Educate Me on Remote Desktops - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't have this particular problem with mine because my whole network is static. Everything has it's own IP that never changes unless I change it.

My advice is to set up your network the same way. It eliminates a lot of headaches. Save the DHCP for devices that are not normal devices on your network (I.e. Friend's laptop or friend's wii or something) and set up your normal devices with assigned IPs for each device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I assign IPs using my router's binding IP addresses to MAC addresses (static dhcp - kind of an oxymoron). From outside my LAN I use dynamic DNS so my WAN IP addresss to my router can change (as it does from my ISP) but I can just use my domain name when using NX outside my network. Which I do everyday at work.
post #93 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

Yes, he tried to kiss me.

NX uses SSH so port 22 should remain open in the router if you're using one, too.

I'm not sure why it's asking you for an IP. It's been a while since I've used it, though. You should be able to just give it your hostname.

It isnt asking for my ip, it was my mistake , i just found out i have to create a domain , because my ip is dynamic =/

Hmm i didnt know you could give your router a static device , might give it a try
post #94 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest View Post

It isnt asking for my ip, it was my mistake , i just found out i have to create a domain , because my ip is dynamic =/

Hmm i didnt know you could give your router a static device , might give it a try

Yeah, alot of people do that. I just give everything static IP's (except the laptop). It's just easier that way. Pretty sure that you can put the IP or hostname in there. You'll have to ask Shane -- it's been since 2006 that I last used it and don't remember.
post #95 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tijs_Verwest:

This setup wizard you're using...this is on the client machine, correct? The NX Connection Wizard?

All it asked me was for the Session name (anything you want it to be), Host (the IP address of the server), Port (22 should be filled in already...leave it), Connection speed, Session type (select Unix), Desktop (for you, it will be Gnome), Size and that finishes the wizard.

Did you install the NX Client, Node, and Server on the server machine?
post #96 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Shouldn't have to create a domain. Default usually is "localhost@localdomain" which suffices just fine for what you're wanting to do.

Just find out what the IP of your server is (use the "ifconfig" command) and then go to the network settings and set it to static and fill in the blanks manually. You can keep the same IP. You shouldn't have to do anything on your router. You will have to get your DNS addresses which can be accessed from your router. If you're using a Linksys router, go to the "Status" tab (or the like) and the ISP DNS addresses should be listed. You will need at least the primary and most likely the secondary as well in order to access the internet. So the information you'll put into the server's network config should look like:

IP: 192.169.1.5
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 68.87.85.102
Secondary DNS: 68.87.69.150

Those numbers are examples, of course.
post #97 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, and Avatar is a kick A** movie!!! Just watched it for the second time on the projector with those huge tower speakers shaking EVERYTHING. Such a rush of a flick, whether I agree with the politics or not.

My house is in trouble when I get the funds to build a couple of these:
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

O_O
post #98 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One more post for the night: I messed with the groups thing for about 5 minutes until I ran out of time. Haven't had time to do any reading on it yet. I will say that my groups file doesn't have the shane or remote usernames next to anything except their own entries (IDs 1000 and 1001). Hmm...

Tells me the remote user should work just like the shane user, but alas, it doesn't.

Gonna try to read up on Unix groups this weekend and try to understand them.
post #99 of 200 Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 PM

well i went against everyone's advice and created a host on no-ip.com , configured the nx session , but when i tried to connec it says "connection refused" =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post

Tijs_Verwest:

This setup wizard you're using...this is on the client machine, correct? The NX Connection Wizard?

All it asked me was for the Session name (anything you want it to be), Host (the IP address of the server), Port (22 should be filled in already...leave it), Connection speed, Session type (select Unix), Desktop (for you, it will be Gnome), Size and that finishes the wizard.

Did you install the NX Client, Node, and Server on the server machine?

I just installed the nx client, and im not sure if the server , i think i installed a server from the no-ip site, dont know anything about a node tough
post #100 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:

well i went against everyone's advice and created a host on no-ip.com , configured the nx session , but when i tried to connec it says "connection refused" =/

I just installed the nx client, and im not sure if the server , i think i installed a server from the no-ip site, dont know anything about a node tough

You may want to have a look at this first: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

Then if you still can't get it working check back through this thread to see if Shane ran into the same problem (his is working now). If you have a different problem then ask and we can probably track it down.
post #101 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you trying to connect through your home network or outside your network (i.e. two machines in the same house, or connect to one at home from work)? If you're trying to connect to two machines at home, then you'll need to do this:

On the server (machine you want to connect to):

I am assuming you're using Ubuntu. Are you able to ssh to the server? Open a command prompt and type ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx is the IP address). If you can ssh into the server machine, then we can continue. If not, we need to troubleshoot this first before messing with NX.

If you can ssh in:
Install freeNX on the server machine.
Code:
sudo apt-get install freenx
There should not be anything to set up. Leave the configuration the way it is.

Next, install the NX client on the machine you want to connect from (i.e. the computer you're trying to use as the remote connection to the server).
Click here for the Windows Client: http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/...nt-3.4.0-7.exe
Click here for the OS X Client: http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/....4.0-8.pkg.zip
Click here for the Linux Client: http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/...4.0-7_i386.deb

Set up the client on the client machine using the connection wizard. Like I said in my previous post, it's pretty straight forward.

Next, you will need to get the ssh key from the server over to the client machine. On the client machine, ssh to the server. Once you're in the server:
Code:
cd /var/lib/nxserver/nxhome/.ssh/
The view the ssh key with vi:
Code:
vi ./client.id_dsa.key
Highlight and copy the ssh key. Copy from the beginning all the way to the last dash after "-----END DSA PRIVATE KEY-----"

Exit vi by typing
Code:
:q
Now, on the client machine, open the NX client, at the connection dialogue box, click Configure, then click Key and paste that key into the box and click save.

Back to the connection dialogue box, fill in your normal server's username (the one you usually use to sign into the server) and that username's password.

Try to connect.
post #102 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
:q won't save the changes, :wq! will, but I think some GUI text editor would be a better suggestion to keep things simple.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #103 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My intended goal is to not save the changes. I'm just having him open the key in vi so he can highlight and copy it while ssh'd into the server via his client. he can view the key and highlight/copy from the terminal on his client machine, then use :q to exit vi without saving, essentially leaving the key file alone.

It's how I got the key over to the Mac from the HTPC. There's probably a better way, but I'm old skool in what little I do know.
post #104 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Are you trying to connect through your home network or outside your network (i.e. two machines in the same house, or connect to one at home from work)? If you're trying to connect to two machines at home, then you'll need to do this:

On the server (machine you want to connect to):

I am assuming you're using Ubuntu. Are you able to ssh to the server? Open a command prompt and type ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx is the IP address). If you can ssh into the server machine, then we can continue. If not, we need to troubleshoot this first before messing with NX.

Im trying to connect to the other machine in my home ( trying to connect from my desktop to my htpc)

Remember my ip is dynamic, thas why i created a host in no-ip.com so what should i enter in ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ? , btw whats ssh?
post #105 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im trying to connect to the other machine in my home ( trying to connect from my desktop to my htpc)

Remember my ip is dynamic, thas why i created a host in no-ip.com so what should i enter in ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

Forget no-ip.com. It doesn't apply to what you're doing. Do this:

Quote:

Shouldn't have to create a domain. Default usually is "localhost@localdomain" which suffices just fine for what you're wanting to do.

Just find out what the IP of your server is (open a terminal and use the "ifconfig" command) and then go to the network settings GUI in Ubuntu and set it to static and fill in the blanks manually. You can keep the same IP. You shouldn't have to do anything on your router. You will have to get your DNS addresses which can be accessed from your router. If you're using a Linksys router, go to the "Status" tab (or the like) and the ISP DNS addresses should be listed. You will need at least the primary and most likely the secondary as well in order to access the internet. So the information you'll put into the server's network config should look like:

IP: 192.169.1.5
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 68.87.85.102
Secondary DNS: 68.87.69.150

Those numbers are examples, of course.

Quote:

btw whats ssh?

SSH is a protocol for connecting two machine together in a secure way. It's most commonly used for text-based-terminal connections.

So, in the places where I say "ssh into your server..." that means, go to your desktop, open a terminal, and type
Code:
ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Where the xxx is the IP address of your HTPC/server.
post #106 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My intended goal is to not save the changes. I'm just having him open the key in vi so he can highlight and copy it while ssh'd into the server via his client. he can view the key and highlight/copy from the terminal on his client machine, then use :q to exit vi without saving, essentially leaving the key file alone.

It's how I got the key over to the Mac from the HTPC. There's probably a better way, but I'm old skool in what little I do know.

Ok sorry, I didn't get that, but then 'cat' or 'more' are better suited than 'vi', to just view the content of a file.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #107 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Forget no-ip.com. It doesn't apply to what you're doing. Do this:

SSH is a protocol for connecting two machine together in a secure way. It's most commonly used for text-based-terminal connections.

So, in the places where I say "ssh into your server..." that means, go to your desktop, open a terminal, and type
Code:
ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Where the xxx is the IP address of your HTPC/server.

Where do i set the ip to static? double click or right click dont seem to work here:

I understood all u said dont worry, i was just asking because i thought i was going to with the domian from no-ip, but you made it clear thats not the way to go.
post #108 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where do i set the ip to static? double click or right click dont seem to work here:

I understood all u said dont worry, i was just asking because i thought i was going to with the domian from no-ip, but you made it clear thats not the way to go.

It's been a while since I used Ubuntu, but you should be able to right-click on the network connection icon on the panel at the lower right corner of your screen and choose "Edit Connections." That is the control panel you need.
post #109 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:

It's been a while since I used Ubuntu, but you should be able to right-click on the network connection icon on the panel at the lower right corner of your screen and choose "Edit Connections." That is the control panel you need.

Is this the right one?
post #110 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's the one. Go to the IPv4 tab and set it to static. Then fill in the blanks.

Be sure to open a terminal and type "ifconfig" to find out what the current IP address for the PC is. That should also show you the router/gateway address.

Log into your router first to find out your DNS addresses as well before you change the protocol to static.
post #111 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM

I use OpenDNS-- it's free, just sign up and they give you primary and secondary DNS addresses to use. It's a privacy/security thing.
post #112 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting. What is the advantage of that over the ISP assigned DNS's?
post #113 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Interesting. What is the advantage of that over the ISP assigned DNS's?

They filter out some phishing and bots, plus your ISP can't track your surfing habits for data-mining and marketing purposes. Of course, Google still can if you use it.

Since my ISP is a cable company...well, do I really need to elaborate?
post #114 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You need not say more. My ISP is Comcrap so, this would be VERY beneficial!
post #115 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 05:06 PM

I've been using it for a while now -- it's as fast as the ISP DNS servers, and I don't think that they've ever bugged me with an email except to confirm my registration.

They can do it for free because they offer professional services such as blocking page redirects and bypasses, and some proxy stuff such as whitelisting domains, but I don't have any need for all of that, and the free service has been solid.

I certainly recommend it.
post #116 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

That's the one. Go to the IPv4 tab and set it to static. Then fill in the blanks.

Be sure to open a terminal and type "ifconfig" to find out what the current IP address for the PC is. That should also show you the router/gateway address.

Log into your router first to find out your DNS addresses as well before you change the protocol to static.

dns or ddns? i accessed my linksys router trough the web but it says the ddns is disabled =/
post #117 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Go to the status tab. Your DNS addresses are listed there.
post #118 of 200 Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Go to the status tab. Your DNS addresses are listed there.

Im a little confused i dont see the "getaway" when i type ifconfig, and also the ip that appears when i type ifconfig is different that the one on the status tab on the router =/ , and two ddns servers appear on the status tab of the router but in the configuration of the connection there sees to be room for only one
post #119 of 200 Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The gateway address is the IP address of your router. So, if you never changed your router's IP from it's default, it will be 192.168.1.1. I have a Linksys router as well and that's it's default.

In the network config control panel in Ubuntu, I believe you have to separate the DNS addresses with a comma and space. So it'll look like: "68.87.85.102, 68.87.85.150" (numbers are examples)
post #120 of 200 Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 AM

Also, this
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page