Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ack-2010-5.DTL

Quote:

Google is phasing out the internal use of Microsoft's ubiquitous Windows operating system because of security concerns, according to several Google employees.

The directive to move to other operating systems began in earnest in January, after Google's Chinese operations were hacked, and could effectively end the use of Windows at Google, which employs more than 10,000 workers internationally.

We're not doing any more Windows. It is a security effort, said one Google employee.

Many people have been moved away from [Windows] PCs, mostly towards Mac OS, following the China hacking attacks, said another.

New hires are now given the option of using Apple's Mac computers or PCs running the Linux operating system. Linux is open source and we feel good about it, said one employee. Microsoft we don't feel so good about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm surprised they were using Windows as a desktop OS at all, I mean other companies and public administrations in Europe (still a minority, but growing) switched away from Windows years ago.

I would have expected a Internet tech company like Google to be at the forefront with this, rather than trailing much more conservative businesses and public administrations.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #3 of 17 Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I'm surprised they were using Windows as a desktop OS at all, I mean other companies and public administrations in Europe (still a minority, but growing) switched away from Windows years ago.

I would have expected a Internet tech company like Google to be at the forefront with this, rather than trailing much more conservative businesses and public administrations.

In that vein-

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/06/01/011203

Quote:

by gig (78408) writes: on Monday May 31, @10:13PM (#32413564)

It is simply unprofessional to use Windows in 2010. There is no excuse. The switching costs on Mac or Linux are tiny compared to what you save in maintenance and training costs later and gain in enhanced productivity. The key is you have to let the user choose which one they want and then you can leave them be to work. A Mac is better than Windows for some users, and Linux is better for the others. Neither needs any significant training if they choose the right one. For some users, an iPad is all they need. I know a couple of business people who switched from XP to iPad and won't go back. They add WebEx and iWork and a Bluetooth keyboard and they're good to go. Ten iPad users can share a single Mac mini with 10 accounts on it for backup and OS updates.

I think we need a kind of certification that says "Windows free" so consumers can avoid companies that use Windows. If you give your personal data to a company that uses Windows you have basically given it to a botnet. Even in the Fortune 500 who have I-T staff and security add-ons they all have botnet infestations. They shouldn't be waiting until they get a class action lawsuit to switch to professional technology.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 AM

Liked: 10
Google can still blow me (not literally, of course, because they would LOVE to do that).
post #5 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

...that may be true, but the reason this is SO important, regardless of one's personal opnions on Google, is the public perception impact on MS/Windows due to Google's decision/announcement.

A significant proportion of the general public thinks Google is "cool", or at minimum is aware of them and their significant influence on computing/the net.

Hence, when Google makes a big announcement like this, the mass public takes notice and starts thinking "Wow- if a big, influential company like Google can do without Windows, I guess my computer/netbook/pad/phone/company can do without Windows and MS, too!"
post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Screw google...long live Yahoo.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 679
What's with the Google haters..?? Is Yahoo any better..??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

What's with the Google haters..?? Is Yahoo any better..??

...primarily the privacy/tracking issues with Google products, well justified.

No, Yahoo is probably not any better (especially now that Yahoo is basically MS now), just better at hiding their privacy transgressions
post #9 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...primarily the privacy/tracking issues with Google products, well justified.

No, Yahoo is probably not any better (especially now that Yahoo is basically MS now), just better at hiding their privacy transgressions

I can understand that .. however, as a Web user for many, many years and having previously owned a Computer repair business, anyone that believes they have any Web privacy at all is, I'm sorry, delusional. No matter the site, no matter the ISP.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

Screw google...long live Yahoo.

While Yahoo is useful as a competitor to Google, I wouldn't trust it much more than Google with regards to privacy.

For Internet search I currently mostly use IXQUICK, see my mini-review o it here.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #11 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

...that may be true, but the reason this is SO important, regardless of one's personal opnions on Google, is the public perception impact on MS/Windows due to Google's decision/announcement.

A significant proportion of the general public thinks Google is "cool", or at minimum is aware of them and their significant influence on computing/the net.

Hence, when Google makes a big announcement like this, the mass public takes notice and starts thinking "Wow- if a big, influential company like Google can do without Windows, I guess my computer/netbook/pad/phone/company can do without Windows and MS, too!"

I think Microsoft is probably savvy enough (and well enough entrenched) to avoid a public relations problem at that level. Google, oddly enough, is actually way behind on this. The corporate business environment has been moving to a UNIX/Linux platform for years, if they ever strayed to begin with.

However, like it or not, most people are more comfortable with Windows on their home PC, and I think we'll see Microsoft play to that reality more in the future. Vista should be a wakeup call for them. Sure they created a powerful OS with enormous capabilities and business implications, but the average person doesn't want or need all that, nor do they have the hardware to fully support it. With Vista, Microsoft forgot that focusing a product can strengthen it. Going forward with W7 and beyond, I think they'll play to their strengths in the home PC market. They may even maintain their ground in the business desktop arena, but the enterprise systems market is largely out of their hands at this point.

tldr; Businesses are going to continue to move away from Windows, but M$ has the home PC market sewn up for the foreseeable future.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Has this story actually been confirmed by a reliable source? My boss told me he read where it was neither confirmed or denied by Google.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The first I heard of it was actually a week or two before the article came out when Google hired Colleen Kelly away from Leo Laporte's TWIT network. At that time, Colleen mentioned that she had to choose between Mac and Lucid Lynx at Google and ended up picking Lucid.

Which is somewhat ironic since Colleen had a reputation for complaining about TWIT's heavy use of Macs instead of Windows.

So I guess that's at least one first hand report of the story being true.

However, considering Google still has to support the billions of Windows/IE users out there, I suspect there's an enormous loophole in policy.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

post #15 of 17 Unread 08-13-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Linux (*****)

Hi every body i am new here and i liked to participate in above discussion about linux... anybody tell me exams of linux?

Microsoft 70-410 PDF Dump
Microsoft 70-411 PDF Dump
dumpspdf
post #16 of 17 Unread 08-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponting View Post
Hi every body i am new here and i liked to participate in above discussion about linux... anybody tell me exams of linux?
http://certification.comptia.org/get...ons/linux.aspx
post #17 of 17 Unread 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponting View Post
Hi every body i am new here and i liked to participate in above discussion about linux...
That discussion took place 4 years ago!

Anyway, best way to learn linux is download it to a USB stick and run it live to mess around with.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat