Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2884 Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"set it to bright, it "burns" the problem away"

Sounds like they're saying it could juice up the bulb or circuitry to be more stable. Run it in bright for a few sessions, see what happens. Clean power test is good also.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2884 Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Liked: 10
I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
post #363 of 2884 Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have experienced something with my H31 that I would describe as a slight flicker. It only happens when I'm using the composite input (I run the output of my VCR into my projector, and use the VCR as a tv tuner). Never figured out what caused it. Seems to be there on some channels, not on others. And then sometimes it will happen on channels that didn't have the problem, and stop happening on channels that did. It's pretty random. But I never saw it on the other inputs, so I don't think mine is a bulb issue.
post #364 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 AM

So much information and so little time to absorb everything!

A big thanks to all the input from everyone.

Guitarman I have the same question as another board member asked earlier. If we're using a digital input (in my case HDMI) say from a Toshiba HD DVD player or a PS3, how do we change the color setting to match what you have?
post #365 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 01:47 AM

For Canadian buyers looking to get a good deal on the HD65 or wanting to do a price match/beat with BB, here's a link to an authorized retailer (as found on Optoma's website).

I just picked up my HD640 w/ the free screen from Costco today.
post #366 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

So much information and so little time to absorb everything!

A big thanks to all the input from everyone.

Guitarman I have the same question as another board member asked earlier. If we're using a digital input (in my case HDMI) say from a Toshiba HD DVD player or a PS3, how do we change the color setting to match what you have?

First choose colorspace auto in the menu all the other adjusments like advanced adjustments are there in the user menu.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #367 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

First choose colorspace auto in the menu all the other adjusments like advanced adjustments are there in the user menu.

Hey,

I just tried that, but that still doesn't bring in the "color" option. I do see "BrilliantColor" though.
post #368 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM

>I just picked up my HD640 w/ the free screen from Costco today.

Ah ha! So they do have them after all. I guess they removed them from their website. Wonder why??
post #369 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Just wondering from other buyers from the Big C what they think of the panoview screen that comes with the HD640. This is my first projector and for what I paid didn't expect it to be amazing but figured the black levels would be better because it's a DLP. I think there's some loss of color and "pop" to the image in the mid-scenes that are somewhat dark. I put in guitarman's points that he used when calibrating the HD71 and that did help. I was planning on building a black widow diy screen. Will this help my situation??
post #370 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

Hey,

I just tried that, but that still doesn't bring in the "color" option. I do see "BrilliantColor" though.

Digital streams don't get color and tint, you could use the advanced RGB controls, I posted some colorfacts numbers earlier maybe they can help.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #371 of 2884 Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
Now I have confused myself, I am trying to decide between the HD65 and the Epson Home Cinema 720. The epson has the same Lumens as the HD65, but has a 10,000 contrast ratio. Are these two projectors compared some where? They Epson is $300 more, so don't want to spend it, if its not alot better.
post #372 of 2884 Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DLP advantage, much less screen door, much higher ansi contrast, higher real time contrast (no auto iris).

Epson advantage, will get darker for very black scenes so less of a haze to the black detail with auto iris engaged, blacks will get very black. Probably a much better looking machine physically, larger more solid. No rainbow effect.

Both machines are too new for a 1 on 1 review, you'll just have to use the history of the two technologies.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #373 of 2884 Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:

PC is better because when I first tuned to D65k in Video gamma I ended up with a gamma level of 1.91, 2.2 is ideal. I remember Frederrick stating he needed to use PC gamma. He said PC just looked better to him, well he was right PC brought the gamma to 2.11 which is close enough. I viewed the opening scene in Dante's Peak which is great for checking black detail. The scene was perfect, nice and open nothing blotted out.

Your GetGrey brightness and contrast looks right and very close to stock. I think on those I only could go one click down on the brightness.

Great info - I will try and report back.
When you say one click down on brightness you mean instead of -5 goto -6?
So the calibration of HD65 and HD71 is identical - only difference is the brightness. I am sure the HD71 would be too bright for just a 75 inch picture on a GWII even in the lowest brightness set up in a fairly room.
post #374 of 2884 Old 02-29-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You're right about that, no need for a HD71 on a 75" screen. They are about the same machine with the HD71 getting a brighter bulb. Yes just one number down on the brightness. It's very interesting that so many users tried the calibrated numbers and they worked for them. The machines are like clones, plus everybody said the OTB tuning looks perfect and they're right there also. The calibrated numbers are just to get a look at a picture without any brillant color use. Some may like it.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #375 of 2884 Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 AM

Put guitarmans settings on my HD65, calibrated with get gray and to my surprise brightness went to -8 and contrast to +11 (before -5 and +6). Watched "Heat" which is partly a pretty dark movie and saw the improvement. Less artificial and in each new cut and scene the intended tint, color and light came out better. True vivid and brilliant color do alter the movie and kind of standarize the scenes. Intended washed out colors should remain washed out. I am having fun getting as close as possible to the intended directors view.
Since I see once in a while RBE, I noticed hardly any with the above settings - another great improvement - thanks.
Any other ideas to make this little machine even better? Just wondering if the GWII is a good screen for this pj. I know the oppo (971h) pairs very well with the HD65 although the superwide feature is not available on the menu when connecting dvi to hdmi (on other connections it is available).
post #376 of 2884 Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You're welcome, me I prefer white screens any type since comparing to a gray screen. To me they just make white look white. A panoview mat white or Dalite mat white pull down would work, or fixed if you can use it and the extra expense. Mat white is neutral for the colors also.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #377 of 2884 Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 PM

I just picked up this projector the other day. It's my first projector and so far so good. Still setting up the rest of the HT. I found this post when looking for some calibration settings and I had a question. You listed to put the display mode as "cinema" but I was wondering if this should really be "user"? I thought maybe user mode was using the settings but setting it to cinema was using some kind of preset configuration? I don't know so thought I would ask. Anyway, thanks for listing those settings!
post #378 of 2884 Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

First off zero brilliant color, zero True Vivid, and using PC gamma which came closer to 2.2reference gamma.

HDMI/720p
Cinema
contrast -7
Brightness -6
Color 10
Tinit 0
Sharpness 0

Advanced Degamma PC
BC 0
TV 0
CT warm
AI off

RGB gains/bias
RG 0
GG -5
BG -7
RB -1
GB -1
BB 0

Right I just altered the cinema settings. I'm not sure what's laid out in the User start for settings, I suppose you could transpose all the items in these numbers to the User choice also. Not a bad idea because then you could easily go back the the stock cinema choice for sports or TV, good idea.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #379 of 2884 Old 03-01-2008, 04:43 PM

ok I get it. I'll give it a try. Thanks much! I'll probably post up some screenshots when I get a real screen set up.
post #380 of 2884 Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:

You're welcome, me I prefer white screens any type since comparing to a gray screen. To me they just make white look white. A panoview mat white or Dalite mat white pull down would work, or fixed if you can use it and the extra expense. Mat white is neutral for the colors also.

Would be certainly better for the whites to have a true white screen but all my walls are white (not a dedicated room) and therefore I chose that screen. I do watch mainly at night but once in a while I watch sports during the day and a high gain grey screen does help in this. But today with such a high lumens machines (I started with a H31) white might be possible. But I have to say that this pull down GW II screen is flawless with absolutely no wrinkles after over 3 years of usage. Having it hung absolutely level is probably one reason.
Last week I took the pj with me on vacation in a ski lodge and projected on a light green wall an over 200 inch picture. What an eye popping experience for everybody with me. People could not believe what is coming out of such a mini pj. I would have never brought it if it werent for its size. I had temporarly owned the HD7100 (most unreliable piece of electronic equipment I have ever posessed but with a very good picture) which is 3 times its size - what a progress in pj's.
post #381 of 2884 Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Not sure if this belongs here but I'm trying to decide on a DIY screen. Thought I would see what you guys with the same projector might recommend? At first I was gonna try the blackout cloth but have been reading about the other materials. The wilsonart laminate sounded nice but I wasn't sure if this projector was ok to use on that surface. Anyway, what are you all using and what would you recommend for a DIY job?
post #382 of 2884 Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

BO material is similar to Mat White, it should work great.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #383 of 2884 Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM

thanks guitarman. It sounds pretty good so far. I hope to finalize my decision soon and get something put together this weekend.
post #384 of 2884 Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeojitsu View Post

Hi Tom, thanks for the response.

AI is definitely off, and this flicker is not on a scene change. I will pause the display and can still observe the flicker. I've heard of this problem with the HD70 and I've heard people say that if you set it to bright, it "burns" the problem away, whatever that means. Either way, I'm going to switch electrical outlets to see if that helps (that's what the Optoma guy told me to try).

Same thing happened to me and my Infocu 4805. An Infocus rep that use to be here on the boards said that it's caused when the lamp doesn't strike properly, especially if the projector was set in a low power mode. Something about unstable current at that low power mode I think. He always recommended running in high power mode as well, and whenever I saw a flicker I'd run in high power for a day or two and the problem would go away.

Sounds like it's an issue that happens across the spectrum.
post #385 of 2884 Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks for sharing those setting Tom, they were a big help to me and pretty much spot on IMO, except for the fact that I raised Brightness to -2 to gain a little more shadow detail. Its a very good starting point(if not almost spot on for my taste) for anyone who just picked up one of these. . Thanks again.
post #386 of 2884 Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Very welcome and another that the settings work for, I'll tell you these new guys are clones to each other. Never before did so many find another calibrators settings work for them.
enjoy

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #387 of 2884 Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM

After lot of thinking and pondering over i decided to make a custom mount for my projector. I chose a glass shelf with 2 brackets for the aesthetic appeal. I had it made by a hardware shop guy. I am back to India right now from US. It costed me INR 250 only (around 6 USD.)

I am currently running a 25 ft HDMI cable to my PC.

I have posted some pics.

Thanks a lot everybody for your suggestions and i am very happy with my purchase!
LL
LL
post #388 of 2884 Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does it benifit a PJ to always strike it in high power then turn it to low power to leave on, but right before you turn it off back to high power so it will strike in high power when it starts? is this a benefit or no just a waist of time? I alway thought low power was better for bulb life, including striking in low power.
post #389 of 2884 Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 AM

Can I use adapter RGB/Scart & component YPbPr together with this projecor?
post #390 of 2884 Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 AM

Just curious if anyone here has replaced an H31 with the H65. I need to know if the throw is similar since I can't move my projector mount.

Also, I've been using the H31 (in bright mode) to fill a 126" screen. I'd love to have a 720p projector that is brighter. I've been able to get by with such a big screen because my theater has a black ceiling, dark purple walls, and dark carpet, but at times I crave a brighter picture (with still good black levels).

Blacks are more important to me than anything. I have an IF 4805 in my bedroom with a 92" screen, and though it is brighter the black levels are unsatisfying; part of that is the room which has a white ceiling and light colored walls, of course.

Finally, I had no idea that the H65 was brighter than the Mitsubishi HC1500. That is the projector I've been leaning toward getting, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure that the H65 might not be perfect for my needs.

Also, I have a 12' wide 2:1 aspect outdoor screen that I would occasionally use it with.

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd65 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page