Old 12-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenned70 View Post

Do you agree that the Optoma HD70 would be a good enough cause to upgrade to this model ? I'm still debating and this thread is clearly full of mitsu owners......ironic seeing that's a mitsu thread....hmm

I've never seen the HD70 in action but my impression has been that it's in a similar league to the HD1000u/1500u.

It's hard to say whether or not it's a big enough upgrade...I'm having trouble with that myself. It comes down to the old cost/benefit analysis, especially when you have alternatives out there in projectors like the HC3000U and Sharp DT-500 which can provide superior blacks at a price that's significantly less than the 4900 (especially on ebay/videogon, where you can often find those two at under 7-800 with low hours) to use as high quality holdovers until the real quality low priced 1080p's come out in the next few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 03:32 PM

Liked: 10
Save your money everyone! I'm on my second HC4900 and it's voltage tolerances are set way to low. Sometimes it won't turn on for you. If your voltage/power is not maintained at 119V or more, then the 4900 will not turn on. That is rediculous! Everyone's power fluctuates between 120V and 115 V and the 4900 cannot handle any fluctuations in power.
If you are running your furnace, AC, stove, clothes washer, or any other electrical components, then the 4900 will not lite the bulb.
This is a POS projector!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm running a firehawk with the 4900. Certainly, every pj has its drawbacks and I have not done anything to tweak the machine other than the putting the settings that were posted on post #1 or 2. These settings were reccomended for the 5000.

Thus far, I can say that for the price it is an excellent machine. The contrast is better than expected and 1080p from where I sit, 12' back on a 100" 16:9 screen is noticeable. To my eyes, the 1080p has a bit more pop and more saturated colors. The blacks are decent but short of mind boggling if you are highly contrast sensitive.

My room does have light ceilings but the screen wall is black and there is a shelf protruding over the screen that is 12" that is also black and helps to mute some of the incoming light. The pj is shelf mounted about 6" above the top of the image- This seems to cause a bit of a trapezoidal effect when trying to fill the screen perfectly with the grid. I don't think there is keystone on this machine. When I watch something, I can't notice. From what I can tell, there is not much, if any light reflecting off the ceiling which is 12" above the center of lens. For whatever reason, other PJs would throw more light at the ceiling.

As for blacks, my best point of reference is when the credits come on at the end of a movie as well as the bar on 2:35 material. During credits it truly looks far lighter than my wall or the velvet border on the scene. 2:35 bar are noticeable while RS-1 people laud their machine for not even noticing the bars thanks to contrast. I'm not sure how well an RS-1 would hold up for contrast in my place though, given the light ceiling.

Intrascene though the blacks are quite good, particularly when pitted against colors.

The colors are accurate and this, is exceptional given the brightness of the unit. The image is brighter than my epson in best watching modes, by a good stretch. I am a bit of a brightness fiend and I have the lamp on low now although the bulb is new.

If I had to complain, the iris is noticeable when it does it thing as I mentioned above. Being able to focus while watching an image would be better than on the grid. I don't think you can do this. The zoom could be a bit better as well- it does not seem to zoom out proportionately so filling the screen just right is tough. My placement may have something to do with this but given the amount of lens shift, one would think this would be easier. The horizontal lens shift is limited and AFAIK, there is no way to tell when you are in the center of the shift. I would prefer to shift the pj an inch or two than use horizontal shifting.

I'll keep y'all posted as I go.

Dino
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
the noticeable iris would be a deal breaker for me. Interested to see if others see the same thing.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can any new owners comment on the alignment of the RGB panels? The ProjectorReviews review noted what appears to be relatively serious misconvergence compared to the RS1 and the Epson Home Cinema 1080. It looked like a full pixel of misconvergance. Any hands-on observations?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKorn View Post

If your voltage/power is not maintained at 119V or more, then the 4900 will not turn on.

How'd you learn this?

Not a problem for me as I monitor voltage and it's typically 124 to 125; I've never seen it below 121...
Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Save your money everyone! I'm on my second HC4900 and it's voltage tolerances are set way to low. Sometimes it won't turn on for you. If your voltage/power is not maintained at 119V or more, then the 4900 will not turn on. That is rediculous! Everyone's power fluctuates between 120V and 115 V and the 4900 cannot handle any fluctuations in power.
If you are running your furnace, AC, stove, clothes washer, or any other electrical components, then the 4900 will not lite the bulb.
This is a POS projector!

Fix the wiring in your house.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce banner View Post

I suppose no other brands have defective units? I can understand being disappointed, but it sounds like more than that? I agree it sounds like the wiring needs to be fixed, but are you sure the problem is in the house? Then again when I get mine I hope I am not making the same post. confused:
Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfault View Post

...when I get mine I hope I am not making the same post.

There is not a single purchase anywhere in the history of AVSforums where every owner was happy.

OTOH if you bought your PJ from ProjectorPeople (above left!) you can return it w/o penalty...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

There is not a single purchase anywhere in the history of AVSforums where every owner was happy.

OTOH if you bought your PJ from ProjectorPeople (above left!) you can return it w/o penalty...

Why would there be a penalty with a two year warranty? There should at least be a short grace period...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone upgrade to the HC4900 from the Infocus 4805? My 4805 now has the big yellow "unglued light-tube" on the side of the picture so I'll be upgrading soon.

Mainly, I want to know how the blacks and shadow details compare to the 4805's. I don't really care if the Mits is somewhat weak in that area compared to other current high rollers, since I haven't been spoiled by those. I just want it to be noticeably better than the 4805's.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why would there be a penalty with a two year warranty? There should at least be a short grace period...

I think he is saying that PP has no restocking fee, no?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSSD View Post

Please go and read a book on how to setup a home theater including all the wiring and then come back when you have learned a few things

Ouch, that's pretty harsh. ...I know a little about home theater but I'm not big on the dealing with electrical stuffs either. In his defense you should be able to buy a projector without having to rewire your house. Seriously. I've owned 3 in the past 6 years and I haven't had to rewire my house or work on electric whatever stuffs etc.......and if I did....I'd call the projector a POS as well.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

I think he is saying that PP has no restocking fee, no?

That's right--you can return it within x days and <4 hours on the lamp and just get your money back, period. Greater than 4 hours there's a 15% restocking fee, greater than 10 hours no return or exchange, just repair under warranty.

Under all circumstances the purchaser is responsible for "2nd day freight" w/insurance et. al. so there is a cost. But at least you aren't stuck with a pj you don't want. You DO have to respond w/in 7 days of delivery.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce banner View Post

I *do* think KingKorn might have a problem, particularly as he's said it is a new house. If it were me, I would first double-check that the wire guage into the main panel is correct and not undersized (OTTOMH I think for 200amp service it should be 2/0 guage). Never assume the correct wire has been installed--mine had to be replaced!

Next I would check that all main lugs are properly torqued/tightened down.

Then I would read the 240 and each 120 leg and make certain these are correct. If it's not 240 or greater at the meter I'd get the electric company out to check the transformer and meter wiring.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:

This is a POS projector!

Your correct, nominal voltage in the USA is 120v, however, it can be lower at any particular outlet for a number of reasons. Manufactures take that into account. The HC4900 has a similar power supply to most modern CE product of this type, that is it will operate from 100vac to 240vac (for use in 220v countries) It is very rare to see residential voltage down to near 100v.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeross View Post

The HC4900 has a similar power supply to most modern CE product of this type, that is it will operate from 100vac to 240vac

Good catch Rudeross; the 4900 is indeed rated 100-240vac 50/60Hz, so it ought to work in Japan (100vac) or certainly in KingKorn's house regardless!

I know he's PO'ed at the 4900 but it would be nice to get to the bottom of his problem w/two projectors...

BTW among the reasons I bought mine, it shares a number of important "build quality" features with the 6000. I wonder for example if they share power supplies. Does anyone know a source online for the Service Manuals for these?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Good catch Rudeross; the 4900 is indeed rated 100-240vac 50/60Hz, so it ought to work in Japan (100vac) or certainly in KingKorn's house regardless!

I know he's PO'ed at the 4900 but it would be nice to get to the bottom of his problem w/two projectors...

BTW among the reasons I bought mine, it shares a number of important "build quality" features with the 6000. I wonder for example if they share power supplies. Does anyone know a source online for the Service Manuals for these?

This could be due to a known problem with the motherboard which prevents it from striking the bulb with the high voltage charge to ignite it.

Veni vidi velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyak View Post

This could be due to a known problem with the motherboard

Please provide a link--I thought this was only a problem with the 5000.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

This is a POS projector!

My power does not fluctuate because I don't hook my equipment directly to unreliable residential power. Residential power only has to meet minimum standards for basic operations. Most people don't suffer from bad power but some do and power companies do not have to do anything about it.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ouch, that's pretty harsh. ...I know a little about home theater but I'm not big on the dealing with electrical stuffs either. In his defense you should be able to buy a projector without having to rewire your house. Seriously. I've owned 3 in the past 6 years and I haven't had to rewire my house or work on electric whatever stuffs etc.......and if I did....I'd call the projector a POS as well.

he says his house is new construction -it could have problems. New construction is the most likely place to see a wiring problem and if he does have a problem, it needs to be corrected and soon. I have not ever seen an inspector actually plug testing equipment into every outlet, light switch, and light socket yet but I do it for anything I am buying regardless of age. I have found some simple problems and seen a few bad situations. RJ11 and RJ45 wiring should also be tested.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any of these units to compare to the HC4900? Maybe a Mits. HC3000 or HC3100 as well? Even an Optoma HD7100/HD7300.

I am curious if anyone has seen this PJ and either the Marantz VP4001/Sharp XVZ3K/DT-500. Wondering how the black levels compare and any other comparisons.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

When mine arrives I'll be able to compare it to an Infocus 7210 and a JVC RS1. I may visit my friend to try to compare it to my old BenQ 8720 if I feel like I am up for the drive in the next few weeks.

I am hoping that it looks close enough to the 7210 in terms of sharpness and image depth, but in no way expect it to meet the 8720 or RS1 in contrast. I simply want a large screen for my Mac Mini so I need 1920x1080 to get a useable screen resolution.

I'll get pics up of it all around the new years holiday.

Jim
Old 12-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw350z View Post

When mine arrives I'll be able to compare it to an Infocus 7210 and a JVC RS1. I may visit my friend to try to compare it to my old BenQ 8720 if I feel like I am up for the drive in the next few weeks.

I am hoping that it looks close enough to the 7210 in terms of sharpness and image depth, but in no way expect it to meet the 8720 or RS1 in contrast. I simply want a large screen for my Mac Mini so I need 1920x1080 to get a useable screen resolution.

I'll get pics up of it all around the new years holiday.

Thanks Jim--Look forward to it.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would not use a grey screen with this pj unless you are going no larger than 120" screen.

Given the reviews that suggested "use a grey screen of the type made for early LCDs" I am looking at High Contrast Grey by Draper 0.8 gain for a 45" tall screen (sometimes 80 wide, mostly 105 wide). Room is pitch dark. Whaddya think?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post

Can any new owners comment on the alignment of the RGB panels? The ProjectorReviews review noted what appears to be relatively serious misconvergence compared to the RS1 and the Epson Home Cinema 1080. It looked like a full pixel of misconvergance. Any hands-on observations?

I'll try this again since it got lost in the "electrical" flurry...
Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have a screen yet? I would wait until someone who has tried a grey screen posts their results

No, I sure don't. But I need an electric screen, and 2.35:1 AR, and these are not the easiest to come by.

So far I like the Draper Access Multiview because it comes in 105" wide 'scope and a second roller to mask to 16:9. But I think I'd rather try the High Contrast Grey than the Matte White, again based on the reviews I've seen of the 4900's black performance.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyak View Post

This could be due to a known problem with the motherboard which prevents it from striking the bulb with the high voltage charge to ignite it.

Ok, here's the latest on my big turd Mitsubishi 4900. I had my electrician out today (Christmas eve, he wasn't very happy). We checked the voltage on the plug and it ranged from 117V to 121 V. I would say that's well within the range of operation of this piece of crap.

THIS ISN"T A POWER/ELECTRICAL PROBLEM!!! It's a Mitsubishi problem.
So now, is anyone willing and able to help me with this? I refuse to believe that I'm the only one out there that has had 2 of these turds act this way.
Is there an update for the 4900?
Thanks in advance...
Old 12-24-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Ok, here's the latest on my big turd Mitsubishi 4900. I had my electrician out today (Christmas eve, he wasn't very happy). We checked the voltage on the plug and it ranged from 117V to 121 V. I would say that's well within the range of operation of this piece of crap.

So now, is anyone willing and able to help me with this? I refuse to believe that I'm the only one out there that has had 2 of these turds act this way.
Thanks in advance...

Man....I'm getting a little nervous about this. I ordered one already and was contemplating a second for my brother.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance...

There can be other problems besides voltage (floating ground for example). But first, have you taken the projector to another location and plugged it in and tested it with the same results?

Do you have anything else connected to the circuit you use for the projector? Does it have a surge protector perhaps, another appliance (some motor driven devices can be very dirty for example).

Since you've had the same problem with two units, you need to issolate the problem and see if the units work at another location.

It seems strange you'd have the same problem with two different units, but then I've been thourgh four A210 Bluetooth adapters and they've all been bad but I suspect the batteries died on the shelf and they were all old stock even though they came from different sources.

You might also get your power company to check the power with a recorder that would keep track of voltage, ground, amperage, etc on a time recorder to see if the problem is different during different times of the day. Also how many houses are on your step down transformer? You could have a problem that is actually related to a neighbor's house.

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4900 Lcd Projector 1080p
Gear in this thread