Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 74 Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone gotten the 30 day full function trial to work in recent vintage Wine (1.1.7 or later)?

http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

When I install DVDFab 5.1.1.0 on a new Wine installation, and I select a feature like Split, which is supposed to be enabled for 30 days, DVDFab complains that the feature is only available in the "full" version, i.e. DVDFab thinks the 30 days have run out, even though everything's been installed for about 2 weeks (Ubuntu 8.10, Wine, DVDFab).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not taking your own wait 6 months advice eh?

Unfortunately both the copy of DVD Fab HD and the copy of Wine that I'm running are a little older than those so I can't help with that problem.
post #3 of 74 Old 11-09-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I removed and re-installed 5.1.1.0 and updated wine to 1.1.8 and the Split function now works. DVDFab reports the 30 day trial active.

post #4 of 74 Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have trouble getting DVDFab 5.1.2.2 to detect my DVD drive using wine 1.1.19.

I'm trying to use DVDFab for the first time as I have come across a DVD that k9copy doesn't want to back up (lots of 'Medium errors', despite the DVD is scratch-free and plays fine in my standalone DVD player, obviously some crude copy protection scheme).

DVDfab starts up fine but it never shows my DVD drive.

I have configured the DVD drive in winecfg as E: mapped to /dev/hdb, type CDROM.

Is there anything else I need to do to get DVDfab to see my DVD drive?

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site:
post #5 of 74 Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I have trouble getting DVDFab 5.1.2.2 to detect my DVD drive using wine 1.1.19.

I'm trying to use DVDFab for the first time as I have come across a DVD that k9copy doesn't want to back up (lots of 'Medium errors', despite the DVD is scratch-free and plays fine in my standalone DVD player, obviously some crude copy protection scheme).

DVDfab starts up fine but it never shows my DVD drive.

I have configured the DVD drive in winecfg as E: mapped to /dev/hdb, type CDROM.

Is there anything else I need to do to get DVDfab to see my DVD drive?

Several issues-

First, you should basically always use the latest Wine (be aware of regressions in new versions), which is currently 1.1.27-

http://www.winehq.org/site/download

and use the Autodetect drives option in the Winecfg GUI (Drives tab) to detect/set up your optical drives.

Second, you should always use the latest DVDFab, currently 6.0.4.0

http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

Newish DVD releases may use new anti-rip tricks that older Fab versions can't handle.

Third, in all the time I've used DVDfab on Ubuntu under Wine, Fab has never reliably auto-detected DVD insertions into the DVD drive after Fab is already running- could be the optical drive auto mount daemon used by Ubuntu or some interaction between the drive mount daemon and Wine and/or Fab. IMGburn under Wine on my same setup always auto-detects disc insertions, so its probably something to do with Fab's disc detection routines not getting along well with Wine's drive handling routines.

The process I follow is to first insert the DVD, let it mount to the desktop (Gnome in my case), THEN launch DVDfab, which should nearly always find the DVD in the drive automatically when it starts. If it doesn't see the disc, exit Fab, eject and re-insert the DVD, then launch Fab again.

If you have multiple discs to rip, you need to exit Fab after a disc is done, insert the next DVD, let it mount to the desktop, then launch Fab again. It sounds like a hassle, but after a few times, it's not really any extra effort, assuming you have an icon on the desktop for DVDfab, since Fab saves all settings and paths in the GUI. You shouldn't have to change anything when you re-launch Fab.

Other distros may work with Fab better for auto detecting DVD disc changes while Fab is running if they handle optical drive mounting differently, YMMV.

post #6 of 74 Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Rgb, thanks for your detailed reply. Actually I found out that my trusty 5 year old LG DVD super-multi Burner is dying, that's why I was having problems.

I will try DVDFab again once I get the LG GGC-H20L (CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Bluray) that I have ordered as replacement.

Oh, and as that's my first HD-DVD/Bluray device, I will probably start asking questions about what's the best way to get HD-DVD/Blurays backed up as MKVs on Linux...

post #7 of 74 Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Oh, and as that's my first HD-DVD/Bluray device, I will probably start asking questions about what's the best way to get HD-DVD/Blurays backed up as MKVs on Linux...

I've been using AnyDVD in an XP VM to rip my blu-rays, but if a free version of DVDFab will do the same thing in Wine, then that would certainly be preferable.

tsmuxer works great for getting the m2ts files joined and converted to a format that MKV can accept, but I've had a problem with the VC-1 vdpau codec in mplayer reading these files (it says "missing headers" and falls back to software decoding). I've only tried it once, though, so I could have done something wrong.

DumpHD has been pretty useless to me because the aacskeys library won't find the VID on any of my blu-rays, and I would have to resort to "hammering" the drive in Windows with DumpVID and a licensed player such as PowerDVD. So, I've just been using AnyDVD because it's really a "one-click" thing and it always works.

Getting the blu-ray into an MKV is definitely a topic for a new thread, but I'd like to know how well DVDFab works for ripping blu-rays if anyone here has had any experience with it.
post #8 of 74 Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

Getting the blu-ray into an MKV is definitely a topic for a new thread, but I'd like to know how well DVDFab works for ripping blu-rays if anyone here has had any experience with it.

AFAIK, Fab should rip all non-BD+ BluRays, but I haven't tried BD's, only DVD's.

I believe the DVDFab guys are feverishly reverse engineering AnyDVD, so Linux should be good to go re: BD+ ripping via Fab in a few months...

post #9 of 74 Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

AFAIK, Fab will rip all non-BD+ BluRays, but I haven't tried BD's, only DVD's.

I believe the DVDFab guys are feverishly reverse engineering AnyDVD, so Linux should be good to go re: BD+ ripping via Fab in a few months...

Awesome, thanks rgb. I don't think any of my BD's are BD+, but I'll have to check (lol, I only have like 2 anyway ).
post #10 of 74 Old 08-24-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

The process I follow is to first insert the DVD, let it mount to the desktop (Gnome in my case), THEN launch DVDfab, which should nearly always find the DVD in the drive automatically when it starts. If it doesn't see the disc, exit Fab, eject and re-insert the DVD, then launch Fab again.

If you have multiple discs to rip, you need to exit Fab after a disc is done, insert the next DVD, let it mount to the desktop, then launch Fab again. It sounds like a hassle, but after a few times, it's not really any extra effort, assuming you have an icon on the desktop for DVDfab, since Fab saves all settings and paths in the GUI. You shouldn't have to change anything when you re-launch Fab....

Yep. That's basically what I do too. Although the only times I've had to eject/reinsert the disk are when the disk didn't appear on the desktop. If it's on the desktop then I just restart Fab.

I will add that sometimes it seems to help to wait about 15 seconds before relaunching Fab.

I added a launcher icon to the top panel so that I don't have to drill down through the menus every time (I usually can't see my desktop because I always have a bunch of junk open).

Oh, when ripping multiple disks, the following sometimes gets DVDFab to recognize the next disk without restarting:

When the rip is finished, close the Notification Dialog box.

Eject the disk using the button on the drive (DO NOT use any software eject/unmount buttons).

Insert the next disk and wait until it appears on the desktop.

Now click the DVDFab "Finish" button.

Within 5 seconds DVDFab should start "scanning" the disk. If it doesn't, exit DVDFab, wait about 15 seconds and then relaunch DVDFab.
post #11 of 74 Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Is the new DVDFab still working in Wine?
post #12 of 74 Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erod20 View Post

Is the new DVDFab still working in Wine?

Yes, the current version 7.0.4.0
http://www.dvdfab.com/en/download.htm

works as well as ever for me on Wine 1.1.36 on Ubuntu 9.04.

I only use it for processing DVD's- rip to hard disk, splitting a dual layer DVD into two single layer halves with menus on both (to preserve 100% quality with no reencoding- I kinda like switching disks during the movie- good time for a break, and reminds us HT old timers of the good 'ole LaserDisk days ), and sometimes using Fab's built in shrink function to reduce a dual layer DVD to single layer. Most of the time I prefer the classic DVD Shrink under Wine for shrinkg DL->SL as it's encoding is higher quality, though it takes longer.

post #13 of 74 Old 05-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Is it working for Blu-Ray, too?

Inquiring minds want to know!
post #14 of 74 Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone with a BD-ROM drive will have to test...

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The current version supposedly handles most/all of the BD+ discs.

post #15 of 74 Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM

I just got a blu-ray burner. I soon as I install and test it I will let you know if it works. DVDFAB is suppose to rip into MKV. I hope that works as well.
post #16 of 74 Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I have backed-up several blurays to unencrypted BDMV folder already, no problems whatsoever.
(I'm still using DVDFab 6.2.1.8, haven't tried 7)

post #17 of 74 Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I just got a blu-ray burner. I soon as I install and test it I will let you know if it works. DVDFAB is suppose to rip into MKV. I hope that works as well.

If it can rip a blu-ray straight into MKV then I will ditch my copy of AnyDVD and never look back.
post #18 of 74 Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM

On their site it shows doing Blu-ray to mobile. One of the options for mobile is MKV.
post #19 of 74 Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On their site it shows doing Blu-ray to mobile. One of the options for mobile is MKV.

Yes but to mobile means transcoded, I doubt mythmaster wants it transcoded, I certainly don't, I simply want it re-muxed to MKV like MakeMKV does.

post #20 of 74 Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

OK, since we've drifted so far from the original "DVDFab" subject of this thread then I suggest that we branch off a new thread for "the best media for backups" and state our arguments there.
post #21 of 74 Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, since we've drifted so far from the original "DVDFab" subject of this thread then I suggest that we branch off a new thread for "the best media for backups" and state our arguments there.

Be my guest...

...though I think the whole point and purpose of DVDFab is backup of optical media...

post #22 of 74 Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 PM

OK, here we go

You're right about the purpose of DVDFab, though
post #23 of 74 Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, here we go

You're right about the purpose of DVDFab, though

We might want to move the relevant archive/backup media posts to the new thread...

...might want to start an .mkv thread for those posts, too...

post #24 of 74 Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:

We might want to move the relevant archive/backup media posts to the new thread...

...might want to start an .mkv thread for those posts, too...

Whatever you think is fine with me. I guess that we'd have to PM the mods to get the posts moved.
post #25 of 74 Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I requested the backup media posts and mkv posts be moved to their own threads.

From here on, we'll keep to howto/tech talk on running DVDFab in Wine...

post #26 of 74 Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM

I just ripped Live Free or Die Hard and you can just re-mux the blu-ray to MKV without transcoding. The size of the MKV was 28GB which is close to the movie size.
post #27 of 74 Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ripped Live Free or Die Hard and you can just re-mux the blu-ray to MKV without transcoding. The size of the MKV was 28GB which is close to the movie size.

Was that using the 'to mobile' option, or some other option?

post #28 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I've noticed that the DVDFab 7.x series leaves an "afterimage" of itself in the upper left of the screen upon exit. Mousing over or moving a window over this GUI artifact "erases" it, or simply maximizing any window erases it- just an annoyance.

I thought that the latest versions of Fab, Wine and Ubuntu might resolve this, but it appears to still be an issue with WIne 1.1.44, Fab 7.0.5.8 beta and Ubuntu 10.04.

Doesn't appear to harm anything, just an annoying GUI artifact- probably Fab trying to display a "Buy me" (or maybe some exit error) or similar message on exit.

Anyone else NOT getting this on other distros?

post #29 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've noticed that the DVDFab 7.x series leaves an "afterimage" of itself in the upper left of the screen upon exit. Mousing over or moving a window over this GUI artifact "erases" it, or simply maximizing any window erases it- just an annoyance.

I thought that the latest versions of Fab, Wine and Ubuntu might resolve this, but it appears to still be an issue with WIne 1.1.44, Fab 7.0.5.8 beta and Ubuntu 10.04.

Doesn't appear to harm anything, just an annoying GUI artifact- probably Fab trying to display a "Buy me" (or maybe some exit error) or similar message on exit.

Anyone else NOT getting this on other distros?

Nope, doesn't happen here, I have just installed the latest 7.0.6.2 DVDfab on my main desktop PC (Mandriva 2008.1 with Nvidia 195.36.15 drivers) to check this. I'm using wine 1.1.27 since I haven't had a reason to upgrade to a newer version yet.

I'd imagine it's either a wine issue (newer version doesn't mean less bugs!) or a X/Nvidia driver issue or setting, rather than a distro specific issue.

post #30 of 74 Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, doesn't happen here, I have just installed the latest 7.0.6.2 DVDfab on my main desktop PC (Mandriva 2008.1 with Nvidia 195.36.15 drivers) to check this. I'm using wine 1.1.27 since I haven't had a reason to upgrade to a newer version yet.

I'd imagine it's either a wine issue (newer version doesn't mean less bugs!) or a X/Nvidia driver issue or setting, rather than a distro specific issue.

...or some interaction among Wine, X, and video driver.

Are you using KDE or Gnome? This is happening on Gnome...

Time to try Fab 7062 with Wine 1.2rc1. I expect the GUI artifact behavior to just go away with some combination of Fab, Wine, Gnome, X or video driver update.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page