Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I don't know about AnyDVD. Here's the DVDFab explanation as to why they require internet for BR: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=5175

-Bill

What's unusual to me is

Quote:

1. Decryption is done once for a disc. All the other users that have the same disc will just receive the decrypted data from our servers rather than doing it again and again.

It sounds like they are downloading the entire BD disc (at least the entire movie and other video content) to you from their server over the internet!?

For most of us with 8Mbps (~1MB/sec) or lower internet connections, that would take ridiculously long to transfer 30-40GB+ of data for a typical complete BD disc! FAR slower than the transfer rate from a DVD disc in a local DVD drive (~8MB+/sec)

Amazing they haven't been shutdown by the MPAA yet if that's what they are doing.

Key transfer is one thing- downloading the decrypted content from on PC to another over the public net is quite another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

What's unusual to me is

It sounds like they are downloading the entire BD disc (at least the entire movie and other video content) to you from their server over the internet!?

For most of us with 8Mbps (~1MB/sec) or lower internet connections, that would take ridiculously long to transfer 30-40GB+ of data for a typical complete BD disc! FAR slower than the transfer rate from a DVD disc in a local DVD drive (~8MB+/sec)

Amazing they haven't been shutdown by the MPAA yet if that's what they are doing.

Key transfer is one thing- downloading the decrypted content from on PC to another over the public net is quite another.

No, it's just the decryption key data. It's too fast for anything else. I don't know what happens if you try a previously unknown disc. Maybe it takes longer for the first user.

-Bill
post #63 of 74 Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it's just the decryption key data. It's too fast for anything else. I don't know what happens if you try a previously unknown disc. Maybe it takes longer for the first user.

-Bill

Oh. Nevermind.
post #64 of 74 Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When it comes to Wine, it is like a dog playing piano. The impressive part is not how well it plays, but that it plays at all.

DVDFab seems to match that criteria running under Fedora 15 on my laptop. I have to each time go into the wine configuration to map the drive before starting DVDFab. Then it will recognize the disk and correctly rip it. Although it takes three to four times longer than running DVDFab under Windows... I'm not sure if it Wine, libcssdvd, or the fact I use full disk encryption.

I'm still curious if it will rip every dvd. As it is reading a mounted directory, which implies to me that DVDFab is libcssdvd doing the decryption, not DVDFab. So presumably I should have the same limits as libcssdvd...
post #65 of 74 Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbillnet View Post

When it comes to Wine, it is like a dog playing piano. The impressive part is not how well it plays, but that it plays at all.

DVDFab seems to match that criteria running under Fedora 15 on my laptop. I have to each time go into the wine configuration to map the drive before starting DVDFab. Then it will recognize the disk and correctly rip it. Although it takes three to four times longer than running DVDFab under Windows... I'm not sure if it Wine, libcssdvd, or the fact I use full disk encryption.

I'm still curious if it will rip every dvd. As it is reading a mounted directory, which implies to me that DVDFab is libcssdvd doing the decryption, not DVDFab. So presumably I should have the same limits as libcssdvd...

It turns out I was blaiming Wine prematurely. It turns out the first three DVD's I tried under Fedora where simply DVD's that take two to three times more to decode than the average DVD. I think it is slightly slower running under Wine, but not nearly as significant as I thought. As for the mounting DVD, I found the easiest thing to do is map wine to use a symbolic link in my home directory to the automount DVD mount location. Then I can simply update the symbolic link rather than changing the location. I haven't found a DVD yet that isn't decoding properly under WINE, so I guess running DVDFab ontop of libcssdvd doesn't circumvent it's ability to decode some of the newer DVD's.

Overall, the advantages of running DVDFab under wine seem to outway the disadvantages. In that it is easier to automate the rest of the conversion process under Linux than it is under windows. (e.g. I usually run programs such as running ccextractor to extract closed caption, mencoder to extract subtitles, ...)

Bill
post #66 of 74 Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM

I have been trying to used DVDFab under wine to rip Curse of the Golden Flower. However, DVDFab just seems to stay in the analyzing state forever...
post #67 of 74 Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

I have been trying to used DVDFab under wine to rip Curse of the Golden Flower. However, DVDFab just seems to stay in the analyzing state forever...

Is this Blu-ray or DVD? Is it trying to read the disc and failing?

I'm new enough at this that I do not know if disc I/O issues are wine or DVDFab or some interaction between them, and haven't had time to investigate.

For Blu-ray I use "dd" to make a raw (encrypted) ISO file of the disc, then open that with DVDFab.

For DVD I would use something like dvdbackup or vobcopy, although k9copy does what I want natively, meaning I don't need DVDFab for DVD.

Remember that for Blu-ray DVDFab requires an internet connection. The the net is screwed up it may not work.

-Bill
post #68 of 74 Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Curse of the Golden Flower is a 2007 DVD. I just finally had a chance to reboot to windows. The disc ripped in under 10 minutes, from the time I inserted into the DVD drive. Over the last week I ripped about 50 DVD's I purchased at Blockbuster's going out of business sales under Linux. About 50% I ripped with DVDShrink under Wine. Those which had problems, the other 50% under DVDFab.The only discs I was not able to rip at all under Wine were Curse of the Golden Flower, and The Water Horse. However, it seems some types of copy protection really slow DVDFab down under Wine, and the sony structured protection pretty much stalls it all together.

I'm guessing the problem is that DVDFab does not have direct access to the underlying devices under Wine. So it has to wait for the underlying libraries to do any automatic retries and recovery attempts. Or possibly is automatic read aheads by the linux kernel done for caching. Also, quite possibly the error return codes are different. But these are just guesses.

Since I was suspicious libdvdcss might be causing problems with DVDFab, I tried uninstalling libdvdcss and then tried ripping Curse of the Golden Flower without it. However, I still saw the exact same behaviour, so my suspicions where not confirmed.

My net conclusion is DVDFab under Wine is useful, as it does seem to at least handle some of the copy protections DVDShrink cannot. However, it is not nearly as great of a tool under Wine as it is under Windows.

Quote:

Is this Blu-ray or DVD? Is it trying to read the disc and failing?

I'm new enough at this that I do not know if disc I/O issues are wine or DVDFab or some interaction between them, and haven't had time to investigate.

For Blu-ray I use "dd" to make a raw (encrypted) ISO file of the disc, then open that with DVDFab.

For DVD I would use something like dvdbackup or vobcopy, although k9copy does what I want natively, meaning I don't need DVDFab for DVD.

Remember that for Blu-ray DVDFab requires an internet connection. The the net is screwed up it may not work.

-Bill

post #69 of 74 Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

If a DVD rips fine with DVDFab on Windows, it should rip in an equivalent manner on the same version of DVDFab with recent vintage Wine versions on the same hardware (DVD drive, SATA/IDE controller, etc) and a recent Linux distro, though I have only used DVDFab under Ubuntu/Mint.

I don't believe DVDFab uses libdvdcss to access/read the disc. DVDFab should use it's own internal routines for parsing all the data on a DVD disc- CSS and other restrictions removals like ARCoSS. The Linux distro should only be mounting the DVD filesystem and presenting it to DVDFab.

Distros of a given family (Ubuntu and derivatives like Mint, Red Hat and derivatives like CentOS, etc) often handle low level operations/drivers like filesystem mounting differently- no different than how all the Windows versions and service packs (Win9x, XP SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista, Win7) also have different kernel versions and corresponding different optical disc handling drivers and low level OS differences.
post #70 of 74 Old 10-16-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curse of the Golden Flower is a 2007 DVD. I just finally had a chance to reboot to windows. The disc ripped in under 10 minutes, from the time I inserted into the DVD drive. Over the last week I ripped about 50 DVD's I purchased at Blockbuster's going out of business sales under Linux. About 50% I ripped with DVDShrink under Wine. Those which had problems, the other 50% under DVDFab.The only discs I was not able to rip at all under Wine were Curse of the Golden Flower, and The Water Horse. However, it seems some types of copy protection really slow DVDFab down under Wine, and the sony structured protection pretty much stalls it all together.

Curse of the Golden Flower rips

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1300296

fine with DVDFab 6120 from

http://www.oldapps.com/dvdfab.php?old_dvdfab=6

DVDFab 8125 and 8112 will not open the disc- they analyze indefinitely.

This happens sometimes- a recent DVDFab release will not open an old protected release. This is called a regression-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_regression

Usually, the regression is fixed as new releases come out.

No big deal, just download and install an earlier version at oldapps.com. The disc rip functionality works fine. The 7.x or 8.0.x series might do Golden Flower fine, but I haven't tried them.

DVDFab exhibited the same behavior on Win98/XP.

DVDFab 8125 and 8112 probably would not rip Golden Flower on Windows, either.

Water Horse rips fine (no slowdown relative to Windows, etc) on earlier DVDFab versions under Wine of the same vintage.

Here is a current example of another DVD (Battle: LA) that would not rip with the current release (non-beta) version on Windows, but rips with older versions-

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=14884

They fixed this in the latest beta, though.

Another example-

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=14875
post #71 of 74 Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Here's something I sent to the folks at DVDFab a few weeks ago. No reply as of yet.
Quote:

Here's one for you - I loaded DVDFab on my laptop a few days ago. As soon as I loaded it, my DVD drive became very sluggish and some cases stopped working altogether. I noticed that most sites suggest this is a common problem that occurs after loading DVD recording software. Most DVDs when loaded now don't get recognized by the drive and those that do take up to 3 minutes or more to start. I have since deleted DVDFab from my computer but would like to reinstall it - especially since I bought the full version [SWREG ORDER NUMBER: .......]. Any thoughts

Has anyone else encountered anything like this b4? Any suggestions?
post #72 of 74 Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Outside of the setup issue I had when loading DVDFab, it's been pretty good to work with. Most of the disks I loaded on my computer I just copied to a vob file. At first I didn't understand this and was trying to convert the files thinking they had been ripped. Then it finally dawned on me that as far as the compauter and DVDFab was concerned, the files were basically still a DVD. So I tried ripping them to say MKV remux and it worked fine.
post #73 of 74 Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

A case in point - I was told through another thread earlier that to retain video quality, you should use either vob or mkv remux. I've now tried both andhere's what I've noticed. The video quality is about as close as you're going to get to DVD quality with the vob compression. All it seems to be doing is combining all the vob files in the DVD folder into one file and throwing away all the smaller vob files that have say the menu or trailers on them. The MKV remux also works very well. In fact they both work well. Make sure you have it set to "passthrough" on the video menu. This is automatic with vob so you don't have to worry about it.
post #74 of 74 Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

On the MKV/vob issue - you might as well know that the file compression is not going to render you a smaller file. In other words, if you're looking to save disk space and you don't want to throw away any other movies, then these two options are not for you. They will chew up about 80% of the capacity required in the original DVD. In most cases, that's upwards of 2 to 3 gig at least. So if you're the type that likes movies to compress down to say under a gig, then you won't want to use these two compression formats. If, OTOH, you're more interested in PQ and you're willing to sacrifice disk space to get it, then you can't go wrong with either of these formats.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page