HDHomeRun & Mythbuntu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-17-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I installed Mythbuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) and got it mostly configured and also connected my HDHomeRun and antenna. Following the HDHomeRun Communtiy Ubuntu Documentation, I installed the hdhomerun_config, downloaded firmware, and discovered the device, however, after upgrading the firmware, upon it's auto-re-boot, it says "'error finding device after firmware upgrade". Anybody know what the problem is? I re-ran discover and it returns the port. One thing I noticed is that the only LEDs lit up on my HDHR are the power and Network Link Detected - Tuner 0 (where I have the antenna connected) does not light up. While upgrading the firmware, it did cycle through most of the LEDs.
I went ahead with the Myth setup and when I got to scanning channels, nothing seems to happen - no channels show up and the Finish button stays highlighted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I installed Mythbuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) and got it mostly configured and also connected my HDHomeRun and antenna. Following the HDHomeRun Communtiy Ubuntu Documentation, I installed the hdhomerun_config, downloaded firmware, and discovered the device, however, after upgrading the firmware, upon it's auto-re-boot, it says "'error finding device after firmware upgrade". Anybody know what the problem is? I re-ran discover and it returns the port. One thing I noticed is that the only LEDs lit up on my HDHR are the power and Network Link Detected - Tuner 0 (where I have the antenna connected) does not light up. While upgrading the firmware, it did cycle through most of the LEDs.
I went ahead with the Myth setup and when I got to scanning channels, nothing seems to happen - no channels show up and the Finish button stays highlighted.

HDTimeShifter, try power cycling the unit itself (I'm assuming you haven't already). My MythTV setup kept losing the my HDHR until I entered its ID directly in MythTV setup.

HTH
post #3 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried unplugging and reconnecting the power supply to the HDHR. I also rebooted Myth. Still not working. Also I only have the Network Link LED lighting up. Do you have Tuner 0 or Tuner 1 LEDs lighting up? I have an antenna hooked up to Tuner 0, no cable hooked up to Tuner 1 yet. When I try to exit out of setup, it says "the network card is set to Channel 3 which does not exist". When I press the button to let Myth automatically fix it, it doesn't. I had the channel to start on option blank in the setup.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It sounds as if the firmware upgrade may not have worked. If you had an older version of the firmware, I would try that. Otherwise just try doing the upgrade again.

Also, make sure that you are not running a firewall. You don't really need one if your router has a hardware firewall.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Which firmware version did you install? The Ubuntu instructions link to an older version of the firmware 20070830.bin. There is a newer version of the firmware available from the HDhomerun web site: 20080305.bin

I hope this fixes your problems. It's NCAA playoff time, and you should be watching TV, not configuring it!
post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2008, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I upgraded with the latest firmware, the March 5 version. I suppose I could try the upgrade again.

I believe Mythbuntu includes a firewall. I'll try disabling it.

I think the problem is the HDHR, not a firewall or Myth, since a Tuner LED is not lighting up. I also tried swapping the antenna cable to Tuner 1 and using the default FFFFFF address instead of the MAC address on the HDHR, but same problem. If the above does not fix it, I could also try hooking up my Vista laptop and seeing if MCE can use the HDHR.

Basketball, blah. The only sport is football, and one reason for waiting until after Broncos season and college football were over before building my Myth HTPC. But motorsports season has just started and up to 8 hours of F1 coverage per race weekend seriously compromises the limited storage space on my Comcast HD-DVR, but at least SpeedTV is not in HD yet... And even recording 8 hours SD is not as bad as trying to record 4 hours college football in HD + 3 hours NFL in HD (7 hours x 7 GB/hour = 49 GB per football weekend)!
post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basketball, blah. The only sport is football...

You would maybe feel different if you had a local team in the playoffs. There are two from Wisconsin, the UW-Badgers and the Marquette Warriors (oops, Indian names are now taboo, they are the "Golden Eagles")

There are a few nascar fans at work, and they seem to have the same sentiment as you.

The HDHR web site says to turn off any firewalls that are enabled. So that may even have caused some problems with the firmware upgrade
post #8 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I couldn't find any firewall on my system, and reinstallled the firmware, and it installed without any error message this time. However, Myth still won't scan any channels and the term window reports the following errors: (my HDHR MAC address/0) Device not found. Channel could not be opened.

The Tuner 0 LED is still not lighting up, even though it and Tuner 1 lit up in sequence during the firmware upgrade as well as during the power on cycle.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Iptables is the default firewall in Ubuntu. It should be disabled by default, unless you installed a GUI for it like FireStarter.

To check it, run this command.
Code:
 sudo iptables -L
It should output something like this.
Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
This example has no filter rules running. For a more complete How-To on iptables in Ubuntu, check out this link.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ip...%28iptables%29
post #10 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My Iptables is set up as above with no filtering.

I can't think of what else could be wrong.

I hooked up my Vista MCE laptop and installed HDHomeRun software and it was unable to detect any tuners in setup. I definitely think it is a defective HDHomeRun and have e-mailed Silicondust support. I just hope I can RMA it since it's been over 30 days since I bought it.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you connect directly to the HDHR unit? You will most likely need a crossover cable. You will also have to set your laptop to a static IP address, as there will be no DHCP server. I don't know if the HDHR has a default address, so that you can connect to it.

I had to do this with a wireless router, when I upgraded the firmware IIRC (and it borked!).
post #12 of 17 Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have a crossover cable.

Silicondust said the LEDs are correct - they don't light up until video streams over the network, which isn't happening until I am able to view a channel. I'm going to send them error logs and they'll investigate. Yay for 7 day support - I don't have to wait until Monday! I'll update with the results.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM

I did a quick scan though this thread but did not see how you are connecting the HDHR (I may have missed it). Is it going through a router? If so, connect to the router with your computer and see if it's giving a valid IP address to the HDHR.

Can you ping the hdhr?
post #14 of 17 Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My network is set up with a cable modem to the Internet, then to a 100 MB router, both in my bedroom office. A couple of computers are connected to the router there. A 50 foot Cat6 cable run goes from the router to a 100MB switch in my living room. My HTPC and the HDHR are connected to the switch. I am able to see both my HTPC and the HDHR from an XP PC in my bedroom office and even clicked on the HDHR to go to a help or update Internet link. I can also access the Internet from my HTPC.

When I ran Silicondust's command line scan, it showed some local ATSC stations in the output, so it looks like a tuner as well as my powered antenna (Philips MANT510) are working. Still might be a Myth problem.

Their response on why I can't setup my Vista MCE laptop is:
"For the Vista machine, please confirm that the network settings in Vista match that of the DHCP server used by the HDHomeRun -- check the network/subnet mask."
I'm not sure what they mean by that. I assume they're referring to my router as the DHCP server. It should be correct as I can connect to the Internet from my Vista laptop at both my router and the switch. Or are they referring to MCE settings?
post #15 of 17 Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

[internet] -> cable modem -> router -> switch -> HTPC and HDHR

...check the network/subnet mask...

I'm not sure what they mean by that. I assume they're referring to my router as the DHCP server...

First, make sure your router is the only thing dishing out DHCP to your network.
Second, if your router's internal address is 192.168.1.1 and your router's internal subnet is 255.255.255.0 (both very common selections) make sure that all your devices correctly reflect those two settings.

I've seen where a computer will have a valid IP address but an invalid subnet setting and things sort of work, like you can ping but can't resolve addresses.

Hope this helps.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Silicondust support said I have low signal levels, and when I tried boosting the antenna amplification, it was high RF signal levels, which means that it's just amplifying noise.

Since I planned on using this for both OTA and cable, I hooked up my cable to Tuner 1 and scanned in channels on QAM256. There's not a whole lot of unencrypted Comcast, but some channels showed up. However, when I go to "Watch Live TV", it can't lock in on a channel (same error as when I tried viewing with only antenna hooked up to Tuner 0). One other time I tried, it said something like both tuners were set to start on the same channel, which is weird since there is no starting channel for OTA since it failed to scan in any, and QAM is set to start on 247 (which is a 24 hour local news channel). The other thing is that whenever I exit out of Myth setup, it complains that "the tuners are set up to start on channel 3, which doesn't exist", and when I click the button to autofix it, it doesn't, and so I then click on the button "ignore - I know what I'm doing".

Also, does SchedulesDirect have listings for my local Comcast or just OTA content?
post #17 of 17 Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't been able to mess with my Myth box for almost 2 months now - got real busy with work and planning vacation, then went on vacation for 3 weeks, got back and may finally have time to try again to get it to work. The last e-mail I had from Silicondust said the following:

"OTA scan: The scan shows low signal quality on a number of channels. This will likely cause problems. You may need to use an external antenna for OTA.

Cable scan: The cable scan looks good. Does MythTV detect the digital cable channels?"

I borrowed a friend's Hauppage USB unit, plugged it into my Vista laptop and oriented my amplified indoor antenna (MANT510) so that I could receive most of my local HD stations clearly. I couldn't get a couple of the PBS stations, probably because they broadcast from a mountain behind another set of mountains in line of sight. I even got a few outlying stations (probablly Ft. Collins and Co. Springs). I'm thinking Silicondust is referring to these and the PBS stations that I can't lock in clearly. When I rescanned with HDHR, it scans in channels, then gives me an error about not locking in when I try to "view live TV". Also, even if low signal level is a problem, why can't I view QAM either?

This is extremely frustrating as I've spent $900 on an HDPVR that has been useless since February and I'm still wasting $130/month for Comcast's HDDVR!
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page