post #271 of 2884 Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautussutuaN View Post

The same question has been bothering me as well... as my son likes to play video games then decides to do something else just to find out in an hour later he wants to play video games again... So is the "2 hour" cool down or whatever that important that I would want to change from either leaving it on for that time or just tell him sorry you have to wait....
And the DLP vs LCD question I am also curious about as I want to upgrade to the HD65 but am also looking at the Epson 720.. so if DLP is what I want to stick with the HD65 is the one I will get..

The 8 hours comes from the factory techs. The two hours is actually conservative. The wait time comes from the bulb filiment, it's in a vunrulable point as it's dorment after shut off. So the best you can do to stabilize the filiment after shut down by not bumping the pj and not re firing up before it's fully stable will make the bulb last much longer.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2884 Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acksnay View Post

Ok, Tom. I'm hearing you say this isn't a subtle projector. For sure an ND2 filter would tame the beast the first couple hundred hours. So what we've got here is an animation-friendly PJ? It's still got me curious to see what it can do after being dialed in nicely.

So here's my money question: Does it hurt to watch? Neither of us is particularly rainbow-afflicted, but have you gotten that H31/SP4805 type fatigue watching the HD65?

Nope no eyestrain at all because of the high brightness, no rainbows either form me.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #273 of 2884 Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
I am in the market to upgrade my Optoma 739. I had originally thought of either the Panasonic AX200 720p projector or the Mistubishi 4900 1080P unit. I am now thinking of the Optoma HD65 unit for several reasons; cheaper than both the others, have had good luck with my 739 and also I believe my 739 mount will still work on the HD65. Any input on these? I plan on using it mostly for movies using an Oppo 981 dvd player, some game play with the kids Wii and may add a blu ray player soon. I have it some light where the projector is located. but could have full light control if needed.
post #274 of 2884 Old 02-16-2008, 09:16 AM

"The 8 hours comes from the factory techs. The two hours is actually conservative. The wait time comes from the bulb filiment, it's in a vunrulable point as it's dorment after shut off. So the best you can do to stabilize the filiment after shut down by not bumping the pj and not re firing up before it's fully stable will make the bulb last much longer."

Umm .. there is no filament. These machines have short-arc lamps (invented by Philips). The bulbs are still VERY vulnerable when hot, tho. That's why the very short cooldown (with the lamp still lit!) on shutdown concerns me.
post #275 of 2884 Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Right so they know what I mean. Be cool when first aligning the projector, easy movements.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #276 of 2884 Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 AM

Yesterday evening I set up my HD65, and here are the results.

Source: PS3
Software: DVE PAL + ColorFacts Professional™ 7.0 (with Eye-One Pro Spectrophotometer)
Cabling: 10 meter (3.3') HDMI (Jenving)
Signal: 576p upscaled to 1080p
Screen: 2 meter (6.6’/78.7”) wide Xus matt/white 1.0 gain
IRE100 (window): 16 fL (~387 calibrated lumens I guess)

Minor adjustments for the grayscale, but Brilliant Colour and TrueVivid at 0, otherwise my intensities went through the roof.

Worked with Display Mode Cinema and Degamma PC, which felt the best eye-wise.

What I like the best with this unit; it´s really bright, still fairly accurate colorwise, quiet and disappearingly small. Also no issues with 1080p/24!.

/Fredrik
LL

ISF Certified Swede - there is no shortcut to the perfect image!
post #277 of 2884 Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 AM

Liked: 12
FFrrEEddRRiiKKm you could post some pictures of films after having made this calibration?

- - - - - - - - - - -

An idea of how the projector displays a SD content, then some pictures of Wii playing Excite Truck via Video Composite.

Wii - Excite Truck

Peter
post #278 of 2884 Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM

Just wondering if anyone can let me know a little about the vertical shift of the projector. My basement height is about 8 feet high and I would like to have about a 120 inch screen if possible and the bottom of the screen about 2.5 feet off the ground. Is it possible to have this kind of setup with this projector?? If not what is the largest screen that I could have with the sealing height??
post #279 of 2884 Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Plus the vertical shift will raise or lower the image by 3.5" on my 106" diag screen.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #280 of 2884 Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmrinaldi View Post

I am in the market to upgrade my Optoma 739.

Me too, but I am thinking of the HD71 instead. If you upgrade, I'd be very interested in the comparison with the 739. I too, have had great service from my 739 - made me a big fan of Optoma.

Obsession in moderation
post #281 of 2884 Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yep some machines in all groups can give problems, thx for the warranties. But overall many a very many are just fine. Personally I haven't had hardly any that gave me a hard time. I have to say these new very low priced 720p machines with the RGBCYM colorwheels are the tops in in your face video. I think there's going to be a huge amount of happy customers with these machines. Count me in the the group, I plan on buying / owning the HD71, it's a killer machine for scraps of dough.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #282 of 2884 Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 AM

Okay, I am starting to love this projector. I am watching Back 2 the Future right now. SD_DVD with Toshiba a3 over component (480p). If I didn't know any better, you could tell me it was HD DVD and not only I would be impressed I wouldn't doubt the claim. The distant backgrounds are a bit soft, but for the most part...

HUBBA HUBBA!!!

Who needs HD when this looks so good!

And BTW
Tom,
Thanks for all of your support and help. It's people like you that keep this hobby fun for the average joe that really needs the help.
post #283 of 2884 Old 02-18-2008, 03:23 PM

I need help.

Today I bought the cable Video Component for the Wii and the Wii set to 480p.

In all games presented the problem of the "hand shake".

Someone could help me? Please.

Even with the source lock on, the problem persists.

In Wii Sports, when I would Strike, the screen goes blue and after a few seconds it returns to normal.

If I set the Wii for 480i, the problem does not appear, but the sharpness is damaged. The signal of 480p Wii is better. More clear.

Peter
post #284 of 2884 Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM

hi guys, im thinking of getting a HD65, but the probelm is, i can only fit in a 68" screen size, but the throw distance is abt 15 feetaway... is it possible ?
post #285 of 2884 Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 PM

From 15' the HD65 will throw a 128" (+or-5") image. I don't think this projector will work for you.

Check the throw calculator here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD65.htm
post #286 of 2884 Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 PM

yeah, i checked on the calculator as well, so my screen is fixed @ 128" if i wanna do a 15' throw range? cant it be minimised?

im new to projector, thanks for the patience
post #287 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Yost View Post

Umm .. there is no filament. These machines have short-arc lamps (invented by Philips). The bulbs are still VERY vulnerable when hot, tho. That's why the very short cooldown (with the lamp still lit!) on shutdown concerns me.

It has been found that extending the cool down until the lamp is room temp is actually cooling the lamp too quickly from the high temp and pressure state it is in while running and leads to micro-fractures in the lamp and a premature failure. A short cool down period will move enough heat out to protect the PJ but allow the lamp to cool naturally. Infocus found this to be happening on their PJs and started advising owners to just cut the power when they were done watching rather than run the cool down fan for several minutes. Scan the X1 and SP4805 threads and you will find owners who do just that and have had no problems.
post #288 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poki View Post

yeah, i checked on the calculator as well, so my screen is fixed @ 128" if i wanna do a 15' throw range? cant it be minimised?

im new to projector, thanks for the patience

The zoom on the HD65 is somewhat limited. At 15 feet you get a range of 122" to 134". The zoom on the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 is much larger in comparison. At 15 feet the zoom gives you a range of 144" all the way down to... 68".
post #289 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

It has been found that extending the cool down until the lamp is room temp is actually cooling the lamp too quickly from the high temp and pressure state it is in while running and leads to micro-fractures in the lamp and a premature failure. A short cool down period will move enough heat out to protect the PJ but allow the lamp to cool naturally. Infocus found this to be happening on their PJs and started advising owners to just cut the power when they were done watching rather than run the cool down fan for several minutes. Scan the X1 and SP4805 threads and you will find owners who do just that and have had no problems.

great info - thanks
Since you know about these lamps can you tell us how much time should go by for a restart? It was mentioned 8 hours here but I assume that is too long.
post #290 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiwi View Post

great info - thanks
Since you know about these lamps can you tell us how much time should go by for a restart? It was mentioned 8 hours here but I assume that is too long.

Your user manual should have this but usually it is 20 to 30 minutes.
post #291 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Can somebody say which is better HDMI or Component for this projector when connecting it to a PC with good graphics card.

I plan to buy one of the 20 footers from monoprice. I cannot decide?
HDMI is costlier than component. But is the price difference worth it?
Please help.
post #292 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Component does look great but HDMI/DVI has always been better.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #293 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM

@reconlabtech, thanks for the info, but how much is the epson selling for?

thru the projector calculator, it seems tat my throw distance will need ambience lighting or less gain, how do i reduce the gain from the screen?
post #294 of 2884 Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM

I have wanted to get a projector for a number of years, but with everything always changing and advancing I never felt comfortable spending a couple of grand on one. Then I decided to just lower my budget to under a thousand just to get my feet wet and then not feel so bad if I trade up in a year or two. Reading this thread made me decide to take the plunge with the HD65. I had a 12% off one item coupon for BB and picked one up on Monday. Tuesday was my b-day and I ended the evening with setting up the projector. I love it and that's with it connected to my old pioneer 480I DVD player and projecting the image on white wall. The wife was also quite surprised by how bright the image is. I'm sitting here right now watching "Poseidon." My sincere thanks to all. I am looking for any suggestions where to order an extra bulb?

Decided to hook up the HD player. Wow! Just got done watching King Kong and it looked pretty darn good. I'm very pleased.
post #295 of 2884 Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza View Post

I have wanted to get a projector for a number of years, but with everything always changing and advancing I never felt comfortable spending a couple of grand on one. Then I decided to just lower my budget to under a thousand just to get my feet wet and then not feel so bad if I trade up in a year or two. Reading this thread made me decide to take the plunge with the HD65. I had a 12% off one item coupon for BB and picked one up on Monday. Tuesday was my b-day and I ended the evening with setting up the projector. I love it and that's with it connected to my old pioneer 480I DVD player and projecting the image on white wall. The wife was also quite surprised by how bright the image is. I'm sitting here right now watching "Poseidon." My sincere thanks to all. I am looking for any suggestions where to order an extra bulb?

Decided to hook up the HD player. Wow! Just got done watching King Kong and it looked pretty darn good. I'm very pleased.

should have gotten bestbuys 4year extended warranty for a couple hundred bucks extra. it includes free bulb replacement and then also covers your projector. i, just last week, took my hd70 in for service cause it was messed up. i ended up getting to upgrade to the hd65 and didn't cost me a cent. unless replacement bulbs have come down in price, the extended warranty will likely cost less than your first replacement bulb. just my .02, enjoy your new pj!

God Bless America
Guy
post #296 of 2884 Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremacyug View Post

should have gotten bestbuys 4year extended warranty for a couple hundred bucks extra. it includes free bulb replacement and then also covers your projector. i, just last week, took my hd70 in for service cause it was messed up. i ended up getting to upgrade to the hd65 and didn't cost me a cent. unless replacement bulbs have come down in price, the extended warranty will likely cost less than your first replacement bulb. just my .02, enjoy your new pj!

They'll probably send me a warranty offer in the mail. It's certainly something to consider. Thanks for the info!
post #297 of 2884 Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza View Post

I had some pretty boring projectors starting out, pretty good for you to start off the this one.
enjoy it

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #298 of 2884 Old 02-20-2008, 07:39 PM

is this projector compatible to use with those anamorphic lens?
post #299 of 2884 Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes it is compatible for constant height setups. Letterbox raises the image and the lens expands it out to fill a CH screen. About all the Optoma projectors do this, except for the dinosaurs.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #300 of 2884 Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 PM

thanks.. anyone here actually pairing the HD65 with anamorphic lens?
would relly like to see the effect
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd65 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page