Plz, Help me pick a PCI GPU (with VDPAU, for future MythTV release) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 01-31-2009, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

Heh, better not. As of rev 19732 IT IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE TO RECORD!

NO shows are scheduled, and IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to schedule any further shows in any way, even rolling back to 19564, which I know did work. My Myth setup is shot. I have to start all over.

I am sick of differing major problems with every release. I need this thing to work. When I rebuild next week I'm going back to 0.21, and to hell with VDPAU.

D'oh! Thanks for the warning. I hope it's something that will be quickly resolved.

I thought you had it working well, so why did you update?

Anyway, as mentioned, you can patch 0.21-fixes for VDPAU, so no need to totally give up on it.

Also, someone is working diligently on patching xbmc for VDPAU and making good progress, so maybe before too long only a stable mythbackend and mythweb will be necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:

I am missing Napolean Dynamite

Oh, noooooes!!! The WORLD, it must be ENDING right now!!

Seriously, though, now you know how I feel about getting RAPED by this upcoming spending plan...(SIGH). Not to bring politics into it or anything, it's just that I like debating with you about that kind of stuff, so maybe we can find an appropriate place to do it.
post #33 of 43 Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I really don't have time to think about it; I am trying to get a new fund floated.

Good luck!
Quote:

But I would ask why you don't feel raped by the Treasury Secy giving away much of the prior $700b to Wall St, with absolutely no strings attached?! That money has now disappeared and has done absolutely no good. And just how do you square the nationalization of several major financial institutions, with 'giving the market free hand'? Bass-ackwards.

I totally agree with that, although technically it was a loan, and we should expect repayment with interest (whether we get it or not is another story).
Quote:

I don't expect that Obama means change; as you know, I wanted Nader. We are already so far in debt that it simply can not be paid back now, thanks to your friends. Job losses are accelerating, including your own. Hopeless, and monetization of the debt (hyperinflation) is inevitable.

Again, I agree. Republican spending was way out of control during the Bush administration, and that totally pisses me off. But, one thing that you can't deny is that his tax cuts created jobs, and that's exactly what we need today --> http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen...5323844-1.html (P.S. Click on "Skip This Ad" if it shows up )
Spending has NEVER PULLED ANY COUNTRY AT ANY TIME OUT OF A RECESSION!!! Note that we can stop hyperinflation if we STOP PRINTING MONEY!!
Quote:

P.S. - VDPAU sure ain't in fixes.

There's a patch somewhere...I think OP linked to it above.
post #34 of 43 Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Oh, I am too weary to explain to you how the massive economic imbalances from tax policies and deregulation enacted from 2001-5 led directly to the serious recession we have now. You may be too young to remember the oil and real estate crash of the late '80's which were a direct result of Reagan's policies of the early '80's, coincidentally the exact sort of plundering policies of the early '00's. People just can not remember or learn, and are frightfully susceptible to propaganda (looking at you), so are shorn time and again.

"shorn"? LOL! Guess I was wrong about thinking that the masons were above name-calling. It was the housing bubble -- "Hey, everbody, git yuze a house!! Credit? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CREDIT!!!" -- that caused this freakish recession. It was seen from afar, but I honestly can't say that any politicians made an honest effort to stop it. I hope I'm wrong.
Quote:

Oh yes it has, time and again.

I will require specific examples of when spending has drawn a nation out of recession. You will not be able to produce them.
Quote:

But on another subject we will either have to print money, or have national financial collapse for not being able to pay the debt service. We are very close to the Crowding Out Effect, and may in fact be experiencing it now, although as a Mason I am almost certain something else is going on.

We certainly don't have to do this. We can easily cut taxes.
Quote:

I've found it now:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6182
... unfortunately my R5000 patch causes a compile crash.

There's also an Ubuntu repo, though I can't use it as I must have my R5000:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/

Just wait a coupla days or so, and your recording problems will be fixed in svn.

UNLESS YOU PISS ME OFF!!!

Just teasing, of course!
post #35 of 43 Old 01-31-2009, 11:31 PM

Seriously, though, quantumstate -- I think that your R5000 patches require 0.22 (I may be wrong?); so if things are fudged, then give them a few days or so. The 0.22 branch is moving rapidly despite the fact that it isn't quite stable yet. It will be shortly!

Just have some patience.
post #36 of 43 Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mythmaster,

I haven't had a chance to setup the display profiles yet, but I wanted to catch you with a set of quick questions before you left out-of-town.
  • How do I upgrade?
    I've built from source, so how to I get the latest revisions from SVN? How can I upgrade .22?
  • Also if I want to how can I uninstall safely/completely/successfully (w/out formatting)?
    Last time i tried to revert from mythbuntu weekly trunk builds back to .21-fixes, all my dependencies got screwed up (hence the need for format and re-install), and then there's the issue of the DB not being backwards compatible:
    Code:
    mysql -u root -p
    drop database converg;

I am considering reverting back to .21-fixes and try out that VDPAU patch again using the display profiles if I can get it to work with .22...
I am worried about the trunk now, after hearing quantumstate & yourself go back and forth about it's stability(or lackthereof).

Thanks for all the help, It's truly appreciated.
Have a safe trip,
-BassKozz
post #37 of 43 Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Sorry, bro -- system is going down now. Plenty of smart folks around here to help you out.

@QS: thanks for the b&f -- I'll be back to disagree with you later
post #38 of 43 Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassKozz View Post

I also figured out why I was having the resolution problems earlier with xorg.conf, X couldn't configure my LCD display panels settings because it is hooked up via a KVM, ....

DOH! that's interesting. I wonder if that's why I've always had problems with my monitor?

In my case, my monitor has a built-in switch. But I never use the second input. So I'd basically forgotten all about it until you said the word "KVM".
post #39 of 43 Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am still having some issues, and I want to revert back to .21-fixes w/ VDPAU patch to see if my issues are TRUNK (.22) related or not.

Can someone tell me how to remove/uninstall mythtv trunk that I've built so that I can revert back w/out having to format/re-install again?
Including the DB?
Thanks in advance,
-BassKozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

DOH! that's interesting. I wonder if that's why I've always had problems with my monitor?

In my case, my monitor has a built-in switch. But I never use the second input. So I'd basically forgotten all about it until you said the word "KVM".

Glad I could help
post #40 of 43 Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Have a safe trip

I did, thank you!

Quote:

I am still having some issues, and I want to revert back to .21-fixes w/ VDPAU patch to see if my issues are TRUNK (.22) related or not.

Can someone tell me how to remove/uninstall mythtv trunk that I've built so that I can revert back w/out having to format/re-install again?
Including the DB?
Thanks in advance,
-BassKozz

To wipe out trunk and start fresh:
* Go to the mythtv directory where you ran "make install" and run "make uninstall"
* Drop the mythconverg database:
Code:
user@office:~$ sudo mysql
[sudo] password for user:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \\g.
Your MySQL connection id is 210
Server version: 5.0.67-0ubuntu6 (Ubuntu)

Type 'help;' or '\\h' for help. Type '\\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> drop database mythconverg;
Query OK, 95 rows affected (0.42 sec)

mysql> quit
Bye
user@office:~$
* Remove ~/.mythtv:
Code:
rm -rf ~/.mythtv
* Remove /etc/mythtv:
Code:
sudo rm -rf /etc/mythtv
* If you put a script in /etc/init.d, then remove that, too, e.g.:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend
post #41 of 43 Old 02-16-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, "real life" got in the way again;
Code:
rm -rf real life

Thanks for all your help mythmaster,

I ended up just reformatting an re-installing Xubuntu again, updated with the latest Nvidia drivers (180.29) & patched mplayer, and installed Mythbuntu +fixes +VDPAU patch, and everything is running really Smoothly .

I am sorry I failed you (not using trunk), but I am alot happier now

There are still quite a few things I have to figure out (i.e. properly setting up channels w/ Schedules Direct, etc...) but I will have to save those questions for another thread(s). I think this thread is DONE
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if threadcount -gt 40
then
killall "Plz, Help me pick a PCI GPU (with VDPAU, for future MythTV release)"
fi

Thanks again for all your help mythmaster, you-da-man
post #42 of 43 Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM

As long as it's working properly, you haven't failed anyone!

Glad I could be somewhat helpful.
post #43 of 43 Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM

You just didn't format that rm -rf properly, Bass.

It should be:

rm -rf "real life"

Sorry, just couldn't resist...

And for something maybe even useful:

I've had my resolution limited to 640x480 and 320x240 when my monitor is powered off. I just reboot with the monitor powered on to get all the resolutions back. This has happened when the monitor is powered off when I start the machine, and when the monitor was powered off while running.

Since rebooting solves it, I've never bothered to look further into it. This machine is my daughter's karaoke machine, with a 500Mhz P3 and a 32MB GeForce MX card and NVidia drivers.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page