Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
zxkr8, do you have the 4900?

Quote:

I could have sworn you told me we were talking about contrast which all the reviewers said it was great. Nevermind, you also said you were done arguing..

They are related. Bright projector + poor contrast = bright blacks. Dim projector + poor contrast = darker blacks (but darker whites, too). Bright projector + good contrast = darker blacks (whites stay bright). Bright projector + excellent contrast = excellent blacks (RS-1).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skablaw View Post

It's also getting a little tiresome hearing the same "no-brainer" price being floated about by HC4900 proponents. Sure, there is one vendor through which you can achieve this oft-touted figure, but the next closest competitor comes in $200 higher, the next, $400, and beyond that virtually every retailer has it at price parity with the Epson Home Cinema 1080 and Sanyo PLV-Z2000, company with whom the Mitsubishi would be quite uncomfortable.

Who needs "every other" retailer when Projector People, a forum sponsor, has been price matching the authorized dealer quoted with the excellent price?

If this is true as has been told several times, that fact needs to be floated daily so that AVS forum readers can get a great deal from a great retailer.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ockevin View Post

As a potential 4900 buyer, I have watched this discussion for a while and believe you have hit upon my area of concern. Contrast ratio numbers are just that; numbers. I am more interested in what you see with your eyes.

DLP has a different look than LCD. I am a DLP owner (mits 3000) and last viewed DLP against LCD a couple of years ago. I found the LCD did lack the punch of DLP, and this is related to contrast. I found the adaptive iris didn't do it for me. But I am ready to give it another try.
This former DLP owner (Curttard) appears to not have found the answer with this pj. Do other former DLP owners agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

BTW, I guess I'm just too lazy to go back through this thread.. why is the HC4900 being compared to the Infocus 4805? What is so special about the 4805?

Forgive me Father(s?), for I have sinned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Nothing special, it's just the only other projector I have for comparison and what the 4900 was intended to replace. Please note that I'm not claiming the 4805 is superior to the 4900 overall by any stretch of the imagination (though it does seem to have better black level).

Both curttard and I happen to have 4805 InFocus DLPs and HC4900 Mitsubishi LCDs. That's pretty much why they're being mentioned so much.

We have the same PJs and even similar rooms, completely light controlled and decorated to enhance the projection experience. He likes the HC4900, but not enough to keep it compared to the 4805. I like the HC4900 a lot, and the 4805 much less so.

Here are some things that we have not discussed that might account for some of the difference: the screen we're using, the method and location of projector mounting, the room size and shape, and the source material.

As examples, my screen is a Da-Lite B 1.0 Matte White, the HC4900 is shelf mounted at the exact horizontal and vertical center of the screen (commonly called "dead normal") 14' 3" from the screen, the screen itself is mounted at 9' 6" high on a black fabric wall, and the ceilings are 12' 9" high. I'm certain curttard's set up is quite different; as such a 4805 and and HC4900 will appear differently to each of us.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

One person said it had better black levels than the 4900. Mind you a person that is not a reviewer with any equipment but his 140" screen and basement. He is getting all the criticism because everyone seems to disagree with him including all 3(!) professional reviews.

I haven't seen a 4805 so I honestly can't comment on the comparative performance either, but I have seen the HC4900, and I would agree with the varying reports that its black levels aren't particularly impressive. Unless there are other folks here who specifically possess this combination of projectors for side-by-side viewing, I can't think of a reason to doubt the poster's assertion. That doesn't mean someone shouldn't consider buying the Mitsubishi, but it is a point worth considering, don't you think?

If this were an automotive forum, we could say that the Range Rover is faster, more attractive, better handling, and more finely appointed than a Toyota Rav4. Would it be unreasonable to point out that the Rav4 is vastly superior in terms of reliability and quality control? It might offend some Range Rover owners who spent three times as much on their vehicle, but it wouldn't make the statement any less true. Likewise, that fact would not invalidate the long list of advantages the Range Rover possesses over the Rav4. It's merely a point of comparison.

I don't think its constructive making statements to the effect that the 4805 is a piece of junk. Remember, the thing everybody is so jazzed about with regards to the HC4900 is that it has such a great picture for the price, not that it is the greatest projector on the planet and should thus preclude anyone from spending a penny more for any other unit. The same is true of the 4805 (though you'd have to buy it used). It received very good reviews when it was introduced, and now it can be had for $400 in good shape. There are plenty of people in the over-$3,000 thread who would fall over laughing at the HC4900, so it's important to keep things in perspective.
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Both curttard and I happen to have 4805 InFocus DLPs and HC4900 Mitsubishi LCDs. That's pretty much why they're being mentioned so much.

We have the same PJs and even similar rooms, completely light controlled and decorated to enhance the projection experience. He likes the HC4900, but not enough to keep it compared to the 4805. I like the HC4900 a lot, and the 4805 much less so.

Here are some things that we have not discussed that might account for some of the difference: the screen we're using, the method and location of projector mounting, the room size and shape, and the source material.

As examples, my screen is a Da-Lite B 1.0 Matte White, the HC4900 is shelf mounted at the exact horizontal and vertical center of the screen (commonly called "dead normal") 14' 3" from the screen, the screen itself is mounted at 9' 6" high on a black fabric wall, and the ceilings are 12' 9" high. I'm certain curttard's set up is quite different; as such a 4805 and and HC4900 will appear differently to each of us.

He was projecting a zoomed out 2.35:1 image @ 140". Like I wrote a lot earlier in the thread, I think that is the culprit more than anything. I don;t own this projector but it will be at my house tomorrow. I will compare to the 4805 I have at work and then I will tell you what I think. I am hoping the 4900 is better in every way and according to all the sources, I think it will be.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I tested out Underworld (SD DVD) using the filter, no filter, as well as the 3.75% and 7.5% settings. The black level is about equal to what I got from the AE2000 only with the filter. Without the filter, the image appeared less dimensional, blacks more grey. Switching to 3.75% and 7.5% only seemed to crush blacks.

I was also concerned with RobZ's comments... he appears to have a lot of experience with other projectors (VW60 etc.)...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:

It does seem like a lot of nit-picking, but I think the crux of the nay-sayers' argument is that the HC4900 has only one advantage going for it - resolution.

If your screen size/seating distance inherently narrow the 720p 1080p gap, or if you aren't blown away by the difference even at distances where it becomes noticeable, it may behoove you to choose an equally or lower priced 720p projector that is stronger in other aspects of image quality.

It's also getting a little tiresome hearing the same "no-brainer" price being floated about by HC4900 proponents. Sure, there is one vendor through which you can achieve this oft-touted figure, but the next closest competitor comes in $200 higher, the next, $400, and beyond that virtually every retailer has it at price parity with the Epson Home Cinema 1080 and Sanyo PLV-Z2000, company with whom the Mitsubishi would be quite uncomfortable.

There's no harm in pointing out issues with the Mitsubishi. After all, the great things about its image will be taken for granted after a week of viewing, while its shortcomings will linger indefinitely in the mind of an uncertain buyer. Best to hash those out first so people can decide for themselves whether or not they're deal-breakers.

I have no problem with pointing out issues, if fact that is part of the owners thread. The problem I have is the second-guessing by those that have not seen the projector in comparison to their own. They in turn tend to sway others with their conjecture. My point is to see for yourself.

As for pricing: choose the lowest price.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Keep in mind that I am using a high power screen which is not optimal for black levels. I had a hard time with the AE2000u as well. That is considering the AE2000u was not very bright in it's optimal setting of Color 1. With the VW60 I felt I needed to use a cheked down fixed iris to get very good blacks. I did not like the black level with the Auto 1 setting.

HC4900 Pros:
Extremely sharp (almost too sharp)
Excellent colors when dialed in
Very bright for sports, etc
no color uniformity issues (like VW50)
no bright corners (like RS1, VW50, VW60)
excellent lens control for CIH, etc.
attractive projector
extremely quiet
good (not class leading) contrast with very good pop
excellent three dimensionality (try swamp scene in King Kong)
cost

HC4900 Cons:
no p24
slight image noise present with HDMI
black not as good as the higher priced competition, much improved when lumens are decreased
maybe too bright (would be fine with an adjustable fixed iris)
pixels more visible than most 1080p at very close distance
possible issues with dust blobs (5000's history)
doesn't have the same tweakability (iris, colors, etc) as the higher priced VW60 but what do you expect for $1400!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88

RobZ, nice job with that ET Poster, I have the same one but not displayed beautifully as yours is...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Who needs "every other" retailer when Projector People, a forum sponsor, has been price matching the authorized dealer quoted with the excellent price?

If this is true as has been told several times, that fact needs to be floated daily so that AVS forum readers can get a great deal from a great retailer.

Well I guess the other forum sponsors can go to hell then because they don't deserve our business if they don't agree to match dime-for-dime the lowest possible price, right? Visual Apex is a bunch of clowns and we shouldn't dare buy from them because after rebate, we'll have to shell out a few hundred dollars more for the HC4900, is that it?

Get real, buddy. People buy from different vendors for a lot of reasons, and some people would rather purchase a projector from a local brick-and-mortar store, bypassing the bargain-basement world of internet retailers altogether, because they appreciate being able to drive 10 minutes for an exchange or service rather than wait two-weeks for turn-around shipping.

Projector People has an incredible deal going on right now and if you want to buy an HC4900 today, they're a great vendor to go through, but this homer attitude about projectors isn't especially helpful for people who are trying to make an informed decision.

I want to be clear that I actually wanted very much to buy the HC4900, and would have, if I could have afforded another $500 when I bought my Epson Home Cinema 720 for $1,000. Putting an extra $1,000 on the table and waiting for the rebate wasn't a realistic proposition given some recent car troubles, but if I could've swung it, I would have in a heart beat. I think it is a great piece of equipment, but I also think there are other great pieces of equipment!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

RobZ, nice job with that ET Poster, I have the same one but not displayed beautifully as yours is...

Thanks! That reminds me, I cant wait for ET on BR.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

He was projecting a zoomed out 2.35:1 image @ 140". Like I wrote a lot earlier in the thread, I think that is the culprit more than anything. .

Yes, that's the culprit, even though it is the exact opposite of reality. The bigger the image, the dimmer the image; the dimmer the image, the better the blacks.

Putting aside zxlr8, let me say this to the non-weirdos-with-personal-agendas here: By no means am I saying the 4805 is "better" than the 4900. What I was hoping for with the 4900 was that this would be a projector I would be completely satisfied with for the next several years. I am not one of those who buys the latest and greatest every year; and a great picture from a projector that maxes out the resolution available to us for the forseeable future would be something I would not feel any inclination to upgrade until it stopped working.

The disappointing black level, however, means that I *would* be looking to upgrade from the 4900, so $1400, while an excellent price for a great product, is still too much for what would essentially be a "stopgap" for me until something better comes along.

By the way, I have no complaints on pixel visibility whatsoever at 140" from 12ft away and the picture does not lack "punch" at all, except in dark scenes (both with and without iris enabled).
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Question for other 4900 owners: when you have a dark scene or image (paused), are you seeing a change in light output when switching iris modes or switching to iris off?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Isn't there less 'loss' involved with this PJ at $1400 (sale price and rebate factored in)compared to another 1080p at twice to three times it's cost? I would think that most would be able to recoup at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the 4900's price a year from now, if not two years from now.
Like you, my 'thought' was to buy this PJ for now and then upgrade to a 1080p 3 Chip DLP when the prices drop (or maybe even a laser or LED PJ) in three to four years.
I'll certainly lose alot less with this PJ versus my original plan of the Sony Black Pearl or JVC RS1 when it comes time to upgrade.
Now, I won't spending 10 to 12 hours a day watching this PJ either, more like 10 to 12 hours per week, so moderate contrast ratios won't be bothering me that much. I'm certain I'll be ectatic about its picture when compared to my current 65" Sony RPTV for a long time to come!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Question for other 4900 owners: when you have a dark scene or image (paused), are you seeing a change in light output when switching iris modes or switching to iris off?

I'm not an owner, but I demoed the HC4900 along with three other projectors for a few hours. I did see a change in black level when the iris was on or off. It doesn't seem like a whole ton when you're just looking at black, but if you think about the impact its having with regards to colors and other shades of gray, its worth keeping on (I don't know if you were driving at "should I leave it on or turn it off").

The iris definitely helps, and it isn't intrusive at all. I've read reviews of other projectors (not the HC4900) where it was said that the iris operation was very noticeable and distracting, but of all the projectors I've seen with a dynamic iris, I can never remember noticing it at work when actually watching something. If you open and close menus on a black screen, yeah, you can see a change in brightness, but you'd rarely have an image like that in real programming.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason for my asking is I could not see an automatic change in a paused mixed dark scene. I'm assuming then that the iris will remain in it's position until the film plays. (?)
Old 01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

No.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:

The reason for my asking is I could not see an automatic change in a paused mixed dark scene. I'm assuming then that the iris will remain in it's position until the film plays. (?)

Hmm, how interesting. Does the light change when you open a menu?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM

A quick question for those who have ordered from Projector People and to help some fellow AVSers here in Canada. According to the Mistubishi rebate form, the following three items are required:

-Signed End-User Mail-In Offer Form
-End-User Invoice dated within Promotional Period
-UPC Bar Code starting with 0824 Cut from Box

Since this offer seems to be only available in the US, I wanted to know if the Projector People invoice included the billing and shipping addresses? If not, I could order this straight to my home without first having to send it to a friend in the US and only have the rebate cheque sent to them.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, how interesting. Does the light change when you open a menu?

I've never used it in a restaurant.

I'll check tonight.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I've never used it in a restaurant.

If you ever do, I find it pairs wonderfully with an impudent Pinot Noir.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post

Isn't there less 'loss' involved with this PJ at $1400 (sale price and rebate factored in)compared to another 1080p at twice to three times it's cost? I would think that most would be able to recoup at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the 4900's price a year from now, if not two years from now.
Like you, my 'thought' was to buy this PJ for now and then upgrade to a 1080p 3 Chip DLP when the prices drop (or maybe even a laser or LED PJ) in three to four years.
I'll certainly lose alot less with this PJ versus my original plan of the Sony Black Pearl or JVC RS1 when it comes time to upgrade.
Now, I won't spending 10 to 12 hours a day watching this PJ either, more like 10 to 12 hours per week, so moderate contrast ratios won't be bothering me that much. I'm certain I'll be ectatic about its picture when compared to my current 65" Sony RPTV for a long time to come!

From a financial perspective, if you consider the hc4900 depreciates 1/2 the purchase price (for example) in 4 years, you have lost $700. If the JVC does the same, you have lost $2,750. Keep in mind allot of the AVS forum members are true videophiles and turn over projectors frequently, thus minimizing their losses (the kink in that is the downward pressure on prices is making this harder to do). For longer-term ownership, I think you made the right decision if you are satisfied with the performance of the hc4900.

Regarding the 65" RPTV, we just spent the holiday watching bowl games with some friends with the same size 1080p TV. It was a nice, big TV experience. Over the weekend we fired up the hc4900 with a 90" screen. It was a real theater experience. You will love it!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I'm not an owner, but I demoed the HC4900 along with three other projectors for a few hours. I did see a change in black level when the iris was on or off. It doesn't seem like a whole ton when you're just looking at black, but if you think about the impact its having with regards to colors and other shades of gray, its worth keeping on (I don't know if you were driving at "should I leave it on or turn it off").

The iris definitely helps, and it isn't intrusive at all. I've read reviews of other projectors (not the HC4900) where it was said that the iris operation was very noticeable and distracting, but of all the projectors I've seen with a dynamic iris, I can never remember noticing it at work when actually watching something. If you open and close menus on a black screen, yeah, you can see a change in brightness, but you'd rarely have an image like that in real programming.

Yeah, I read that too so I really watched for it and did not notice it at all. Maybe they are more sensitive to it considering they spend more time looking for flaws, while we actually enjoy the film. I can't say it was distracting, or even noticable to me.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you ever do, I find it pairs wonderfully with an impudent Pinot Noir.

More like Busch beer!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good discussion...

In some ways, this 4900 probably is a 'stop gap' unit for some. As Rob has pointed out, this one does lack the 1080p24 feature. Not nessarily a deal breaker but for those of us who have HD DVD & Blu-ray players capable of such output....that is kind of unfortunate. I also realize alot of online reviews say this setting is very slight if any improvement? that could be related to one's hardware, signal chain etc....

The other issue that has kept me from clicking the 'submit' order form is indeed one of Rob's posts. Sorry Rob for picking on you. Comparing it the Panny 2000, only with the filter did it achieve black levels close to the Panny. And to be fair, trusty old Rob also says that the difference is not worth the $1300 difference.

I also agree with another post & I can't recall his name about how alot of us do seem to 'upgrade' our pjs every 2 years. That seems about right for me. If I do indeed buy the 4900 it will be my 4th projector since 2003. So actually I have changed more than that. I have issues.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Oh...regarding the iris.... can this be turned off if we can notice this working during a film. I am kind of anal and the thought of noticing sudden light changes in the image will send me back to my pharmacist for a Prozac.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post

old Rob

Hey!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post

Comparing it the Panny 2000, only with the filter did it achieve black levels close to the Panny.

I hate to keep pushing the ND filter thing as if I have stock in Tiffen or Hoya but here it goes:

Based upon Art's reviews at ProjectorReviews.com:

AE2000u Cinema 1 normal(high) lamp produced 388 (first review) and 402 lumens (second review)

HC4900 Cinema mode normal (high) lamp produced 688 lumens

According to Art's measurement, the eco mode (low lamp) only cut light output by approximately 17%. This means, a new lamp in low lamp mode is likely around 500-570 lumens. Much brighter (around 30%) than the AE2000u in high lamp mode.

FYI, he measured the VW60, in optimal settings, at 493 lumens (normal lamp) and 329 lumens (eco lamp).

Adding the ND filter creates a level playing field. It effectively would cut the lumens of the 4900 to roughly that of the AE2000u.

Here's some info on Neutral Density filters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

I wanted to know if the Projector People invoice included the billing and shipping addresses?

Yes, and both with Name also.

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4900 Lcd Projector 1080p