Media HTPC IR and RF keyboards - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 107 Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well.... originally I was going to work on a MythTV box. That is on the back burner and now I am looking at the best way to connect my laptop, having modeline issues with HDMI, but S-video works ... but back to this thread....

If I am going to buy the SK-7500 I will now need a ps/2 to usb adapter to connect to the laptop. As mentioned earlier in this thread there are some issues with the cheap adapters but not sure I am willing to pay twice the price for an adapter then the keyboard

So I did a bit of searching and I may have figured out why the lower cost adapters work and the higher cost ones do. Looks like the lower cost adapters only connect the wires to the change the physical connection while the more expensive ones have a chip doing some processing. -- **edit** -- looks like RGB was right about the current draw. Answer Q&A number five also mentions current draw!

See link http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/179740 (second question and answer)

So by that theory something like the StarTech USB2PS2 should work and can be found for a bit cheaper then y-mouse. Also the converter listed second (part #USB-PS2) on this page should also work.

***EDIT***
I think I found the adapter listed here for sale cheaper here, here, here, and here $7.47 is the cheapest (plus shipping)

The ziotek website is here
***END EDIT ***

What do you think? Could that explain why the cheap converters don't work and why the Y-mouse does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 107 Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Let me know how the SK-7500 keyboard works out. That looks like the perfect one for me.
post #33 of 107 Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by killsforpie View Post

Let me know how the SK-7500 keyboard works out. That looks like the perfect one for me.

After over 10 years of using them, I don't think there's anything else to "work out"

Just buy one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 107 Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbear View Post

What do you think? Could that explain why the cheap converters don't work and why the Y-mouse does?

I think we established its the current draw.

Yes, the Pi Engineering unit has a chip that translates the mouse/keyboard into standard HID-compliant I/O. You probably want an adapter that mentions "HID".

I think all these dual PS2-USB adapters have a chip in them for the conversion. It's just that most assume less current draw. The only PS2-USB adapters that probably don't have a chip in them are the ones that convert a USB mouse or keyboard into PS2, and in this case, the mouse or keyboard has to be designed with this conversion in mind. Usually these adapters are included with USB mice or keyboards and connect on the cable end.

Please report your findings on the Ziotek, StarTech or any other USB-PS2 adapter you test with the SK7500.

It would be nice to know there are low cost alternatives to the Pi Engineering USB-PS2 adapter, even though the Pi unit is excellent quality.

post #35 of 107 Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Who grabbed the last two Y-Mouse's at surplusgizmos?

post #36 of 107 Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to power on the computer using a wireless keyboard? I have a BTC 9019.
post #37 of 107 Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnhickey View Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to power on the computer using a wireless keyboard? I have a BTC 9019.

Yes. Just go into the BIOs on your PC and set it to power up via keyboard. Some allow you to define what key powers up the PC.

This varies from mobo to mobo. Some may not have this option.

Some motherboards have a jumper to provide keyboard power when the PC is "off". This is needed to enable keyboard powerup.

post #38 of 107 Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Rgb,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

I prefer the SK-7500 over the original SK-7100 Airboard, in physical design and key type.

Is pc keybaords the only source for the SK-7500? I can't find it on ebay or any other internet retailer

Sorry if this is a double post. For some reason, the first one didn't show.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #39 of 107 Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Rgb,

Is pc keybaords the only source for the SK-7500? I can't find it on ebay or any other internet retailer

Sorry if this is a double post. For some reason, the first one didn't show.

Yes,

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/sk7500wireless.html

is the only source for the SK-7500 I am aware of in recent years, though Google Product Search just turned up

http://www.ioffer.com/i/PC-CONCEPTS-...-7500-28006402

I have never had an issue with the pckeyboards.stores site.

post #40 of 107 Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Rgb,

My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H) only has a single PS/2 port (although it does have a COM1 that I could optionally use) that I could connect to the SK-7500.

Is there any downside or upside to using the COM port (assuming Linux as the OS) as opposed to a PS/2->USB adapter?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #41 of 107 Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Rgb,

My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H) only has a single PS/2 port (although it does have a COM1 that I could optionally use) that I could connect to the SK-7500.

Is there any downside or upside to using the COM port (assuming Linux as the OS) as opposed to a PS/2->USB adapter?

I am looking at (eventually) getting the same motherboard and was actually curious about this same issue. I was thinking of trying to use the PS/2 port for the keyboard portion of the SK-7500 and a PS/2 to USB adaptor for the "mouse". I don't actually own either but hope to this by this fall

I would be grateful if you post back and let us know how it worked with this specific motherboard!

Thanks!
post #42 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rgb,

The mouse pointer on the SK-7500 receiver works fine via COM serial port. Be aware that popular distros like Ubuntu don't automatically support serial mice- you need to enable COM port mice manually.

See

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=22

post #43 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Hey,

I'm getting ready to add an OTA DVR to my setup (since DirecTV still isn't broadcasting my locals in HD). I'm playing around with an existing PC and have installed Mythbuntu 9.04. I wanted to use a Hauppauge HVR-2250 for the dual tuners, but couldn't get Linux to see it correctly. I'll wait for Linux drivers. Anyway, I installed a Hauppauge HVR-1250 and set up Myth to test things out before committing the money on the real thing. It works like a charm......almost. There's ALWAYS an almost

I can't get the remote to work. I've searched the web and everything seems to point to NO Linux drivers - for the card, yes, for the remote NO. I have a Logitech Harmony One that I'm currently using with my setup. Is the "IR keyboard -> learning remote" thing the way to go on this?

I value you guys' opinions. You've been doing this stuff longer than me.
post #44 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

The remote will work fine, it's the IR receiver that won't work. You can get an IR receiver that will work for a few bucks.
post #45 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 03:52 PM

I have the receiver/blaster from the 2250. I plugged it in and when I press a button, the blaster lights up. However Myth doesn't respond at all.

Do Hauppauge receivers just not work with Linux?

Where could I find a reasonably priced IR receiver?

Thanks again.
post #46 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wftomlin View Post

I have the receiver/blaster from the 2250. I plugged it in and when I press a button, the blaster lights up. However Myth doesn't respond at all.

Do Hauppauge receivers just not work with Linux?

Where could I find a reasonably priced IR receiver?

Thanks again.

search on ebay for HP media center IR receivers, they are known to work fine with Linux and with the Harmony remote. Should be around 10-12 bucks.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site:
post #47 of 107 Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 AM

Ah. USB. I was looking for something with a 2.5mm plug to go into the card. I see a few places, including ebay that has the HP receiver.

Thanks again.
post #48 of 107 Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

If you've got a serial port on the PC, this one works fine for me as well.

http://tekgems.com/Products/tg-pbr.htm
post #49 of 107 Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Hey,

I'm getting ready to add an OTA DVR to my setup ...

I can't get the remote to work. ....

The HDHomerun has a built-in IR receiver.
post #50 of 107 Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM

HP MEDIA CENTER USB IR INFRARED RECEIVER 5188-1667 - $10.

$9 for shipping

Other choices were $15 w/ free shipping from Hong Kong: 12 - 16 days to the USA.

I should have this by Wednesday. My HTPC is starting to come together. I'll be checking the forums for best mobo.

Thanks again.
post #51 of 107 Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HP MEDIA CENTER USB IR INFRARED RECEIVER
I should have this by Wednesday. My HTPC is starting to come together. I'll be checking the forums for best mobo.

Thanks again.

No need to go trawling forums, it's all here:
The Five Best Linux HTPC Motherboards

post #52 of 107 Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

The mouse pointer on the SK-7500 receiver works fine via COM serial port.

Thanks for the tips. Keyboard is working fine in ubuntu 9.04 w/the COM port.

Linden
post #53 of 107 Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be grateful if you post back and let us know how it worked with this specific motherboard!

Working great so far. I was able to find a used SK-7500 on eBay and I connected via the COM: port. Working nice so far, except that when I log out of gnome/kde, I lose access to the mouse portion of the keyboard.

Now on to getting my iMon LCD and remote to work with ubuntu.

Linden
post #54 of 107 Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Moved to here - I figured it was a new topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178732

Tomlin
post #55 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well I finally got around to purchasing the SK-7500. Plugged it into my old computer and it works great! I hope to verify that my remote can learn the signals from it this weekend.

Only thing to work out is how to connect the mouse to my new motherboard.

The motherboard I have for the HTPC (Asus P5N7A-VM) has one keyboard/mouse ps2 port, a bunch of usb ports, and to get serial you need to purchase a connector to the motherboard. So as I see it I have three options

1) Don't use the mouse on the SK-7500 and use a usb pointing device

Pros:
a) Easy
b) Can use extra mouse on future computers with USB ports

Cons:
a) Lame setup!
b) Cost of mouse
c) Extra item to loose
d) Not as convenient

2) Use a ps2 usb converter as mentioned earlier in this thread

Pros:
a) Easy setup
b) Can use on any new computers with USB ports

Cons:
a) Cost of converter
b) Not sure if cheaper converters will work (as mentioned in this thread)
c) Kind of lame setup with converting from serial to ps2 to usb

3) Use serial port on computer

Pros:
a) clean setup, no external adapters

Cons:
a) Hard to setup?? With Ubuntu 9.10 looks like it work differently the previous versions
b) May need to re-setup for every major upgrade
c) Cost of connector
d) Would only work in future if new motherboard had serial available on the motherboard.
e) Loss of a pci slot (not that big a deal)

Any thoughts on the best way to go?
post #56 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Another option that may work, but I have not tested, is a serial to USB convertor cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

cheaper than the mobo serial port bracket!?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Inc-_-12191092

and much less cost than a high power capable PS2-USB adapter.

So, the USB-serial cable may be the lowest cost method without taking any slots on your PC.

I tested the monoprice USB-serial cable above with a serial port version of the 3d Connexion Spaceball 5000 controller under Ubuntu 8.04 without issue.

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=845786

Serial mouse HOWTO
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialMouseHowto

post #57 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I would get the serial bracket, you can get it cheaper on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motherboard-Com-...260512992306QQ

Else ask at some local computer repair store, they might salvage one for you from some old scrapped computer for free.

post #58 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

OK Couple of things to report.

I called up Pckeyboard.com and asked about usb adapters for the SK-7000.

Jim was very nice and helpful. He hadn't heard of motherboards with only one ps2 port (neither had I until recently) and said he didn't have any official recomendations. BUT he did say he had a couple USB/ps2 adapters which he had used and worked for him. They are:

Kingwin UPS2C

IOGear GUC10KM

Bytecc BT-2000

They are all fairly inexpensive and don't seem "special" in any way!?! I havn't been able to determine a common factor except they say they are all for both Windows and Mac.

I didn't mention Linux as that typically makes people stutter and say "Linux isn't supported"

I was able to borrow a couple of peices of equipment to try out tonight. First was a simple ps2 to USB adapter. About 1.5" lg, female ps2 on one end male USB on the other end. As expected it didn't work (Try the simple solution first)

I then was able to borrow a serial to USB adapter per Rgb's suggestion. WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!! The part number on it is U232-P9 and I think this is the brand

http://www.mct.com.tw/web_c/html/pro...&Page=1&PID=18

Next step is to see if there is anything special about this USB adapter (not thinking there is) and buy one for myself!

I am using this keyboard currently and it works very well with a couple of minor gripes.

1) No scroll. I knew this going in and it will not be a big deal for it's final use, but websurfing is painful for me without scroll
2) The left Fn key and the Ctrl key need to be switched.... I keep hitting the Fn key when I try to cut and paste.
3) For some reason my mind wants the upper right most key (pause/break) to be the delete key. Probably just a personal problem

On the plus side, the typing is very good, good key spacing, good balance, good weight (feels solid but not heavy) and easy to hold on to when using the mouse stick.

I think I'll keep it
post #59 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Else ask at some local computer repair store, they might salvage one for you from some old scrapped computer for free.

I was going to suggest this- you tend to collect a drawer full over the years building PC's

post #60 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK Couple of things to report.

I called up Pckeyboard.com and asked about usb adapters for the SK-7000.

Jim was very nice and helpful. He hadn't heard of motherboards with only one ps2 port (neither had I until recently) and said he didn't have any official recomendations. BUT he did say he had a couple USB/ps2 adapters which he had used and worked for him. They are:

Kingwin UPS2C

IOGear GUC10KM

Bytecc BT-2000

They are all fairly inexpensive and don't seem "special" in any way!?! I havn't been able to determine a common factor except they say they are all for both Windows and Mac.

I didn't mention Linux as that typically makes people stutter and say "Linux isn't supported"

I was able to borrow a couple of peices of equipment to try out tonight. First was a simple ps2 to USB adapter. About 1.5" lg, female ps2 on one end male USB on the other end. As expected it didn't work (Try the simple solution first)

I then was able to borrow a serial to USB adapter per Rgb's suggestion. WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!! The part number on it is U232-P9 and I think this is the brand

http://www.mct.com.tw/web_c/html/pro...&Page=1&PID=18

Next step is to see if there is anything special about this USB adapter (not thinking there is) and buy one for myself!

I am using this keyboard currently and it works very well with a couple of minor gripes.

1) No scroll. I knew this going in and it will not be a big deal for it's final use, but websurfing is painful for me without scroll
2) The left Fn key and the Ctrl key need to be switched.... I keep hitting the Fn key when I try to cut and paste.
3) For some reason my mind wants the upper right most key (pause/break) to be the delete key. Probably just a personal problem

On the plus side, the typing is very good, good key spacing, good balance, good weight (feels solid but not heavy) and easy to hold on to when using the mouse stick.

I think I'll keep it

Great report!

Can't believe I didn't think to call pckeyboards.com myself and ask what PS2-USB adapters they have tested and/or recommended!?

Good to know there are other low cost alternatives- I assume the guy at pckeyboards tested both the keyboard *and* mouse capability with those PS2 adapters.

Good to know the serial-USB method works, too. Which distro did you use to test the serial-USB method? Did you have to manually enable serial mouse support?

re: no scroll wheel- that's what PgUp and PgDown and arrow keys were invented for

Another workaround- configure the mouse to do Autoscroll in Firefox Preferences, then enable middle mouse button emulation per
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-paste-649868/

in your xorg.conf, pressing L&R buttons = Middle button press
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Then, pressing both keyboard mouse buttons will enable Autoscrolling in Firefox- a little tricky to get used to, but it works.

If someone knows how to assign a keyboard key to act as a middle mouse button, that would work with Autoscroll also.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page