Dual Digital tuner card for US - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the last item needed and I am having a tough time picking a good supported card. I want to be able to watch / record OTA TV and have the opportunity to capture and record a possible future free to air sat receiver addition. The HVR-2250 seems to fit that bill however after some research it appears as of date the card is not that well supported.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr2250.html

Is anyone able to watch / record and capture with this card yet?

The only other dual tuner card that people are saying works well is the HDHR

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun

But no capture ....and my myth box will be in another room without cat-5 pulls so it will have to be all wireless. My current wireless setup is G mode ....wonder if that will be enough speed?

My original plan was to find a good dual digital card and connect it via pcie-1. Also this leads me to another question...on all that I have been reading the mpeg2 encoders are for analog tv which is no longer ...so do we even need mpeg2 encoders anymore and what about digital encoders for the new OTA single ...will there be encoders for this so we can speed up recording tv shows?

Sorry for all the questions but this linux pvr stuff can get confusing after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Well I'm totally confused.

Any DVR software that works with the HDHR will be able to record, so I don't understand your "no capture" comment. Since you said "watch/record and capture" in the previous section you seem to be implying something other than recording but I can't figure out what.

AFA the wireless issue is concerned, if you were planning on using a PCIe card then you must have planned to have an antenna cable run to your myth box. In which case, should you decide to use an HDHR instead, you'd probably just place the HDHR next to the myth box (where the antenna cable had to be run in the other case) and then do a short cat5 cable run between the HDHR and the Myth box. I guess you might need a switch if you one have one ethernet port on your myth box, but the wireless router shouldn't get involved in any of this.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
by capture, I assume he means capture non tuned signals, like you can do with the old PVR-x50s (like captureing from a video camera, or VCR, etc.).

No encoding is needed for digital signals - that are simply tuned and captured and are already in mpeg-2 form (for ATSC OTA). I'm not sure what you mean by speed up recording.

So are you planning on having a frontend connect via wireless G to a backend to view recordings? That will probably struggle with HD recordings.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Dvico Fusion HDTV7 Dual Express. $89 + shipping on ebay for the Korean version. Ordered one about a week ago. Haven't gotten it yet. Get english docs from theit website. It has video capture via s-video/composite but don't know if it works in linux.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

By capture I mean connecting a output from my potential future sat receiver to my myth setup so that I can record the content as it passes through...this is called capture right? Or say I want to record a dvd or vcr tape while watching it ...again capture is what I thought this was called. So when the HVR-2250 says it has inputs so that one may connect up a sat receiver via s-video

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037

" Composite/S-Video and audio inputs, for cable or satellite set top boxes or VCRs."

I was assuming this means that I can play content from my sat box etc... through the card and record the output I am watching on the screen to disk for future viewing again. That feature does not seem to be present on the home-run which would require me to buy just a capture card ...yes? As far as the network was concerned, if I choose a HR, your right. I would connect it to the myth box via a cross over cable or I am sure the HR has built in MDIX. I still need to access my myth box from other parts on the network to stream content or be able to watch content remotely over the internet....I don't have any cat-5 pulls where the TV is so perhaps a USB wireless card might work to get it on my local network.

Thanks newlinux, you answered my other question. There is no need to encode current OTA because it's already in the correct format...that's where I was wondering about speed processing time but from what you stated this is of no concern anymore. This is one of the reasons I was drawn to the HVR-2250 because it had dual mpeg-2 encoders, one for each tuner, compared to other dual tuners which only had one encoder...now I know this is not needed anyways.

I found this review from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Keywords=linux

This card seems ideal as it has everything I need "all in one" and it's internal so there will not be more stuff laying around....hopefully It will work for me to and the drivers will get better.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wnewell, I will look into the Dvico Fusion HDTV7 Dual Express...see if I can find some reviews please post back on how it goes. Does the linux driver/s have to support the s-video input feature of these cards I thought it was just a pass though and therefore would display any content passed though it to the display without a need for specific drivers...I need to research this and make sure this is feasible in linux otherwise the HR is a sure bet If i cant use these capture features which would suck as I want to record to disk some free ota sat content later.

Thanks again guys for the help.!
post #7 of 18 Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

The dual express has been supported in the kernel since 2.6.27 iirc. The HVR-2250 should work with the new drivers, but the dual express is cheaper. What I really want is support for the new AverTVHD duet dual atsc/qam card, but I don't know when/if that will happen.Might buy one to tinker with. They're only $59.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks man, I just hope the HVR-2250 has a quality built tuner as the area I am in is fickle picking up this new digital signal. I think it has a lot to do with just living in a apt. stuck with indoor antennas and the fact we live on the backside of a major airport. I hear the home run has a very sensitive tuner and hope the 2250 is the same ...from my research hauppauge seems to be a decent manufacture. I am thinking of getting this antenna as a lot of folks are saying it's a good indoor unit If needed to fill that role.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/C2-Cle...V-antenna.html
post #9 of 18 Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM

That antenna just receives UHF channels, btw.

Quote:

Optimized for the post 2009 UHFdigital frequencies. Designed for reception on core UHF DTV (ch 14-51).

post #10 of 18 Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

New breakthroughs in efficiency & size. The first all new antennas optimized for the post 2009 digital frequencies. Designed for reception on high VHF (Ch 7-13) and core UHF (ch 14-51). Ultra efficient design now allows powerful antennas to be smaller than ever thought possible.

I think we only have one station "WFAA" which is broadcasting in vhf but it's on channel 8 so this should be able to receive it.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

WFAA is digital channel 8 and now broadcast on channel 8 since June 12. Other stations in the DFW area that use vhf are channel 11 (cbs) and 52 (ind). There are also some more, but I don't watch them. What airport or you close to? I'm in Wylie, 40+ miles from the transmitters and i get all the stations fine with a ChannelMaster 4228HD, available at Frys for $69.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah....http://www.antennaweb.org

shows 52, 8 , 11 and desoto in vhf

I only care about 8 and 11.

We live on the W side of DFW airport and getting a signal has been somewhat difficult using indoor antennas. So, you have a nice antenna ...I looked it up but don't think my lady will continue to be happy and make dinner if I put that beast in the apt. This is why I like the C2 as I should be able to put it in the window behind the curtains.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

If you have a south facing window, you shouldn't have a problem with about any antenna as long as it's uhf/vhf, The transmitters are at about 175 degrees from you. A decent set of rabbit ears with a uhf lop should work unless you have obstructions. You might also consider an outside wall mount antenna. Or one mounted on the window ledge.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have both these models: Phillips sdv2710/27 & sdv2210/17.

Both have been tried facing south out the window connected to my RCA OTA converter. They work but you have to consistently turn and tweak them for whatever channel you want which is very stressful.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Take them back and get your money back. They are both junk. Did you check the rating s on them? Pitiful. If you want to try something cheap, I installed this on a set up in OK that worked OK.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...odsInSession=1

Watch the line wrap. Also note the ratings on the Philips and Terk antennas at rat shack.

I've never tried any of these, but if you get them to fit your location, they should work well.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/ss1000.htm
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/ss2000.htm
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...arpshooter.htm
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/hdx1000.htm
post #16 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...they were spur of the moment buys from target during last years cowboys games. Don't think I have the receipts anymore Hast makes waste....but eagles vs cowboys in like 1-hour can do that. I have been looking at the http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...arpshooter.htm

Cant decide if the C2 is better or the winegaurd SS

AD: http://antennasdirect.com/ ...has not answered my questions about the C2 for the DFW Area and if it can pick up the few High Bank VHF channels we have or when they will be back in stock. Due to FB session being here in a few weeks I might have to go out on a limb and get the Winegaurd SS.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

post #18 of 18 Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagseed View Post

opinions on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-HDTVO-HDt...500918&sr=1-55

I was looking at that one before. It has great reviews, and it's amplified, so you should be able to pick up everything. It's directional, so make sure all of your stations are in about the same place from you.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page