:56 PM 12-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I noticed the manual says that you should turn on the PJ before the source, but that would be impractical for the HTPC. Thinking handshaking issues here.

The manual is correct. To avoid handshaking issues, its better to turn on the PJ first. Then the source will do proper handshaking because the display is already identified.

As far as the initial bootup of the HTPC is concerned, no handshaking happens there. Its simple analog signal. Handshaking happens when the graphics driver is loaded on the PC.
Matt Bergman's Avatar Matt Bergman 09:59 PM 12-30-2007
Considering upgrading to a HC4900 from my BenQ PE7700. I have a Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player that will not output 1080p. How is the deinterlacer on this? Could someone with a Toshiba HD DVD player with 1080p capabilities do a quick A / B test for me by changing your player to 1080i and let me know how it looks.
William L Carman's Avatar William L Carman 10:39 AM 12-31-2007
Well, I finally made my decision. I'm keeping the 4900. I believe it has a much sharper, more detailed image with high-def discs than my Panasonic 900. (I thought I would throw that out there just in case anyone else has a 900 and was considering moving up to 1080p with this projector.)

I can't believe how affordable this hobby/passion has become! In 2000 I bought my first digital projector, (a Sony 10-HT) for $6200! Then, a little over two years ago I bought my Panasonic 900 for about $2300. Now (assuming the $500 rebate) I am getting a 1080p projector for $1499! I think that this is amazing. This has to be the most bang for the buck deal out there.
ScottS's Avatar ScottS 11:28 AM 12-31-2007
William,

Can you post some comments on the alignment of the 3 LCD panels? How good is it?
go_broncos's Avatar go_broncos 01:26 PM 12-31-2007
excellent posts here. Thanks for all the info. I just bought one from projector people today. Having it delivered next week (as I move to my new house this weekend). Went with a 100" white VMAX2 screen from elite. Will let you know how it goes.
Robul's Avatar Robul 02:53 PM 12-31-2007
Well I got my 4900 on Friday.. Set it up with a ceiling mount and a 7 " pole.. i have a vaulted ceiling so I needed one that pivoted..

For now I am projecting the image on a beigish white wall.. With splatter texture on it.. Only set it up this way to experiment with what size I liked best.. I think I am going to go with 113-115" .. I set back about 12 feet and it looks great to me..

Out of the box I couldn't even read the menu.. With a little fumbling around I figured out how to get to to focus.. Changed that.. And the picture is great.. Standard def basketball I wasn't super impressed on foxsportssw but it was watchable..Defiantly a signal issue. The HD stuff Is amazing even at 720p.. Football looks unbelievably good at 720p..

I went ahead and ordered a new harmen karden receiver and surround sound as well as a PS3.. I figured I wanted blue ray so may as well play some games in high def as well.. I am really looking forward to watching planet earth at 1080p .

Now for the screen.. Well I am leaning towards an electric 113-115 " .. I am unsure what gain levels to go with or what color either.. (SCREEN NOOB) I am thinking a white 1.3 gain would be suitable for both daytime and nighttime viewing.. I tried it out this morning where the sun shines directly into the windows ( blinds closed ) and I still had no problem seeing the screen in low lamp mode.. Don't forget on a textured beigish wall..

I am defiantly keeping this pj and I look forward to many years of good USE! Thanks to everybody involved in this thread it helped push me over to the edge.
gottahavapj's Avatar gottahavapj 04:13 PM 12-31-2007
I just jumped on the bandwagon as well, Woo Hoo!!. Wanted to make sure I got the additional $100 off that Projector People listed as being just through today. Maybe it will still be there tomorrow, who knows? I almost ordered it around lunch time and they were listed as "In Stock". Now it shows as "usually ships within 1-2 days". That stinks a little as the free ground shipping thing only applies to orders for in stock merchandise. I got hit up for $17 shipping, no biggie. I also went for the Warrantech 3 year lamp warranty. I have had so many lamp problems in the last few years, I had to do it. Now to get some Monoprice or BJ cables and new mount on the way.

Thanks to all for the good feedback that pushed yet another one over the edge.

Happy New Year to all you good AVS'ers!
bayn's Avatar bayn 04:55 PM 12-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

Well, I finally made my decision. I'm keeping the 4900. I believe it has a much sharper, more detailed image with high-def discs than my Panasonic 900. (I thought I would throw that out there just in case anyone else has a 900 and was considering moving up to 1080p with this projector.)

I can't believe how affordable this hobby/passion has become! In 2000 I bought my first digital projector, (a Sony 10-HT) for $6200! Then, a little over two years ago I bought my Panasonic 900 for about $2300. Now (assuming the $500 rebate) I am getting a 1080p projector for $1499! I think that this is amazing. This has to be the most bang for the buck deal out there.


Make sure you call and talk to them, they put free shipping on for you and.... mine was cheaper than 1499 Orange sponsors rock!
adude's Avatar adude 04:58 PM 12-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Wanted to make sure I got the additional $100 off that Projector People listed as being just through today.

where is the additional $100 off listed? I did not see it at their site.
Chad T's Avatar Chad T 05:02 PM 12-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

where is the additional $100 off listed? I did not see it at their site.

Right on the HC4900 product page.
bayn's Avatar bayn 05:03 PM 12-31-2007
Check their page, it says "Coupon available" but I think most thought that was in reference to the rebate. If you call them, they auto apply it to your purchase and toss in free 3day shipping.
gottahavapj's Avatar gottahavapj 05:05 PM 12-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

where is the additional $100 off listed? I did not see it at their site.

Click on the "coupon available" ticket looking thing just to the right of the price on the HC4900 page. It will give you a coupon code to enter when checking out. Subtracted $100 off mine.
adude's Avatar adude 05:16 PM 12-31-2007
oh, I see it. Thanks.
gottahavapj's Avatar gottahavapj 08:56 AM 01-01-2008
Happy New Year 4900 owners and all AVS'ers!

I am hoping that someone could verify the accuracy of the Projector Central projection calculator. I have a support beam going across the family room that limits my throw distance. I plan to leave ~6-7" clearance from the back of the projector to the beam to accomodate those garden hose thick HDMI and DVI 25' cables from Monoprice, or Blue Jeans for that matter. This will give me a maximum throw distance of 9'4" give or take and inch. At that throw distance the PJC calculator says my maximum diagonal image is 90". I will be building a new AT screen and hanging it in the corner where my 4:3 screen currently is. I would rather not build a screen based on the absolute last inch that the calculator says I can get out of it, better to leave an inch or two for margin of error and zoom slop.

Could someone please test this by measuring their throw distance, zooming all the way out, measuring the diagonal of the image and then checking the calculator for accuracy? I'm hoping they are off (small) by a few inches. The largest screen my front wall can accomodate is 92" and that would be awesome.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could verify this for me. I will do good karma dances for you and your family for the rest of the week.
bacardi 151's Avatar bacardi 151 09:56 AM 01-01-2008
I think I may pull the trigger on this deal before it goes away at the end of this month. This would be my first PJ and replace my 720p Samsung Plasma, pending I can sell the plasma on craigslist first, lol. Messured the wall I'm forced to project on, the wall has a chair rail. I have 61" in height and 12' in width...Appears I can have upto a 120" 16:9 screen. The distance between the walls of where I want the screen and the PJ is 13', so assuming the PJ is a foot long, I'd have a 12' throw, correct? I have two large windows w/o light control, also a kitchen pass through. So with this mit PJ with a 12' throw, 120" screen with no light control, what type of screen you material/gain would you guys recommend?
gottahavapj's Avatar gottahavapj 10:04 AM 01-01-2008
Yep- I hear you and agree. I'm just hoping the calculator is off and that you could get 94-95" from 9'4" throw. Probably to much to ask though.

My other option would be to use right angle adapters on the hdmi, dvi to hdmi and component connections on the back of the projector. This would probably allow me to cut my back of projector to support beam distance down to ~3-4 inches. Then we start to get into the dilemma of am I to short on clearance for proper air flow around the projector. I'd also like to keep the number of connectors in a signal run down to a minimum.

Thanks...
Laserfan 11:03 AM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

The largest screen my front wall can accomodate is 92" and that would be awesome.

Well, it would be "OK" but not exactly "awesome"! Sorry... just reflecting on what the 4900 is capable of and a screen that small isn't taking advantage of the resolution.

At 92" that is a 6 2/3' wide screen--is your room that narrow? Re: pj mount are you sure there isn't another way to deal with the beam? Just pressing you cuz the 4900 is capable of great (and large) images so you should try to take advantage.

AFAICT the calculator (Pro version) is exactly right and you should trust the 90" calc, tho of course you can get to 92 just by backing-up a couple inches.
dolomyte3d69's Avatar dolomyte3d69 11:22 AM 01-01-2008
Got my HC4900 in yesterday which is replacing a Benq PE7700. The first thing I figured out is that it won't work with my existing mount. I ordered the Peerless PRS-KIT0811. Anyone using this mount and can confirm whether it works well? The 3 hole mounting configuration threw me for a loop. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing while I still have time to cancel my order. Thanks.
Robul's Avatar Robul 11:43 AM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Happy New Year 4900 owners and all AVS'ers!

I am hoping that someone could verify the accuracy of the Projector Central projection calculator. I have a support beam going across the family room that limits my throw distance. I plan to leave ~6-7" clearance from the back of the projector to the beam to accomodate those garden hose thick HDMI and DVI 25' cables from Monoprice, or Blue Jeans for that matter. This will give me a maximum throw distance of 9'4" give or take and inch. At that throw distance the PJC calculator says my maximum diagonal image is 90". I will be building a new AT screen and hanging it in the corner where my 4:3 screen currently is. I would rather not build a screen based on the absolute last inch that the calculator says I can get out of it, better to leave an inch or two for margin of error and zoom slop.

Could someone please test this by measuring their throw distance, zooming all the way out, measuring the diagonal of the image and then checking the calculator for accuracy? I'm hoping they are off (small) by a few inches. The largest screen my front wall can accomodate is 92" and that would be awesome.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could verify this for me. I will do good karma dances for you and your family for the rest of the week.


get to dancing.. I have a 12 foot throw and 100% maxed zoom I am at 115 inches.. The calculator says 116 inches so yes.. Its very close.. I am probably going to zoom it out a little bit and go with a 110-113 inch screen.. I really wish I had a little more throw distance to get up to a 120" but I will be content with 110-113..


Can anybody reccomend a calibration cd or the best way to insure I have this thing projecting the best possible image?

Thanks
reconlabtech's Avatar reconlabtech 11:44 AM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Well, it would be "OK" but not exactly "awesome"! Sorry... just reflecting on what the 4900 is capable of and a screen that small isn't taking advantage of the resolution.

At 92" that is a 6 2/3' wide screen--is your room that narrow? Re: pj mount are you sure there isn't another way to deal with the beam? Just pressing you cuz the 4900 is capable of great (and large) images so you should try to take advantage.

AFAICT the calculator (Pro version) is exactly right and you should trust the 90" calc, tho of course you can get to 92 just by backing-up a couple inches.

Hey mister MONSTER SCREEN - try not to rain on other people's parades.

A 90" screen is more than 4 times the screen real estate of your average flat panel and would be considered AWESOME by 99% of friends and family as well as any new PJ owner.

When he gets spoiled after awhile he will have a PJ that will let him go really big, as soon as he figures out which wall to knock down to make the room bigger.


Laserfan 11:55 AM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Hey mister MONSTER SCREEN - try not to rain on other people's parades.

Yeah, I know, in fact I've planned a 45x106 2.35 screen which for a 16:9 program is EXACTLY 92" diagonal (45x80) so I guess I sounded harsh, but didn't mean to be!

It's just that when I zoom a 'scope movie to 45x106 well THAT'S really cool!

But actually I was thinking for gottahavapj that since it's planned to be a, let's say, less flexible installation by virtue of the beam & wiring that maybe there's another way to skin the cat. One that would enable "future growth" perhaps!
RobZ's Avatar RobZ 12:18 PM 01-01-2008
I will be doing a comparison of the 4900 with my VW60 as soon as I receive it. I'm projecting onto a 119" Dalite High Power from 14 feet. I can give some input comparing it to the VW50 and AE200u as well. I'v owned both. Considering the VW60 is nearly 3x the price it's hard to justify comparing them.

This projector appears to be one of the greatest bang for the buck purchases I've made considering it's 1080p and has apparently great lens control features. Hopefully I can get decent blacks from it. Does it have only fixed iris settings or does it have a manual option? The VW60 has good blacks in Auto 1 but excellent blacks when manually choking down the iris.

Does the 4900 have sealed optics?
jmudrick's Avatar jmudrick 12:54 PM 01-01-2008
Mine's in the mail. Too good of a deal to pass up, and the $1400 price difference between that and the Epson 1080 UB will pay for a lot of DVD's.

Anyone had experience with the XA2's Enhanced Black setting or an ND filter on this projector?
gottahavapj's Avatar gottahavapj 01:25 PM 01-01-2008
Thanks for the feedback on the calculator and the screen suggestions.... I truly wish I could go bigger than 90-92" but that is it. This is a big "L" shaped family room and from the fireplace mantel to the side wall is 84". If I use all that and have a 1.5" black border around the screen- well there you have it. That's why the new screen I build to replace my 4:3 BO cloth one will need to be acoustically transparent with material from Seymour AV. Need to have some place to put the speakers.

Thanks for the tips. One bonus with a screen that size is it definitely will be bright.

Cheers!
gottahavapj's Avatar gottahavapj 02:38 PM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robul View Post

get to dancing..

Thanks! I will put in a good one for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robul View Post

Can anybody reccomend a calibration cd or the best way to insure I have this thing projecting the best possible image?

Good question. Does anyone here have any experience with the Avia II disk? I've heard (read) good things about the original Avia for basic tuning.

I have the original Digital Video Essentials, which was a real PITA to try to navigate the disk to just find the stupid test patterns. I wasn't the only one that felt this way either. I just now read some reviews of the new HD version of DVE at Amazon. I didn't think it was possible but it sounds like Joe Kane and the boys came out with an even worse excuse for a navigable tuning disk than the original. Amazing that gentlemen that smart can't figure out how to make a DVD you can actually use.
ForzaMilan's Avatar ForzaMilan 02:40 PM 01-01-2008
I found out that a certanin projector_place has the HC5000 for 2195 clams and I'm debating wether to keep my hc4900 that I ordered yesterday or step up to the HC5000.... does the HQV make that much of a diff? By the way the HC4900 will be replacing a panny AE700U so I know for a fact I would be totally pleased; however the naggin' question lingers.....HQV????

Help me if you can!!!!

Ed.
Laserfan 02:40 PM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Hopefully I can get decent blacks from it. Does it have only fixed iris settings or does it have a manual option? Does the 4900 have sealed optics?

You will get BETTER than "decent" blacks I think! It does have an "Open" iris option, dunno about sealed optics but I have never seen a complaint about the Mitsu design in this regard, vs. the Pannys that I was lusting after before this deal came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmudrick View Post

Anyone had experience with the XA2's Enhanced Black setting or an ND filter on this projector?

Ya know, I forget how my XA2 is set but it is certainly key that you get the black level right for BETTER than decent blacks. But along w/the XA2 settings, I noticed there are something like 3 places in the 4900 where one can alter black performance. Haven't experimented with these options yet--so far everything is in default mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

...wish I could go bigger than 90-92" but that is it... One bonus with a screen that size is it definitely will be bright.

Another benefit frankly is that you can "set & forget" your pj, unlike me who zooms from 45x80 to 45x106 and decided that SD DVDs are great at Your screen size; notso great zoomed-out to MONSTER!
Rich Kraus's Avatar Rich Kraus 02:57 PM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Thanks for the feedback on the calculator and the screen suggestions.... I truly wish I could go bigger than 90-92" but that is it. This is a big "L" shaped family room and from the fireplace mantel to the side wall is 84". If I use all that and have a 1.5" black border around the screen- well there you have it. That's why the new screen I build to replace my 4:3 BO cloth one will need to be acoustically transparent with material from Seymour AV. Need to have some place to put the speakers.

Thanks for the tips. One bonus with a screen that size is it definitely will be bright.

Cheers!

so, projected image at 3 feet is like 6 inches right? just hang a 6'X9" mirror where you were going to mount the PJ, and then mount the PJ 3 feet to the left shining into the mirror. kidding, but hey, where theres a will theres a way.

maybe cut a hole in something and let the PJ shine in from a distance

Assuming nothing changes between now and Friday, come paycheck I'm ordering so i can join the 4900 club.
Tags: Mitsubishi Hc4900 Lcd Projector 1080p
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop