Post install questions 10.04 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It only took me a year but now I have a working Mythbuntu system. What took me a year? I spent 11 months 30 days and 23 Hours trying to get an ATI H4650 working using a component connection. I spent a few hours installing everything on my DG45ID system. I had trouble getting audio working using the Intel HDMI connection whiich is subdevice 3. I had to go into all the applications and set the sound device to HDMI. Question 1.

Alsa defaults to the first sound device which is analog. Isn't there a config file for Alsa to change the default device from 0,0 to 0,3? I spent a few hours searching and couldn't find the solution. There was mention of the asound.conf but I don't have one and didn't see a good example.

Question 2
I mounted 3 NTFS drives containing ripped DVD movies (each in it's own VOB) folder) and TV episodes (all in Series Name/Season N/SeriesName SnEn format). It's basically the same structure from my MediaPortal system. When I go into Videos in Myth everything shows up together as in Movies and TV shows jumbled together. The only metadata is on about 10 movies that I manually selected to import data. The Mythbuntu configuration screen shows Jamu installed and listed as a cron job but after 3 days it hasn't filled in anything.

The Jamu wiki mentions something about having the IMDB number before it works. Do I have to manually enter those numbers for each show? How are Movies and TV Series supposed to be seperated in Myth? I remember reading something about if it sees some kind of series numbers it considers it TV. I'm using the default Myth wide skin.

Live TV using my HDHomerun and a hauppauge PVR-150 is working fine As an interim solution I installed XMBC which looks great for Movies and TV Series but doesn't have DVR functions. I installed the XMBC MythFrontend (I couldn't get the Mythbox plugin working at all) which allows me to view Live TV and Myth recordings but the guide doesn't appear to work with 10.04.

Better living through credit cards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
For sound, create an /etc/asound.conf file and put this in it:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

For all files showing together in one list, bring up the menu (M on the keyboard, or the menu button on remote), and disable flat view.

For jamu, to give everything IMDB numbers, run jamu in interactive mode from a terminal window. jamu.py -MIV

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin
post #3 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM

What Kevin said, plus, optionally, you can put the same info into a .asoundrc file in your home directory. Reference
post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross View Post

For sound, create an /etc/asound.conf file and put this in it:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

For all files showing together in one list, bring up the menu (M on the keyboard, or the menu button on remote), and disable flat view.

For jamu, to give everything IMDB numbers, run jamu in interactive mode from a terminal window. jamu.py -MIV

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin

Thanks, I'll create the file. I couldn't find an example of what to enter so your info is a big help. I was playing around a bit more and finally found the menu screen to unflatten the view but things still aren't right. Even though I had a menu choice for TV Shows and Movoies most of the TV episodes were listed in with the movies and with over 4,000 files it's a mess. I took a look at the jamu cron log and there's a ton of entries saying the jamu doesn't support movies with multiple files. I guess that's why you need to manually enter the imdb numbers. XBMC was a lot better in this regard...just tell it to scan and it goes everything in one swoop. Accuracy for pulling the proper metadata exceeded 98% for 300 or so movies. I just had to tell it to use the folder names as the movie titles. The only error on my TV shows was caused by a spelling error of Primeval (Primevil).

post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

I didn't notice at first you said you had your DVD's in VIDEO_TS folders. Jamu won't automatically download metadata for those. It's not too difficult to do it through the MythVideo screen. Hit W to tell it to download metadata for the currently highlighted item. Hit E to edit the title that it searches for in case it doesn't find anything. You can hit W on many movies in rapid succession, you don't need to wait for one to finish before moving on to the next.

As for all the files still showing up in the same view, in the "browse by" menu, make sure you select "folder". If folder isn't listed, that means it's already the selected choice.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

What Kevin said, plus, optionally, you can put the same info into a .asoundrc file in your home directory. Reference

Thanks, that's one of the pages I wandered upon yesterday when I was searching. I don't want to mess with the sound files tonight because I have some recordings going on but I'll fiddle tomorrow morning.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross View Post

I didn't notice at first you said you had your DVD's in VIDEO_TS folders. Jamu won't automatically download metadata for those. It's not too difficult to do it through the MythVideo screen. Hit W to tell it to download metadata for the currently highlighted item. Hit E to edit the title that it searches for in case it doesn't find anything. You can hit W on many movies in rapid succession, you don't need to wait for one to finish before moving on to the next.

I finally got everything setup and running. I found that placing the storage groups for TV Series folders on the backend and those for VIDEO_TS movies on the frontend works best. Jamu doe not scan files on the front end and DVD folders, as you mentioned, don't scan on the backend. Hitting W works but found that if you go too fast the cursor is on the next file while the title search is on the previous title so the metadata gets placed on the wrong file.

I did fifty or sixty movies and when I looked the following day it appears that it had done some type of automated movie scan because there was metadata on many movies that I didn't press W on. Jamu worked pretty good but I had to run it a few times in interactive mode to get all the files updated.

When I was all done the wife didn't like the way the GUI looked for the TV series but loved the LiveTV screen and guide. Coming from MediaPortal she was spoiled so I gave XBMC a try and she liked it a lot better. My final solution was to use MythicalLibrarian to automatically bring my Myth recordings into XBMC and a script to load the Myth Frontend from XBMC for LiveTV.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page