looking for a Panasonic PT-AE900U Service Manual - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 04-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gotta say this thread is great. I had noise that definitely wasn't a fan, but not the classic rattle either. More of an obnoxious warble that got progressively worse. I was bummed about the cost of repair and more bummed at being without my projector for a couple of weeks.

Bought the replacement iris as per the helpful part number in this thread and replaced it myself. It was slow going since I didn't have a manual, but it went without a hitch. I have experience repairing Apple laptops, so I wasn't too intimidated, but it was definitely a puzzle figuring out which modules to remove first. It was worth it though. My projector is whisper quiet again.

Between this repair and the replacement bulb it's like i have a brand new projector.

Upstairs: Epson 8500UB | Onkyo TX-SR805 | DVDO Edge | DefTech PowerMonitor 700 | ProCenter 2000 | BP2X | AV123 MFW-15 | Onkyo DV-HD805 | Sony PS3 | Pro-Ject 1Xpression III
Downstairs: Panasonic TC-P60VT60 | Onkyo TX-NR818 | Pioneer SP-FS52 | SP-C22 | SP-B22 | MartinLogan Dynamo | Sony BDP-S5100 | Xbox 360 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good to hear about another satisfied customer.
post #33 of 49 Old 04-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Liked: 12
Now that my iris is working correctly, I ended up disabling it. I don't like watching the delay action of it kicking in and out. I also use the projector for HTPC. When I have Windows showing, the effect of the dynamic iris is in my opinion worse that the added benefit of dynamic range.
post #34 of 49 Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Do you mean A23 or A32? mine says A23 on front plug with blue wires coming out.
post #35 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 AM

I just thought I'd update this thread with a link to the Service Manual.

This little guy was quite a chore to track down. I'm using a hosting service that does not have a time duration, so hopefully this link will stay active and prevent others from going on the same scavenger hunt.

Sorry everyone, this file keeps disappearing from the file hosts I've been using. I guess you get what you don't pay for...
*** NEW LINK (updated February 18, 2009) ***
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zoymq2gxtrw
This link is due to expire in 60 days of no account activity, or 30 days of no downloads. I can't guarantee that I will babysit this file continuously, but if it goes down again, please PM me and I'll be happy to re-host it elsewhere.
post #36 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfast View Post

Do you mean A23 or A32? mine says A23 on front plug with blue wires coming out.

Yes sorry. A23, not A32.
post #37 of 49 Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgf_bean View Post

I've opened my unit and proved it was the dynamic iris servo making all the noise. Since I don't want to send the unit out for repair and loose it for who knows how long (and potentially get a unit back that fails eventually again) I've temporarily "fixed it" by unplugging the servo module and told the system not to use the iris. I have the service manual and unfortunately there isn't a theory of operation for me to troubleshoot if the problem is with the signal coming from the main board which goes to the iris module, or the module itself. Back in the 80's service manuals like for TVs gave a theory of operation along with waveform so a service tech could troubleshoot down to the faulty component.

If you have an AE900U that's noisy most all the time then you probably have a faulty iris and your dynamic control is useless. For those that don't want to send their unit in for repair and are brave enough to go inside, here's how to shut down the iris:

(1) Remove the lens shift lever by unscrewing it and giving a tug. It will pull right out. Be sure to unscrew it enough so you don't strip the threads.

(2) Remove the screws on the bottom. There are little arrows on the chassis bottom pointing to the screw locations.

(3) Remove one screw from the unit back panel. It's the one at the top middle of the panel.

(4) Lift the top cover off the unit.

(5) Locate the main printed circuit board. It's the one that has the 3 fancy ribbon cables connecting each LCD and right over/inline with the lens system. The board has several connectors around its sides. On the front side of that board find a connector in the middle labeled "A23". These connectors can be a bit of a pain to remove without snapping the plastic ends. Although you normally aren't supposed to yank on the wires to remove a connector this is typically the safest way with this type of connector. We use them in stuff we design where I work. So try to grab all the wires on that connector together then pull toward the front of the unit (inline with the wires as they leave the connector) to unplug it from the board. The iris is now unplugged.

(6) Reassemble the unit in the reverse order, of course leaving the iris unplugged.

(7) Turn the unit on and disable the dynamic iris in the system menu. Note: The unit doesn't know the iris is not working so it will not be optimally controlling the LCD. With the iris faulty the dynamic range (contrast ratio) will actually be worse than a system that doesn't use an iris. That's because the electronics is counting on the iris to do part of the job. This is why you must tell the projector to not use the iris so you can regain part of the dynamic range.

Your projector should now be as quiet as when it was new.

Thanks a million for those instructions. After months of annoyance, my machine is dead quiet again.
post #38 of 49 Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 PM

I hate to bump up such an old thread that nobody else probably cares about, but if someone still has the PT-AE900U service manual around that they'd be willing to share, could you send me a PM? Thanks!
post #39 of 49 Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 AM

My PT-AE900U has vertical stripping and when I'm in the menus it changes colors from green to red. All of the posts that I have read mention that I need a new mainboard. Does anyone know the part number for the mainboard on a PT-AE900U? Would really appreciate someones help...I changed out the bulb to see if that would help, but now I have a very bright picture with vertical lines.
post #40 of 49 Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Hello,

It looks like the link above still works for the sevice manual. If for some reason you cannot get it to, PM me I will send it to you. The part # for the mainboard is TXANP01VKB4, it is known as the A P.C. board.
post #41 of 49 Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Hello everyone; I have some news on the striping issue that many are having and I myself had. Yes; I said had.

I WAS ABLE TO REPAIR IT!

It is difficult, but not impossible. It seems the IC's that drive the LCD's get pretty hot. The mainboard has a couple of heat spreaders for this, but they are both about the same size. The problem is the one on the left is supposed to do twice the work of the one on the right since it has to cool 2 of the three chips.

It seems that it will actually get so hot it will reflow itself. (Yes; our projectors have the Xbox 360 problem) When it does, it will usually cause a short on one of the pins and that will in turn cause some kind of low voltage condition on one of the control lines. You would end up seeing either vertical lines of missing color or very low levels on one color. It seems the green IC is most often affected from what I have seen reported. Another symptom is the shorted pin will cause the chip to get even HOTTER than usual -- if you feel the heat spreader while the projector is operating you will notice its way too hot to touch -- not good!

So if you haven't burned up your IC yet running your projector like this, you might be able to repair it provided you can do a bit of surface mount rework. The IC's are 80 pin LQFP's and at least on mine it was very easy to identify the problem area. I cleaned it up and it worked first time, good as new.

Now I just have to replace the noisy iris and this baby is back in business! I am going to glue some additional metal onto the heat spreaders with some thermal adhesive as well to hopefully keep this problem from happening again.
post #42 of 49 Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 AM

There is a solution for the noisy iris posted on this thread where the poster fixed the iris with a drop of oil...
avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15961510

Having opened up the projector to attempt this, I don't know how to remove the APC board block (as per 6.10 / 6.3 of the service manual) because I don't know how to disconnect all the cables attached to it. Should these cables be removed simply by pulling gently on them?

Here is the service manual for anyone that needs it: home.orange.nl/rdls/AE900_servicemanual.pdf
post #43 of 49 Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM

I followed wgf_bean's instructions and it worked like a charm. I suppose there is some loss in dynamic range without dynamic iris control but the difference can't be too significant because the picture still looks great. Now the projector is as quiet as ever which makes me happy.

I still may try oiling the iris control pivot and reconnecting it at some point if i figure out how to safely disconnect those little cables but i'm not sure it's worth the risk of damaging them.

Thanks WGF_BEAN for your excellent instructions.
post #44 of 49 Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM

I am, I believe, having this iris problem - constant, almost "failing fan"-like sound, but the service menu says all the fans are fine... I am planning to simply disable the servo (as mentioned above), especially since I have never liked seeing the iris adjust itself. My question is whether anyone noticed a brightness shift associated with the failure/disabling/replacement of the servo. On my machine the commencement of the noise coincided with a noticeable loss of brightness. I replaced the bulb, to no avail. So I guess I am hoping that disabling the servo will get the iris wide open/maximum bright again. Thoughts?
thanks

*UPDATE*
Went in and unplugged the iris, as described above. fixed the noise but picture still dark. I think this is because the iris is stuck in whatever position it was in when it failed. I'm curious if anyone could speak to whether the iris can be opened/closed manually, and how much of a PIMA this would be, i.e., would it be any easier than just replacing the iris straight up.
post #45 of 49 Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Gork, I owe you at least one beer!

If anyone else has issues with vertical striping - normally dark pink lines if the green LCD is at fault, then it's just a matter of removing the heat spreaders off the APC, checking the IC solder joints and very very carefully separating them if they have joined together.
From now on I'll be running the fan at Max to reduce the chance of a repeat...
post #46 of 49 Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Success. I put some high quality sewing machine oil on the end of a clean bamboo skewer. With a few applications I could see that the oil penetrated the bearing area. If you push against the arm very gently with the other end of the skewer, you will pivot the arm around the surface you just lubricated. It's easy to find this surface if you follow the servo wires off the main circuit board (described elsewhere in this thread).

Next, turn the unit over and pull the lamp. You will expose another surface that needs lub. It will be obvious because you will see the same color plastic arm as you did from the top looking down near the main circuit board. Again, use the long bamboo skewer to turn the arm around the surface between micro applications of the lubricant.

In both cases I dried the excess using a Q-tip which easily absorbs the oil.

I am sure there are more elegant ways, but this worked fine.

Caveats: it remains to be seen that the oil does not gum up over time, especially in the hot projector environment. Time will tell.
post #47 of 49 Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM

My 900 is having issues and will try disabling "A23"to see if it is the Iris. If it is then I will order a replacement. Thanks for this thread and all who contributed to it.
post #48 of 49 Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM

I also thought it was the fan!
I followed "wgf_bean's" instructions, and then from the menu disabled the Iris and reset my lamp timer. My lamp had about 4800 hours on it of mixed high and low before my 2005 AE900U began displaying "Change Lamp" and shutting it self down. It is now working again. Cannot say how bright the picture is but its still plenty bright enough for me. Thank you wgf_bean for figuring out and posting clear instructions.
post #49 of 49 Old 08-13-2014, 12:55 AM

Liked: 0
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page