Please recomend a tuner for OTA and QAM recording at the same time - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I am putting together a Mythbuntu HTPC machine and need a dual tuner or two separate tuners (with good Linux support) that I can use to record shows from HD OTA and Comcast QAM at the same time.

As far as internal empty slots, right now I have one PCI-E and one PCI slot open. USB is also an option too.

Please let me know the least expensive options you can think of. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The best option for your needs is the HD Homerun-

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0266804

Works out of the box with Linux/Myth. Dual QAM/ATSC tuners. Standard Ethernet interface- no drivers needed, works on any OS past, present and future. Doesn't add power/heat internally in your HTPC like internal card(s) would. Any computer on your network- wired or wireless-g or higher can see the tuners and watch /record TV using standard browser and network protocols, view the tuners (watch HDTV) with VLC player

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Unscrambled clearQAM, of course.

If you want to record scrambled HD channels, you'll need a cable box with analog HD component outs that haven't been disabled by your Cable/Sat OverLords () and the Hauppauge HD-PVR-

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0292609

Others can chime in with recommended internal PCI/PCIe tuner cards.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll second the HDHomerun choice.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HDHomerun!

One turner for OTA and one for ClearQAM from cable. Or get two HDHomeruns and then you're have two OTA's and two cables..... Just plug them in anywhere on the network and you're good to do.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The HDHomerun it is!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee44 View Post

Thanks guys. The HDHomerun it is!

I thought you wanted inexpensive? For half that you can install a couple of internal PCIe cards. Or I just picked up my 3rd HDT7 Dual Express card for $77 total. I need to quit buying tuners. Got 3 I don't use now. i think I'll throw them in a spare PC, install Mythtv and sell it.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

wnewell,

To me $100 or more for a single tuner is expensive. I did some research and found the Hdhomerun for $100 on Ebay and $130 brand new online. That = $50.00 per tuner. Not too bad. I read reviews on it and they are probably the best reviews I ever read for any tuner.

Your tuner is very inexpensive though. I might take a look at one of those for a third option later. Thanks.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Liked: 13
To me the huge plus for the HDHR is it's external to the HTPC and on the network. Sometimes I sit at my desk upstairs from the HTPC and watch TV as I'm working using the hdhomerun_gui which is downloaded from silicon dust.

The HDHR has a IR receiver built in and you can use a remote control without needing additional hardware.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post

To me the huge plus for the HDHR is it's external to the HTPC and on the network. Sometimes I sit at my desk upstairs from the HTPC and watch TV as I'm working using the hdhomerun_gui which is downloaded from silicon dust.

The HDHR has a IR receiver built in and you can use a remote control without needing additional hardware.

And that's the disadvantage I see in it. I've got 6 tuners (3 dual) in my server. I don't like the idea 3 more external boxes and power bricks, nor the extra bandwidth it takes to stream 6 hdtv shows at once just for recordings. Not to mention I'd have to buy another switch to hook them up. As for watching TV or recordings, you can do the same thing with internal tuners in the server. In fact I rarely watch TV or recordings at the system where the recordings are stored, or the tuners are installed. As for remotes, many tuners come with them and receivers. But they wouldn't do me any good since I don't watch TV where they would be located. IR receivers can be had for $1.50 anyway.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewell View Post

And that's the disadvantage I see in it. I've got 6 tuners (3 dual) in my server. I don't like the idea 3 more external boxes and power bricks, nor the extra bandwidth it takes to stream 6 hdtv shows at once just for recordings. Not to mention I'd have to buy another switch to hook them up.

The whole point and purpose of the HDHR is *because* it's external and Ethernet enabled. The point is to mount it or shelve it where your Ethernet switch is located. My main 8 port whole house switch is mounted between joists in the basement near the furnace and water heater where the cable and phone enter the house.

It's good practice to treat the home network as infrastructure like the electrical, phone and cable TV. The HDHR is then easily added as another infrastructure device mounted in a junction box or between joists in a basement, out of sight, feeding the whole network.

The HDHR is infrastructure, not an A/V component.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee44 View Post

wnewell,

To me $100 or more for a single tuner is expensive. I did some research and found the Hdhomerun for $100 on Ebay and $130 brand new online. That = $50.00 per tuner. Not too bad. I read reviews on it and they are probably the best reviews I ever read for any tuner.

Your tuner is very inexpensive though. I might take a look at one of those for a third option later. Thanks.

Careful, there are now two versions of the HDHomeRun. There is a new model with only one tuner. Be sure you know what you are getting.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Careful, there are now two versions of the HDHomeRun. There is a new model with only one tuner. Be sure you know what you are getting.

Yeah, I noticed that. The duals are the ones I priced.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Three versions, if you count the "Tech" version that can do multi-cast streaming (but I doubt very many home users ever pay the extra bucks just to get multi-casting and a bunch of diagnostics modes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page