Good frontend for sdlmame? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Title says it. I have artwork and stuff, what's a good frontend?

Also, has anyone tried this controller --> well, newegg seems to be down right now. I'm looking real hard at the Logitech RF game controller (I think this is the same one that newegg has for $30) --> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...403-DT&cat=JOY I don't think the rumble works in linux, but I don't care. I'm thinking about getting 2 of them. Any thoughts or experiences?

TIA

Also, while I'm on the subject, what are the best emulators that are still in active development? I have (or will have):
* sdlmame
* zsnes
* gens/gs (http://info.sonicretro.org/Gens/GS)
* pcsx2 (http://www.pcsx2.net/about.php)
Which are best for other systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I don't have it working yet, but I'm trying Wah!Cade --> http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade.shtml. It looks promising.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Newegg's back up now. Here's the controller I'm looking at --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826127209. I think it will work (?). I'm getting 2 of them, so I'll let you know.

I'm moving next week, so I'll have to hold off on ordering anything, but I'll get an external drive to hold my games, too, since my board has an esata port.

My 3 cousins all have kids, so I want to have some games ready for them to play. Plus, I love the retro stuff. I don't have Wah!Mame working right, yet, but it's just a matter of pointing to the right files/directories. I'd still like to know if you're using a different frontend for sdlmame and how you like it.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just buy yourself an xbox 360 wireless controller. I think mine was 42$ so it was more cash, but it's wireless and Linux saw it without me doing a damn thing and it's pretty much the defacto standard on the Windows side of the mirror. In fact in Intrepid, it made it a mouse by default which is weird but it still worked as a controller in xmame. I bought it back in November, done a fair bit of gaming on it and it's still on the first set of batteries. It's built far better than the last Logitech Whateverpad I had from circa 2001. Really, it's pretty good and universal. The only complaint I could raise is that I wish it were larger but I think they're all more or less the same size.

Other than xmame directly, I've tried kxmame which is mediocre. I do most of my emu gaming on my mac with osxmame. Nothin' like a little puzzle bobble on the laptop while the wife is thinking I'm listening to her honeydew lists!

-Trouble
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a slightly last-gen version of the Rumblepad.. maybe they've improved it, but I can't say much good about the one I got with regard to MAME (tried in both Linux/Mac). Directions just aren't very precise (ie. in Robotron, where you can move/shoot in both + and X directions) using the 2 joysticks.

Don't forget to check craigslist.. I just picked up a wireless joystick from a guy over in Durham for $15. He also had a wired one for $10.. it plugged it and worked with no hassle for me. I figure for some games, the gamepad, for others the joystick, and for some, nothing yet that is ideal. the joystick is a bit too tall.. but has better precision it seems for pacman, etc.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, you guys -- I was starting to think that nobody loves me!

I've seen reviews on newegg that say zsnes picks up the Logitech controller in linux without effort, and I'm sure that I can bitch-slap it around some if sdlmame doesn't like it right away, so I'm going to go with it and see how it plays out.

Game controllers aside, no-one's answered my main question about a frontend for sdlmame -- is Wah!Cade the pretty-much de facto standard, or do I have other (possibly better) options?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

Thanks, you guys -- I was starting to think that nobody loves me!

I've seen reviews on newegg that say zsnes picks up the Logitech controller in linux without effort, and I'm sure that I can bitch-slap it around some if sdlmame doesn't like it right away, so I'm going to go with it and see how it plays out.

Game controllers aside, no-one's answered my main question about a frontend for sdlmame -- is Wah!Cade the pretty-much de facto standard, or do I have other (possibly better) options?

My Logitech Dual action and Logitech Freedom 2.4 were both picked up with sdlmame, just config controls for "this game" or "all games" and press a button or move anything and the command was learned.

Sorry I have not tried any other front ends.. frankly my googling didn't get me any further than sdlmame.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'd say there is a very limited choice to frontends. That mamewah thing is new to me though it's been a while since I've looked. At the same time there are pretty slick (though limiting in the sense that you gotta do a bunch of work beyond the amazing basic limited capabilites) for other OS's. At the same time, while I wish for better, a decent list that I can click makes me moderately happy.

-Trouble
post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, again. I *still* don't have Wah!Cade working yet, but I've been pretty hands-off today. I think it will turn out OK. The main thing that I want is to see is the cabinet picture and/or screenshot of the game. It looks like Wah!Cade will deliver.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 PM

Liked: 12
I built a whole arcade cabinet complete with controls and use AdvanceMenu as the front end. It's not perfect and is a bit to set up but very powerful and customizable.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post

I built a whole arcade cabinet complete with controls and use AdvanceMenu as the front end. It's not perfect and is a bit to set up but very powerful and customizable.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with QMC2 --> http://www.mameworld.net/mamecat/
post #13 of 14 Old 01-29-2009, 01:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

I decided to go with QMC2 --> http://www.mameworld.net/mamecat/

Can this be used full screen and with only buttons/joystick? How about launching other types of emulators?

I have Advancemenu loading on boot and I don't need a keyboard/mouse at any point. I also use it to load laser games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace) via Daphne.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post

Can this be used full screen and with only buttons/joystick? How about launching other types of emulators?

I have Advancemenu loading on boot and I don't need a keyboard/mouse at any point. I also use it to load laser games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace) via Daphne.

You can run it full screen and control it with joystick/buttons. It only works with sdlmame and sdlmess, though.

I'm pretty happy with it so far except it thinks all of my previews, flyers, and icons are obsoleted and it won't show them.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page