Broadcom Crystal HD - the Nvidia killer for Linux HTPC? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 02-07-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. All that info I can find in my Xorg log file. I guess there is no reason to put it in a config file then. I did create a xorg.conf file and only put the "Composite Disabled" section in it. I now find this in my Xorg.0.log file:
Code:
(**) Extension "Composite" is disabled
But further down it says this:
Code:
II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
So is it really disabled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

So is it really disabled?

Probably not, I only get:
Code:
$  grep -i composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log
$

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #93 of 113 Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I just realized that I was getting different readings from TOP, depending how I ran it. If I run it in a terminal window, It tells me XBMC runs at 50% idle, and 80% when playing a video.

If I run it in a ttyx terminal (tty1) it says watching a movie uses around 35% CPU. I'm not sure why the differing stats.
post #94 of 113 Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I just realized that I was getting different readings from TOP, depending how I ran it. If I run it in a terminal window, It tells me XBMC runs at 50% idle, and 80% when playing a video.

If I run it in a ttyx terminal (tty1) it says watching a movie uses around 35% CPU. I'm not sure why the differing stats.

You have to ask, percent of what ? In top, look at the percent idle, that is the percent of total CPU usage. The value reported for an individual app is percent of one CPU unit. A single core atom will show up as two CPU units due to HT.
post #95 of 113 Old 02-13-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Since Ubuntu no longer creates a xorg.conf file by default, I found that you can create one specifically for you system, with this command.
Code:
sudo Xorg -configure
This gives me a basic xorg.conf file, which I attached below. I have added the composite disable section to it. I have also enabled the Intel XvMC, in an attempt to get mplayer to use it to play mpg files. No luck in that, yet. Also, I still get the same results:
Code:
paul@CrystalHD:~$ grep -i composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II)         composite (RENDER acceleration)
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
I am really considering installing a different distro. I started using Ubuntu beacause it was easier. This no longer seems true, so there goes my reason for using it. I have heard good things about ArchLinux, and have downloaded the installation disk. It will either be ArchLinux or Mandriva.

xorg.txt 2.671875k . file
post #96 of 113 Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, I now have Mandriva installed. The ironic thing is that it didn't correctly identify my Intel graphics chip. I couldn't start X until I ran the Xorg -configure command, and copied that file over the default one. It gave me the exact same xorg.conf file that Ubuntu gave me.

I am having problems getting the crystalhd driver installed. When I run the ./configure
command, this is the error that I get:
Code:
[paul@localhost linux]$ ./configure
checking for ld... ld
configure: creating ./config.status
.in'ig.status: error: cannot find input file:
I believe that I have all of the required files and programs installed. But maybe I missed something.
post #97 of 113 Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I now have Mandriva installed. The ironic thing is that it didn't correctly identify my Intel graphics chip. I couldn't start X until I ran the Xorg -configure command, and copied that file over the default one. It gave me the exact same xorg.conf file that Ubuntu gave me.

That's very unusual, never seen a problem with detection of the Intel 945 chipset before...

Quote:

I am having problems getting the crystalhd driver installed. When I run the ./configure
command, this is the error that I get:

The driver is already packaged up in the repositories, no need to compile it yourself, just fire up the package manager and search for 'crystal' (you might need to enable the backports repos first (under Options>Media Manager).

See also the sticky Mandriva thread for adding the PLF repos in case you haven't done that yet.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #98 of 113 Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tips.

As you can tell, I prefer using the repos when something is in rapid development. But I may have to use the 'official' version.

I was also having big problems figuring out what dependencies to install for XBMC compiling. I finally saw your spec file, and copied the list from that.

Thanks for doing some of the leg work for me! It's hard enough learning a new distro.

BTW, I first installed Arch Linux. The installation disc for that is terrible! It doesn't install X or a WM (no big deal), but there are no instructions to do so. I had to go to the wiki for that, but after I installed X and KDE, I found the mousepad/keyboard driver didn't work. I couldn't get back into run level 3 to fix it no matter how hard I tried, so It was Mandriva for me.
post #99 of 113 Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I had to add a few packages more to get past ./configure:
Code:
libmicrohttpd-devel
libwavpack-devel
libmpeg2dec-devel
libfaad2-devel
libsmbclient-devel
libtiff-devel
And just for vdpau, even though I can't use it:
Code:
libvdpau-devel
If you don't mind, I'll post the entire dependency installation command for Mandriva.
Code:
urpmi make cmake autoconf automake gcc gcc-c++ sed boost-devel python-devel libdbus-1-devel gperf unzip zip unrar nasm SDL-devel SDL_image-devel SDL_mixer-devel libjpeg-devel libaudiofile0-devel fontconfig-devel freetype2-devel fribidi-devel glibc-devel hal-devel libbzip2-devel libstdc++-devel libexpat-devel glib2-devel libjasper-devel libmad-devel libmikmod-devel libmms-devel libogg-devel libopenssl-devel sqlite3-devel libstdc++-devel libpng-devel e2fsprogs-devel libvorbis-devel liblzo-devel pcre-devel libmesagl1-devel libfaac-devel ccache libxorg-x11-devel glew-devel libalsa2-devel libmysql-devel libcurl-devel zlib-devel libxmms-devel libenca0 pmount libcdio-devel libdbus-1-devel libpulseaudio-devel lsb-release libenca-devel libsamplerate-devel python-base libxml2-python libmicrohttpd-devel libwavpack-devel libmpeg2dec-devel libfaad2-devel libsmbclient-devel libtiff-devel libvdpau-devel libtool gettext
Well, I can't get it to compile. In fact, bootstrap is failing with an error. I try another SVN pull a little later. Here is the error that ./configure fails with, at the very end:
Code:
config.status: executing libtool commands
~/xbmc
~/xbmc/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codecs/libmad ~/xbmc
~/xbmc
~/xbmc/xbmc/lib/cximage-6.0/zlib ~/xbmc
~/xbmc
~/xbmc/xbmc/lib/libass ~/xbmc
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "." "./.." "./../.."
~/xbmc
configure: error: Submodule xbmc/lib/libass failed to configure
Weird, as I can see the files that it can't seem to find.
post #100 of 113 Old 02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the problem was because of another unresolved dependency. I corrected it by installing these packages:

libtool
gettext

I'll also add them to the dependency installation list in the last post.
post #101 of 113 Old 02-17-2010, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like Gwenole Beauchesne intends to add CrystalHD decoding support to mplayer. He is playing around with the card (see his post on the crystalhd-development google group) and he has posted a patch on the mplayer-dev mailing list to facilitate integration of crystalhd hardware decoding.

I haven't played around with XBMC and crystalhd recently, because of lack of time, but I hope to have time for that again soon.
AFAIK XBMC currently has a frame rate regression with crystalhd decoded playback, several people have posted about it on the XBMC forum, I imagine Davilla is aware of it.

post #102 of 113 Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like the problem was because of another unresolved dependency. I corrected it by installing these packages:

libtool
gettext

I'll also add them to the dependency installation list in the last post.

Thanks for listing all the build dependencies, I expected that the build dependencies in my spec-file were incomplete since I took them over from a Suse XBMC spec-file, I had no way of verifying them since the box I use for building the packages already had an almost complete set of dev packages installed.
I don't build any packages on the HTPC (that contains the crystalhd) itself, only on the dedicated build/test box.

Do you have XBMC built and working now?

post #103 of 113 Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Thanks for listing all the build dependencies, I expected that the build dependencies in my spec-file were incomplete since I took them over from a Suse XBMC spec-file, I had no way of verifying them since the box I use for building the packages already had an almost complete set of dev packages installed.

No problem.

When I tried to resolve the dependencies on my own, I wasn't having much luck. This is due to my unfamiliarity with Mandriva and it's package names and installation process. Your spec file got me started, and all I had to do was fill in a few gaps.

When you download the XBMC source, there is an Ubuntu README file that lists all of the needed dependencies. All I had to do was copy and paste. I wanted to make something like that available to Mandriva users.

Quote:

Do you have XBMC built and working now?

Yes!

There hasn't been much progress since the Ubuntu build I previously had. Interlacing of mpg files still doesn't work, but the x264 files play beautifully. Things are pretty much the same, except I no longer have to worry about pulse audio and I also got off of the Ubuntu bandwagon.
post #104 of 113 Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I almost forgot, i also was able to build the crystalhd driver on Mandriva. I know, I didn't have too. But the crystalhd libraries didn't seem to install correctly, even though I did install them from the Mandriva repository.

To install the driver on Mandriva, I had to eliminate the "dos2unix *" step. I don't know if that is even really needed.
post #105 of 113 Old 07-30-2010, 01:10 PM

FYI, the new BCM70015 CrystalHD card is available at Logic Supply: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015
post #106 of 113 Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneloc427 View Post

FYI, the new BCM70015 CrystalHD card is available at Logic Supply: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015

I actually looked at their site yesterday, and they didn't have it yet. Thanks for the info.
On a similar subject, the Linux driver has a new release that now includes the BCM70015:

http://wilsonet.com/?p=82

The driver is backwards-compatible with the BCM70012 that Logic Supply offers, but there seem to be problems with some of the cheaper versions purchased off of eBay. Since that is what I have, I have been following this. These cards can be identified by the black heat spreader attached to the card:

The developers are aware of the problem, but these cards are difficult to identify with software. One person has changed the driver clockspeed from 200Mhz to 150Mhz, with favorable results. Not sure where you make the change, though.

http://groups.google.com/group/cryst...9b21ef79?hl=en
LL
post #107 of 113 Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like the latest flash beta for Linux has crystalhd support!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=30

post #108 of 113 Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

It looks like the latest flash beta for Linux has crystalhd support!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=30

Now that would be nice.

So, anyone know where to get a PCIe version of the card?

---
post #109 of 113 Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwobits View Post

Now that would be nice.

So, anyone know where to get a PCIe version of the card?

Search around for a mini-pcie to pci adapter. they are used for wifi cards.
post #110 of 113 Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update: after a long time I have started looking at my Crystal HD card again.

I have built and packaged up the kernel module, the libraries, the gstreamer plugin and the firmware for ScientificLinux 6 64bit (compatible with RHEL 6 and Centos 6) and I have done some tests both with Totem (that uses the gstreamer back-end) and the latest Adobe Flash (11.0.r1.129 RC1 64bit) and both work well with my BCM70012 card in SL6.

The packages for SL6/RHEL6/Centos6 that I built and used for testing are here:
pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/noarch/dkms-crystalhd-20110917-1.el6.noarch.rpm
pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/noarch/crystalhd-firmware-20110917-1.el6.noarch.rpm
pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/x86_64/libcrystalhd-20110917-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/x86_64/libcrystalhd-devel-20110917-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/x86_64/gstreamer-plugin-crystalhd-20110917-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

I'm especially positively surprised that the Flash plugin now has Crystal HD hardware decoding support even in the 64 bit version.

post #111 of 113 Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nice work, tux99!

Would those .rpm's you packaged work in Mandriva/Mageia?

Looks like the Red Hat/Fedora family of distros is shaping up to be the "goto" alternatives to the Ubuntu/Mint/Debian family.
post #112 of 113 Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Nice work, tux99!

Would those .rpm's you packaged work in Mandriva/Mageia?

Looks like the Red Hat/Fedora family of distros is shaping up to be the "goto" alternatives to the Ubuntu/Mint/Debian family.

No they wouldn't work in Mandriva/Mageia, but my rpms are actually derived from the Mageia crystalhd rpm so if you use Mageia just install the rpm from the Mageia repo and you get the same software!
(Mandriva also has an older release of those rpms in their repos, I guess they would update it if someone asks the packager in charge nicely)

Do you use Mandriva or Mageia now?
I'm surprised I thought you were a loyal Ubuntu user.

Rgb, please don't mix Fedora and Redhat EL/Centos/SL together, they do have many things in common but their release policy is radically different (Fedora is bleeding edge, release every 6 months and only short term support while Redhat EL/Centos/SL focus on stability with a release every 3 years and support for 7 years). This means that they in practice they are actually quite different.
I'm personally only interested in Redhat EL/Centos/SL, not Fedora.

post #113 of 113 Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm still on Ubuntu/Mint and derivatives, but always looking for alternatives and options.

It appears I'll be using Xubuntu and related XFCE based distros due to all the Unity/Gnome 3 turmoil. KDE 4.7+ is also looking stable enough to try again, but KDE is still more bloaty than XFCE.

Sorry for mixing in Fedora- my bad, free association with Red Hat

I'll have "Fedora" removed from the thread title.

Yes, based on release cycles, Fedora is more Ubuntu-like than the others.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page