Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick Question for ya mythmaster,

If I setup the mythbuntu weekly builds, NVIDIA & avenard.org repo's in Intrepid, and then later upgrade to Jaunty will I need to go back and update the repo's for Jaunty or will they automatically update themselves to their Jaunty versions?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll need to update the repos as there are different ones for jaunty (same links as above, however).

P.S., I've updated top-post to XBMC's new repo.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM

As I just did this, I can tell you, if you use 'update-manager' to do the update, part of the process will comment out all non-standard repos from your sources.list.

You'll need to add the Jaunty version back to the sources.list after the update completes.
See here:
http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_...epository.html

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
Belleville, MI
post #5 of 13 Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it worth it to upgrade? Or should I just stick with Intrepid?

Since I have the 'weekly build' repo for mythbuntu shouldn't I be getting the same updates as i would with Jaunty anyways?
And I am getting the VDPAU patches from avenard and NVIDIA drivers from launchpad, is there really a need to upgrade to Jaunty? Will I be missing out on anything?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

You're already using Jaunty stuff from the weekly that's probably newer than what's in the official release, so "upgrading" would likely give you older packages! I could be wrong about this, but that's the impression I get. If that's the case, you could probably go ahead and use the jaunty repos for 3rd-party stuff.

Hopefully someone can double-check me on this.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The developer of SMPlayer has compiled both SMplayer and Mplayer with VDPAU support for Hardy, Intrepid and Jaunty. They're available here:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing
post #8 of 13 Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got my first Blu-ray DVD. It is the latest Star Trek movie, with all new actors (except Leonard Nimoy). I have a Atom N330/ION HTPC with a Slimline Blu-ray player in it. I found that playing a Blu-ray DVD in Linux is not as cut-and-dry as some want to belive it is.

I first tried the method listed in this Ubuntu How-To (I am using a beta version of 9.10).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...BluRayAndHDDVD

This method did not work. It seems to rely on codes that are found while playing the DVD on a Windows PC. This DVD may be too new, as there was no code for it. I then used DVDFab to rip the DVD to my hard drive. But DVDFab, or Wine, did not properly recognize my Blu-ray drive.

To enable Blu-ray drive, and other drives and partitions in wine, I first needed to run the wine config program. When I did this it did not show any drives. To correct this I first needed to run this command:

sudo rm -rf ~/.wine

Then run the notepad program, found in the wine menu.

Applications>Wine>Programs>Accessories>Notepad

Then start the Wine config program, either from the menu or with this command.

winecfg

I followed the advice posted in another thread, click the "Drives" tab and select "Autodetect". I then was able to rip the Blu-ray DVD using DVDFab.

In order to play the ripped file, I needed to have a version of mplayer compiled with vdpau codec AND vdpau output. The latest version available from Ubuntu has the vdpau codec, but not vdpau output. I enabled the repository from rvm, found here:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing

I then installed mplayer/mencoder from that repository. I still had trouble playing the ripped file, so I specified the codec and video output from the terminal, and that seems to work.

mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau -vo vdpau /movies/BluRay/MainMovie/STARTREK11D1AC/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts

Thanks to all who provided the needed info to do this. I did have some glitches in the playback (aka: "artifacts"). If there are any ways to improve the playback, let me know.

I also am wondering if there is any way to transcode this into a mp4 file. I have ffmpeg compiled with x264, but I haven't gotten good results from it, yet. Can Handbrake use a m2ts file as the input?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'd try playing it with XBMC first, but, yes, you can convert from m2ts with Handbrake. Fortunately, XBMC is much easier to set up for VDPAU playback, and I've had better results with it. You just add the repo, install, and set it for VDPAU.

If it still doesn't play smoothly, then you'll probably want to try to keep as much of the bitrate as possible with Handbrake instead of using a preset. There's a Handbrake thread stickied if it comes to that.

BTW, great movie and Happy New Year
post #10 of 13 Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, it is a good movie. And being able to watch it on my MythTV box made it even better.

Is is OK to have XBMC on the same system as MythTV? Since this is mainly a MythTV box, I don't want to change it too much.

And a Happy New Year to you too! I just popped a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve, no stinkin' bubbly wine for me!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, no reason it can't run both. I haven't used MythTV since I moved last Feb (before I got set up for Blu-Ray), but I was under the impression that it can play m2ts files with VDPAU using its internal player. You might have to add the file type. OK, I see that it's supported OOB with 0.22, so that's worth a shot.

That beer looks prety awesome -- I'll have to see if my package store carries it.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-01-2010, 06:39 PM

People searching for the most recent NVIDIA drivers and versions of mplayer/smplayer that support vdpau should visit this rather new repository:

https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

This group is called the "Nvidia Vdpau Team." I don't know whether it's sanctioned, or directly sponsored, by NVIDIA, but they maintain .debs of the 185, 190, and 195 NVIDIA drivers and an array of software that is compliant with those drivers and the vdpau API. I'm using their 195.22 driver release and their libvdpau, which I needed when I compiled the forked mplayer with ordered chapters support as outlined in this post.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I must have missed that repository. I see that they also have a version of Kaffeine available.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page