XBMC has started adding VAAPI hardware acceleration suport (Intel GPU owner rejoice!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking at the XBMC changelog for the development version there have been a few entries yesterday indicating VAAPI support has started to be added:

http://trac.xbmc.org/search?q=vaapi

This should finally bring hardware video decoding to Intel GPUs.

Anyone here with a recent Intel GPU (for example GMA4500) and the skills to build a svn version of XBMC from source want to test it?

P.S: I have no idea if it's already functional.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
looks like the newest intel graphics I have on any of my boards is a GMA 3100
post #3 of 29 Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You'll also have to worry about having the right kernel and X-server and video driver . . .
post #4 of 29 Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
Those XBMC devs are always on top of their game. Kudos!
post #5 of 29 Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

Those XBMC devs are always on top of their game. Kudos!

Actually there have been patches for ffmpeg and mplayer to support VAAPI around for quite a while, so they aren't the first to support it.
In fact I would guess they looked at those ffmpeg/mplay patches when implementing it on XBMC (nothing wrong with that, why re-invent the wheel).

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #6 of 29 Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

Actually there have been patches for ffmpeg and mplayer to support VAAPI around for quite a while, so they aren't the first to support it.
In fact I would guess they looked at those ffmpeg/mplay patches when implementing it on XBMC (nothing wrong with that, why re-invent the wheel).

They considered it before motd2k started the VDPAU lightning round but decided to let it mature some first.

I'm actually hoping that Adobe will go the VAAPI route with Flash. I've read that there's a negligible performance hit while using the VDPAU backend vs. using VDPAU natively.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. That might also mean support for some ATI GPUs via XvBA too.

Note the last sentence from this Wiki Article:

Quote:

X-Video Bitstream Acceleration (XvBA), designed by AMD for its ATI Radeon GPU, is a future extension of the X video extension (Xv) for the X Window System on Linux operating-systems[1]. XvBA API allows video programs to offload portions of the video decoding process to the GPU video-hardware. Currently, the portions designed to be offloaded by XvBA onto the GPU are motion compensation (mo comp) and inverse discrete cosine transform (iDCT), and VLD (Variable-Length Decoding) for MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) and VC-1 encoded video.

XvBA is a Linux equivalent of Microsoft's DirectX Video Acceleration (DxVA) API for Windows[1] and a competitor to NVIDIA's Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (VDPAU)[2].

In November 2009 a XvBA backend for Video Acceleration API (VA API) was released[3], which means any software that supports VA API will also support XvBA.[2]

post #8 of 29 Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 PM

If you like what they're doing, you should seriously consider making them a donation.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_COSprings View Post

If you like what they're doing, you should seriously consider making them a donation.

I have.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will, once Broadcom CrystalHD support is solid.

post #11 of 29 Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I will, once Broadcom CrystalHD support is solid.

HAHAHA, Damm. And here I am waiting for donations to pickup before starting another intense programming effort with respect to the CrystalHD code. I guess spending several months already on CrystalHD support does not count.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavilla View Post

HAHAHA, Damm. And here I am waiting for donations to pickup before starting another intense programming effort with respect to the CrystalHD code. I guess spending several months already on CrystalHD support does not count.

And here I was thinking that free open source programmers primarily do it for the fun and the glory...

post #13 of 29 Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Yes, "fun and the glory" is one thing but that does not pay for support items such as test platforms, adapter cards and even basic shipping costs to send donated CrystalHD cards out to various other devs.

Open source is "free" to the consumer but something has to play for the support to develop these things. I've already freely given over $50k of my time on CrystalHD and I certainly don't expect to ever recover that in donations.
post #14 of 29 Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM

sorry to dig up an old thread, but:

1. CrystalHD now officially supported in Dharma 10.0 !
2. Anyone know what the status of VAAPI support is for Intel Arrandale (core iX integrated GPU)? I compiled an SVN rev from source a week ago or so only to find that h.264 content stuttered to the point of being unwatchable. Last night I saw that 10.0 was officially released, with VAAPI support, supposedly, so I wiped my XBMC install and went with this. No VAAPI option in XBMC system menu. So I guess there is still no pre-compiled deb/ubuntu pkg that has VAAPI enabled?
post #15 of 29 Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post
2. Anyone know what the status of VAAPI support is for Intel Arrandale (core iX integrated GPU)?
Sorry don't know the answer, but shouldn't a core iX cpu be powerful enough anyway to play everything using cpu based software decoding?

post #16 of 29 Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry don't know the answer, but shouldn't a core iX cpu be powerful enough anyway to play everything using cpu based software decoding?
Well... it should be. And I think it is. All videos play OK w/ software rendering but the CPU spikes as high as 50-60% at times. The real issue I am having is screen tearing with higher res video that I keep thinking might be a software problem. I suspect it's actually a limitation of my oddball PDP, which can be set to 1920x1080, but is really only a 720p set.... and yet it has a native resolution of 1024x768! With a 80hz refresh rate. "sync to v blank" in XBMC causes crash.

New display is on the wish list but it will probably be a while.
post #17 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last night I saw that 10.0 was officially released, with VAAPI support, supposedly, so I wiped my XBMC install and went with this. No VAAPI option in XBMC system menu. So I guess there is still no pre-compiled deb/ubuntu pkg that has VAAPI enabled?

I thought VAAPI was supposed to be included in 10.0? I've been struggling to make it work on a new setup with an ATI 4200 card. What does 'vainfo' report for your system? If that reports an error then XBMC definitely isn't going to work.

P.S. When it is working, there is definitely a separate 'Use VAAPI' menu option under System > Video > Playback
post #18 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

I thought VAAPI was supposed to be included in 10.0? I've been struggling to make it work on a new setup with an ATI 4200 card. What does 'vainfo' report for your system? If that reports an error then XBMC definitely isn't going to work.

P.S. When it is working, there is definitely a separate 'Use VAAPI' menu option under System > Video > Playback

It's listed in the changelog but it is not built into the ubuntu package. You have to build XBMC from source in order to get it to show up in the settings menu.
post #19 of 29 Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well... it should be. And I think it is. All videos play OK w/ software rendering but the CPU spikes as high as 50-60% at times. The real issue I am having is screen tearing with higher res video that I keep thinking might be a software problem. I suspect it's actually a limitation of my oddball PDP, which can be set to 1920x1080, but is really only a 720p set.... and yet it has a native resolution of 1024x768! With a 80hz refresh rate. "sync to v blank" in XBMC causes crash.

New display is on the wish list but it will probably be a while.

you try using a computer monitor (connected temporarily) to verify whether the tearing issue is your display or that even a core iX isn't enough. The i530 is ~50% better than my E6300 (according to PassMark charts), but the E6300 is no slouch and I was never able to play full-screen 480p Hulu on top quality without some tearing, so its possible even a core iX is not enough (I would hope that is not the case, but its not something I've seen verified)
post #20 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
you try using a computer monitor (connected temporarily) to verify whether the tearing issue is your display or that even a core iX isn't enough. The i530 is ~50% better than my E6300 (according to PassMark charts), but the E6300 is no slouch and I was never able to play full-screen 480p Hulu on top quality without some tearing, so its possible even a core iX is not enough (I would hope that is not the case, but its not something I've seen verified)
Sorry for the late reply -- the "new post" feature on this board seems hit or miss. It's funny though, I *just* had my HTPC taken apart on a bench/table, hooked up to a plain old 19" monitor, to fix a hard drive issue, and I never even thought to try playing video while I was at it. Kicking myself now, but will have the sucker on the bench again probably this weekend to replace the disk mounting bracket with a new one that just came in.

Interestingly, I found out part of my problem, which I haven't quite solved. I had been connecting the HTPC to the display via HDMI thru Yamaha Receiver, and it had never occured to me that this might be part of the problem, even though there were obvious inconsistencies with what Linux was showing as available display output modes. So what I've done to try and remedy the situation is to take the receiver out of the equation, at least temporarily, and connect directly to the TV via DVI (the display has no HDMI input). Now my xrandr output makes more sense, but here's the NEW issue: I left the HDMI connection to the AVR in place so that I could have HD audio. Well, Ubuntu still sees this as a monitor. OK, fine, then I'll go into the Preferences->Monitor tool and disable it. Wouldn't you know it, now I have no sound. ARRGGH!!

So, exasperated, I'm back to having what Ubuntu thinks is two monitors, and it's better, but still behaves strangely. Resolution and refresh rate will sometimes get reset arbitrarily if I switch between standalone XBMC and plain Ubuntu desktop mode.

Maybe I should just ditch HDMI altogether and go back to Toslink. I only have a 5.1 setup anyway.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe I should just ditch HDMI altogether and go back to Toslink. I only have a 5.1 setup anyway.
I'm starting to think it should be illegal to mention linux audio (particularly over HDMI) without giving adequate warning so that folks can obtain sufficient quantities of alcohol...

And yes, AVRs can present issues.. always best to bypass anything you can.. get basic working, then add all the other pieces back in.

Another approach for audio is to keep an eye on dealnews.com (or whatever your favorite deal site is) and grab a USB audio stick that does digital.. These cheap sticks are often very well supported in linux. Spend $15 on that instead of hours of your time on the solutions that *should* (but sometimes don't) work. This is the name brand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-007-_-Product but there are cheaper knock-offs if you search around.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to think it should be illegal to mention linux audio (particularly over HDMI) without giving adequate warning so that folks can obtain sufficient quantities of alcohol...
LOL, indeed.
Quote:
Another approach for audio is to keep an eye on dealnews.com (or whatever your favorite deal site is) and grab a USB audio stick that does digital.. These cheap sticks are often very well supported in linux. Spend $15 on that instead of hours of your time on the solutions that *should* (but sometimes don't) work. This is the name brand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-007-_-Product but there are cheaper knock-offs if you search around.
Thanks for that. I'll definitely check it out, although I am notorious for obsessing over these little aggravations until they are solved, once and for all.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.... Resolution and refresh rate will sometimes get reset arbitrarily if I switch between standalone XBMC and plain Ubuntu desktop mode.

Hell, that happens even on my laptop and without switching desktops. Every reboot is crap shoot as to whether it will come up with the proper resolution and refresh rate.

I never had these problems with kernels that didn't have KMS (kernel mode settings) so I've been blaming it on KMS which seems to have broken all kinds of things in the X-windows.

If your feeling adventurous, you might try adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot parameters in GRUB. But make damn certain that you have some other wayto boot, like a live-cd, so you can get in and change it back if doesn't work because when it doesn't work it usually totally crashes X-windows.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A little off topic, but...

I recently switched the output of my ION MythTV PVR to HDMI. The sound works perfect, unless I reboot. Then I have to deselect the HDMI audio, and then select it again.

I recall this problem being brought up before. Was a solution ever found? (using Ubuntu 10.1)
post #25 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

A little off topic, but...

I recently switched the output of my ION MythTV PVR to HDMI. The sound works perfect, unless I reboot. Then I have to deselect the HDMI audio, and then select it again.

I recall this problem being brought up before. Was a solution ever found? (using Ubuntu 10.1)

I use the 10.0 XBMC Live installed on 2 ION boxes and I've had no issues with HDMI at all. I think the xbmc live version is ubuntu 10.04
post #26 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

My Ubuntu version is 10.04, my mistake.

I only noticed the HDMI audio was not working after a reboot. I don't usually shutdown or reboot a MythTV backend. But after playing around with installing different Flash versions, I thought it may help to reboot. That is when I found that there was no audio output. HDMI was still selected, so deselecting then reselecting it makes it work again. That is until the next reboot.

This really isn't the correct thread for this, as I am not running XBMC.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I found the solution to my problem. First I had to identify the HDMI output.
Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1
The HDMI output is card0, device3.

Now open this file:
Code:
gksu gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
In this section:
Code:
### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink
I added this line at the bottom:
Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3
After a reboot I had to configure the sound again, and unmute the output in alsamixer. The sound now is good after reboots.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 06:57 AM

So an update, after lots of "controlled" experiments:

As mentioned earlier, my display has a native (and recommended, when hooked up to a computer) res of 1024x768@85hZ. I've discovered that by changing this to 1280x720p@60hz, I have basically eliminated the screen tearing problem, but at the cost of PQ. The upscaling has its own set of uglies. But I think overall it's a better compromise than the other way around.

Removed all HDMI connections and am using Toslink for audio, DVI for video.

I will continue to experiment and report back.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
by changing this to 1280x720p@60hz, I have basically eliminated the screen tearing problem
It sounds like the tearing was being introduced by your computer doing the scaling?
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page