Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Well, hopefully he won't sell out like Suse did when it was bought by Novell...

...I think you mean we hope *she* won't sell out

Given her background at GD, she is the one who would probably be more likely to contaminate Mark with thoughts of "partnering" with other companies like Suse did with MS...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Installed Mint 8 & am impressed. I am even more impressed after setting up XBMC on it. This will now be the base for my new (3rd) Htpc build.

GOD Is Good
post #123 of 146 Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Nvidia latest Driver repository PPA

Quote:

Repository link:
https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/.../ppa/+packages

"Add that repo to your system and then install the latest NVidia driver using Synaptic (I believe it's a 195 driver now). Be sure to install ALL of the 19x files that you can find.

Once that's done, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and select the latest driver from the list and choose Activate. Then, restart if you get no errors."

I wasn't aware of this Nvidia repo. Thanks shane2943 and zim2dive

For the noobs- what this means is an easy, simple point and click way to get and install the latest Nvidia video driver in Ubuntu (and I assume Mint)!

+1 on this suggestion. Works well for me! The only problem I had was the overscan correction would not work after a reboot until I went into nvidia-settings again. This was fixed by autostarting
Quote:

nvidia-settings -l

or
Code:
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
at bootup as described here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=310016

see man nvidia-settings for more details
post #124 of 146 Old 01-22-2010, 06:19 PM

hoping this will work
post #125 of 146 Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbear View Post

Nvidia latest Driver repository PPA

+1 on this suggestion. Works well for me! The only problem I had was the overscan correction would not work after a reboot until I went into nvidia-settings again. This was fixed by autostarting

or
Code:
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
at bootup as described here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=310016

see man nvidia-settings for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

click on the link that says "technical details about this PPA" and add the lines to your Repository list.. then add the key to authenticate the Repo ... then when you launch Synaptic do a Reload to get the new info.. then search on nvidia-glx and you should see the 190 series.. mark for install, and apply... go have a beer, say a few prayers, sacrifice a goat and then reboot and see whether it worked

theres no link saying "technical details about this PPA" , how do i add the key to authenticate the repo?
post #126 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest View Post

theres no link saying "technical details about this PPA" , how do i add the key to authenticate the repo?

Go to: https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

Scroll down to "Adding the PPA to your system." You'll find the "technical details" link right below that.

To save time, here's the key itself. (It's linked from http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pk...767&op=index):

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: SKS 1.0.10

mI0ESk1KfgEEAN5z1vkd448Af2J0BBQEsoqbIO7u3ofItEFiItH0LxDZatZkDQFUP76BjLtR
VaMkVStZMdgjEe4inXvJFxTlu375sUhOUXsLmzX84AKlMaVOC/d8zWftPG2bYKF0AwBQFdmk
eMIL7S1r59FIQDUoOGNSGiNl7q6ZW81nRMwg7bG/ABEBAAG0H0xhdW5jaHBhZCBOdmlkaWEg
VmRwYXUgVGVhbSBQUEGItgQTAQIAIAUCSk1KfgIbAwYLCQgHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4BAheA
AAoJEB2r27TOwGdn+m4EAJ3oVdn7zPgaonFuZmfXuhrLUlSAdx5Iug/Snp3hjeIxAr2WeXzC
7LZ8xB+saDyIFIbTOjDZQI0qruUVx1h2muHY3NS0WoYrEJJ9PPF9Qx3JQlOnEmMjSL9lFOPX
/Vq3ULy4uZuMoZDr0Y0I0s4rKMmSmP6mswJL7pB+4/zNiv7D
=1407
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
post #127 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To actually add the key to your system, run this command.
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767
post #128 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

To actually add the key to your system, run this command.
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767

that's what i was going to say , i fllowed this steps ( on the site) :

How do I use software from a PPA?

To start installing and using software from a Personal Package Archive, you first need to tell Ubuntu where to find the PPA and how to verify the authenticity of its software.
Adding the PPA to Ubuntu

Step 1: Copy the first line from the apt sources.list entries section of the PPA overview page. For example:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu jaunty main

Step 2: On your Ubuntu computer, open System > Administration > Software Sources.

Step 3: Click the Third Party Software tab.
Screen shot of the top tabs in the Software Sources app

Step 4: Click the Add button.

Step 5: Paste the line you copied in step 1 and click the Add Source button.

Step 6: Now copy the second line from the apt sources.list entries section of the PPA overview page and paste it in just as you did in steps 4 and 5.

When prompted, reload the software sources information. Don't worry if you see a warning about unverified software sources; we're going to fix that next.
Telling Ubuntu how to authenticate the PPA

Now Ubuntu knows about the PPA. It also needs to know how to check the software hasn't been tampered with since Launchpad built it.

Note: This is not an endorsement of any of the software in PPAs. You must make sure you trust the PPA owner before installing their software.

Step 1: On the PPA's overview page you'll see the PPA's OpenPGP key id. It'll look something like this: 1024/12345678. Copy it, or make a note of, the portion after the slash, e.g: 12345678.

Step 2: Open your terminal and enter:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 12345678

Replace 12345678 with the key id you copied in step 1.

Step 3: Finally, tell Ubuntu to re-load the details of each software archive it knows about:

sudo apt-get update

You're now ready to install software from the PPA!
post #129 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Once you get the vdpau PPA set up and install the nvidia drivers and mplayer from there, don't forget (like I did) to use the correct switched to mplayer, see

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17983883
post #130 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Once you get the vdpau PPA set up and install the nvidia drivers and mplayer from there, don't forget (like I did) to use the correct switched to mplayer, see

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17983883

I installed the nvidia drivers, these:

Did i chose the right ones?
post #131 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like it. if you now go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, the 195 NVidia driver should be listed for you to choose to activate. Choose that and activate it. You will need to restart afterwards. Once you do, your system should be running on the drivers and VDPAU will then work.

I see you have Tiesto playing in your task bar. I freaking LOVE Tiesto. Awesome DJ. I'm a Ferry Corsten fan too.
post #132 of 146 Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post

Looks like it. if you now go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, the 195 NVidia driver should be listed for you to choose to activate. Choose that and activate it. You will need to restart afterwards. Once you do, your system should be running on the drivers and VDPAU will then work.

I see you have Tiesto playing in your task bar. I freaking LOVE Tiesto. Awesome DJ. I'm a Ferry Corsten fan too.

there's no "hardware drivers" in administration =/ , no option to open hardware drivers, im using ubuntu 9.10

I used to be a huge fan, dont know what happened i got into other artists ( electropop, indie... ) i enjoyed kaleidoscope quite a bit, i LOVE feel it my bones feat. tegan and sara
post #133 of 146 Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Strange. Not sure why there's no Hardware Drivers cp in your menus.

Ok, try this then, open a terminal and type:

Code:
/usr/bin/jockey-gtk
That will open the same Hardware Drivers cp.
post #134 of 146 Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Nothing happens, it says command not found or directory not found =/

do i have to change usr for my username? i did and i still get the same results

Heres a cap of my desk so you can see there´s no hardware drivers option =/ , it´s in spanish but you should be familiar with the icons
post #135 of 146 Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Now thats just dang strange. O_o

I see that you have the NVidia-settings control panel though. What happens when you open that?

Anyone else have an idea here? Not sure why his Hardware Drivers CP is missing.

EDIT: try opening Synaptic and type "Jockey" in the search. Jockey-gtk should show up. Installed that and Jockey-common. That will get you the CP to activate your NVidia driver.

Also, to take a screen shot, go to Applications > Accessories > Take Screen Shot (or whatever all that in Spanish is ).
post #136 of 146 Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Now thats just dang strange. O_o

I see that you have the NVidia-settings control panel though. What happens when you open that?

Anyone else have an idea here? Not sure why his Hardware Drivers CP is missing.

EDIT: try opening Synaptic and type "Jockey" in the search. Jockey-gtk should show up. Installed that and Jockey-common. That will get you the CP to activate your NVidia driver.

Also, to take a screen shot, go to Applications > Accessories > Take Screen Shot (or whatever all that in Spanish is ).

thanks! the jockey thing in synaptic made it work, ok i click on control panel and the controller that appears only says nvidia doesnt mention the version, says its activated and being used =/ , by the way it says no privatives drivers are being used, mmm arent nvidia drivers supossed to be privative?

PS. I know i can get screenshots from ubuntu, but in the living room i have no internet, thats why i do it that way xD

Anyway i think i got it right this time cuz i play the videos in smplayer and im monitoring the cpu usage and is wayyy lower =) , btw the videos that are "harder to handle for my pc" are x264 T.T
post #137 of 146 Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well, h.264 is a complicated format anyhow, but should be handled easily by VDPAU. Shoot, my old 8400GS handled h.264 content just fine.

Glad you got it working, man! When I check my CPU load in XBMC (press 'o' when the movie is playing to get the info) my CPU load is usually ~5% or so with VDPAU active.
post #138 of 146 Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Well, h.264 is a complicated format anyhow, but should be handled easily by VDPAU. Shoot, my old 8400GS handled h.264 content just fine.

Glad you got it working, man! When I check my CPU load in XBMC (press 'o' when the movie is playing to get the info) my CPU load is usually ~5% or so with VDPAU active.

ok im gonna try it, i'm almost sure vdpau it's not working on xbmc for some reason i ignore =/ even tough its activated in the options =/

EDIT: ok i just tried, and i was right vdpau is NOT working with xbmc , im getting cpu usage cp0:100% and cpu 2: 6% , any advise? T.T
post #139 of 146 Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM

OK today it's working magically cpu usage has come down to cpu0?: 16-20 % an cpu1: 7-8% but the audio is delayed i tried messing with the settings, specially the option " A/V sync method" , i tried audio clock, video clock (resample audio), video clock (drop/dupe audio) and had NO improvements with the audio issue =/

post #140 of 146 Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:

i dont have problems with h264 , its x264 the little f*cker! xD
post #141 of 146 Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Well shoot, if that the case, I won't be of much help. all of my stuff is in h.264 and I don't even know what x264 is!

I'm still in newb land somewhat too.

Best to ya, man! I hope you get 'er goin!
post #142 of 146 Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
X264 is an h264 encoder. In fact, it is the most state-of-the-art h264 encoder available - closed or open source. If you have problems playing back videos made by x264 it may be that the person who created those videos chose a set of parameters outside of the standard profiles that most h264 playback systems adhere to. (for example "level 4.1 main profile")

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #143 of 146 Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

X264 is an h264 encoder. In fact, it is the most state-of-the-art h264 encoder available - closed or open source. If you have problems playing back videos made by x264 it may be that the person who created those videos chose a set of parameters outside of the standard profiles that most h264 playback systems adhere to. (for example "level 4.1 main profile")

Interesting.

Since I just started using ffmpeg with the x264 libraries, I would like to make sure that my x264 videos are "standard". Do you have a list of what the standard parameters are?
post #144 of 146 Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

the 190 drivers still dont appear, are the same repositories posted in page 3 valid?

EDIT: Nevermind now they're visible =/
post #145 of 146 Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Based on my experiences with 9.10, corroborated by
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...a,2484-13.html

I continue to use 9.04 Jaunty until the 10.04 beta is released in a few weeks.

9.10 has locked up for me on several machines, with other random bugs and annoyances. Defintely a poor release from Canonical.

I am hopeful Canonical redeems themselves with 10.04, as it is an LTS release.

post #146 of 146 Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Based on my experiences with 9.10, corroborated by
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...a,2484-13.html

I continue to use 9.04 Jaunty until the 10.04 beta is released in a few weeks.

9.10 has locked up for me on several machines, with other random bugs and annoyances. Defintely a poor release from Canonical.

I am hopeful Canonical redeems themselves with 10.04, as it is an LTS release.

I'm still on 8.04 for my servers - awaiting 10.04 stabilization and then I'm migrating all my machines to 10.04 (and finally myth .22) - and probably buying and ion frontend to replace one of my frontends. My non servers (mostly laptops) are running 9.04 - I saw too many risks with going to 9.10 when 9.04 (And even 8.04) were fine for me. Hopefully everything works in one long weekend. I'm curious to see how well the 8.04-10.04 upgrade works. If I end having to do a reinstall everything, I might go debian - at least on some machines.

I'll probably wait at least until May to upgrade just to let the dust settle. Maybe even June.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page