Blu-ray Playback in Linux - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is now a simple workaround for playing blu-ray discs in Linux with the latest version of MakeMKV. There is a guide up here: http://bit*ly/8Bq7f7

Anyone been following the developments of the libbluray project and have any additional news on it?

Linux - DRM free since 1992

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkun View Post

There is now a simple workaround for playing blu-ray discs in Linux with the latest version of MakeMKV. There is a guide up here: http ://bit*ly/8Bq7f7

Sounds very interesting, thanks for posting this, I'll try it as soon as I have time, but please don't posts short-links, they are considered suspect as they can lead anywhere, especially if posted by someone new to a forum, just post the plain link to your article.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind for later. I just didn't want it to seem like I was spamming for backlinks or anything. Which I am not. I just wanted to get the word out there and spark some discussion regarding the topic since all the existing threads are rather dead and dated. Thanks again for the suggestion.

It is definitely and easy process, but if you hit any snags or have a question just let me know and I'm happy to help out.

post #4 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just didn't want it to seem like I was spamming for backlinks or anything. Which I am not.

Don't worry about that, as long as the link is relevant to the subject of this forum (and yours certainly is), then that's not spamming.
BTW, I have submitted your article to linuxtoday.com, be prepared for loads of traffic if they publish it!

post #5 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
getting page cannot be displayed when trying to access. Can I get a full hotlink?
post #6 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM

post #7 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I have submitted your article to linuxtoday.com, be prepared for loads of traffic if they publish it!

They published it, hope your server can cope with the traffic...

post #8 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

looks like nope.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yep that was the problem. The traffic flood hit me before I saw your notice. The large (and quick) increase trampled the SQL server and hosed the site. It is back up and running properly now with some extra tweaks to hopefully prevent any future incidents like this.

Thanks for the submission to Linux Today! I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

post #10 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep that was the problem. The traffic flood hit me before I saw your notice. The large (and quick) increase trampled the SQL server and hosed the site.

Sorry for that, it wasn't my intention, I only wanted to give your interesting article a wider audience.

post #11 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Forgive the ignorance as I've not paid much attention to BluRay (b/c of the cost and incompatibilities to this point).. would this typically work with any BluRay ROM drive ? (ie. newegg has several under $100, and I've seen sales I think for $60 or less) ?

any idea what the cost of this program will be once its no longer beta? (if I read between the lines correctly)
post #12 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

zim2dive: I am waiting on a response from them regarding an eventual pricing. I will be sure to let you know when I hear back from them.

Yes it should work with any BD ROM drive. For example, I am using a Plextor that has not been patched/flashed with any special firmware or anything. I just plugged and played.

post #13 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

zim2dive: I am waiting on a response from them regarding an eventual pricing. I will be sure to let you know when I hear back from them.

Yes it should work with any BD ROM drive. For example, I am using a Plextor that has not been patched/flashed with any special firmware or anything. I just plugged and played.

thanks for the info!
post #14 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry for that, it wasn't my intention, I only wanted to give your interesting article a wider audience.

No worries at all. I'm glad people are enjoying and benefiting from it and choosing to pass it on because of that. Thank you again!

Things seem to be holding out just fine for the server during today's large rush of traffic. Someone even submitted it to Digg, so we'll see how she holds up to that surge of traffic!

post #15 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sorry for posting this here. If there is a more appropriate thread please guide me. I only see Linux and Mac HTPC threads listed.

I just got a Dell Studio 1555 laptop with back light keys, HDMI, and a BR R/W drive in hopes of putting together a HTPC setup. Seems to be a great laptop but I'm having trouble playing BR disks. SD disks seem to be ok.

I've tried four different BR disks and all seem to stick and studder. You can hear the drive sounding like it doesn't have a good grip on the disk. I can't decide if it is a software or hardware problem but I tend to think it is a hardware issue. I could probably get through a move but the constant freezing of the video and stopping of the audio wouldn't be much fun. Checked a couple of items in the FAQ of Dell, such as turning off McAfee, updating drivers (didn't follow through on this), etc.

Anyone had this problem or have any ideas?
Thanks in advance-
post #16 of 33 Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Assuming you are running Windows, this is the right sub-forum for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

post #17 of 33 Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Assuming you are running Windows, this is the right sub-forum for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I'm confused!

What I read is:
"This area is for chat on the development of an HTPC platform for Linux. We ask you to keep this area totally related to the Linux OS for HTPC."
Help!
post #18 of 33 Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Those top three areas are sub forums, all the posts below are the main HTPC forum which is for some reason windows centric.
post #19 of 33 Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsellinger View Post

Those top three areas are sub forums, all the posts below are the main HTPC forum which is for some reason windows centric.

I made the Windows-centric complaint in a long thread arguing with a (shadow) Microsoft insider forum poster about 2 years ago, when a Linux user posted screenshots of a media center style front end based on Linux in the main HTPC forum.

I tried to explain that a "HTPC" is a generic term, and any software running on PC hardware deserves equal time on the "main" forum rather than the "basement" sub forums, but MS supporters ranted and complained to the forum mods.

If OSX and Linux are sub forums, shouldn't Windows also be (i.e. sub forums for each OS), while generic cross-OS issues like hardware, etc be the main forum? But alas, the MS corruption extends everywhere...

post #20 of 33 Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

In theory, a MUCH simpler solution to BluRay playback on Linux should be DVDFab (free-beer to rip to hard disk):

http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-new.htm

December 31, 2009
DVDFab 6.2.1.8 Updated!

* New: Command line are fully supported, please read Commandline.txt in installation folder.

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php...ramCommandLine

(I recall a reference some time ago that said the commandline version was essentially open source, but can't find it at the moment. This means disc ripping could be free-speech as well)

DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray":

* New: Added support for BD+ protection.
* New: Improved BD-Live removal.
* Fix: PiP(Picture in Picture) Blu-ray disc can be read correctly now.
* Fix: Multi-angle Blu-ray disc can be read correctly now.
* Fix: Backup disc cannot be played in certain cases.
* Fix: An output oversized problem when copying "Main Movie" to BD-25 with "Remove HD Audio" checked in certain cases.
* Fix: Estimated source size is not updated when switching "Remove HD Audio" option.
* Fix: A crash problem when opening Blu-ray disc in certain cases.
* Fix: A crash problem when copying Blu-ray disc in "Main Movie" mode in certain cases.
* Fix: A crash problem at start of "Clone" Blu-ray disc in certain cases.

DVDFab works perfectly for DVD disk ripping in Linux under Wine- just install Wine from Synaptic or from PPA at winehq.org and double click dvdfab.exe the same as on Windows.

Don't know how well DVDFab works for BluRay on Linux, though, but the BD+ issues appears to be addressed.

In theory, you would just insert a BD disk into a BD-ROM drive, launch DVDFab, the disc will be scanned/analyzed at startup (automatic), then begin copying BD to hard disk. In theory, you should be able to start playing the ripped BD video file(s) a few minutes later in VLC or SMplayer, so nearly realtime BluRay disc playback- not directly from disc of course.

Also see

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab_Decrypter

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php...eaturesRelease

3.2.0.0 (Sep 25, 2007)
"New: "DVD to Mobile" feature uses a lot of of open source libraries, like FFmpeg, x264, xvid, liba52, faac, lame, etc. DVDFab is compatible with open source GPL/LGPL license, and thanks for the help of open source community. "

post #21 of 33 Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

In theory, a MUCH simpler solution to BluRay playback on Linux should be DVDFab (free-beer to rip to hard disk):

http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-new.htm

December 31, 2009
DVDFab 6.2.1.8 Updated!

* New: Command line are fully supported, please read Commandline.txt in installation folder.

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php...ramCommandLine

(I recall a reference some time ago that said the commandline version was essentially open source, but can't find it at the moment. This means disc ripping could be free-speech as well)

DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray":

* New: Added support for BD+ protection.
* New: Improved BD-Live removal.
* Fix: PiP(Picture in Picture) Blu-ray disc can be read correctly now.
* Fix: Multi-angle Blu-ray disc can be read correctly now.
* Fix: Backup disc cannot be played in certain cases.
* Fix: An output oversized problem when copying "Main Movie" to BD-25 with "Remove HD Audio" checked in certain cases.
* Fix: Estimated source size is not updated when switching "Remove HD Audio" option.
* Fix: A crash problem when opening Blu-ray disc in certain cases.
* Fix: A crash problem when copying Blu-ray disc in "Main Movie" mode in certain cases.
* Fix: A crash problem at start of "Clone" Blu-ray disc in certain cases.

DVDFab works perfectly for DVD disk ripping in Linux under Wine- just install Wine from Synaptic or from PPA at winehq.org and double click dvdfab.exe the same as on Windows.

Don't know how well DVDFab works for BluRay on Linux, though, but the BD+ issues appears to be addressed.

In theory, you would just insert a BD disk into a BD-ROM drive, launch DVDFab, the disc will be scanned/analyzed at startup (automatic), then begin copying BD to hard disk. In theory, you should be able to start playing the ripped BD video file(s) a few minutes later in VLC or SMplayer, so nearly realtime BluRay disc playback- not directly from disc of course.

Also see

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab_Decrypter

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php...eaturesRelease

3.2.0.0 (Sep 25, 2007)
"New: "DVD to Mobile" feature uses a lot of of open source libraries, like FFmpeg, x264, xvid, liba52, faac, lame, etc. DVDFab is compatible with open source GPL/LGPL license, and thanks for the help of open source community. "

This is a very viable option and still better than HDDump and other previous means of playback. However there are still two main differences and/or problems with it:

1) it requires the use of wine. Which means that it is still a windows binary program and does not advance the progress toward a completely native Linux solution and/or library for blu-ray decryption and playback. And,

2) the biggest problem with it, it still requires you to rip the disc to the hard drive first and then playback from that. This requires lots of disc space and a bit of time to wait for it to finish dumping the disc. With the MakeMKV solution, it takes less than a minute to have the disc ready for viewing.

post #22 of 33 Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a very viable option and still better than HDDump and other previous means of playback. However there are still two main differences and/or problems with it:

1) it requires the use of wine. Which means that it is still a windows binary program and does not advance the progress toward a completely native Linux solution and/or library for blu-ray decryption and playback. And,

2) the biggest problem with it, it still requires you to rip the disc to the hard drive first and then playback from that. This requires lots of disc space and a bit of time to wait for it to finish dumping the disc. With the MakeMKV solution, it takes less than a minute to have the disc ready for viewing.

Agreed on both counts.

However, the DVDFab BD+ news is still very important- it shows that someone other than Slysoft/AnyDVD has also worked around BD+, which means the FOSS solutions should also be coming sooner than later. If DVDfab reverse engineered the BD+ code (probably looking at AnyDVD executable code), then others can too.

I now revise my guesstimate for direct BD (movie only) disc playback in Linux to 4-6 months .

post #23 of 33 Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I now revise my guesstimate for direct BD (movie only) disc playback in Linux to 4-6 months .

You don't seem to understand, MakeMKV does that now, not in 6 months!

Just try it out, it's free!

post #24 of 33 Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't seem to understand, MakeMKV does that now, not in 6 months!

Just try it out, it's free!

I *meant* a FOSS solution that enables playback directly from disc via only SMplayer, VLC and/or Xine with a deCSS equivalent "de-BD+" library

(MakeMKV isn't FOSS, is it?)

post #25 of 33 Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I *meant* a FOSS solution that enables playback directly from disc via only SMplayer, VLC and/or Xine with a deCSS equivalent "de-BD+" library

(MakeMKV isn't FOSS, is it?)

No not purely. It is currently a beta product and is therefore free, but they intend to move to a pay model once out of beta. A large part of the program is open source, but there are binary (closed source) portions which handle the majority of the BD related stuff.

post #26 of 33 Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 PM

There will never be a legal Free OSS blu-ray player... Not while studios still have money for lawyers
post #27 of 33 Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsellinger View Post

There will never be a legal Free OSS blu-ray player... Not while studios still have money for lawyers

That's not true. It may not be legal in the U.S., but that doesn't mean it's not legal. Nor do I think that will stop the majority of users.

Take DVD's for example. There is no legal (for the U.S.) free OSS DVD player. Heck, there is no legal (for the U.S.) DVD player for Linux period! That does not mean that it is not legal in many other countries such as a number of European countries. And yes, the use of libdvdcss within the United States is illegal. Does anybody care? Not really.

That being said, I think there will definitely be a similar solution for blu-ray's eventually. There are already projects for libbluray and libbd+. It is only a matter of time before they are mature enough for widespread usage and implementation within common media players.

post #28 of 33 Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not true. It may not be legal in the U.S., but that doesn't mean it's not legal. Nor do I think that will stop the majority of users.

Take DVD's for example. There is no legal (for the U.S.) free OSS DVD player. Heck, there is no legal (for the U.S.) DVD player for Linux period! That does not mean that it is not legal in many other countries such as a number of European countries. And yes, the use of libdvdcss within the United States is illegal. Does anybody care? Not really.

That being said, I think there will definitely be a similar solution for blu-ray's eventually. There are already projects for libbluray and libbd+. It is only a matter of time before they are mature enough for widespread usage and implementation within common media players.

"Illegal" because of unjust software patent law, unrecognised in saner countries of the world, and unrecognised in the US prior to the mid 1990's when Big IP companies bought software patent legislation, a corruption of IP law. Legal/illegal status does not make something Right/not Right.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_D..._%28Thoreau%29

All software is simply written words, which can be spoken. Is it Right to have artificial restrictions on different words that express a similar idea (i.e. not plagiarising or verbatim copying)?

All software is also simply line after line of math equations. Math equations still cannot be patented. Why can software?

Every software program ever created is simply one large number- write out the string of 1's and 0's of the binary executable (or express as hexidecimal character pairs in sequence if you wish). That string is simply one large number, in binary, hex, or express as decimal or use any other number system you want. You cannot patent a number anywhere in the world. Why is the number expressing any software program patentable?

A software patent is like a patent on the concept of 7. Therefore, no one can use "7" in their software without paying a license to the patent holder. They cannot use 10-3, "three plus four", 2.645751311^2, or any other expression equivalent to "7". Logically, this is EXACTLY what a software patent does.

If you support software patents, you are supporting the view that some words can be written/expressed by anyone and distributed to others, but some words cannot- i.e. if you support software patents, you support a MASSIVE restriction of free speech.

Verbatim copying of source code was always covered by copyright, like any other written work, the correct way to manage software IP.

And yes, there is/has been at least one commercial DVD player software for Linux-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinDVD

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Produc...e.jsp?p=LinDVD

post #29 of 33 Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

RGB: I said there was no FOSS DVD player. And again, there is no LEGAL one for the U.S. Even still, I do believe they all work in the same manner - through the use of libdvdcss

Secondly, don't get me wrong here, I totally agree with preposterousness of the legalities of this issue within the U.S.! I think that it is immoral, wrong, and possibly even unconstitutional for congress to pass a law which criminalizes a citizen's rights laid out and protected within another law. So I am right there with you on them being ridiculous and I think most people are too. Hence the reason I said that it is illegal, but no one really cares.

Blu-ray falls into the same boat as DVD's do when it comes to Linux (or this particular legal question in general). They are both illegal within the U.S. because they would both require the use of a library or device which bypasses the copy protections of the disc. Even if it is just for the purpose of playing the disc you legally purchased on your own computer, that is still illegal under the DMCA within the U.S. This is a major injustice and needs to be resolved.

post #30 of 33 Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RGB: I said there was no FOSS DVD player. And again, there is no LEGAL one for the U.S. Even still, I do believe they all work in the same manner - through the use of libdvdcss

Secondly, don't get me wrong here, I totally agree with preposterousness of the legalities of this issue within the U.S.! I think that it is immoral, wrong, and possibly even unconstitutional for congress to pass a law which criminalizes a citizen's rights laid out and protected within another law. So I am right there with you on them being ridiculous and I think most people are too. Hence the reason I said that it is illegal, but no one really cares.

Good to hear support against software patents and the DMCA, which is a given in Linux forums

Wasn't really responding to you in particular, though I quoted you- just a stock rhetorical response against software patents and the DMCA

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page