post #61 of 90 Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Perhaps its time that the article should be updated or un-stickied in the forum?

I didn't ask for it to be sticky, Rgb did that.

I have thought about writing a 2010 version, but currently I don't see any ideal HTPC boards.
ION boards are certainly great for HTPC use but since we still don't have hardware accelerated Flash video playback in Linux, the same caveat as last year still applies.

With regards to microATX boards there doesn't seem to be any boards that are far better then others for HTPC use, since Nvidia hasn't released any new IGP chipset and ATI is still a no-no as far as Linux video playback is concerned.

So these days it's really just a matter to choose any decent mobo and stick a Nvidia 210 or 220 on it (or go the Atom + ION route).

It could be interesting though to collect our collective wisdom in this thread, so if anyone has any suggestions of current mobos that for some reason work really well as Linux HTPC mobo then post them here.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

As you said.. until we get accelerated Flash drivers, life is kinda boring And/or, at this pace, Apple's war on Flash may be over before then

Also seeing such a lack of innovation b/c of the Intel/nVidia lawsuit, preventing the nVidia chipsets for the new Intel chips... then again, its quite a price jump for the i3/i5/i7 chips/mobo/memory... and I don't know why I'd need the performance.

Egads, what's a gadget-freak to do... guess I'll have to look into SSD
post #63 of 90 Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I didn't ask for it to be sticky, Rgb did that.

I have thought about writing a 2010 version, but currently I don't see any ideal HTPC boards.

...we could just rename this thread "Linux HTPC Motherboard Recommendations" so it encompasses both former boards that may be out of production and new recommendations.

Still a good reference for a sticky thread.
post #64 of 90 Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Egads, what's a gadget-freak to do... guess I'll have to look into SSD

Yeah, even as pricey as the fastest SSDs are right now, it stills seems like buying an SSD is more bang for the buck than upgrading to any of the new CPUs.
post #65 of 90 Old 05-08-2010, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...we could just rename this thread "Linux HTPC Motherboard Recommendations"

How do I change the thread title?
When I edit the title of the first post it just changes the title of the first post, not the thread title.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #66 of 90 Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

When I edit the title of the first post it just changes the title of the first post, not the thread title.

The same thing just happened to me on another forum. I think that a mod has to do it.
post #67 of 90 Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If you haven't already, I asked Bob Sorel to rename this thread "Linux Motherboard Recommendations"
post #68 of 90 Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most recent comments on this thread noting that there currently is no one mobo that stands out over others has been helpful to me when trying to decide what to buy for a backend-frontend system that will sit in a closet and act as a frontend only about 10% of the time for a theater room (an Acer Revo frontend will be used 90% of the time). I've been hunting for that perfect VDPAU capable system and found the mobo choosing very limited.

Would this mobo, processor, and GPU make a good backend-frontend? I'm building my first MythTV system with one dual-tuner HDHomeRun, an old PVR-150 analog tuner or two, and I may want to add a 1394 firewire card and try and pull from a SA8300HDC cable box as well. This system is for a local cable system that has a lot of clear QAM and analog channels. I don't mind overspending a little in order to have a system that will do commercial flagging rapidly, etc., in that this will primarily be used for time shifting TV shows.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128425

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115222

ZOTAC ZT-20203-10L GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500130

Also, not to hijack a mobo thread, but does anyone know if the fans on the GT220 boards will slow down or even stop spinning altogether when the system is essentially not acting as a frontend (i.e., no graphics changes). I'm reluctant to get a passively-cooled GPU, but this system really won't be performing as a frontend but about 10% of the time or less so having that fan not operate should extend the fan life (I've had poor luck with fans being the first thing to fail in systems that typically run 24x7 over the years).
post #69 of 90 Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
It feels wrong to me to spend money on an IGA chip that you aren't going to use and which is taking up space that could be used by more CPU cores.

But Intel's current CPU line and future roadmap is so confusing and full of dead end sockets that I have a hard time making any recommendations about their products.
post #70 of 90 Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Received an e-mail the other day that newegg is again in stock with the ASUS P5N7A-VM!

I thought they were to be discontinued and was happy I could find one 9 months ago before everywhere ran out of stock!

I have used it since then and have been happy with it.
post #71 of 90 Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM

northbear: Are you by chance using the ASUS P5N7A-VM with firewire capture? If so, what 1394a card are you using? My current mobo has onboard firewire which works with my cable box "most of the time", except when it doesn't.

I may be upgrading mobos for reasons unrelated to firewire, but would like to keep that capability and noticed that the ASUS P5N7A-VM doesn't have it onboard.

Thanks for any info.

/Greg
post #72 of 90 Old 08-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Sorry I can't help as I don't have any need for firewire with my components and as such I was not concerned with the lack of firewire on the MB.
post #73 of 90 Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM

thanks for replying, anyhow, I appreciate it.

/Greg
post #74 of 90 Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM

post #75 of 90 Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the tip, mythmaster. I had found that page this afternoon.

Based on its responses, it looks like this card uses the chipset that several people have had success with (including with my cable STB): If its not too off-topic for the thread, have you had any experience with this card or chipset?

Thanks again for the info.

/Greg
post #76 of 90 Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM

I haven't been able to use firewire since I moved 1.5 years ago, but I think that I was using a NEC card or maybe a TI. I'll have to dig it out to be sure.

But, no, I've never used a Lucent one.

I kind of miss it, but I had to reset the STB quite a bit. I wasn't using any of the channel-changing scripts, though, and P2P didn't work on that box.
post #77 of 90 Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Just to update, I used the ASUS PN57A-VM with this Firewire card and it seems to work fine right now under Lucid with my Motorola DC-6200 box.
post #78 of 90 Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Just FYI for those who are interested; the Asus P5N7A-VM is on sale for $79.99 (plus 7.56 for shipping) after a $30 rebate. Rebate is good thru 8/31/2010

I bought one to use as a replacement for my desktop computer. I liked the idea of having a spare around (just in case) and that I am already familiar with the board.
post #79 of 90 Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the heads-up northbear! This rebate actually applies to any purchase in July and August, so I could use it for my recent buy (see above.) Nice bonus for me, so thanks for the pointer.

/Greg
post #80 of 90 Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM

Aww man I want it! Can't buy it today though.. should do some more research anyway. But this thread is very helpful!
post #81 of 90 Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLongarms View Post

Aww man I want it! Can't buy it today though.. should do some more research anyway. But this thread is very helpful!

Well you may be in luck. There is a new rebate for the P5N7A-VM for September and newegg lowered the price $5. Guess I should have waited
post #82 of 90 Old 09-04-2010, 07:24 PM

What do you guys think of the Gigabyte boards GA-H55M-USB3 or GA-H55N-USB3 in a low profile HTPC system? Coupled to a i3-530 cpu, would I still need a graphics card to decode h.264 streams? Even though I have good experience with building PCs, I'm coming up to speed with HTPC systems. I'm reading up on the topic as much as I can, but still I feel I know close to zilch!
post #83 of 90 Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM

I am using a 2010 Mac Mini which does hulu well but mythtv/Remote support blows.

According to this link:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac-M...eardown/3094/3

the mac Mini is using a Nvidia Geforce 320M (similar to a 310M chip). Does anyone know of a board that has something like this on it. Can anyone suggest a build so I might put together a similar system.

Also how about using laptop motherboards for a htpc.
post #84 of 90 Old 09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if anyone has suspend working fine with the Nvidia drivers, I have 2 PCs and a laptop with Intel IGPs where suspend works fine, but it doesn't work on my PC with Nvidia graphics card and Nvidia drivers.

You posted this quite a while ago, but did you ever solve it? There's some good information in this thread, but be careful: there are some modifications to the instructions for later versions, as detailed in post 190, and a link to different variations to try and find which one works in post 204.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471855
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=190
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=204
post #85 of 90 Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Liked: 17
Well I've gotta warn you guys about the ASUS P5N7A-VM -- it will destroy all the data on your disk. This happened to me two years ago when I had a power fail. At the time I blamed it on the BTRFS filesystem, and switched to RAID10 and JFS. But it's just happened to me again. Power fail, and now my whole 4TB array is destroyed. ("Bad fs/superblock", etc) So I am ditching this mobo fast. I thought I was safe with RAID10, but I've just lost two years of my extensive and valuable movie collection, and it's infuriating.

I want the AMD platform, but must have microATX. The only mobos with the newest nVidia NF980ASLI chipset (MSI NF980-G65, Asus M4N82 DELUXE, m4n98td) are ATX, as well as those with the NF780ASLI, so it looks like I am forced to stick with Intel.
post #86 of 90 Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry to hear that, but what makes you say that it's the mobo's fault?

Have you tried a manual fsck.jfs ? (after making sure the md array is online, see /proc/mdstat ?)

post #87 of 90 Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes fsck.jfs fails. What else is there? Before I was using btrfs and one drive and no RAID, and now I was using RAID10 and two drives and JFS. Power fail once again, and filesystem destroyed. I blame the firmware for the drive controller. I took almost every precaution.

It could be the PSU. BTW have you tried posting on the JFS mailing-list?
The JFS authors do give assistance to help you in recovery attempts if you ask nicely.
Don't assume your data is lost before you try them.
http://jfs.sourceforge.net/

This mobo is perfect for the backup server (and it's AMD), this would be my choice:
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-m880g-...0gitx-a-e.html

post #88 of 90 Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post
It's not JFS man.
Sure it's JFS, you said yourself the fs is JFS. If you want to get your data back then you need to repair the corrupted JFS fs, it doesn't matter what the cause of the corruption was.

Unless you tell me that the the disks have been physically fried and the raw disk device isn't accessible anymore, the data will still be all there on the disks and can almost certainly be recovered if you ask for help on the JFS ML.

But then it doesn't seem like you are interested in recovering the data, only in randomly dishing out blame (otherwise you would have posted a lot more details, like exact errors you are getting, output of fstab, etc.).

post #89 of 90 Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Liked: 17
Well, I've explained the problem with my best knowledge, to the end of helping others, but what I get back is skepticism and an accusation that I am emotionally reacting.

I've accumulated far more motherboard info now than is anywhere on this forum. But I am not here to bicker, so I'd better keep it to myself lest I be accused of challenging the status quo or some other ridiculous assertion.
post #90 of 90 Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 AM

Been reading a lot in this site for a while and thought this might be a good place to dive in and create some useful information for me and others. Hopefully we can revive this once useful thread. I looks like a great place to keep new (& old) users aware of current boards in one obvious place.

Back to the main topic: motherboards (& APU?)

I am looking to put together a Video Library System for multiple TVs with one central server for content. I have chosen to go with the same common components for both Server & Client to make sparing and repair simpler. After a month of research, I have selected the GigaByte GA-A75M-UD2H motherboard and AMD A8-3800/3850 to power both: it this has PCI-E 2.0, 5 x SATA6, 1 x eSATA6, USB3, IEE1394, GB LAN and up to 32GB memory (for caching later). It is a bit of overkill for the Video (GT 430) Client system but should be future expandable enough for the Server. I am open to other suggestions.

I did see a lot of other motherboards and comments stating "any will do" but they were scattered all over the place. Hopefully this thread will once again rise up to provide the newcomers, like me, an obvious place to start (??maybe other threads for video, ...??)
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page