Official Mitsubishi HC4900 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3714 Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I couldn't resist the recent Circuit City's BF sale price (2K-10%) on this projector so I bought one and so far I'm pretty happy with it . I would like to request other owners to post their settings, tweaks here.

My settings - Taken from Jason's Professionally Calibrated 6000 settings - Worked well for my 4900

Menu / Image

Gamma Mode - Auto
Contrast = -1
Brightness = 4
Color = -2
Tint = -1
Sharpness = -2

Color Temp = User
Reference = Medium
Contrast Red = 3
Contrast Green = -1
Contrast Blue = -17
Brightness Red = 2
Brightness Green = -2
Brightness Blue = 6

Iris = Auto 1
CTI = 0

Highlights

Good out of the box settings.
Flesh tones extremely accurate.
Colors are spot on.
Whisper quiet in the low lamp mode.
I didn't feel the need for an internal HQV upscaler as I use HD-XA2 for DVDs.
Razor sharp images and excellent colors with pristine HD source material like HD DVD and Blu Ray. Spiderman III on Blu Ray is out of this world so is Hot Fuzz on HD DVD.
I never felt the blacks were bad at all given its contrast ratio.

Excellent reviews from fellow AVS'ers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12738853
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12618799
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12690747

Professional Reviews:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...projector.html
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...4900/index.php
http://www.projectorcentral.com/mits...me_theater.htm
http://hometheater.about.com/od/prod...HC4900shrt.htm
http://www.cnet.com.au/projectors/lc...9284110,00.htm

Manufacturer Link:
http://www.mitsubishi-hometheater.com/hc4900.asp

Spec Sheet:
http://www.mitsubishi-hometheater.co...shi_hc4900.pdf

User Manual:
http://www.mitsubishi-hometheater.co...ser_Manual.pdf

Video Link:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/807281...00_projectors/
http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/mitsubi...ic-projectors/

$500 Rebate from 12/01/07 to 01/31/2008

http://www.mitsubishi-hometheater.co...ilInRebate.pdf

Order Better Filter

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13341879

I know there are better projectors but for the street price, this is the one to beat.
Call me biased but IMHO this PJ looks sharper, more colorful than my buddie's Pearl (VW50). The Pearl kicks ass in the blacks dept though. Again this is my personal opinion I don't intend to start any flames.

I'm sorry, I'm not much of a review writer but I'd be more than glad to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

BTW for the CIH crowd, there is no HD vertical stretch mode in the projector. Use external stretchers like HTPC or the poor man's vertical stretchers Samsung DVD-1080P7 or DVD-HD870 for DVDs.

cheers

Veni vidi velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Finally some screen shots! I was able find some time after the kids went to bed last night.
All taken from Matrix, Hot Fuzz HD DVD and Spider Man Blu-Ray.
Pictures may not be sharp due to when the frame was freezed and colors may not be accurate as they are dependent on the camera. They look much much better on the screen than in the photos. You'd see a lot more shadow details on the screen.

Sorry to disappoint some of you by not posting the photos sooner.

BTW photos are totally untouched. They are just resized by the AVS uploader.

Let me know what you think of the blacks. Are they inky enough for you?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #3 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Finally HC4900 tread

This may be projector to buy but i would need info on few things. For example what is true difference between HC5000 and HC4900? I heard on few places its same projector but only without HQV upscaler and some extra filter for dust. Is it true? Why than contrast difference in spect ( 7500:1 vs 10000:1)?

Even better can someone compare HC4900 vs newer HC6000 and other projector that cost more than 2700$ ? This projector is VERY tempting as it is cheapest 1080p.
post #4 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The HC5000 is one of the sharpest projectors out there. I'd expect the HC4900 to be about equal on that note.

So if your one that loves the ultra sharp, like almost to sharp, this should be high on your list for the money.

Sharper than a Pearl, I'd say that as well. The Pearl has it's strengths as well though.
post #5 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't expecting mits to be the <$2k price breaker...but they are. Should give the z2000 a run for the $. Enjoy.
post #6 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNic2 View Post

Finally HC4900 tread

This may be projector to buy but i would need info on few things. For example what is true difference between HC5000 and HC4900? I heard on few places its same projector but only without HQV upscaler and some extra filter for dust. Is it true? Why than contrast difference in spect ( 7500:1 vs 10000:1)?

Even better can someone compare HC4900 vs newer HC6000 and other projector that cost more than 2700$ ? This projector is VERY tempting as it is cheapest 1080p.

Follow the video link. Manufacturer's rep clearly explains the differences.

I was on the phone with Mits Service guy the other day and he said the 4900 is basically a 5000 - minus bugs - minus HQV - minus 2500 contast ratio.

Between 4900 and 6000, HQV and constrast ratio are the only differences that I know of. I'm not sure about the HDMI versions though.

Between the three, the menus and other settings are the exact same except for the HQV specific settings.

The projector put outs razor sharp images like there is no tomorrow. Colors are almost 3D. If you can live with a bit of less contrast ratio, this one is a no brainer. BTW the projector has a motorized lens that can shift both vertically and horizontal.

post #7 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 01:01 PM

How do you like dynamic iris? Is it fast enought so you dont notice it in action? One more question,how do you feel HC4900 compare to Pearl in real-life contrast... big difference or rather small that only videofiles will care.

Thanks
post #8 of 3714 Old 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNic2 View Post

How do you like dynamic iris? Is it fast enought so you dont notice it in action? One more question,how do you feel HC4900 compare to Pearl in real-life contrast... big difference or rather small that only videofiles will care.

Thanks

Auto Iris felt seemless to me. I never noticed any lag issues.

As you may already know there are several factors that can contribute to the perceived differences in the contrast like the HT room color, ambient light, screen material, lamp mode, source material etc etc. Honestly, I have not done an AB comparison with Pearl (VW50) in a similar setup and I'm not a very picky videophile but I can spot minor differences in images. Having said that, from what I can remember, my friend's Pearl seems to have some edge but nothing very substantial and definitely not worth the $1000-1500 price difference between the two in any case.

As I said before if you are willing to compromise a little bit on the contrast , this projector will make you very very happy with its overall picture quality. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Here is a quote from one of the reviewers about the Mits images - taken verbatim - "I would go as far as to say, they have more punch (and sharpness), than my JVC RS1, which is twice the price. Overall, the Mitsubishi HC4900 produces rich, vibrant colors."

That really says a lot about this projector.

post #9 of 3714 Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM

I just got this yesterday and all I can say is wow! Redrilled the plate in my Chief RPA mount so I could temp mount the HC4900 and with min adjustment can't believe how great the picture is. I'm going from a Benq PE7800 which was an upgrade from a Benq 6100. I'm using a highpower screen and the picture just pops. Sources are D'TV and HD DVD. I haven't calibrated yet. I'm in low power lamp mode, very quiet. I was also looking at the Optoma HD80 but because off the offset and my low ceiling I couldn't use it. I'm very happy with this projector and can't wait to calibrate this!
post #10 of 3714 Old 12-02-2007, 07:10 AM

Does anybody know what type of filter one would put on this to protect the lens/keep it clean?
post #11 of 3714 Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123456 View Post

Does anybody know what type of filter one would put on this to protect the lens/keep it clean?

According to MITS, the latest gen PJs (HC4900, HC6000) have better dust protection than the previous gen (HC5000). So I guess what ever filter that comes installed with the PJ should be good enough.

post #12 of 3714 Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 AM

It doesn't come with a filter, as far as I know; it has a lens cap, but since it'll be ceiling mounted, that'd be a bit hard to get on and off each time. I'd thought with other similar projectors people put ND filters on to a) improve black levels, and b) protect the lens. But I don't know if the HC4900 takes filters, nor what size might be appropriate.
post #13 of 3714 Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123456 View Post

It doesn't come with a filter, as far as I know; it has a lens cap, but since it'll be ceiling mounted, that'd be a bit hard to get on and off each time. I'd thought with other similar projectors people put ND filters on to a) improve black levels, and b) protect the lens. But I don't know if the HC4900 takes filters, nor what size might be appropriate.

Never mind. I thought you meant the dust filter. I'm not aware of any filters for the lens.

post #14 of 3714 Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM

Any recomendations for a reasonably priced screen for the HC4900?
post #15 of 3714 Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post

Any recomendations for a reasonably priced screen for the HC4900?

I'm projecting on a 120" wall painted with RS-MMMaxx paint formula. May not be a match to the Vutec SilverStar but looks pretty good compared to other cheap screens.

post #16 of 3714 Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM

Very interested in the HC4900 but need some help. I do watch a great deal of SD material and HD on places like TNT. In the Sound and Vision review it states:

"Pressing the Aspect button toggles through 4:3 and 16:9 options plus picture stretch and zoom modes, though only 16:9 is available for high-def signals. That's a limitation when watching "stretched" upconverted programs on channels like TNT HD. Such programs cry out to be squeezed back to a regular 4:3 aspect ratio, and the HC4900 won't let you do it."

Is this only for the HDMI/DVI input?

Is this typical for all HD projectors or is this an specific to the Mits? This is one seriously impressive machine for the price. Any input would be helpful to help make this decision easier.
post #17 of 3714 Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM

The projector is great. It was OK even on a flat black wall. We've now painted a screen goo screen, and it's excellent. I've got a 115" image from about 12' back from the front wall.

What's everybody doing to keep the lens clean? Lens cap on all the time? It seems a bit of a nuisance to keep taking it off to watch a movie, though.
post #18 of 3714 Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM

SEYAK- I posted this over in your other thread, but wanted to include it here in case somebody missed it. At projectorusa.com the new HC4900 is $1828 (free delivery) - $500 factory rebate = $1328. Yes, they are a authorized dealer. I just bought one.
post #19 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 05:34 AM

Well it looks like this thread is going to be more active now that this is clearly the low cost 1080p projector. I am anxiously waiting on mine. I know that there are a lot of folks that have been slamming this projector because of the contrast and black levels but, I have jumped and there will be no going back.

Since this projector has poor black levels yet seems to have enough light to project onto a gray screen to enhance the black levels, what are the screen choices of the current owners out there?

I have a painted DIY light gray screen up right now that is 96" diagonal. In the projector review they suggested to "go big" +120" and gray.

I would think that this would bring the Fashion Grey Wilsonart laminate into play. Is there a current owner with this screen setup that can comment on this option? I am especially interest in the performance in "some ambient light" conditions.

Looking forward to seeing if we can maximize the capabilities of this projector knowing the limitations that we face.
post #20 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 AM

I don't think this projector has poor black levels, it just not as good as the other projector.

However if your room/setup is not in an ideal(no ambient light, darker color wall), I don't think you can tell a whole lot of difference. Also projector central just posted the review of 4900.
post #21 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSSD View Post

I just bought one too! Sweet 1080p with the sharpest picture available for $1328 I really never dreamed this would happen so fast! The HD1000U will now be going bye bye for big bro HC4900

Glad I jumped on this before they sold out. Does the HC4900 do 24fps? It would be a nice extra

It accepts 24fps but outputs at a 1080P60 fps.

post #22 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osilee View Post

Well it looks like this thread is going to be more active now that this is clearly the low cost 1080p projector. I am anxiously waiting on mine. I know that there are a lot of folks that have been slamming this projector because of the contrast and black levels but, I have jumped and there will be no going back.

Since this projector has poor black levels yet seems to have enough light to project onto a gray screen to enhance the black levels, what are the screen choices of the current owners out there?

I have a painted DIY light gray screen up right now that is 96" diagonal. In the projector review they suggested to "go big" +120" and gray.

I would think that this would bring the Fashion Grey Wilsonart laminate into play. Is there a current owner with this screen setup that can comment on this option? I am especially interest in the performance in "some ambient light" conditions.

Looking forward to seeing if we can maximize the capabilities of this projector knowing the limitations that we face.

I'm projecting on to a 120" wall painted with RS-MMMaxx paint formula. May not be a match to the Vutec SilverStar but looks pretty good compared to other cheap screens. The picture looks awesome in my light controlled bat cave.

post #23 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
so, how would the contrast/black levels on this projector compare to the last gen Mits DLP's? Is it on par with the 1000/1500 or the 3000? Or is it somewhere between.

I have a 1000U and I'm very close to upgrading to the HC3000 but this one has given me pause. I've been a fan of DLP after having both LCD and DLP projectors in the past and am really making the move for improved contrast/black levels (I'm otherwise very pleased with the 1000u).

At this point, I value contrast just as much if not more than resolution. I'll take the reliable 720p with better contrast and blacks over the new fangled 1080p any day, but if the contrast and blacks are in the same league I have some serious thinking to do.
post #24 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Here is a link to the review at Projector Central.

Thanks Vic Y
post #25 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post

so, how would the contrast/black levels on this projector compare to the last gen Mits DLP's? Is it on par with the 1000/1500 or the 3000? Or is it somewhere between.

I have a 1000U and I'm very close to upgrading to the HC3000 but this one has given me pause. I've been a fan of DLP after having both LCD and DLP projectors in the past and am really making the move for improved contrast/black levels (I'm otherwise very pleased with the 1000u).

At this point, I value contrast just as much if not more than resolution. I'll take the reliable 720p with better contrast and blacks over the new fangled 1080p any day, but if the contrast and blacks are in the same league I have some serious thinking to do.

Here is a quote from the 8/19/07 review of the HC4900 from Art over at projectorreviews.com:

"Mind you, the blacks, while not extremely dark, are at least comparable to most DLP projectors using the Darkchip 2, and it does a better job, than, say almost any 720p LCD projector. That said, of the LCD 1080p projectors, the HC4900's black levels are lighter than the Panasonic PT-AE1000U, the Epson Home and Pro Cinema 1080, and, of course the Mitsubishi HC5000."

The point is the blacks are somewhat lighter when compared to some of the other new 1080p projectors, but not majority the 720p models. If you are thinking of staying with a 720p projector primarily for contrast reasons, think again!
post #26 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osilee View Post

Here is a link to the review at Projector Central.

Thanks Vic Y

I had not read this before ordering mine yesterday. WOW! A 5-Star Editors Choice award from Projector Central. This should lay any doubts to rest. Thanks for the link Vic.
post #27 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Hey all,
I'm thinking of buying this to replace my 480p IN72. I have it hooked up to an HTPC using HDMI to DVI. I mainly use it for PC games, sports (american football mainly), TV (via USB tuner) and DVD/downloaded movies. I wish I had never stumbled across this $1328 price point as it is sending me into an existential crisis.

How will this function on an HTPC?

Am I better off waiting for the Panny AE2000u to drop in price?

As well, projectorcentral states "Data Compatibility: Computer resolutions up to SXGA 1280x1024". Does this mean that the max res of anything I watch through the PC will end up being 1280x1024? Thanks again, sorry for the n00b q's.
post #28 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 PM

Mine will be arriving tomorrow. I'm wondering what HD DVD player to pair it with. Is there any advantage to getting a Tosh A35 or an XA2? I know it doesn't have 1.3 support so I'm wondering if it might be overkill. I know the XA2 is supposed to simply be a killer player across the board but I can't find it for under 600. Would the A35 be worthwhile?

Dino
post #29 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 06:26 PM

I too was waiting for a Panny AE2000u price drop or possibly the new Epson. When I saw this thread I decided that this projector would work for me and bought one last night. I don't mind saving a thousand dollars over the Pan/Epson and believe I'll enjoy the picture just fine for a couple years ... Well, in a week or so I'll find out. Since the reviews indicate blacks are somewhat lighter when compared to some of the other new 1080p projectors, but not majority the 720p models i believe I'll be just fine. If not only because I wont know what i am missing?? I am going from an Pan AE900u to this projector which had weaker blacks.

Please comment on my plan on using a light gray/silver screen like the Elite ezFrame screen or Elite HC gray, see the review, to improve black levels on say 110-120" screen (or?):

http://www.projectorreviews.com/proj...C/proscons.php

Room is light controlled, dark walls, 13.5' throw, 11.5 seating, for HD movies, 70% of viewing, and some ambient light for HD-TV/sports, no light directly on the screen.

Also, Projectorreviews wrote: a great matchup would be Da-Lite's HC Da-Mat, and Carada's affordable HC gray surface. Carada's is one I've never worked with, but from my understanding it is a dark gray, that should match very well. If you want to go larger screen sizes, the Firehawk, and Elite's HC gray surface, would be reasonable options. I'd avoid, in general, white surfaces, unless your primary purpose is non-movie content, such as sports viewing.

Any suggestions? Thanks
post #30 of 3714 Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizwip View Post

Mine will be arriving tomorrow. I'm wondering what HD DVD player to pair it with. Is there any advantage to getting a Tosh A35 or an XA2? I know it doesn't have 1.3 support so I'm wondering if it might be overkill. I know the XA2 is supposed to simply be a killer player across the board but I can't find it for under 600. Would the A35 be worthwhile?

Dino

If all you are worried about is the "video" side, go with the A20/30 or possibly A3. I wouldn't get the A35 since it performs the same as the cheaper A20/30 in that they ALL fail proper deinterlacing when outputting 1080P60. Best output from them all is 1080P24, so no point spending more money. If the Mits can't accept 1080P24 go w. the A2/3 since the Mits should at least deinterlace similar or better than A20/30/35 (only when they output 1080P60).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4900 Lcd Projector 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page