Best flashplugin for linux? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using Hard Heron, and I don't think youtube and google video play very well. I was trying to watch some google videos last night and they were too choppy to watch.

I read on this website that you can install flash 10 which is better. So I followed the instructions and went to this page and downloaded the .deb, use the package manager gui to install it, but when I go to firefox and type about : plugins, it says

Quote:
File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

So did it really install flash ten? Is flash ten what I want for the best playback? Does google video use flash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All you should need for Ubuntu 8.04/8.10 is the Ubuntu .deb installer at Adobe-

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Also, Flash should auto-install on Firefox in 8.04/8.10 when you hit a site that needs Flash, except Youtube- try pogo.com to get the auto-install popup.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well I have a flash plugin, becaues youtube works, I'm just not sure if it's the best one I colud have. That website I posted said that you could go to the backports and install version 10 and that it was better than 9. I did it, but when I check in firefox I think it tells me that I still have version 9.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

If I remember right, if you did the synaptic install of Flash, it really put the flash library in /etc/alternatives or something. Check your actual /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to see if there is an old link in there pointing to /etc/alternatives. Worst case, go uninstall flash through synaptic and do the deb install manually if needed.
-Trouble
post #5 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Someone else can chime in on how to remove Flash 9 before installing Flash 10.

Another point is to ensure you have the proprietary ATI or Nvidia driver installed/enabled, and if using Nvidia, copy/paste the following to the Devices (nvidia) group in your xorg.conf file:

Option UseEvents "True"

This option reduces CPU utilization for video.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

See this is confusing which is why I made the thread. I never uninstalled Flash 9, because I didn't know I had to. I never uninstall anything else before installing anything, apt does it for me, like I didn' have to uninstall firefox 2 before firefox 3.

I tried to install flash ten like that website said by downloading it, and I also tried adding the hardy-backports repository and running apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree, but still firefox said it was shockwave flash 9. So I went to that adobe site, and now firefox about: plugins says flash 10. But my friend did the same thing and HIS firefox still says flash 9 even after the adobe site.

The computer in question doesn't have an nvidia chipset as far as I know, it's an Acer Aspire One netbook, and I don't know what kind of video card it has.

This is all very complicated.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page