Official Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic/ Mint 8 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 146 Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good catch, Zim. I didn't realize it was out of date either. I'm going to go back and edit my post in the other threads with the more current repo you posted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post

Good catch, Zim. I didn't realize it was out of date either. I'm going to go back and edit my post in the other threads with the more current repo you posted.

Its the Nvidia Vdpau Team PPA, which has 190.42.. but I haven't found a PPA yet that has the 195 beta. Nicely, this PPA also has (s)mplayer, I would presume (but we know that can get us in trouble) compiled for VDPAU so its a free bonus there (IMO).

I toasted my install enough times (in the early days) installing the drivers by hand that I'm willing to wait for a PPA now.
post #93 of 146 Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquid View Post

Upgraded to 9.10 this evening, everything went pretty smoothly. Haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but so far the big news (for me) is that the new sound architecture actually seems to work. I get sound out through HDMI for both Myth and Flash (used to be one or the other). That by itself is worth the upgrade.

Fullscreen flash still looks very choppy on my system, but at least I can hear the audio now. I am still using the 185.xx Nvidia driver. I intend to updgrade to the 190.xx now that it is an official release, in the next few days. Maybe that will help?

Karmic seems to have broken MythThemes: now if I use any theme other than the default (G.A.N.T.), Myth crashes. I am still using 0.21+fixes, so maybe this won't be a problem when I upgrade to 0.22.

There's my noob report.

I'm suprised more people haven't made a big deal or talked about the new sound stuff in Karmic/Mint 8, kinda a basic HTPC issue

The new sound Preferences/control panel appears to be MUCH nicer than the old one, making things like SPDIF output (IEC958) simpler to enable, though they should use the term SPDIF in addition to IEC958 in the dialogs/dropdowns to further clarify for noobs.

A shot of the new sound panel-

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/wp-c...references.png

Overview of the new sound stuff, with what appears to be much improved Pulseaudio-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281006

" markbuntu
I got Kukis in my aspire one!

Beans: 4,169
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Karmic 9.10 Sound Control (beta)
This is about getting familiar with the basic sound controls in Karmic and making use of them. This is based on a clean stock install of 9.10 beta and assumes that all your sound hardware is basically working. Sorry, but this is not about no-sound troubleshooting or other hardware issues.

Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 includes many changes to the sound scheme among them is the new gnome volume control has integrated a lot of the previously missing PulseAudio controls to make your life easier. It is based on Pulseaudio 0.9.18 which is a vast improvement over previous versions.

(if you are using Kubuntu 9.10 this is probably not going to help you much. I will try to get around to that sometime soon.)

The first thing to notice is the new speaker icon on the panel. As usual a left click will gain access to the volume control which you can also control with your multimedia keys. A right click will bring up a small box with a mute button and Sound Preferences.

Sound Preferences
Right click on the panel volume control (the little speaker icon) and select Sound Preferences. At the top of the box is a volume slider and mute button and below that a bunch of tabs. Sound Preferences is also available in System/Preferences/Sound

Sound Effects
The first tab is Sound Effects where you can select the sound effects and theme and adjust the volume or set them to mute. You can also select No sounds in the drop down box. I have not tried to add another sound theme

Hardware
The next tab is labeled hardware, this is where you set up your sound hardware devices for input and output. If you have a built in sound device, web cam, usb sound device, pci card, or HDMI capable graphics card these all should be listed here. I have 6 of these myself. To configure each device just click on it and then use the Profile: drop down box to select the input and output configuration you desire or you can just turn it off by selecting off.

Input
Here you can adjust your microphone inputs for all you hardware. Just click on the device and adjust the slider. If it has more than one input you can select the one you want to adjust in the drop down box.

Output
Here is where you select which output device you want to use, just click the button. You can also adjust the volume and balance using the sliders.
Applications
This will show all your applications that are playing sound, adjust the application volume or mute it.

Trying it Out
OK, it's time to try this out. Leave the Sound Preferences box open to the Applications tab.

Go to Applications/Sound and Video/ and click on Rythmbox Music Player. To keep things simple select one of the radio stations by double clicking it. You should see a the progress bar filling up and the word buffering. Look in Sound Preferences. There is Rythmbox, yay!! Can you hear it? If you can then you are all set. You can adjust the volume or mute it but let's turn it up. Click on the Output tab. if you have a usb headset etc, you can move your music to that device by just clicking the button. This will also move your multimedia keys to that device or can adjust the volume with the sliders etc. If you cannot hear Rythmbox make sure that you have the proper device selected in Output and the proper output selected in the Hardware tab. You will not hear anything if you have Digital output selected and your speakers are connected to the analog outputs.

Recording
Lets' try to record something from a microphone.
Go to the Input tab in Sound Preferences. Make sure that you have selected the device your microphone is plugged into and the volume is turned up all the way and not muted and you have the right Connector selected. The Input level bars will help you figure that out. Once you have that figured out we can record something. Open Sound Recorder and click the red button. You are now recording so quick, say something. Click the square box to stop recording and then push the green triangle to play back. did it work? If it did you are all set. If not then read on.

Gnome ALSA Mixer
If you want more fine grained control over your hardware or you are having some trouble with recording then you should get the Gnome ALSA Mixer which is in the Sound and Video Section of the Ubuntu Software Center which is at the bottom of the Applications menu.
The Gnome ALSA Mixer has one tab for each of your hardware devices. For each device you can go to Edit/Sound Card properties and select which items you want to appear in the panel so you can control them. Some devices have a lot of items and some only a few. You can adjust the volumes of your inputs and outputs and mute them, select the IEC598 output and choose the input sources and set the capture and mic boost levels which are important for recording. Some of these things are also controlled by the panel volume control but some are not so the Gnome ALSA Mixer is a handy thing to have.

The PulseAudio Controls
If you want to be able to record what is playing in your speakers or have your music play on all your devices at the same time you need the Pulse Audio Controls. You can get these from the Ubuntu Software Center/Sound and Video. If you select the Pulse Audio Device Chooser it will install the rest automatically and they will appear in Applications/Sound and Video. Click on the Pulse Audio Device Chooser. This will put a little audio jack icon on your panel. Left click on it and choose preferences and check the box Start Applet on session login if you want it to stay there when you reboot.

Simultaneous Output
If you want your sound to play on all your devices simultaneously then click in the PA device chooser and select Configure Local Sound Server. In the Simultaneous Output tab check the box then close it. Click the pa device chooser again and select Volume Control. Click the Output Devices tab and in the box at the bottom select All Output Devices, You should now have a device named Simultaneous Output to..........If you click on the little green button you will make it the default fall back output device, If you have Rythmbox playing it will be in the Playback tab. At the right side is a box that shows the playback device click on that and change it to Simultaneous Output.......

Recording what is playing in the Speakers
Now that you have the Pulse Audio Controls this is easy. Open the Pulse Audio Volume Control from pa device chooser. Click the Input Devices tab. At the bottom click the box nest to Show: and select All Input Devices. Now, along with all the hardware input devices there are Monitors for them that will give you access to their outputs. To set the default device to one of the Monitors click on the green icon. To test this open Sound recorder and, with something playing through the device you selected the monitor for click record and record a few seconds. Now play it back. Viola!!

There, that was not so hard was it?

A few things you should know.
Simultaneous Output can use a lot of system resources at first especially if it is trying to output to more than two or three devices so if the sound starts skipping turn off the simultaneous output and try turning some of the devices off from the panel volume control/hardware and try again.
The various volume controls can crash or freeze up if you have more than one open at the same time so try to avoid that. They also control a lot of the same things so it is easy to make unintended changes. Tread carefully and try to remember how you went about things.
If you don't need to do the things that require the Pulse Audio Controls you would be better off to not install them.

Well there you go, basic sound control. If you have any questions, comments, or problems about any of this please do not hesitate to post.

regards,
mark"

I think the Recording what-you-hear function alone is worth the price of admission .

On Windows, you needed something like Total Recorder, a commercial "sound card emulator" to do this.

I think some benefits of Pulseaudio can be seen from the above overview- easy control of multiple audio devices, easy routing of audio, recording "what you hear" easily, without relying on special sound cards/drivers or loopbacks, etc.
post #94 of 146 Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I installed Mint 8 this morning, and I like it. GIven that it's now a superset of Ubuntu vs a close fork, there is little to worry about in using Mint 8 over Ubuntu re: compatibility with repositories, packages, drivers, etc.

One minor issue- Ubuntu 9.10/Mint 8 introduces a better, simpler method to add repository PPA's- rather than the older syntax:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu YOUR_UBUNTU_VERSION_HERE main

then manually adding the authentication key

http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pk...06767&op=index

Reference:
https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

Karmic/Mint 8 can use the simpler

ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

style syntax, which appears to auto-magically add both the Ubuntu version (i.e. jaunty, karmic) and the authentication key! No more manual Ubuntu version and key selection/adding.

However, Mint 8 identifies itself as "Helena" instead of "karmic" in

Synaptic->Settings->Repositories->Other Software

but the simple workaround is to click on the added repository in Other Software, then the Edit... button at the bottom of the Other Software tab, then change the Distribution field to "karmic" from the default "helena".

Mint should probably identify itself as Karmic by default given its 100% compatibility. Perhaps there is a way to change the default Distribution identifier in Mint 8 (gconf?), but I haven't tried.

re: Nvidia VDPAU PPA-

Works like a champ in Mint 8! Easiest Nvidia 190+ install out there

Just add the PPA, reload Syanptic, MArk for INstall all the nvidia-190 entries, then go to Hardware Drivers and Activate the 190.xx driver!

Waiting for 195.xx...

Having Flash, Java and some codecs installed by deafult is a nice feature on Mint 8- just need to add VLC and SMplayer and should be good to go...
post #95 of 146 Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

I'm suprised more people haven't made a big deal or talked about the new sound stuff in Karmic/Mint 8, kinda a basic HTPC issue

Karmic seemingly has no idea that I have SPDIF output available.. I can only select 2-ch analog in this spiffy new sound panel.

And yet, I have digital audio out the coax. (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=58)

So maybe it sucks slightly less than before??
post #96 of 146 Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, who tattled on me for dissing Karmic? I applied updates tonite and my gfx got toasted after the update and I rebooted into low graphics mode

Did it get confused having the vdpau ppa with drivers at the same time as the normal ubuntu repo and stepped on its own foot applying an older update ?!?!!?

I went in to Synaptic and removed all 190 stuff and then re-installed from the PPA. Did a reboot from terminal (since the icons were off-screen) and I am using the drivers again... .BUT I'm back to where the refresh rate looks off (things are slightly fuzzy/jaggy) and I cannot get it to change into looking good...

EDIT: argh... it used to be I could not get the change in settings to stick.. now I seemingly cannot even get it to take effect.. ok I can change resolution and see the effect, but not refresh rate
EDIT2: using the vdpau ppa, I do not see the 190 drivers in the Hardware driver panel, but they seem to getting used.

SOLUTION: had to disable GPU scaling... after that the fuzzies went away and I could apply refresh rates.. digtial version of the Claritin commercials
post #97 of 146 Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I'm back to Ubuntu 9.10 tonight- Mint 8 didn't have Xsane installed by default, while Ubuntu 9.10 does.

No biggie per se- trivial to install via Synaptic. The problem was in the Preview window, the Free Select rubberband function was broke in Xsane .996 on Mint 8, while the same version on Ubuntu 9.10 works fine.

For a HTPC, scanning may not be important, but this is my A/V editing/desktop machine, so I'm back to Ubuntu. Mint 8 was nice while it lasted...
post #98 of 146 Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:

I'm back to Ubuntu 9.10 tonight- Mint 8 didn't have Xsane installed by default, while Ubuntu 9.10 does.

No biggie per se- trivial to install via Synaptic. The problem was in the Preview window, the Free Select rubberband function was broke in Xsane .996 on Mint 8, while the same version on Ubuntu 9.10 works fine.

For a HTPC, scanning may not be important, but this is my A/V editing/desktop machine, so I'm back to Ubuntu. Mint 8 was nice while it lasted...

I'm sticking with Mint 8. Once you find your way around the system it is easier and makes more sense than Windows. I'm using it exclusively for a HTPC and surfing. I am getting VLC configured and lined out for subtitles. VLC uses ALSA so I guess I'll use PulseAudio for music. I unlocked the Phenom II 550 to X4 which is overkill. VLC runs three significant brute force decoding threads while playing a 1280 h264 mkv, two at about 20% and one about 40% all interweaving among the four cores with not much heat rise.

My next project is an editing machine. Looking at the prices, I don't think I will save much by downgrading.
post #99 of 146 Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post

I unlocked the Phenom II 550 to X4 which is overkill. VLC runs three significant brute force decoding threads while playing a 1280 h264 mkv, two at about 20% and one about 40% all interweaving among the four cores with not much heat rise.

Do all Phenom II 550's unlock to an X4?

Are there any known cases of bad unlocked cores on the Phenom II 550?

Do the Asus M3N78 and M4N78 support unlocking the Phenom II 550?
post #100 of 146 Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Answered my own question-

http://www.hardforums.com/showthread...1466404&page=2

Looks like it's a crap shoot re: unlocking the 550.

I asked because I just bought the A-II X4 620 myself, and was wondering if I should return it to get the PH-II X2 550 instead, but based on the discussion lined above, I think I'll stay with the 620, which I plan to overclock to a modest 3Ghz
post #101 of 146 Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Answered my own question-

http://www.hardforums.com/showthread...1466404&page=2

Looks like it's a crap shoot re: unlocking the 550.

I asked because I just bought the A-II X4 620 myself, and was wondering if I should return it to get the PH-II X2 550 instead, but based on the discussion lined above, I think I'll stay with the 620, which I plan to overclock to a modest 3Ghz

I was looking at the 620. They are about the same price. I took a chance and it may have worked. There may be a problem in the unlocked cores, but if there is I haven't seen it yet.

I ran Prime95 in Mint 8. With all cores at 100% it ran with the temperature creeping up to 140F for 5 minutes using the retail heatsink. Then the 530W power supply went into current limit and shut 'er down. I got the book out and looked up the specs and the +5 and 3.3v output is limited to 140 watts. The 12v that feeds the processor is 20amp. Sounds too close. If the processor had an error it would have probably locked up and froze instead.

I underclocked to 2.4G and it went 7 minutes.

Prime95 is a stress test and does not check all the functionality of a cpu.

The reasons I went with the 550 are - 1) for the 3.1 speed, and 2) for the extra 6M L3. There's a post here somewhere that suggests the extra L3 does not make a lot of difference in video decoding, but rather in encoding. There's another post that says there was a way in earlier bios's to unlock the L3 in an Athlon II, but disabled in later production software.

I don't think we could seen any difference in the 620 and 550 used in a HTPC, except for the X4 being maybe a little snapper.
post #102 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Still, there's no ordered chapter support.

If you're comfortable with the command line and compilation, you can find a version of mplayer with support for ordered chapters here. There have been patches for ordered chapters floating around for some time now, but they've not been adopted by the mplayer developers. If you're intending to build mplayer on a Debian-based platform like Ubuntu, running "sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer-nogui" will automatically install all the development files you need.

I wish SMPlayer would allow you to include a file multiple times in the playlist. Then you could simulate ordered chapters by surrounding each episode file with the OP and ED files. Last time I looked I could only include the OP/ED files once in the playlist. Maybe it's time to leave a note for rvm....
post #103 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

What will Ubuntu 10.04 bring to the table?

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/12/11/wha...-to-the-table/

"New look

Even though GNOME 3 will not be released in time for 10.04, Lucid Lynx will be getting a major face lift. The Ayatana Team of Ubuntu developers are working on an enhanced version of GTK+ that will include RGBA support. What does this mean? You know that sleek Aero interface that Windows Vista and 7 used by default? A Linux take on that theme will be enabled, out of the box, for 10.04. If you are more visual, then take a look at Figure 1 for a reference. Upon first glance I would immediately say that theme could be taken care of with the help of a few Compiz and Emerald tweaks. It can. But this is out of the box goodness. This is not preferences hacking, this is out of the box, global transparency for all applications. And this is transparency on the widget level – not border and window level.

Speed

Benchmarkings are out of the question as 10.04 is very much alpha. But word from Canonical is that coveted 10 second boot time just make make it to fruition. What they are doing differently this time is targeting a mid-range machine to reach the 10 second time. This will mean some machines will boot fast and some slower. The targeted machine: A Dell Mini 9 netbook. If they can get a netbook to boot in 10 seconds, imagine how fast your quad core will boot!

Also along the lines of speed improvements is installation time. Ubuntu 10.04 will install (under the hood) a bit differently than previous versions. In earlier versions the install required downloads to occur first. Now downloads and installation will happen in parallels so to greatly shorting the installation time.

Startup/Shutdown

One nice feature that was planned for 9.10 (but didn’t make it) is the ability to install updates at shutdown. Another nice feature proposal is a graphical OS selector for multi-boot machines. Instead of a text-based selection menu, you will have a GUI for the selection of your os too boot.

Ubuntu Software Center

When 10.04 releases, the Ubuntu Software Center will finally take over as the sole installation tool for Ubuntu. Synaptic, GDebi, and even the update manager will all be replaced by USC. Hopefully USC will include the ability to install more than one piece of software at a time."

I never had an issue with the Orange/Brown/Yellow default color scheme of Ubuntu, but nice to see the green style for a Spring release

Of course, anyone who ever complained about the Ubuntu theme showed themselves an idiot anyways, given how trivially simple it is to change the theme/color scheme (System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme).

I'm really liking the current default theme on 9.10 Karmic.

If the transparency effects in 10.10 require Compiz enabled, then no thanks for a HTPC, unless they fix video tearing with Compiz enabled.

Though not an Ubuntu-centric issue, one feature/enhancement I'd like to see in Gnome is mouse-over magnify effects for panel ("taskbar") icons, similar to Simdock, wbar and the OSX dock icon magnify effect.

I've just re-discovered the utility of the dual panel design of the default Gnome desktop used in Ubuntu- the top menu bar with the stock Apps/Places/System menu and the bottom bar used for the open Windows list/minimized windows. I now populate the top bar completely with icons for my most used apps and systray utilities (doesn't mean they are all running), effectively turning the top bar into an app launcher/"dock", with the bottom panel used for workspaces, minimized windows and Trash- after years of Gnome- I finally "get it"

Just wish the app icons in the top bar would magnify with mouse-over...
post #104 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Review: 3 top Linux distros go for different users

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...9&pageNumber=1

"To put them through their paces, I installed each distribution natively on a Dell Inspiron 530S powered by a 2.2GHz Intel Pentium E2200 dual-core processor with an 800MHz front-side bus. The test machine had 4GB of RAM, a 500GB SATA drive and an integrated Intel 3100 GMA chipset.

I also ran the trio on an identical system with MEPIS Linux as the host operating system, in Sun's VirtualBox 3.0.12 virtual machine. Finally, I took turning running Fedora and openSUSE on my Lenovo ThinkPad R61 laptop and ran Ubuntu on my Dell Mini 9 netbook. "

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/1...ifferent-Users

Good post:

"It doesn't matter at all (Score:3, Interesting)
by BadAnalogyGuy (945258) on Wednesday December 16, @12:08PM (#30459714)

Does the distro work with your printer without any complicated installation procedures?
Does the distro work with your audio hardware without any complicated installation procedures?
Does the distro switch between all the resolutions supported by your video hardware?
Does the distro have a reasonably good package installation mechanism?
Does the distro support your applications without special package installation requirements?

If the answer is affirmative to all of the above, then you've got yourself a winner. It's very cool how Ubuntu has essentially forced every other distro to get up to speed on these seemingly basic features. Otherwise, the distros are just flavored differently. It's all the same under the hood."
post #105 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

post #106 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I beg to differ, otherwise we would be all using and praising Windows and Ubuntu would have never have become popular in the first place.

re: popularity (i.e. number of users) issue-

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Ch...ait-68908.html

"Because Linux distributions are numerous, Google ported the Chrome code to a select handful of the most popular distros. Chrome for Linux is so far only available for the Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuse distros."

...which is exactly the point I was trying to make. The Googles of the world won't make an easy-to-install package for your distro if it ain't "popular", regardless of the technical advantages of a distro...

...so I tend to be easy on the faults of the Ubuntu's of the world beacuse they make it simple for us to install the apps we want/need. Yes, some of us technically minded users could do it ourselves if we had to, but to get non-technical users into the fold to enjoy the less tangible benefits of Linux/FOSS (freedoms, security, stability), the user-interaction stuff has to be simple.

I wonder if the Fedora .rpm will install in Mandriva?
post #107 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OpenSuse distros

OpenSuse is hardly more popular than Mandriva, the only reason it's chosen by google is because it's backed by a big company like Novell.

Quote:

...which is exactly the point I was trying to make. The Googles of the world won't make an easy-to-install package for your distro if it ain't "popular", regardless of the technical advantages of a distro...

Mandriva is pretty good at packaging up Google software for the Mandriva distro themselves, so that's not really an issue.
Not that I personally would ever install google spyware on my PC...

Quote:

I wonder if the Fedora .rpm will install in Mandriva?

Most likey yes, I have installed Fedora packages in Mandriva a few times without having any issues.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #108 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
If Synaptic doesn't work in 10.4 then I'm done with Ubuntu.

I also hate all the the stupid transparency eye-candy nosense. So that's another strike against it in my book.

I guess I better start switching over to Debian...
post #109 of 146 Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I also hate all the the stupid transparency eye-candy nosense. So that's another strike against it in my book.

I rarely ever use synaptic, but I sure hope that you can still install synaptic without any problems, and turn off the eye-candy.

I may be looking at Debian too (well I was anyway). Basically I'm gonna upgrade 8.04-10.04 on my servers and if it doesn't go well, then I'm probably gonna go Debian Testing.
post #110 of 146 Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RGB:

Your recommendation of the SMplayer frontend is just what MPlayer needs to make it work right. .... Still, there's no ordered chapter support. ....

Found this over in the SMPlayer forum:
http://smplayer.berlios.de/forums/vi...pid=7119#p7119

From this post in MPlayer-users list:

The git repo already has significant advantages for some fairly large groups of people:
* those who have a multicore CPU and want to take advantage of it
for decoding (easy to use support for threaded decoding with
ffmpeg-mt)
* those who use VDPAU (improved VO with more features, better
performance especially when using hardware decoding with
deinterlacing, and less bugs)
* those who play files with SSA/ASS subtitles (svn uses an
outdated embedded copy of libass, while git uses an up-to-date
version of the library; the newer version can handle more
features and has better vsfilter compatibility)
* those who play Matroska files with ordered chapters (ordered
chapters work in git, are not supported at all in svn)

and there are quite a lot of other changes. Most of the features will
likely never appear in svn.

So if you're willing to "git" mplayer and compile it then you can have ordered chapter support too.
post #111 of 146 Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found this over in the SMPlayer forum:
http://smplayer.berlios.de/forums/vi...pid=7119#p7119

From this post in MPlayer-users list:

The git repo already has significant advantages for some fairly large groups of people:
ffmpeg-mt)

So if you're willing to "git" mplayer and compile it then you can have ordered chapter support too.

I'm confused.. I thought git and svn were 2 version control systems (I'm generally allergic to such things and stay as far away as possible to the chagrin of my co-workers and boos)... are there 2 parallel dev trees for mplayer ?!?
post #112 of 146 Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

I'm confused.. I thought git and svn were 2 version control systems (I'm generally allergic to such things and stay as far away as possible to the chagrin of my co-workers and boos)... are there 2 parallel dev trees for mplayer ?!?

The version of mplayer in the git directory is a fork and not the "official" mplayer that's available via svn from mplayerhq.hu.

I actually tried building mplayer-mt the other day by getting the ffmpeg-mt code and replacing the portions of the mplayer code (libav* directories, etc.) with the -mt equivalents. It wouldn't build cleanly because of some issues with the swscale code that I can't yet track down.

So I tried rvm's approach using the git repository. This time the code builds cleanly, but it won't play the content I have that uses ordered chapters. In some cases it can't find the linked content at all; in other cases it seems to find the linked content but won't play it. Perhaps there's some problem with the particular material I'm using to test, so I'm going to try and track down some other content that uses ordered chapters and see how I make out. I'll report back if I have any news.

Otherwise top suggests mplayer-mt does distribute the work across the CPUs. Playing a 1080p program in 5.1 AC3 audio with the standard xv driver and threads=4 uses all four CPUs to varying degrees. Still even with such demanding content, mplayer reports CPU utilization at about 60% (Q6600 quad at 2.4 GHz). Interestingly if I switch to the vdpau driver (easy to do in smplayer), the CPU load on mplayer falls to about 40% but Xorg's CPU load rises from about 10% to 50%. Both approaches provide flawless playback; they just differ in how the work is distributed between the CPU and GPU as you'd expect.
post #113 of 146 Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

That's the impression I get. Here's more of the posts that I left off:

RVM (the SMPlayer developer posted:

It seems now things are different to get and compile mplayer from the git repository. This repository is maintained by Uoti Urpala and contains a different version of mplayer with new things (most important, support for ffmpeg-mt).

RVM then quoted the following post:

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 17:20 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Thanks for the link.
> Is the git repo replacing svn or what's the deal here?

As you can see Reimar still wants to keep doing development in svn the
same way as before, so the svn repo will probably exist at least for
some time. However the git repo already has significant advantages for
some fairly large groups of people:
ffmpeg-mt)

So it sounds like there's been a defacto fork.
post #114 of 146 Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

The version of mplayer in the git directory is a fork and not the "official" mplayer that's available via svn from mplayerhq.hu.

thanks .. makes more sense now
post #115 of 146 Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Testing with another source of programming with ordered chapters suggests the earlier content may be to blame. With this, more recent program, mplayer-mt correctly assembled all three files when placed in the same directory. It doesn't appear to handle timestamps correctly, however. When run from smplayer I see the total time for the main file without the additional times of the separate opening and ending credits. So when I pushed the navigation slider all the way to the end of the program, it still had to play the end of the main content (equal in time to the length of the opening) and the ending. From what I've read elsewhere, I think that problems like these may be what keeps the mplayer maintainers from adopting this code and adding it to the trunk.
post #116 of 146 Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Guide To Building An Open Source HTPC / Media Center on Ubuntu

http://www.linuxlookup.com/guide_to_...nter_on_ubuntu

Haven't read it in detail myself yet- appears to suggest both Elisa and XBMC front ends...

You would still want to install mythbuntu-desktop in Synaptic for tuner card control...
post #117 of 146 Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does Synaptic not work for you?

I suspect the transparency effects will be trivial to turn off in System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects-> None
post #118 of 146 Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does Synaptic not work for you?

I suspect the transparency effects will be trivial to turn off in System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects-> None

You must have mis-read my post. I'm saying that I'm so fond of and reliant on features in Synaptic that if they force me to use Software Center and make Synaptic unusable in the 10.4 release (which is how I interpret this quote: "Ubuntu Software Center will finally take over as the sole installation tool for Ubuntu.") then I'll dump Ubuntu so fast it'll make their head spin.

Hell, I'd rather switch to OpenSUSE and use YAST rather than not being able to use Synaptic and being forced to use that lame-ass Software Center instead.

Anyway, hopefully Debian will continue to support Synaptic and I'll just switch from Ubuntu to Debian rather than switching from debs to rpms too.
post #119 of 146 Old 12-19-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I decide this blog post by Shuttleworth doesn't justify it's own thread, so I'll just post it here...

Shuttleworth: My New Focus at Canonical
post #120 of 146 Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I decide this blog post by Shuttleworth doesn't justify it's own thread, so I'll just post it here...

Shuttleworth: My New Focus at Canonical

Well, hopefully he won't sell out like Suse did when it was bought by Novell...

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page