post #631 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Try checking signal lock in the menu's.

I had already tried that. I had also gone into the advanced menu for signal choices and removed all sources that were not component. None of that helped. I guess my next step is to remove the component switch box from the equation. *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
It's worth a shot but it's odd analog connections are dropping off, we usually save that for digital connections.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #633 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Hi

First time projector user here, I have the projector currently on a table about 10ft away from the wall and the picture is superb, it is a white wallpaper lined wall and I think it is good enough to not need a dedicated screen in the near future.

I want now to ceiling mount (as flush as possible with no pole) it above where it currently is, I understand that ceiling mounting will mean there is at least a foots gap from the ceiling to the top of the image. I assume I can adjust the projector, pointing it slightly upwards to elimanate this but my question is one of keystone. Being so close to the ceiling will I have to use keystone adjustment to compensate or will the image be rectangle enough as it is? Testing the keystone adjustments I found the image was horribly blurred and best if not used.

I cant test the projector on the ceiling as the leads are not long enough and reading through this thread there are some people with far more knowledge than I have.
post #634 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph B View Post

...the picture "breaks up" just about every time an explosion results in a lot of bright light in the picture area...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=996855

I found the only way to solve this problem was changing 480i to 480p.

The Optoma not answered me about it.

Peter
post #635 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Optoma HD65
76" Wide
HTPC via HDMI
720p

Desktop

Assassins Creed

Peter
post #636 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Optoma HD65
76" Wide
HTPC via HDMI
720p

TestDrive Unlimited

Peter
post #637 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Optoma HD65
76" Wide
HTPC via HDMI
720p

TestDrive Unlimited

Peter
post #638 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:28 PM

You do have to have picture and sound, so what dvd players and recievers are you using? (I'm not going to buy a PS3 because I don't want to play games, I just want to watch movies!) Thanks
post #639 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM

PS3 can be used as Media Center.

Peter.
post #640 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 06:59 PM

OK Peter, next dumb question, Does the PS3 have a built in sound system?
post #641 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post

Peter

Interesting, I'm testing the EP1691 for Optoma right now and found 480i from my cable box produced combing (missing video lines). Changing the cable box to 480p fixed the problem. I'll talk to their engineer about this next week. These are similar projectors. The EP1691 uses it's own colorwheel which is RGBYW which gives it the 2700 lumens I registered.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #642 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM

First of all, reading through these forums has been very helpful. i want to thank everyone for their posts and info.

ok, to the point - I am in the market for a projector (this will be my 1st), and, have had my eye on the optoma HD65. After reading all of the good reviews it has been getting, there is :almost" no doubt in my mind that the optoma HD65 will be the projector I purchase.

Here is my concern - I am reading that in econo mode, you get 3,000 hours lamp life, and 2,000 hours in standard mode. Does anyone know how accurate this info is? i mean, I am not expecting it to be to the minute when reporting lamp life, but, has anyone had (or heard of someone having) a bad experience with bulb life of this model?

2 months ago, i was told by a Circuit City sales person that the extended warranty covers replacement bulbs. Now, i went to the store today (Saturday April 19th 2008), and, the salesman tells me they only will replace 1 bulb, but, if you do need a 2nd Bulb, Circuit City will decide if you should have one. here is the info of their extended warranty:

"Your Contract covers one lamp replacement per Contract term, and such lamp replacement coverage may or may not be renewed at Circuit City's discretion"

I honestly dont know how to take that. Anyone have any comments on that as well?

I am just very nervous because this is a big purchase for me, and, I want to make sure I am getting something well worth the money. My use for this projector will be for watching movies either through my PC or DVD player. most likely, i will be using a PC as my video source.

Any help anyone can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.

Gary
post #643 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 PM

The Optoma HD65 is my first projector and I am very happy with it.

Excellent sharpness, color and has a pleasant visual.

It is very likely that the bulb lasts at least 3 years of use.

Peter.
post #644 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post

Peter

Peter:

The image loss depicted in your YouTube video is *exactly* what I'm seeing right now with my setup!

I'm having this problem, though, with both my 1080i HD cable and 480p SD-DVD signals through component. The component connections for both devices are running through a Radio Shack component switch box. (This arrangement worked fine with my Infocus 4805 projector.) I was too tired tonight to remove the switch box, but will try that tomorrow.
post #645 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_Falzone View Post

First of all, reading through these forums has been very helpful. i want to thank everyone for their posts and info.

ok, to the point - I am in the market for a projector (this will be my 1st), and, have had my eye on the optoma HD65. After reading all of the good reviews it has been getting, there is :almost" no doubt in my mind that the optoma HD65 will be the projector I purchase.

Here is my concern - I am reading that in econo mode, you get 3,000 hours lamp life, and 2,000 hours in standard mode. Does anyone know how accurate this info is? i mean, I am not expecting it to be to the minute when reporting lamp life, but, has anyone had (or heard of someone having) a bad experience with bulb life of this model?

2 months ago, i was told by a Circuit City sales person that the extended warranty covers replacement bulbs. Now, i went to the store today (Saturday April 19th 2008), and, the salesman tells me they only will replace 1 bulb, but, if you do need a 2nd Bulb, Circuit City will decide if you should have one. here is the info of their extended warranty:

"Your Contract covers one lamp replacement per Contract term, and such lamp replacement coverage may or may not be renewed at Circuit City's discretion"

I honestly dont know how to take that. Anyone have any comments on that as well?

I am just very nervous because this is a big purchase for me, and, I want to make sure I am getting something well worth the money. My use for this projector will be for watching movies either through my PC or DVD player. most likely, i will be using a PC as my video source.

Any help anyone can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.

Gary

Gary:

Bulb life will depend a lot on the way the projector is used. In general you will get 3000 hours as long as you wait for *at least* a half hour after turning the projector off before turning it back on again. (This is based on my experience with my old IN 4805 projector. The HD65 is a new model so nobody really has much experience with how bulbs will hold up in the unit. The Optoma engineers have had years to study typical bulb use by consumers, though, so I suspect that a high percentage of the bulbs will conform to specs.)

Since you'll be using the projector almost exclusively for movie use, you'll probably be able to go longer than two years on a bulb. So two bulbs should easily get you through a four year period. After that, you'll be ready for a new projector.
post #646 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph B View Post

Gary:

Bulb life will depend a lot on the way the projector is used. In general you will get 3000 hours as long as you wait for *at least* a half hour after turning the projector off before turning it back on again. (This is based on my experience with my old IN 4805 projector. The HD65 is a new model so nobody really has much experience with how bulbs will hold up in the unit. The Optoma engineers have had years to study typical bulb use by consumers, though, so I suspect that a high percentage of the bulbs will conform to specs.)

Since you'll be using the projector almost exclusively for movie use, you'll probably be able to go longer than two years on a bulb. So two bulbs should easily get you through a four year period. After that, you'll be ready for a new projector.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Another question. this may seem like a stupid one though.

I have a rear projection 52" wide screen television. The screen is a 16:9 screen. over a period of time (after watching many 4:3 format movies), my TV has screen burn (2 shadows where the 4:3 black bars should be) from not stretching the picture out . Can projectors have the same things happen to them?
post #647 of 2884 Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your quick reply.

Another question. this may seem like a stupid one though.

I have a rear projection 52" wide screen television. The screen is a 16:9 screen. over a period of time (after watching many 4:3 format movies), my TV has screen burn (2 shadows where the 4:3 black bars should be) from not stretching the picture out . Can projectors have the same things happen to them?

The short answer is NO!

DLP projectors, like the Optoma HD65, will never experience burn-in of any kind since the DLP chip just uses thousands of tiny mirrors controlled by a microprocessor to build the image. LED-based projectors, in theory, could suffer some mild temporary burn-in if a fixed image is left on the screen for many, many hours. Even in this extreme case, though, the "burn-in" effect will fade quickly with regular use of the projector.
post #648 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 AM

ok. And, now , for my final answer before ordering the HD65. I am seeing alot of talk of people noticing rainbows with this projector. Some people complaining so much that they took (are taking) their projector back for a refund.

Can someone describe what rainbows are? or, possibly show me a picture of what the rainbows look like?

Note - Thanks again for all of this help to everyone. I am very glad I found this forum.

Gary
post #649 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:

ok. And, now , for my final answer before ordering the HD65. I am seeing alot of talk of people noticing rainbows with this projector. Some people complaining so much that they took (are taking) their projector back for a refund.

Can someone describe what rainbows are? or, possibly show me a picture of what the rainbows look like?

Note - Thanks again for all of this help to everyone. I am very glad I found this forum.

Gary

RBE (or Rainbow Effect) is the Achilles Heel of the single-chip DLP design. Unlike LED -- which uses three red-green-blue LED chips glued together in a panel -- DLP has to achieve color via the use of a spinning color wheel synchronized with the DLP chip via a microprocessor. The faster the color wheel spins (or the more color segments that it contains) the less likely it is that you will notice spurious flashes of color caused by the color wheel. The HD65 utilizes a 4x speed color wheel with a new design that -- in combination with the new onboard color circuitry -- enhances the colors that the projector produces, allowing them to seem more vibrant. That factor, in combination with the high lumen output of the projector, may produce more of the Rainbow Effect for those individuals that are hyper-sensitive to the effect. In actuality, a 4x speed color wheel should just about eliminate RBE for most of the population.

Will you see "Rainbows" with this projector? Only you can answer that question. For me, I can only detect an occasional "rainbow" when viewing a projector with a 2x speed wheel. So it's just about impossible for me to see them from a 4x wheel projector.
post #650 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM

"Sync Issue" with the HD65:

For any of you who were wondering, I "solved" my sync issue through the component switcher by changing the DVD output to 480i and the HD cable output to 720p. This works, but I would much prefer to run the DVD player via progressive scan. Perhaps a firmware update is in order to fix the problem?

Of course, it won't be too much longer before I'll be plugging a Blu-ray player into the HDMI input, so this problem will probably become moot at that point.
post #651 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gary

I notice rainbows, more than most people, however I don't get sick or eye strain from it. The first time I saw a DLP in action (HD65) I did feel bad, but I think it was just me feeling bad in general.

Anyways, do you have a PS3. This is probably the easiest way to tell if you're rainbow sensitive. Hold the PS button on the controller until the system shutoff menu comes up. Don't move your head, just dart your eyes up and down and side to side. Do you see rainbows? If so, you're sensitive, if not, lucky you. You'll never be a good hunter though.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #652 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

I notice rainbows, more than most people, however I don't get sick or eye strain from it. The first time I saw a DLP in action (HD65) I did feel bad, but I think it was just me feeling bad in general.

Anyways, do you have a PS3. This is probably the easiest way to tell if you're rainbow sensitive. Hold the PS button on the controller until the system shutoff menu comes up. Don't move your head, just dart your eyes up and down and side to side. Do you see rainbows? If so, you're sensitive, if not, lucky you. You'll never be a good hunter though.

lol...No, I dont have a PS3. I think my question is more like what the rainbows look like more than the question of what causes them.

For example, are the rainbows around the edges of a persons face on the screen? Are they in dark scenes? Do you notic them when scenes switch? Is there a rainbow effect across the entire viewing area that doesn't go away?...etc..etc

See what i mean? I just dont know where you see these rainbows.

Another thing, I get motion sickness if playing games on the PC and on my xbox, so, I stay away from gaming (unless it is very low action like golf or tennis). Does that mean the rainbows will cause motion sickness?
post #653 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I think my question is more like what the rainbows look like more than the question of what causes them.

I don't see rainbows, meaning I can't attest to the usefulness and/or accuracy of the following links. In other words, the links are squarely in the "fwiw" category...

Simulated example of rainbow effect:
http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

Video clip of rainbow effect (note that this is not how people normally watch movies ):
ftp://ftp.extremetech.com/pub/extrem...ainbowClip.wmv

Test to see if you're susceptible:
http://www.ausmedia.com.au/rainbow_test.htm

Also fwiw, I've been told by some that rainbows are actually more akin to flashes of light to their eyes, w/ nothing resembling an actual rainbow in nature that has delineated bands of color. So maybe rainbow effect manifests itself differently to different sets of eyes.

Oh, one other thing I've been told is to *not* go looking for them. Some people that are on the borderline of susceptibility have said they never used to see them until they looked for them, but now that they've found them, they can't stop seeing them. (At the other end of the spectrum, though, some say their brains apparently simply got used to them and they either don't see them anymore at all or, in any event, aren't bothered by them anymore.)
post #654 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclampit View Post

I don't see rainbows, meaning I can't attest to the usefulness and/or accuracy of the following links. In other words, the links are squarely in the "fwiw" category...

Simulated example of rainbow effect:
http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

Video clip of rainbow effect (note that this is not how people normally watch movies ):
ftp://ftp.extremetech.com/pub/extrem...ainbowClip.wmv

Also fwiw, I've been told by some that rainbows are actually more akin to flashes of light to their eyes, w/ nothing resembling an actual rainbow in nature that has delineated bands of color. So maybe rainbow effect manifests itself differently to different sets of eyes.

Oh, one other thing I've been told is to *not* go looking for them. Some people that are on the borderline of susceptibility have said they never used to see them until they looked for them, but now that they've found them, they can't stop seeing them. (At the other end of the spectrum, though, some say their brains apparently simply got used to them and they either don't see them anymore at all or, in any event, aren't bothered by them anymore.)

jclampit, thank you for your quick and detailed explanation. I ran the test to see if I'm susceptible to rainbow effect and didn't see any at all. The movement of following the objects was making me a bit nauseous, but, I think that was from the movement of the objects themselves and not any rainbow effect that I was able to see. Or, wait, does that mean ( the nauseous feeling) I am susceptible to rainbow effect?
post #655 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I ran the test to see if I'm susceptible to rainbow effect and didn't see any at all.

It would be interesting to see if someone who *is* susceptible sees them w/ that test. It could be an utterly worthless test.

Truthfully, though, I wouldn't expect you to be able to see them. Never in my life, not even once, have I actually met someone who sees rainbows. That includes, I'd guess, about 200 people that either have projectors or have watched stuff on mine. (Though I suppose it's possible that they saw them but weren't bothered enough to mention them or even ask, "what was that, did you see that?"...)

I know they're out there, though, since message boards like this one are full of people who *do* see them. But the truth, imho, is that most people simply aren't susceptible - and odds are you're not either. (Still, it would probably be worth looking at a DLP setup in person as a test. That's what I did before I bought my first projector.)
post #656 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM

Many people suffer RBE because they sit too close to the screen. This means that your eyes must dart back and forth to view all of the action. Simply moving your seating position back a bit will often resolve the issue.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." William J.H. Boetcker
post #657 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 AM

I'm absolutely torn between the HD65 & Mitsubishi HC1500.
post #658 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Ok. I want to thank everyone for their quick and helpful replies. I have read all 23 pages of this topic , and, after finishing, I think I am going to bite the bullet and drive to Circuit City and buy 1 (They have the HD65 in stock now).

As far as getting to see this projector in action, i dont have that luxury. The Best Buy and Circuit City here dont have any hooked up to show me the quality, so, I am going to go by what i read here in this forum. From what people are saying, I think I should be fine though.

When i get this home today or tomorrow (this is too embarrassing to even mention, but , here goes), I am going to be placing it on a folding table in my living room and hanging a white sheet from the ceiling to show my movies. This (of course) will not be my permanent setup as eventually I will get a screen for it, and, when I move, I want to mount it on the ceiling. But, can I expect the quality to still be fairly decent (once the rooms is dark)?

My source of input to the projector (for now) is going to be a PC. In the current living arrangements I have, using the PC for my DVD player will be about the most convenient.

I have a choice of a Windows Machine with a Radeon 9500 VGA/DVI video card, or, an iMac (Core 2 DUO intel). here is the info on the iMac video:

ATI Radeon X1600:
Chipset Model:ATY,RadeonX1600
VRAM (Total):128 MB
Max Res 1680X1050

So, my setup wont be grand (as of yet..my wife and I will be eventually buying a home, but, I have waited so long for a projector, that it's killing me.) I just want to get something that will work on table top, then, when i move, I can eventually mount it. I dunno. am I asking for too much from this model?
post #659 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclampit View Post

)

I'm heavily rainbow sensitive. I didn't see anything there. That test doesn't work for me. The 2nd clip with the videos is an extreme example of rainbows. It's never that bad, but if I dart my eyes for the hell of it, I can make it look that bad.

Rainbows I believe is basically your eyes moving faster than the color wheel can produce the right color. If you're a good hunter with a great eye for picking up objects in your sight, a great PC 1st person shooter gamer, you are likely to see Rainbows. It would be interesting if TI took a 4x DLP to the Marine Sniper units, or to Pro Race car drivers and have them watch a movie. I suspect 1/2 of them of them will be rainbow sensitive.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #660 of 2884 Old 04-20-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jclampit, thank you for your quick and detailed explanation. I ran the test to see if I'm susceptible to rainbow effect and didn't see any at all. The movement of following the objects was making me a bit nauseous, but, I think that was from the movement of the objects themselves and not any rainbow effect that I was able to see. Or, wait, does that mean ( the nauseous feeling) I am susceptible to rainbow effect?

That test is not going to show whether you are susceptible to rainbows unless you are watching it on a DLP system. Just watching it on an LCD or CRT computer monitor will not tell you a thing.

You will typically notice rainbows on DLPs in scenes that are generally dark but have a bright light source, for example, a dark room with a candle. In those situations, most people see them as they move their eyes across the screen, looking from one area to another and they appear as red, green, and blue streaks. I don't characterize them as flashes per se since it is not like projecting a full field (i.e., screen) of red, then green, then blue, it is more akin to the ghosting you used to see in OTA television sets, but it is not constant.

I strongly suggest you audition a few DLPs or purchase from somewhere that you can return the projector with no restocking fees if you have never experienced DLP.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd65 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page