Connecting XBOX to Projector, what about Sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to use the HC4900 projector and use an HTPC through HDMI. The HTPC has a XFI soundcard and has 5.1 speaker setup connector.

If I was to connect the XBOX, I'm assuming I have to connect it to the HC4900 projector using RGB cables (friend doesn't have the HDMI cable for the xbox). So I know that the yellow cable in the RGB cable is for video, red and green are for audio. Where do I connect those? Do I need some kind of splitter between the 5.1 speakers and HTPC so the XBOX can share etc (if so, where can I buy such splitters)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
RGB cables, red/green/blue, are component video and are ALL video.

Yellow/white/red cables, composite, are yellow for video and red/white for two channel audio.

If you have the yellow/white/red configuration, you will run the yellow cable to the PJ composite input and the white/red will need an rca to stereo mini-pin that you will run to the HTPC aux input to play the audio over the HTPC speakers.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:28 AM

On my original xbox, i had red white and yellow RCAs. For those you would run the yellow to the projector and you might need extension cords (radioshack) to get the red and white to your htpc.

My xbox 360 has RedGreenBlue (video) cable, all three are for video, as well as red white yellow RCA cables (for audio and video). I use the optical port for audio.

So which xbox do you have? Just hook it up like you would to any tv/stereo setup. Good luck...?
post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you might be a bit confused. An RGB cable, commonly referred to as component video, is used to carry the Red, Green, and Blue channels of a video signal. Composite cables consist of a yellow cable for video and red and white cables for the L and R audio channels.

As for the connection, you either need to connect the audio out into your HTPC, provided that your sound card has such capability. You would then use the HTPC as your receiver and amplifier. Otherwise, you will have to use a dedicated receiver into which you feed the audio output from the Xbox. The Xbox does not have an on-board amplifier, so you cannot feed it directly to any speaker system. Your projector also has no capability to receive audio signals of any kind.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

The XBOX has red,yellow,white cables I think (this is my friends xbox). I"m not sure which type of XBOX it is, I don't own one myself. It maybe a "HALO" 360 edition since it has green camaflouge type of design on the box.

If I have the yellow, red, white cables.....how do I plug it into the HTPC....it has no AUX input...it has a XFI card which has a rear, line-in, and line out port...I think...the required ports for a 5.1 setup.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil View Post

The XBOX has red,yellow,white cables I think (this is my friends xbox). I"m not sure which type of XBOX it is, I don't own one myself.

If I have the yellow, red, white cables.....how do I plug it into the HTPC....it has no AUX input...it has a XFI card which has a rear, line-in, and line out port...I think...the required ports for a 5.1 setup.

Line In, you will not be playing any 5.1 from the XBox over the red/white cables.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Line In, you will not be playing any 5.1 from the XBox over the red/white cables.

I see, which cable (red/white) goes into the line-in port on the XFI? Is there any way to get 5.1 through the HTPC using the XBOX?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

You need a 2 to 1 mini RCA adapter.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

post #10 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, so this plugs into the XFI's line-in. Is there anyway to get 5.1 surround sound? I'm also assuming as soon as I plug it in, the HTPC loses 5.1 surround capability unless I put a splitter between the line-in port so the XBOX and SPeakers can share that port.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM

You can't get 5.1 over stereo cables. You'd need the "advanced AV pack" that outputs component video and optical audio instead of composite AV, and you'd need an optical input on your HTPC as well.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 04:44 PM

If the xbox is a Halo edition then it should have HDMI out.
If you use Composite cable (yellow, red & white) you'll not get HD. See if you can borrow a 360 VGA or component cable from your friend. Otherwise the least expensive option for temporary use has to be buying the 360 VGA cable from monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Now that you have a HD projector you'll need to have the audio to go with it. Time to get an AV receiver, that way you can connect all you home theatre and HTCP to the receiver. You can find a decent AV receiver which handles 5.1 audio for $150 or less.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_t View Post

If the xbox is a Halo edition then it should have HDMI out.
If you use Composite cable (yellow, red & white) you'll not get HD. See if you can borrow a 360 VGA or component cable from your friend. Otherwise the least expensive option for temporary use has to be buying the 360 VGA cable from monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Now that you have a HD projector you'll need to have the audio to go with it. Time to get an AV receiver, that way you can connect all you home theatre and HTCP to the receiver. You can find a decent AV receiver which handles 5.1 audio for $150 or less.

Thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page