Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 3714 Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidejim View Post

You've probably already tried this, but.......

Does routing the SAME signal source to a different TV or projector show the same anomaly?

I should have said "he", not you!

Thanks for the reply Jim,

They have a TV downstairs that's using the same source. It's only like a 24"-30" Plasma or LCD flat-screen. I'll ask, but I'm 90% sure this only happens on the projector.

Appreciate the input!!!

"If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3714 Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Liked: 10
Oh, one other thought! Does the projector have an "Overscan" setting? Sometimes this might affect the resultant picture. If it does, he might do well to experiment with the various percentages. I think, on my Mits 4900, I have it set around 95-97 percent, but haven't looked at that setting recently.
post #3693 of 3714 Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidejim View Post

Oh, one other thought! Does the projector have an "Overscan" setting? Sometimes this might affect the resultant picture. If it does, he might do well to experiment with the various percentages. I think, on my Mits 4900, I have it set around 95-97 percent, but haven't looked at that setting recently.

I'll forward this on to my bud...thanks again!!!

"If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
post #3694 of 3714 Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping to dig this thread out of the grave one more time for a little help. I purchased an HC4900 from ebay for about the cost of a lamp in hopes of fixing it, and using it, while saving about a thousand bucks. The issue is not new to this forum, the image displays a permanent green tint. I made sure no settings or sources were the cause before disassembling. I'm pretty sure I found the defective part.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

It is the Blue LCD Panel, the ribbon has a burned out wire. I'm having a tough time getting a hold of a replacement Blue LCD Panel. Any help would be appreciated!

The info I've gathered up is as follows:

Mitsubishi HC4900 Projector

Part from manufacturer: Epson D7 Panel with C2 Fine technology
Part #: L3C07U-75G00
Part s/n: 1-JE0859B7

Here's hoping someone out there can be my hero!
post #3695 of 3714 Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 AM

Couple of days ago, I got the message to replace the lamp. I am probably around 1200 hours or so in my lamp. Is this normal? Anyone know the lamp life? I don't see any difference in the PQ. Just the same as when it was new. Is there a way to reset the lamp without requiring a replacement and running it until it actually dies?
post #3696 of 3714 Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrider View Post

Couple of days ago, I got the message to replace the lamp. I am probably around 1200 hours or so in my lamp. Is this normal? Anyone know the lamp life? I don't see any difference in the PQ. Just the same as when it was new. Is there a way to reset the lamp without requiring a replacement and running it until it actually dies?

I don't know what that message looks like, but you should check for certain exactly how many hours it's logged.
post #3697 of 3714 Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
ibx

Pricing out replacement lamps...

I can spend $150 on a third party replacement lamp with 90-day manufacturers warranty

or

I can spend $315 on one from the manufacturer itself with a 90-day warranty.

Any advice on which may be the better course of action? What would the overall advantage be of going with the Mitsubishi package and it that benefit worth over twice the cost?
post #3698 of 3714 Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 AM

You can get generic lamps with generic housings but if you read up on non-OEM lamps it doesn't sound like a good idea. However, it seems like there are companies selling OEM lamps with generic housings for $145. I am planning on going this route myself.
post #3699 of 3714 Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

In another thread here it was suggested by member Bohanna to extend PJ life by increasing fan speed. Unfortunately the HC4900 does not appear to have a "high altitude" setting to do this easily, but I wonder if anyone here has a Service Manual, and/or has poked-around the service menus and found any fan speed controls therein?

My lamp is always set to Low, and my fan has never been audible in operation, so I feel I could bump-up the speed w/o affecting the movie experience.

TIA for any feedback on this.
post #3700 of 3714 Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Bittersweet, but I sold my HC4900 today. Was a rock solid projector and served up years of enjoyment. Still going strong and the new owner is going to enjoy it with his family.
post #3701 of 3714 Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Bittersweet, but I sold my HC4900 today. Was a rock solid projector and served up years of enjoyment. Still going strong and the new owner is going to enjoy it with his family.

What did you replace it with. I still have one hanging in my basement HT and it still looks great. I'm wondering if I can get much better PQ with something else or if I should just ride this out as long as it lasts.
post #3702 of 3714 Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Just last Saturday I replaced the original Lamp with about 7700 hours based on the number displayed on the menu. I set the lamp to standard and I think that the real hours used was about half. The original lamp was about 4 years and I reset the lamp timer once when it was 3900 hours displayed.

I brought a replacement lamp at $90 from eBay with 90-day warranty and also brough a one year warranty offered by Buyshield fpr $7. I kept my original lamp just in case that the new lamp fails and needs to be sent to BuySHield for warranty check.

As soon as I started PJ with the new lamp, I immediately shout out 'wwwwwoh...' becasue it is so much brighter than the original lamp with about 3900 hours. So I regret not replacing the lamp much earlier. I thought that as long as the lamp is working there is no need to change it. Now I know I was wrong. So for this lamp I will just replace it after one year of use. $97 for one year of enjoyment is fine with me.

I am happy again now just as I installed the 4900 four years ago. Now I know how much enjoyment I missed by using the original lamp too long. You don't know the difference until you compare.
post #3703 of 3714 Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdan View Post

I still have one hanging in my basement HT and it still looks great. I'm wondering if I can get much better PQ with something else or if I should just ride this out as long as it lasts.

I love my HC4900 and will likely replace the lamp when it fails-or-degrades i.e. I will keep it til it stops making great pictures.

When it craps-out, I will replace it with an LCOS or SXRD or some-such with better blacks. I might even do a 3d projector, who knows.

So unless you have $ burning a hole in your pocket, I say "ride it out"!
post #3704 of 3714 Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Anyone get a solid line at the top of the screen when playing a DVD that has a projector icon in it to the left?
post #3705 of 3714 Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM

Projector died today. Makes a clicking sound when trying to turn on the lamp and the lamp won't turn on. I called Mitsubishi support and they told me to send it in to get the lamp-strike ballast replaced.

Does anyone know the part number or where I can purchase this part. I am sure I can replace the ballast myself.

Cheers.
post #3706 of 3714 Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM

Sorry to hear.

Mine is still running strong!

Still has a great picture.
post #3707 of 3714 Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Follow-up to my dead projector issue:

Instead of having my projector repaired by ENCOMPASS - Mitsubishi is out of the projector business and has now out sourced all repairs - I asked tier 2 support if there was an alternative. Why? Well, I called ENCOMPASS for about 2 days and no one answered the phone. When I finally did get through, I was told that my call would be returned with an estimate if it was the ballast. No one ever returned the call. Suspicious, I made further enquiries (via google) and ENCOMPASS has very poor ratings. It looks like they are either incompetent or don't care or both. So, they won't be repairing my projector.

From the mitsubishi support web site of service locations: http://www.mitsubishi-presentations.com/service-center-locations/

I found a local repair place - official Mits service center - that will fix it for $250. It is the lamp-strike ballast - as was determined by Ron from tier 2 support at Mits (by the persistent clicking sound trying to strike an arc through the high-pressure and gas-filled bulb. NOTE: there is no filament in there.)

So far this projector has given us almost 6 years of great service and an absolutely stunning picture. If I can get another couple of years, then I would like the next projector to have a solid-state (LED, Laser or LED/Laser hybrid) light source. So far, this has proven illusive for projector manufacturers for home theater projectors. Data projectors have already made this leap into the future. But because the contrast is low and the colors are off, these solid-state light sources are inappropriate for the home theater.

If this problem happens to anyone else, then I would assume you would be able to get this fixed relatively easily. I hope to be back in business by the week-end.

Cheers.
post #3708 of 3714 Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck with the repair jsimone and thanks for posting to the level of detail that you did.

I too have not only enjoyed "almost 6 years of great service and an absolutely stunning picture" but I've done so without changing a lamp yet. I do wonder I suppose if there's any possibility that an old lamp might cause premature failure of the ballast. If you (or anyone) has an opinion about this by all means post about it.

I haven't looked to see how many hours are on my pj/first lamp but it's probably way low compared to others--we only watch movies and not a lot of those at that i.e. we can go weeks (or even months in the summer) without firing-up the PJ. I'm sure the lamp is dimmer than initially but gosh it still pops and we love it and like you jsimone I will try to hold out for the Next Big Thing and who knows maybe LED/Laser and 4K and 3D and whatever.

I've loved the HC4900, my first (and to-date only) real Home Theater projector. Sad to see Mits go away but then I'd probably have done JVC or Sony next anyway. smile.gif
post #3709 of 3714 Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 PM

I honestly don't think an old lamp will cause premature lamp ballast failure. All electrical components age. Heat, moisture and time take a toll on all electrical components - and projectors are notoriously hot devices. The heat and moisture cause dielectrics in the capacitors and inductors to just break down over time. It is just a matter of time before something will fail.

I figure it this way - you could buy a new projector every year but returns are diminishing after a certain point. A new projector brings with it its own issues. A DLP projector might give you rainbow problems. People who have recently purchased Epson projectors are complaining about premature lamp failure with only a 90 day lamp warranty. When the lamp fails after 90 days you are pretty much out of luck. Buy a cheap "OEM like" lamp and you might get a dim lamp or it may fail as well. A new projector may be louder as well. A new projector might not have the motor driven vertical/horizontal offset like the HC4900 - which I make use of. A new projector might not have a high quality glass lens like the HC4900. Why spend money for a marginally better picture?

So, I intend to ride this horse as long as I can and enjoy the ride along the way. The repair was only $250 which is about 1/4 of the price of a new HD projector I was looking at. At approximately 10 hours (give or take) a week of use - which is a couple of movies - I put on about 500 hours of lamp use a year - times 6 years of use - this puts me around 3000 hours more of less of low lamp bulb use. I am thinking I can squeeze out another 1000 or 2000 more hours of use hopefully before the bulb dies. By then we'll pop for a new bulb - more than likely. I'd like my next projector to be a 4k projector with a solid state lamp. Given that 4k projectors (the sony) are around $15k. I think we'll be waiting for 5 years or more before this drops to reasonable levels. The only reason I got the HC4900 was because Mitsubishi dropped the list price to around $2k (from around $4k), then offered the $500 rebate and most of us got an incredible "editors choice" projector for a couple of hundred over one thousand dollars. Which is a great deal.

On my 130 inch screen, I can truly say the HC4900 blows people away when then come to my house and see a high quality blu-ray movie. Especially when they are viewing a small 60 inch screen at home. If I redo my projector screen, I am thinking about going to 140 or 150 inches. The family is all for it.

Happy viewing!

Cheers.
post #3710 of 3714 Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Well I'm hoping somebody sees this since this thread has been dead for a while. I'm just now replacing my bulb in my hc4900, and I'm having a frustrating problem. When the lamp is plugged in, the housing will not slide into place. If I unplug the plug and move it off to the side, the housing slides in perfectly. Is the plug supposed to be loose? Most projectors I've seen has one end of the plug mounted and when sliding the housing into place, it snaps right in. When I took this housing out, the plug was free, so I just pulled the cord out and plugged it in to the one on the housing. When doing this it will not slide into place.mad.gif Please help! Thanks!confused.gif
post #3711 of 3714 Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Unfortunately, if it is not an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) bulb, the spec on the lamp holder may not be spot on. If it is off by a millimeter or so, then it may not fit properly. I read several posts over on Amazon where people complained the lamp they bought "would not fit".

I don't know what the solution is, unless you tinker with the lamp holder and the plug and try and "make it work".

Cheers.
post #3712 of 3714 Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 12
HC4000 owners, I have read how you can use the projector for a CIH setup. Can you guys confirm that the projector can scale 16:9 content to fill a 2.35:1 screen? In other words, it will stretch 16:9 content horizontally to fill a 2.35:1 screen with no overspill above and below the screen.

Thanks
post #3713 of 3714 Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yes, the Mitsubishi hc4000 can digitally re-scale the image to 16:9, but this is the wrong thread (this is the hc4900 thread, which is an LCD I Believe). I do not recall if it will horizontally stretch it (maybe), but that would look awkward I think, most people just live with the side bars while watching 16:9 on the 2.35 screen. So keep in mind it will overshoot the 2.35 image causing one black bar outside the projector screen (they all do this for the most part), and the 16:9 image will be centered inside the 2.35 screen (re-scaled but with black bars on the side).

I think the Mits hc7900 can also do it, and the hc7900 would be a better buy since it is more feature rich and has 3D. The Mits hc7900 is also sharper than the hc4000, though the hc4000 has better contrast.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3714 of 3714 Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Yes, the Mitsubishi hc4000 can digitally re-scale the image to 16:9, but this is the wrong thread (this is the hc4900 thread, which is an LCD I Believe). I do not recall if it will horizontally stretch it (maybe), but that would look awkward I think, most people just live with the side bars while watching 16:9 on the 2.35 screen. So keep in mind it will overshoot the 2.35 image causing one black bar outside the projector screen (they all do this for the most part), and the 16:9 image will be centered inside the 2.35 screen (re-scaled but with black bars on the side).

I think the Mits hc7900 can also do it, and the hc7900 would be a better buy since it is more feature rich and has 3D. The Mits hc7900 is also sharper than the hc4000, though the hc4000 has better contrast.

Thanks. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4900 Lcd Projector 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page