looking for a Panasonic PT-AE900U Service Manual - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, the title says it all. I am looking for a service manual for the Panasonic PT-AE900U. Eserviceinfo.com has it but the file is corrupt. I've seen a few posts here that link to it but the links are no longer valid. I have searched on google and a good (free) copy is nowhere to be found. Could someone please either send it to me or point me where i can get it?

Thanks in advance
dp19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-01-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp19 View Post

Well, the title says it all. I am looking for a service manual for the Panasonic PT-AE900U. Eserviceinfo.com has it but the file is corrupt. I've seen a few posts here that link to it but the links are no longer valid. I have searched on google and a good (free) copy is nowhere to be found. Could someone please either send it to me or point me where i can get it?

Thanks in advance
dp19

Good luck.
Digital is so disposable I doubt even the factory fusses with repairs. If they can't swap out a board/sub assembly it's probably a tosser. Forget about any effort at component level repairs.
post #3 of 49 Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

1200$ on a 200 model will make sense. No comparison on the image.
post #4 of 49 Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

The projector is not completely dead, but it's starting to have a flicker problem and has a fair amount of dust inside. I'd also like to have a better explanation of the service menus. I often do electronics repair and I like to have the service manuals for my own equipments so that when repair is required, I don't have to start hunting for one.
post #5 of 49 Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp19 View Post

The projector is not completely dead, but it's starting to have a flicker problem and has a fair amount of dust inside. I'd also like to have a better explanation of the service menus. I often do electronics repair and I like to have the service manuals for my own equipments so that when repair is required, I don't have to start hunting for one.

If you give me an e-mail address I could send you the service manual (pdf with rar compression = 6.04Mb)
Fernando
post #6 of 49 Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Fernando, I just sent you a "Private Message"
dp19
post #7 of 49 Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Could you please send it again to my other address? I've sent you another PM...

dp19
post #8 of 49 Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 AM

Hi,
I also am struggling with a problem with my AE900. I replaced the bulb at just under 3000 hours last week. The problem is it has gotten really noisy lately. The noise happens when you first power it up. It goes away if you turn the projector off and then turn it back on. We think maybe the fan is dirty?? - not the normal fan whirr noise, but, more like a churning noise.

But I would really really appreciate it, if someone could send me the service manual.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!
- Irene
post #9 of 49 Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 AM

I'm having a lot of noise problems, too.
Is there anywhere to download the manual. It would be great if I could get it via email, too, but I hate to bother you.

Thanks,

-Fred
post #10 of 49 Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Hey, I also PMed you for the service manual. Please let me know if you can help me out!
post #11 of 49 Old 01-30-2008, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Dude!

Just go to panasonic.com - actually http://service.us.panasonic.com and you can do a search and access the pdf service manual file and download it directly and save others time of sending it to you.

It took me like a minute to wade thought their site to support for projectors.
goodluck
post #12 of 49 Old 01-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Panasonic has the service manuals free to download online? I only saw operating manuals.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

Dude!

Just go to panasonic.com - actually http://service.us.panasonic.com and you can do a search and access the pdf service manual file and download it directly and save others time of sending it to you.

It took me like a minute to wade thought their site to support for projectors.
goodluck

I believe the OP asked for the SERVICE manual, not the OPERATOR'S manual. If you have a specific link to the requested manual, I am sure it would be appreciated.
post #14 of 49 Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Liked: 12
I too could use the PT-AE900U service manual.

I have the classic rattle noise many have complained about. My unit is just over 2 years old and it's been rattling for months now. I have the cover off with the unit running and believe I have isolated the problem to one section. It doesn't appear to be any of the fans. There's a wire harness from the main board that leads to the item that I can clearly see is vibration. When I temporarily unplug it, the noise stops and the projector operates noise free, and with the fans still running. This might be the servo for the iris but I need the service manual to confirm. Either way the manual will tell me what this is, and I might come up with a way to repair it.

I'd rather not proceed any further without the service manual (not the operators manual) as it will be much more efficient. If someone can get the manual to me I feel confident I'll determine if this is something that can be fixed by the owner without sending the unit back.
post #15 of 49 Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM

I love my ae900u.

I recently moved my whole system to another room. After I set everything up...I powered up and heard a pop. After significant investigation I found the power and neutral wires in the outlet I plugged into were reversed. Now I get no red in my picture using the component video cables. I'm pretty sure its fixable if I only had the service manual. Please help.
post #16 of 49 Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdeburg View Post

I love my ae900u.

I recently moved my whole system to another room. After I set everything up...I powered up and heard a pop. After significant investigation I found the power and neutral wires in the outlet I plugged into were reversed. Now I get no red in my picture using the component video cables. I'm pretty sure its fixable if I only had the service manual. Please help.

PM (left click on my name, 2nd option) your e-mail address and I could send you the service manual (pdf with rar compression = 6.04Mb)
Fernando
post #17 of 49 Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgf_bean View Post

I too could use the PT-AE900U service manual.

I have the classic rattle noise many have complained about. My unit is just over 2 years old and it's been rattling for months now. I have the cover off with the unit running and believe I have isolated the problem to one section. It doesn't appear to be any of the fans. There's a wire harness from the main board that leads to the item that I can clearly see is vibration. When I temporarily unplug it, the noise stops and the projector operates noise free, and with the fans still running. This might be the servo for the iris but I need the service manual to confirm. Either way the manual will tell me what this is, and I might come up with a way to repair it.

I'd rather not proceed any further without the service manual (not the operators manual) as it will be much more efficient. If someone can get the manual to me I feel confident I'll determine if this is something that can be fixed by the owner without sending the unit back.

I too have the rattling problem. I think its the servo relating to the dynamic iris but I need to determine how to debug it. I assume you simply disconnect it and listen.....

Has anyone with this problem been able to debug it????
post #18 of 49 Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM

Here I am looking for that mysterious "Rattle/Grinding" fix I know must be out there. My 900 has been doing it now for months and just about to break down and send it in to Heartland (Panasonic repair) to get fixed. I would hate spending a couple hundred bucks for a job that may only require a simple tweak.
Help?!
post #19 of 49 Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Same here, mine sounds like there's a couple marbles rattling around in squirrel cage fan. Sometimes it's louder than others, but if it makes any of that noise, it bothers me. If there's a fix, I'd love to hear it. I opened mine up about a month ago, and didn't see anything obvious. Fans all rotated nice and clean. I put it back together and it was quiet for about a week. I didn't have the guts to plug it in and turn it on while open on the kitchen counter!

Unit is just under 2 years old, with about 1800 hrs on it, original bulb.
post #20 of 49 Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM

I've opened my unit and proved it was the dynamic iris servo making all the noise. Since I don't want to send the unit out for repair and loose it for who knows how long (and potentially get a unit back that fails eventually again) I've temporarily "fixed it" by unplugging the servo module and told the system not to use the iris. I have the service manual and unfortunately there isn’t a theory of operation for me to troubleshoot if the problem is with the signal coming from the main board which goes to the iris module, or the module itself. Back in the 80’s service manuals like for TVs gave a theory of operation along with waveform so a service tech could troubleshoot down to the faulty component.

If you have an AE900U that’s noisy most all the time then you probably have a faulty iris and your dynamic control is useless. For those that don’t want to send their unit in for repair and are brave enough to go inside, here’s how to shut down the iris:

(1) Remove the lens shift lever by unscrewing it and giving a tug. It will pull right out. Be sure to unscrew it enough so you don't strip the threads.

(2) Remove the screws on the bottom. There are little arrows on the chassis bottom pointing to the screw locations.

(3) Remove one screw from the unit back panel. It’s the one at the top middle of the panel.

(4) Lift the top cover off the unit.

(5) Locate the main printed circuit board. It’s the one that has the 3 fancy ribbon cables connecting each LCD and right over/inline with the lens system. The board has several connectors around its sides. On the front side of that board find a connector in the middle labeled "A23". These connectors can be a bit of a pain to remove without snapping the plastic ends. Although you normally aren't supposed to yank on the wires to remove a connector this is typically the safest way with this type of connector. We use them in stuff we design where I work. So try to grab all the wires on that connector together then pull toward the front of the unit (inline with the wires as they leave the connector) to unplug it from the board. The iris is now unplugged.

(6) Reassemble the unit in the reverse order, of course leaving the iris unplugged.

(7) Turn the unit on and disable the dynamic iris in the system menu. Note: The unit doesn't know the iris is not working so it will not be optimally controlling the LCD. With the iris faulty the dynamic range (contrast ratio) will actually be worse than a system that doesn't use an iris. That's because the electronics is counting on the iris to do part of the job. This is why you must tell the projector to not use the iris so you can regain part of the dynamic range.

Your projector should now be as quiet as when it was new.
post #21 of 49 Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Hi! ferbal: I sent you an e-mail asking for service manual too.
post #22 of 49 Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM

I took my unit apart, and yes it was the iris unit making noise, it wasn't moving.I just ordered an iris unit from panasonic. I will be getting it tuesday. I will let you guys know if everything works
post #23 of 49 Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt2265 View Post

I took my unit apart, and yes it was the iris unit making noise, it wasn't moving.I just ordered an iris unit from panasonic. I will be getting it tuesday. I will let you guys know if everything works

Didn't know you could order them. I assumed they would only deal with authorized service centers. How much money do they want for it and where do you go through to order it?
post #24 of 49 Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgf_bean View Post

Didn't know you could order them. I assumed they would only deal with authorized service centers. How much money do they want for it and where do you go through to order it?

you can order it directly from panasonic, just go to there site, follow the links to consumer, on the bottom of page, "part", and if you don't have the manual, the part #is TXZEN01VKB4. If you have a problem let me know, and it is very cheap price.
post #25 of 49 Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:

you can order it directly from panasonic, just go to there site, follow the links to consumer, on the bottom of page, "part", and if you don't have the manual, the part #is TXZEN01VKB4. If you have a problem let me know, and it is very cheap price.

Found it, thanks. I'll not order mine until you report on how your replacement goes.
post #26 of 49 Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM

I finally got and installed my new iris. It works perfectly, no more rattling sound. The only problem is you see the iris working. The new iris moves alot smoother than old one. Now I have re-calibrate pan. Not a bad fix for $63.00.
post #27 of 49 Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Great. I just ordered mine.
post #28 of 49 Old 03-19-2008, 05:08 PM

let us know your results.
post #29 of 49 Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I finally got and installed my new iris. It works perfectly, no more rattling sound. The only problem is you see the iris working. The new iris moves alot smoother than old one. Now I have re-calibrate pan. Not a bad fix for $63.00.

I received mine today and got it installed. The only trouble I had was in removing the "analysis case (upper)". Had a hard time getting it out and broke the hold down hook in the process. After I replaced the iris, I fasten down the analysis case at the hook section using two pieces of foil tape on either side of the broken hook. It's not going anywhere.

I understand what you mean now by "moves a lot smoother". My old iris had exactly the same problem. With power off, it wouldn't move freely like the replacement does. Before I got the unit in I wondered if it was the magnet that lost some of it's strength. So for the fun of it I measured the strengths of the old and new magnets and they were pretty close to the same. So the problem appears to be entirely the freedom of rotation of the two shafts. After close examination of the old and new parts they look slightly different on one of the shafts. Probably if I played with it enough I could make the old one move freely again but the new one's installed and all is well again.

I would caution against anyone doing this repair unless you have familiarity with this type of work. If you don't know what you're doing, there are several places you can go astray such as messing up the optics or damaging the delicate connectors.
post #30 of 49 Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Good to hear that it worked ok for you too, but don't feel bad about breaking the latch, I broke mine too
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page