post #181 of 3715 Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robul View Post

As big as I can!! Hopefully atleast a 108" screen..

If you're on a budget the Grandview range is well worth considering. You will see Grandview screens under a few different names such as Beamax, Sapphire. The giveaway is to look at the case design. Grandview have patented their innovative bracket system so any other manufacturer wanting to copy it will have second thoughts. If the screen has this bracket then you know where it's made!

The non tab tensioned Grandview range of manual or electric screens uses a multi layer fibreglass material which is very resistant to rippling or edge curl. It has a gain of 1 and is ideal for all types of projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3715 Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the notes on the ceiling mount and brightness correlation. I figured it might be something having to do w/ the screen gain and positioning.

jkenned, Quite a few projectors do not allow scaling of HD signals. So the aspect ratio change will have to come from the source (HD satelite / cable, DVD player,etc). However it rarely comes into play except maybe to stretch 4:3 content. For using a 2.35 screen you have to either zoom the picture out or use a anamorphic lens to change the picture to the wider content. The 4900 should be an excellent choice for zooming to 2.35 since it has the powered zoom and lens shift. Thats one of the main reasons it has my interest (beisdes the 1080 resolution and newer LCD panels). Refer to the Constant Height section of the forum.

My Home Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 3715 Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenned70 View Post

...why are some people choosing the screen with the 16:9 and 2.35 capability??? Because the Mits doesn't change NON HD Signals?

I don't understand the "NON HD Signals" question--both HD and SD DVDs can be optically zoomed to fill a wider screen when desired.

I'm going 2.35 45x106 for my main screen because it's the way many (most?) movies these days are filmed & thus meant to be seen. It will make my Home Theater *look like* a Theater, and will eliminate "black bars" above & below.

But even for 16:9 movies this screen (now 45x80, for 92" diagonal) will be 50% bigger than my 60" HDTV.

We'll use the HDTV to watch TV shows, probably not much else i.e. for any DVD we'll drop the big screen.
post #184 of 3715 Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks gentlemen.
post #185 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Bump for screen shots.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12358748

Veni vidi velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around.
post #186 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyak View Post

Bump for screen shots.

Gorgeous images--looks like there are some stuck-on pixels, though? Left sunglass in 2nd shot, corner of police officer's mouth in 3rd (for position). Say it ain't so.
post #187 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Gorgeous images--looks like there are some stuck-on pixels, though? Left sunglass in 2nd shot, corner of police officer's mouth in 3rd (for position). Say it ain't so.

Man you are getting me worried . I have to wait till this evening to find out if it is camera or the PJ or something else like HD DVD vs Blu-Ray thing . I don't see the stuck pixel on the Spiderman screen shots though.

post #188 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Bump for screen shots.

Thanks for the screen shots seyak! I am impressed. I do not have a HD source, yet, but have been very happy with the brightness and contrast. I love the projector so far with a DIY painted screen (light gray). It was a huge hit at Christmas dinner and had a hard time pulling everyone away from the screen to eat even with only a SD source.
post #189 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osilee View Post

Thanks for the screen shots seyak! I am impressed. I do not have a HD source, yet, but have been very happy with the brightness and contrast. I love the projector so far with a DIY painted screen (light gray). It was a huge hit at Christmas dinner and had a hard time pulling everyone away from the screen to eat even with only a SD source.

If you are impressed by the SD, trust me a HD source would freak you out.

post #190 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You know? I was just thinking here... This projector is almost cheap enough to buy as a backup. A little on the expensive side compared to a warranty, but man the benefits as compared to a warranty are significant.
post #191 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 AM

My HC4900 arrived yesterday and I have some initial impressions. This is replacing a Sanyo Z3 I have had since May of 2005 that has almost 1700 hours on the original bulb. I am projecting onto a homemade 110" screen that is using white curtain blackout material. Components in the chain are an Onkyo 805, DirecTV HR-250 HD receiver, Xbox 360 with HD-DVD player, and a HTPC with the new ATI Radeon 3870HD video card (HDMI out) and an HD-DVD drive. The HC4900 is being fed via an HDMI cable out of the Onkyo 805.

The ceiling mount that I use for the Sanyo will not work with the Mitsubishi, so I will have to order a proper ceiling mount. But in the meantime, I used one of my B&W 604S3 shipping cartons to set the HC4900 right behind my theater seating and that is working very well. It is around 14 feet from the screen. I have the HC4900 set to low lamp mode using the standard factory settings-no tweaking has been done yet. My theater room is completely light controlled, so ambient light is not usually a factor.

Wow. I know that isn't a very 'technical' term to describe the picture quality of this projector, but that was the first thing out of my mouth upon seeing HD content on it for the first time. Very sharp images, very good color, nice brightness (lumen output)-just an overall excellent image. Now was it a night and day difference over my Sanyo Z3? No, it's not-however, the Z3 was one of the best 720p LCD projectors when it came out, and in my opinion can more than hold it's own with the current models. But the HC4900 is an upgrade in my setup, and the difference is between them can be detected. I would like to have a brand new bulb in the Z3 so that I could make a better comparison, but I still believe the HC4900 has a definite advantage. The amount of extra detail in the picture is very noticeable to me, and makes viewing more lifelike. The increased resolution does away with the screen door effect which the Z3 had (although I never noticed the SDE at my normal viewing distance) and takes away the pixelation I had when viewing web pages on the HTPC.

Now onto what everyone has been asking about-black levels and contrast. I can only compare it to the Z3 obviously, but I believe the Z3 was pretty good in this regard when it was released. The HC4900 is better, especially with shadow detail-that is one thing that was an almost night and day difference between it and the Z3. I put in a couple of games on the Xbox 360 and couldn't believe how much better I could see the details on games with dark scenes. After looking at pictures taken of other projectors online and their black levels, I can see where the HC4900 is not quite as good as the some of the other 1080p models out there. However, the black levels are still pretty good and really shouldn't be an issue with anyone that is interested in the HC4900.

Overall, this is a very good 1080p projector-but with the current $500 rebate this is a superb projector that probably can't be beat in its price range. After only a few hours of viewing, I am very impressed and happy with my purchase. If anyone has any questions, I will try my best to answer them.

Eric Giles
post #192 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the update Eric.

Can you comment on the alignment of the RGB panels (the bug-a-boo of all 3 panel devices)? The ProjectorReviews review noted what appears to be relatively serious misconvergence compared to the RS1 and the Epson Home Cinema 1080. It looked like a full pixel of misconvergance. Any hands-on observations?

Thanks,
Scott
post #193 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bump for screen shots.

Thank you very much.
post #194 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM

Does anyone know what LCD panels it uses. D6 or D7? None of the literature says anything other than C2fine. I assume it is D6 since the blacks suppossedly aren't the darkest. Either way, I am sure it will still be a good upgrade for me coming from a Panny 300U w/ 800:1 contrast ratio

My Home Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #195 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillydee View Post

Does anyone know what LCD panels it uses.

If you google HC4900 and D6 it'll turn-up a few hits.

ScottS FYI I could not find any evidence of panel mis-alignment on my 4900.
post #196 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm wondering if the 4900 will become the new 4805 in terms of being the default "projector of choice". It certainly seems to have the bang-for-buck value that the 4805 did in its prime.
post #197 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what LCD panels it uses. D6 or D7? None of the literature says anything other than C2fine. I assume it is D6 since the blacks suppossedly aren't the darkest. Either way, I am sure it will still be a good upgrade for me coming from a Panny 300U w/ 800:1 contrast ratio

Mitsubishi is not using D7 panels in their new models (HC4900,H6000 both are still using D6).

Sanyo, Epson and Panasonic are using D7.

With that being said there other things you must consider.

Peter Putman's review of the Sanyo didn't seem too favorable. I think he actually liked the D6 Mitsubishi better.

Early reviews(Putman) and previews(cine4home) seem to indicate that for a D7 projector, the Sanyo's contrast isn't that good. Also, the iris isn't nearly as effective as Panasonic's.

In addition to this, Projector Central has implied that the Panasonic is as good or better than the Sony VW60 which is well over $1000 higher.
post #198 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post

Thanks for the update Eric.

Can you comment on the alignment of the RGB panels (the bug-a-boo of all 3 panel devices)? The ProjectorReviews review noted what appears to be relatively serious misconvergence compared to the RS1 and the Epson Home Cinema 1080. It looked like a full pixel of misconvergance. Any hands-on observations?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott-

I have to admit, I do not know how to check for that. If you will let me know how, I will tell you what I see later on today.

Eric
post #199 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 AM

Hey Seyak and Laserfan,

I don't want to start a mass hysteria or anything, but it looks like the HC4900 that Art did a review on looks like it has a dead pixel as well. However he didn't mention it. Look through the screen caps and there is a white dot in there. Towards the top of the screen a little left of dead center. I hope Mitz QC isn't bad. I though dead pixels on LCD's is relatively rare these days.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...agequality.php

My Home Theater Build

post #200 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Hey Seyak and Laserfan,

I don't want to start a mass hysteria or anything, but it looks like the HC4900 that Art did a review on looks like it has a dead pixel as well. However he didn't mention it. Look through the screen caps and there is a white dot in there. Towards the top of the screen a little left of dead center. I hope Mitz QC isn't bad. I though dead pixels on LCD's is relatively rare these days.

Just for the record-I haven't seen any dead pixels on my 4900.

Eric
post #201 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what Mitsubishi's warranty policy is on dead/stuck pixels? I know with my Optoma that they would fix it if even one pixel was dead/stuck. I am not as familar with LCD's and what the manufacturers consider "within spec".

You're right- let's not start a panic.

Thanks for the review Eric... What kind of mount did you have? A universal one or something built for the Sanyo?

Thanks!
post #202 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey Seyak and Laserfan,

White? That would take all three panels on. If all three were off it would be black, then of course you have various combinations but more than a single stuck on or off would be rare indeed. BTW I couldn't see it when I looked.
post #203 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Thanks for the review Eric... What kind of mount did you have? A universal one or something built for the Sanyo?

Thanks!

No problem-I know it isn't much of a review, and I only viewed it for about 4 hours or so-but as I said, so far I am very happy.

The mount I had was one I bought off of ebay back late 2005. It is a universal mount, but it specifically said it was for the Sanyo PLV-Z3. It came with different adapters, mounting legs, and different sized screws-but in my ignorance I threw all of those away over a year ago. Hey, my projector is mounted-what the heck would I ever need these for?? Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?

Not sure which way I am going to go now, as I really don't want to have to take down the exisiting mount from the ceiling and drill new holes so that I can install a Chief mount. Anyone have any suggestions?

Eric
post #204 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 89
After following this thread as well as the relevant Epson, Sanyo, and Panasonic threads, I ordered an HC4900 from the Projector Place the day after Xmas. It was a very, very good price and shipping was free. It arrived today, so I'm ready to take it down to the media room and give it a go.

It will replace my Seleco SVD800 HD CRT projector, which I like a lot for its excellent picture, but I'm tired of its size, heat, and multiple fan noise.

Thanks to all who provided useful information in all these threads, but especially to those who provided insight into the HC4900 here.

I'll report back later about my impressions and comparisons to the Seleco.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #205 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Eric, can you post a pic of the mounting holes on the bottom of the Mitsubishi? I may have a solution for you. I bought a universal mount from monoprice and it worked for my Z5 and works well with my Panasonic AE2000. I might pic up this HC4900 for comparison to my AE2000. My father-in-law is ready to upgrade
post #206 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Anyone know what Mitsubishi's warranty policy is on dead/stuck pixels? I know with my Optoma that they would fix it if even one pixel was dead/stuck. I am not as familar with LCD's and what the manufacturers consider "within spec".

Mitsubishi seems to have a pretty lax requirement when it comes to dead pixels. On page EN-39 of the manual in the troubleshooting section it lists the following problem:

"Red, blue, and green dots appear in projected images. Black dots appear in projected images."

The "solution" is probably not what you wanted to hear:

"This phenomenon is unique to LCD projector and isn't a product malfunction. (A small number of pixels always stay on or off, which are not malfunctions. More than 99.99% of the pixels are effective.)"

Taking them literally at the 99.99% effective pixels metric literally means 622 pixels could be bad and Mitsubishi would claim there is no malfunction. (1920 * 1080 * 3 * .0001 = 622) I'd be pretty bummed if my new projector had 600 bad pixels. I could probably live with a few, though.
post #207 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post

White? That would take all three panels on. If all three were off it would be black, then of course you have various combinations but more than a single stuck on or off would be rare indeed. BTW I couldn't see it when I looked.

I did see what he was talking about, still not a big deal. It's in the middle of the photos near the top.

thanks for the good eye fillydee..

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #208 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giles View Post

Scott-

I have to admit, I do not know how to check for that. If you will let me know how, I will tell you what I see later on today.

Eric

Eric, put up a grid (normally included in the menu for focusing) and then walk up to the screen. You should see white lines on a black background. If the lines have a red or blue stripe at the top/bottom/side that is mis-convergence of the panels.

You can determine how many/few pixels or mis-convergence by checking the number of visible pixels when you are right up close to the screen.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #209 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I received my 4900 yesterday from Projector People. I have less than four hours on the lamp to decide if this will replace my Panasonic 900, so I am being very cautious in using it until I make my decision. I put one hour on it yesterday, and another forty minutes on it today. I thought that I would pass on some quick observations.

It is definitely sharper AND more detailed with HD DVD than my Panasonic. Color is very nice also. However, it has a few quirks that I am having problems dealing with.

There is no main power switch on the back of the unit like the Panasonic has. The manual tells you to unplug it after it has cooled off. Wierd, but I guess I can get used to it.

The manual also tells you to have the unit out 20" from the back wall. They say this is so the venting can work properly, but I don't understand this, as the intake and outflow vents are on the sides of the projector, not the back. I am using my projector(s) in a quite small room, approximately 10' wide, x 11' deep, and I need to have the projector closer than 20" from the back wall, so I literally have room to sit.

Another potential problem. There is no manual zoom or focus, only electronic. I like to do the "poor man's" constant height viewing in my system, but when you press the zoom/focus button (or the lens shift button) the picture goes away, and you get a green grid to look at. This makes it a little dificult to properly zoom and position the image to work in my 2/40:1 screen.

These are just a few initial observations for those people on the fence about this projector. It is STILL a fantastic deal for a 1080p projector after the $500 rebate. I will just have to decide if it will work for me. It sure is nice to be able to walk right up to the screen and check for sharp focus though. (With the Panasonic, I'm constantly tweaking the focus to try to make it look sharper!)
post #210 of 3715 Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Eric, put up a grid (normally included in the menu for focusing) and then walk up to the screen. You should see white lines on a black background. If the lines have a red or blue stripe at the top/bottom/side that is mis-convergence of the panels.

You can determine how many/few pixels or mis-convergence by checking the number of visible pixels when you are right up close to the screen.

Scott-

Thanks for letting me know. So I put up the crosshatch test pattern that has green bars and got right up to the screen. I could see then that my focus was just slightly off, so I adjusted the focus so that it was basically as close to perfect as I could get it.

I ran the test pattern again, and for the life of me I cannot see anything but a perfectly formed dotted green line everywhere-no other colored pixels are visible near the main lines.

Maybe it is possible the reviewers received a misadjusted or damaged unit, but I can honestly say that I don't see any misconvergence at all.

Glad to know that I received a good one!

Eric
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4900 Lcd Projector 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page