Simple Serial Projector Control for Mits HC3000, HC4900 or any Projector with a RS232 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
UPDATE 06/20/2008: ControlCAL v1.41 Beta 3 is now available! Formerly SSPC - Simple Serial Projector Control (and CalBOY for 1 Day).
http://www.ControlCAL.com

ControlCAL is an easy Control and Calibration Application for Displays supporting a Serial/RS232 interface. ControlCAL will allow you to send any available commands to any Display that allows RS232 control (in 'Advance' Mode). You may need the document that shows the RS232 codes for your specific Display model.

Using ControlCAL's One Page Calibration Screen will allow you easy access to your Display's Calibration Controls... No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control.

With Third party Calibration Applications that control Colorimeters and/or Spectroradiometers and support ControlCAL's API (under development), the entire Display Calibration Process can be automated.

03/26/2008 UPDATE: There is now a Dedicated Forum Thread for the Kuro 8G Pioneer ISF C3 Display Profile(s) HERE

Suggestions and Feedback Welcome!

MS Windows XP/Vista+ Supported. The .NET Framework is not required but DirectX is.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND TIPS FOR MITSUBISHI MODELS IS AVAILABLE IN POST #11.

Help with the options in Edit/Create mode will be in Posts #2-#3 in this thread....

DOWNLOAD HERE:
Download ControlCAL v1.41 Beta 3 or Get More Information

In Development:

v1.41
Dedicated Gamma Controls, 8 Button Controls (2 Additional Buttons in ISFccc Mode), 6 Additional Slider Controls (#13-#18) and Special Pioneer ISFccc Mode* including a matching Display Profile* for Pioneer 8th Generation Elite Kuros (North American and European Models).
*Pioneer ISFccc Modes and Display Profiles are Locked Profiles.

Released Versions:

v1.4 RC1 - 03/05/2008
+NEW ControlCAL Display Profile File Format (.cdp extension).
+Create/Edit/View/Save ControlCAL Display Profiles Option.
+Load Display Profiles created by others.
+You can now toggle between ASCII and HEX Input Modes in the ControlCAL Terminal Window (Advance Mode).
+Internal Serial Command Format Support for many Manufacturers including BenQ, Epson, JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Sony (including Sony Checksum), Sharp and more....
+Internal Support for Mitsubishi HC Series Projectors - Profile can be used as a starting point for Creating a Profile for your Display.
+Many Internal Code Changes...
+More info Coming Soon......
*v1.4 RC1 is a Time Limited Version and will expire on May 31, 2008.

v1.3 - 02/07/2008
+Name Changed to ControlCAL.
+MS Vista Now Supported.
+Several Internal Code Optimizations.
+Fixed Xon/Xoff Flow Control Bug.
+Added 'Donate' Menu Option (Donate via PayPal for ControlCAL's Development).

v1.2 - 01/27/2008
+Added Internal PQ Calibration Control Support for Mitsubishi Projectors (tested on HC3000, HC4900*).
+Added Serial Communication Error Handling
+Several Internal Code Changes.
*HC1500, HC5000 and HC6000 should work as well (and other Mitsubishi Models or Displays that support their Serial Codes).

v1.1 - 01/23/2008
+Added ability to change Port and Parameters.
+Terminal Window is now optional (Advance Mode).
+Polished up the interface.
+Interface ready for Projector specific Control/Calibration Page.
More info in POST #10

v1.0 - 01/14/2008
Original Release.

Here are a few screen shots:

New v1.4 Display Profile Edit/View Option:

"One Page Calibration Screen" for Mitsubishi Projectors (HC1500/HC3000/HC4900/HC5000/HC6000):

ControlCAL Terminal Window (Advance Mode):
Advance Mode Port Monitoring and Send Confirmation not available in Locked Display Profiles.

LL

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 01-14-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HELP - Creating/Editing ControlCAL Display Profiles:

I'm still working on this documentation....

AUTHOR - The Display Profile's Creator's Name. [Optional - 20 Characters Maximum]

DISPLAY INFO - Provide information regarding which Displays are supported by the Profile. [Required - 40 Characters Maximum]

START CODE - HEX Code* required for the Display's Serial Command Format - Refer to your Display's Documentation.

END CODE - HEX Code* required for the Display's Serial Command Format - Refer to your Display's Documentation.

CONTROLS #1 - #12 - Check the Box on the Left of each Control to Enable that Control.
LABEL - Control Description/Label [20 Characters Maximum]
L, D, H - Control Value Range, L=Lowest Value of Range, D=Default/Starting Range Value, H=Highest Value of Range. [Range Min/Max: -999/999]
SET - HEX Code* required to send the Value to the Parameter/Setting associated with this Control - Refer to your Display's Documentation.
GET - HEX Code* required to receive the Value of the Parameter/Setting associated with this Control - Refer to your Display's Documentation. * 2 HEX characters per byte, no spaces between each code, 12 bytes maximum. i.e. for 0 hex, enter 00, for A hex, enter 0A.

OTHER:
# Format - Used to Configure how ControlCAL outputs the value associated with each Control.

1 - i.e. -11, -1, 0, 1, 11
2 - i.e. -11, -1, 0, +1, +11
3 - i.e. -11, -1, +0, +1, +11
4 - i.e. -11, -01, 00, 01, 11
5 - i.e. -11, -01, 00, +01, +11
6 - i.e. -11, -01, +00, +01, +11 (used by Mitsubishi HC Series Projectors)
7 - i.e. -111, -011, -001, 000, 001, 011, 111
8 - i.e. -111, -011, -001, 000, +001, +011, +111
9 - i.e. -111, -011, -001, +000, +001, +011, +111
10 - Sony Format - # output as one 2byte hex code. Use with

ZERO IS set to 00 hex.
11 - Modified Sony Format - doesn't use upper byte, NO NEGATIVE NUMBERS ZERO IS - In HEX, what 0 (Zero) equals - Used with the value associated with each Control. [1 byte/2 HEX Characters Maximum]

30 hex - Used by Mitsubishi HC Series Projectors and most other Manufacturer's Displays.
00 hex - Used by Sony's newer Projectors.

CHECKSUM - If enabled, calculates and outputs a Checksum Value for Sony's Newer Displays (does not include START or END CODE in Calculation).

HIDE I/O - If enabled, will not show output or input in the Terminal Window and Send Confirmation will be disabled. To be effective, use with LOCK/PROTECT.

LOCK/PROTECT - If enabled, a password will be required to Edit/View the Display Profile's Configuration. The "One Page Calibration Screen" for the Profile is still available, though some or all Locked Display Profiles may only be available to Registered/Activated or Pro Versions of ControlCAL.

-Shawn
LL

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #3 of 80 Old 01-14-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved for Future Use!

ControlCAL™

post #4 of 80 Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are there addresses for zoom and/or focus? Since there is a lens shift "reset" in the menu, it seems like there are definite values for that, at least. It would be pretty slick for people doing CIH if they could create a macro that zooms to the right spot, focuses, etc in one step.
post #5 of 80 Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Are there addresses for zoom and/or focus? Since there is a lens shift "reset" in the menu, it seems like there are definite values for that, at least. It would be pretty slick for people doing CIH if they could create a macro that zooms to the right spot, focuses, etc in one step.

curttard, that is a great idea. I assume you are specifically asking about the HC4900. I will check into this when I get mine in a few days.

Pretty much any command can be sent and received with SSPC including hidden or undocumented ones.

ControlCAL™

post #6 of 80 Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Yes, you have control of all the remote buttons and every feature in the menus AFAICT. The "only" issue I can see to your idea is that the PC doesn't know what the current state of the pj is, and it has to know where it's starting from in order for its commands to have the exact effect.

What this means in practical terms is that you'd have to relegate control of the pj to the PC exclusively, i.e. any external commands issued by remote control, or using the on-board buttons, would mean the pj is "lost". There are ways to work around this (e.g. with the PC first issue commands that would assuredly drive the PJ to a limit, then back-off from that known limit) but they might be a little hairy.

Here ya go!

Note the pdf is found in Mits "presentations" site, not Home Theater. The feature is meant for commercial apps.
post #7 of 80 Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Question turbe: how is your app different/better than any other terminal program e.g. Hyperterminal or TeraTerm Pro or ...?
post #8 of 80 Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Question turbe: how is your app different/better than any other terminal program e.g. Hyperterminal or TeraTerm Pro or ...?

Those are of course general purpose terminal apps, I wanted something specific to our needs (Projector/Display RS232 Control) and simple to use for others. I noticed several questions and problems that have been posted using those terminal apps.

Currently, I only allow ASCII input but do show the HEX equivalents before sending if Send Confirm is enabled (default) and from the confirmation bytes back from the projector (both ASCII and HEX is displayed) in an easy to read format. I also show a [CR] if a Carriage Return is sent or received back.

Why don't you give Hyperterminal (or another) and SSPC a try and post your comments... I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarrier View Post

turbe,

What is the purpose of the RS232 control? I have a Harmony 880 that I used with my current projector. What benefit would I get from using RS232 controls vs the Harmony?

While looking into the HC4900 filter mod, we needed access to things that are not available easily (or not at all) from the remote. I also noticed that there have been several people on the forum requesting help with accessing their projector (not just the 4900) via RS232. I didn't see anything available that was specific and simple for accessing a projector through RS232.

Originally, I created a small app for myself to find and access hidden values. I thought others could find it useful as well so I expanded it to SSPC.

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

post #9 of 80 Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Why don't you give Hyperterminal (or another) and SSPC a try and post your comments...

I'm already used to the others, but will try it some time, sure.
post #10 of 80 Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided to release v1.1 per a request asking for the ability to change the COM Port.

The interface is ready for the Control/Calibration Page that I'm working on for the next version(s). This will have several PQ (or other optional) Controls on one page specific to a projector model. You will be able to Create, Save and Share (Load) your SSPC configuration files specific to a projector model with others.

All relevant controls will be available on the Control/Calibration Page and these settings can be changed via Sliders and/or other Controls with the Mouse or keyboard.

Please post here if you give SSPC a try!

ControlCAL™

post #11 of 80 Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SSPC v1.2 is now available for Download. v1.2 is the first version that has several PQ controls on one page for easy projector/display calibration. I've also updated the screenshots in Post #1.

NOTE: SSPC was developed and tested on Windows XP (Support for Vista is not confirmed).

v1.2 - 01/27/2008
+Added Internal PQ Calibration Control Support for Mitsubishi Projectors (tested on HC3000, HC4900*).
+Added Serial Communication Error Handling
+Several Internal Code Changes.
*HC1500, HC5000 and HC6000 should work as well (and other Mitsubishi Models or Projectors that support their Serial Codes).

Download Link is available in Post #1 Above.

IMPORTANT: ***** v1.4+ Auto Send/Add CR ONLY APPLIES TO ADVANCE MODE *****
For Mitsubishi Models, you should keep the option "Auto Send/Add CR" checked/enabled as these models require this for proper serial communications.
After you are confident that the proper control codes are being sent, you can uncheck/disable the option "Confirm Send" so you don't get a Confirmation Request for each Setting.

The 'REFRESH' Button is used to Read the current settings from the Projector.

ControlCAL™

post #12 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what exactly can I use this app for? To calibrate my HC6000?
post #13 of 80 Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post

So what exactly can I use this app for? To calibrate my HC6000?

Yes, the controls you see in the screen shot are on one page. During calibration, it can be cumbersome and time consuming to change these settings with the remote.

SSPC also has a Terminal Window (I call it Advance in SSPC) where you can send any code out the RS232 and will display any confirmation received from the projector/display in an easy to read format.

ControlCAL™

post #14 of 80 Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5627429 View Post

Wow this looks great, turbe!

Will this allow us hc5000 users to tame the "High Bright" color temp mode without having to use a glass filter?

Quote:

Are you talking about reading the factory default settings for the High Brightness Color Temp setting (so they can be used as a starting point in Color Temp/USER)???

If this is what you are talking about, this could be used for that.. however, we are looking for the proper code to get those values with our 4900 Filter Mod. As soon as I (or someone else) can get the proper code(s), I'll add a Button or function to easily get those values and transfer them to USER.

I don't monitor this thread, so if you have further questions, can you post them in my SSPC thread (the link is in my Signature below)?

Also, if you do use this, please post feedback in my thread too..

Suggestions are encouraged....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5627429 View Post

Yes that's what i was talking about, since you cant make adjustments to the High Brightness Color Temp mode.

Amazing stuff! Maybe i should buy a 2.35:1 screen instead of a 16:9.

Thanks for the great work, Turbe

ControlCAL™

post #15 of 80 Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see several downloads... for the ones that are using SSPC, can you post some feedback and/or suggestions?

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

post #16 of 80 Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Great work, Turbe. One request I have will you be able to add support for 64bit OS? I'm running Windows Server 2008 64bit and the app crashes upon startup.

Thanks
post #17 of 80 Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the 64bit versions, it may work when I change a couple things and compile for Vista (not sure when I'm going to do this though)

Right now I'm frustrated by Epson's lack of 1080 UB serial codes for PQ adjustments..

ControlCAL™

post #18 of 80 Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

EDIT 02/07/2008: Ignore this message...

SSPC IS NOW CalBOY. CLICK HERE FOR THE NEW CalBOY FORUM THREAD!

CalBoy v1.3 has been Released!

v1.3 - 02/06/2008
+Name Changed to CalBOY.
+MS Vista Now Supported.
+Several Internal Code Optimizations.
+Fixed Xon/Xoff Flow Control Bug.
+Added 'Donate' Menu Option (Donate via PayPal for CalBOY's Development).

ControlCAL™

post #19 of 80 Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 PM

Turbe,

I just tried CalBoy on Server 2008 64bit and it's looks great. One small issue, there is an error message upon startup - "Failed to create Direct Music Peformance" - but right after this message the application loads. Maybe this is due to a startup sound?

I can't use the app yet as I need to purchase a serial port connector. I'm wondering is it's feasible to go with a wireless version so I don't have to run any wires? Once I get one, I'll report back in this thread. Thanks again for the great work.
post #20 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

I'm wondering is it's feasible to go with a wireless version so I don't have to run any wires?

I know of usb-to-serial adapters, and ethernet-to-serial adapters, but not if there's a wireless-to-serial adapter--good question. Will be on the lookout for same...
post #21 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

Turbe,

I just tried CalBoy on Server 2008 64bit and it's looks great. One small issue, there is an error message upon startup - "Failed to create Direct Music Peformance" - but right after this message the application loads. Maybe this is due to a startup sound?

I can't use the app yet as I need to purchase a serial port connector. I'm wondering is it's feasible to go with a wireless version so I don't have to run any wires? Once I get one, I'll report back in this thread. Thanks again for the great work.

Interesting, I thought I removed the sound (which I had in an earlier version). You should be able to ignore that Error Message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I know of usb-to-serial adapters, and ethernet-to-serial adapters, but not if there's a wireless-to-serial adapter--good question. Will be on the lookout for same...

Great idea, I'll do some searching..

ControlCAL™

post #22 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did some searching for Wireless RS232...

Replace *'s with e b a y . c o m (without spaces):
http://cgi.*********/Direct-PC-USB-t...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.wcscnet.com/HdwHPS120.htm

http://www.wcscnet.com/HdwBTRS232.htm

http://www.ipenabled.com/bluetooth-r...FQp7PAodhx_afg

Digi has some products, I'm looking into those too.

NOTE: I have not spent much time reading any specs, I just wanted to post some links. I may be interested myself in one of these solutions.

ControlCAL™

post #23 of 80 Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did some searching for Wireless RS232...

Wow, nice work turbe, especially the first one which, even at $90 shipped, is dirt cheap. The "1 mile range" is dubious, but that gives it a good chance of working inside my house!

I'd never consider wireless cuz I expected that even if they WERE available now that they'd be too expensive, but now I'm thinking of buying one myself for my PJ vs. the "small PC" option I'd been noodling.

P.S. It is not clear to me that the first product you linked includes a power supply for the RS232 unit--would certainly make the installation less "clean" if outboard DC power required... but it DOES seem the PC transceiver is USB powered.
post #24 of 80 Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have contacted that ebay Seller with some questions. That option is Half Duplex (as most are) but there are some that do Full Duplex... I think Half Duplex should be all we need (for Mits).....

Though expensive, the Firefly has an option for a rechargeable battery model.

http://www.gridenabled.com/blueportxp.html

http://site.gridconnect.com/datashee...EFLY_DS_01.pdf

EDIT: JUST FOUND THIS ONE

USB to Wireless RS232 for $125:

http://www.gridenabled.com/bluetooth-rs232-usb.html

http://site.gridconnect.com/docs/PDF...B_800316_a.pdf

I believe Roving Networks is the manufacturer: http://www.rovingnetworks.com/firefly.htm

I'll read up on this one some more but I see the benefit of adding Bluetooth (which I want for my laptop) with this price.

This really opens up some interesting opportunities for control (and calibration).

I sent an email to see if I can receive an Evaluation Unit. Perhaps they will offer a better price to ControlCAL Users as well.

Reading the Firefly Manual, it states that it requires the use of Clear to Send (CTS) from the device (in our case, the Display/Projector). Most Displays/Projectors do not use this (Flow Control set to NONE). The Firefly does have an option via a onboard Jumper to tie CTS to RTS internally which should work, but testing is required.

Found this info:

"FireFly can also be powered by a 9V battery and will use 40ma of power when connected and only 1ma of power when in standby."

ControlCAL™

post #25 of 80 Old 02-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Shawn,
When your ready I would like to help test the Pioneer interface. I tried the Sencore and was very disapionted. I'm waiting for CalMAN to get something out but it may be awhile.
Let me know
Thanks
Joe
post #26 of 80 Old 02-09-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

BRIGHT 11 = increase brightness +1
BRIGHT 00 = decrease brightness -1
BRIGHT 01 = no change
BRIGHT INC = increase brightness +1
BRIGHT +05 = ERR
BRIGHT +5 = ERR

Correction:
BRIGHT 11 set the brightness to -22

Epson 1080 UB test...

ControlCAL™

post #27 of 80 Old 02-09-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestef View Post

Shawn,
When your ready I would like to help test the Pioneer interface. I tried the Sencore and was very disapionted. I'm waiting for CalMAN to get something out but it may be awhile.
Let me know
Thanks
Joe

Will do.....

ControlCAL™

post #28 of 80 Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone help me as to more details what this can do.
Is this an automated routine whereby I can connect my PC to my projector and it will automatically calibrate it? (similar to the software that used to be available for the old JVC LCOS machines)
Also what projectors are supported?
post #29 of 80 Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post

Can someone help me as to more details what this can do.
Is this an automated routine whereby I can connect my PC to my projector and it will automatically calibrate it? (similar to the software that used to be available for the old JVC LCOS machines)
Also what projectors are supported?

Using a PC connected serially to your Display, ControlCAL allows you to easily change settings commonly used in Display Calibration from one page on the PC's screen... No more navigating through the Display's Menus with the remote!

You still have to manually change each setting yourself though I originally planned to develop an API that would allow other applications to use the ControlCAL Display Profiles to help automate this process.

Currently, only Mitsubishi HC Series Projectors are supported in the One Page Calibration Screen (v1.3). Version 1.4 will allow Users to create their own ControlCAL Display Profiles (CDP files, .cdp extension), Load Display Profiles created by myself/others or View/Edit existing ones (that are not Locked).

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

post #30 of 80 Old 02-21-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick Update!

I wanted to post a pic of the new Display Profile Edit/View Option Coming Soon in v1.4..
LL

ControlCAL™

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page