DVDFab on Linux & Wine - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used the to mobile option. I also get the after image with the beta. I'm using kde4.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...or some interaction among Wine, X, and video driver.

Are you using KDE or Gnome? This is happening on Gnome...

Time to try Fab 7062 with Wine 1.2rc1. I expect the GUI artifact behavior to just go away with some combination of Fab, Wine, Gnome, X or video driver update.

I'm using KDE 3.5.9.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #33 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erod20 View Post

I used the to mobile option.

Yeah, I found that "to mkv" option now too, I think it's misplaced though as remuxing a BD to mkv (without transcoding) is hardly useful for mobile devices...

Anyway I'm glad they added this option, it's a useful alternative to MakeMKV and MKVmerge.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #34 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I've noticed that the DVDFab 7.x series leaves an "afterimage" of itself in the upper left of the screen upon exit. Mousing over or moving a window over this GUI artifact "erases" it, or simply maximizing any window erases it- just an annoyance.

I thought that the latest versions of Fab, Wine and Ubuntu might resolve this, but it appears to still be an issue with WIne 1.1.44, Fab 7.0.5.8 beta and Ubuntu 10.04.

Doesn't appear to harm anything, just an annoying GUI artifact- probably Fab trying to display a "Buy me" (or maybe some exit error) or similar message on exit.

Anyone else NOT getting this on other distros?

I've always had that happen with DVDFab going all the way back to the old non-HD DVDFab, in WINE 0.9.somethingorother and Fiesty Fawn.

Are the people who DON'T see the problem using the freebe version of DVDFab or are they using a purchased version?
post #35 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I'm using KDE 3.5.9.

3? So you haven't switched to 4?

Anyway, are you using the free vresion of DVDFab or the pay version?
post #36 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I've always had that happen with DVDFab going
Are the people who DON'T see the problem using the freebe version of DVDFab or are they using a purchased version?

I use the one available here (with the default demo license):
http://www.dvdfab.com/en/download.htm

Quote:

3? So you haven't switched to 4?

My main desktop PC is still running Mandriva 2008.1 which came with KDE 3.5.9, I have other PCs with KDE4 but I haven't tried DVDFab on those. I don't think the KDE version has anything to do with this issue since Rgb is seeing this with Gnome.

The only small artifact I see is that in the lower right side of the DVDFab main window, there is a small section of the DVDFab window which is transparent, i.e. I see whatever is below it on the screen.

post #37 of 74 Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use the one available here (with the default demo license):
http://www.dvdfab.com/en/download.htm

Well then, I guess I'm leaning towards RGB's original idea that it's some kind of Gnome on Ubuntu issue since that seems to be the difference between those of use who see the issue (me and RGB) and the rest of you that are either KDE or Gnome on some other distro.

Quote:

My main desktop PC is still running Mandriva 2008.1 which came with KDE 3.5.9, I have other PCs with KDE4 but I haven't tried DVDFab on those. I don't think the KDE version has anything to do with this issue since Rgb is seeing this with Gnome.

Oh ,I didn't think that had anything to do with the DVDFab issue, I just thought you might have had a typo mistake and typed a 3 instead of 4 so I just asked for clarity.
post #38 of 74 Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Well then, I guess I'm leaning towards RGB's original idea that it's some kind of Gnome on Ubuntu issue since that seems to be the difference between those of use who see the issue (me and RGB) and the rest of you that are either KDE or Gnome on some other distro.

I might have to install the kubuntu desktop alongside the default Gnome to test KDE on 10.04 and Fab...
post #39 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 AM

I have the same issue with the afterimage and I'm using kde4.3
post #40 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which distro (and which release)?

post #41 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To all- is Compiz (Desktop effects) enabled?

Mine are disabled.

There are a number of variables that could be contributing or interacting to cause the afterimage issue-

Specific distro (kernel version )
X Window version
Desktop environment type and version
DVDfab version
DVDFab settings
Wine version
GPU type/model
GPU driver version
Compiz/desktop compositing effects on/off

others?
post #42 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

See my details below (like I said I don't have the problem):

Quote:

Specific distro (kernel version and everything with it) - Mandriva 2008.1 kernel 2.6.24.7 SMP (i686)
X Window version - 1.4.0.90
Desktop environment type and version - KDE 3.5.9
DVDfab version - tried both 6 and the latest 7
DVDFab settings - default
Wine version - 1.1.27
GPU type/model - Nvidia Quadro NVS290
GPU driver version - 195.36.15
Compiz/desktop compositing effects on/off - off

post #43 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Which distro (and which release)?

I'm using OpenSuse 11.2 with kde 4.3.5.
post #44 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I've seen the afterimage with all the following:

Specific distro (kernel version ) Fiesty, Hardy and Jaunty

X Window version : whatever those distros shipped with (sorry I can't recall all these version numbers off the top of my head)

Desktop environment type and version: Gnome (again can't recall all the version numbers)

DVDfab version: The "free" versions of both the old "non-HD" version and the new DVDFabHD 6.?? (I'll have to check double check the exact version when I get home)

DVDFab settings: The only "customizing" I do during install is to NOT create desktop icons and start menu items. I then use the Gnome menu manager to add a menu item by hand.

Wine version: 0.9.??? thru 1.0.0.? (IIRC, I'll have to double check again)

GPU type/model: ATI 9800pro agp bus

GPU driver version: Open source radeon driver whatever versions Fiesty, Hardy and Jaunty shipped with (I've never needed to know the version number before)

Compiz/desktop compositing effects on/off: OFF

Hmmm. I just thought of something. In my case, I use Gnome as my primary desktop, but I have an almost complete KDE library set installed too, because their are several KDE apps that I prefer to the Gnome equivalents. And I also have a full-blown Thunar install, because I occasionally use a couple of features in it.

Tux and Erod, do you have "just KDE" or do you also have Gnome and/or Thunar libraries installed too?
post #45 of 74 Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tux and Erod, do you have "just KDE" or do you also have Gnome and/or Thunar libraries installed too?

I have also Gnome installed since I use many Gnome apps (under KDE), too.

post #46 of 74 Old 05-29-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I've noticed that the DVDFab 7.x series leaves an "afterimage" of itself in the upper left of the screen upon exit. Mousing over or moving a window over this GUI artifact "erases" it, or simply maximizing any window erases it- just an annoyance.

I thought that the latest versions of Fab, Wine and Ubuntu might resolve this, but it appears to still be an issue with WIne 1.1.44, Fab 7.0.5.8 beta and Ubuntu 10.04.

Doesn't appear to harm anything, just an annoying GUI artifact- probably Fab trying to display a "Buy me" (or maybe some exit error) or similar message on exit.

Anyone else NOT getting this on other distros?

I posted this on the wine forum a few weeks ago. I never got a response but I'm glad someone else is seeing this.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.ph...ghlight=dvdfab

When exiting DVDFab 7.0.3.0 there is a square that appears onscreen and will only go away if another program is opened. I've seen this happen on more than one computer using the Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website.
I'm using Linux Mint KDE 5 AKA Kubuntu 8.0.4 and Nvidia driver 195.x.x.
I'm using kubuntu 10.04 now with wine 1.2-rc1 and DVDFab 7062 on the same machine that had Kubuntu 8.04.
It doesn't happen with kubuntu 10.04 with wine 1.2-rc1, dvdfab 7062 with the Nvidia recommended driver 195.36.15 from the hardware drivers in kubuntu.
post #47 of 74 Old 05-30-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm not seeing any correlations between those of us who see it and those that don't....

How about WINE configurations?

IIRC, I have WINE set to "emulate" WinXP. Are all us that see the problem set to XP and those that aren't set to something else?
post #48 of 74 Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IIRC, I have WINE set to "emulate" WinXP. Are all us that see the problem set to XP and those that aren't set to something else?

Same here WinXP, I don't think I ever changed any of the wine config options.

post #49 of 74 Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

re: GUI artifact issue at Fab exit-

It appears this issue's cause is far more subtle than the various versions of all the software that might contribute.

After installing 7.0.6.5 beta last week, I saw the artefact once or twice, then it stopped!

This is on the same Ubuntu 9.04 Gnome load I've been using since last year. Some other subtle interaction or setting we're unaware of must be causing the issue, as no OS or automatic updates of any kind have been applied since.
post #50 of 74 Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I wonder if DVDFab will add a Split function for BluRay discs?

Similar to the DVD Split function, it would allow lossless 1:1 backups to two BD25 BD-R's vs one dual layer 50GB BD-R.
post #51 of 74 Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

post #52 of 74 Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 AM

I have been using DVDFab under wine, as indicated in this thread many years ago, for almost a year now. Works great for me. There were definitely some display/interaction annoyances, though easily ignored in my opinion. Since the new version 8 with 'Qt' came out, it is working immensely better ... flawlessly would be how I would describe it. I could do without the explorer popping up when complete, easy enough to close though.

If you haven't tried a recent version of DVDFab, give it a spin. The difference will be quite apparent.
post #53 of 74 Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohah View Post
I have been using DVDFab under wine, as indicated in this thread many years ago, for almost a year now. Works great for me. There were definitely some display/interaction annoyances, though easily ignored in my opinion. Since the new version 8 with 'Qt' came out, it is working immensely better ... flawlessly would be how I would describe it. I could do without the explorer popping up when complete, easy enough to close though.

If you haven't tried a recent version of DVDFab, give it a spin. The difference will be quite apparent.
There is a checkbox on one of the config pages to turn that off in the latest version 8105. Uncheck it.

Settings>General>Output Directory > Open output directory when done.

Otherwise agreed- the recent Qt versions of Fab look and act like a native Linux/Qt app, at least with recent vintage Wine and Ubuntu/Mint/derivatives versions.
post #54 of 74 Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder why I'm having the opposite results with the QT Fab versions. I tried installing 8.1 a month ago or so and it was so hideously slow that I actually had to xkill the process just to exit the program! Took about 3 minutes just to draw the window. And this is on a core i5 based pc running Mandriva 2010.0. I had to downgrade back to 8.0.9.x to get a usable Fab again.

Any ideas why?
post #55 of 74 Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
I wonder why I'm having the opposite results with the QT Fab versions. I tried installing 8.1 a month ago or so and it was so hideously slow that I actually had to xkill the process just to exit the program! Took about 3 minutes just to draw the window. And this is on a core i5 based pc running Mandriva 2010.0. I had to downgrade back to 8.0.9.x to get a usable Fab again.

Any ideas why?
No idea, but I have DVDFab8Qt 8.0.9.2 with wine 1.3.5 on Mandriva 2008.1 working perfectly.

Maybe try changing the version of wine, you should be able to get newer versions directly from winehq.

post #56 of 74 Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Will do. Thanks!
post #57 of 74 Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Fixed. Updated the URPMI database and then auto-updated the system (using the urpmi -auto-update command). Something I hadn't done in....oh....a year and a half or so. I have wine 1.3 now and FabQT is running peachy.
post #58 of 74 Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I'm working on a new Linux system build and tried DVDFab with wine. It installs and runs beautifully. This is the first time I've used either.

As everyone here probably knows, Blu-ray operations won't work unless you have an internet connection. It needs to phone home for keys.

This is with Fedora 15, but I will probably switch to openSuSE 11.4 because I'm more familiar with it and have little time for puzzling out a new system.

-Bill
post #59 of 74 Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
As everyone here probably knows, Blu-ray operations won't work unless you have an internet connection. It needs to phone home for keys.

-Bill
The phone home issue is quite worrisome. Yet another reason I only buy/use DVD's (and CD's).

Does AnyDVD on Windows/VirtualBox require an internet connection to fully decrypt a BluRay disc?
post #60 of 74 Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
The phone home issue is quite worrisome. Yet another reason I only buy/use DVD's (and CD's).

Does AnyDVD on Windows/VirtualBox require an internet connection to fully decrypt a BluRay disc?
I don't know about AnyDVD. Here's the DVDFab explanation as to why they require internet for BR: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=5175

-Bill
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page