Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

I don't have anything to test with ATM, but BD+ is implemented in MakeMKV:

Source

Of course it does or it couldn't rip the discs, just like DVDFab or AnyDVD.

But none of these are FOSS, which was my point.

A FOSS libBD+ is what I was alluding to, analogous to the recent libaacs project.
post #34 of 82 Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Given the relevance and interest in BluRay in general and on Linux in particular, this thread was made sticky.

Should be good development coming from MythTV, VLC, XBMC, mplayer/SMplayer and others in the coming months and through next year on libaacs, libBD+, BluRay direct disc playback and menus/Java support.
post #35 of 82 Old 09-06-2010, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People, does anyone knows or have tried DVDFab Passkey on wine? I have it installed on a win7 partition for testing and it looks good. I've rent a Bluray that was AACS17 and BD+ and it worked fine. I need it or AnyDVD HD running on Linux to be able to use my Sony Optiarc BC-5500S drive on Linux. Once my BD drive is OEM it can't decrypt the discs but if I have DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD HD running in background and decrypting the disc I can play them fine on Win7.

I could install DVDFab Passkey on wine and after some struggle (to set the dvd drive) it can launch but it doesn't decrypt when there is a disc inserted. But it's the beginning... At least it could be installed on wine and I could get it running, playing around with settings etc, without errors...
post #36 of 82 Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Still no luck with streaming for me.. anyone gotten it to work?

I tried mplayer, smplayer, and VLC.

I can connect to the webserver.. but when I click on a ts file to stream it, it looks like its going to download the whole file before sending it to the player..
post #37 of 82 Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpborges View Post

People, does anyone knows or have tried DVDFab Passkey on wine? I have it installed on a win7 partition for testing and it looks good. I've rent a Bluray that was AACS17 and BD+ and it worked fine. I need it or AnyDVD HD running on Linux to be able to use my Sony Optiarc BC-5500S drive on Linux. Once my BD drive is OEM it can't decrypt the discs but if I have DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD HD running in background and decrypting the disc I can play them fine on Win7.

I could install DVDFab Passkey on wine and after some struggle (to set the dvd drive) it can launch but it doesn't decrypt when there is a disc inserted. But it's the beginning... At least it could be installed on wine and I could get it running, playing around with settings etc, without errors...

People, I'm looking for someone that is trying to get DVDFab Passkey running on Linux through Wine. I could get it installed and running with no error, but when I insert a disc it doesn't decrypt it.
post #38 of 82 Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpborges View Post

People, I'm looking for someone that is trying to get DVDFab Passkey running on Linux through Wine. I could get it installed and running with no error, but when I insert a disc it doesn't decrypt it.

AFAIK, DVDfab passkey is a Windows driver like AnyDVD, and therefore shouldn't work under Wine, at least not yet...

Just use DVDfab under Wine to rip the disc.
post #39 of 82 Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM

^^^ or MakeMKV. It's native Linux and works great.

@zim: I've only tried streaming locally with smplayer, and that worked fine (it didn't try to load the whole file first).
post #40 of 82 Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster View Post

^^^ or MakeMKV. It's native Linux and works great.

@zim: I've only tried streaming locally with smplayer, and that worked fine (it didn't try to load the whole file first).

can you use small words and describe your process?

I selected the track in makemkv and hit stream... it seemed to queue up and wait for something to attach

then in smplayer/mplayer/VLC I entered both flavors of URL ... ie. http://192.168.0.3:51000 and http://localhost:51000

Looking at the tutorials it looks like I should have added something like stream/title0.ts to the end of that URL.
post #41 of 82 Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

...Looking at the tutorials it looks like I should have added something like stream/title0.ts to the end of that URL.

Yep. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19040838
post #42 of 82 Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

HDCP Master Key revealed

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/ar.../09/14/1211205

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/h...-copy-protect/

While not BluRay specific, it's still very relevant, as BD players have HDCP enabled HDMI outs.

Plus, this should improve/make easier the ability of Linux to output video/HD audio via HDMI outs on GPU's/video cards, especially when BD direct disc playback is enabled on Linux.
post #43 of 82 Old 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

HDCP Master Key revealed

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/ar.../09/14/1211205

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/h...-copy-protect/

While not BluRay specific, it's still very relevant, as BD players have HDCP enabled HDMI outs.

Plus, this should improve/make easier the ability of Linux to output video/HD audio via HDMI outs on GPU's/video cards, especially when BD direct disc playback is enabled on Linux.

While the news is certainly good in general, it really has nothing to do with Linux, Linux doesn't use HDCP and that's a good thing, there is nothing to be gained for the user from using HDCP.

It won't make BD playback any easier for Linux, there is no need to enable HDCP in order to output HD video (which Linux already does) or HD audio.

It would have been more useful if the AACS master key (if such a thing exists, don't know enough about AACS) had been made public!

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #44 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

While the news is certainly good in general, it really has nothing to do with Linux, Linux doesn't use HDCP and that's a good thing, there is nothing to be gained for the user from using HDCP.

It won't make BD playback any easier for Linux, there is no need to enable HDCP in order to output HD video (which Linux already does) or HD audio.

It would have been more useful if the AACS master key (if such a thing exists, don't know enough about AACS) had been made public!

You're correct re: BluRay impact- I was kind of groggy when I posted that

OT, but, the opening of HDCP may have a significant impact on MythTV (and other open DVR/PVR's), assuming low cost HDMI capture cards become available using this Master key info, allowing capture/recording of HD HDMI outs from any box- sat/cable/BD player with NF streaming/Roku/etc. HDMI capture cards could end up cheaper than the Hauppauge HD-PVR HD analog component capture device, and be internal PCIe cards to boot. This means full digital HD recording with MythTV.
post #45 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OT, but, the opening of HDCP may have a significant impact on MythTV (and other open DVR/PVR's), assuming low cost HDMI capture cards become available using this Master key info, allowing capture/recording of HD HDMI outs from any box- sat/cable/BD player with NF streaming/Roku/etc. HDMI capture cards could end up cheaper than the Hauppauge HD-PVR HD analog component capture device, and be internal PCIe cards to boot. This means full digital HD recording with MythTV.

I don't know if such cards could be cheaply made, we are talking about capturing and handling a data stream which is multiple Gigabits per second (remember this is a full uncompressed HD video stream, plus the audio), this would require a lot of processing power.

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #46 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Not to mention a LOT of HDD space. Every time I start to get interested in doing uncompressed HDMI capture, I start to question whether it is worth it to build a RAID array big enough and fast enough to handle uncompressed HD video (and audio). I captured uncompressed SD video years ago (S-video out from Dish Network box), and it was such a relief to go to HD (FusionHDTV capture card) where everything was captured in its "still compressed" form. Not to mention, these HDCP breaking devices will not be easy to come by (local electronics stores probably couldn't sell them), but at least if the master key is known, revocation would become a non-issue. Meaning, if you get one that works based on this new info, it should continue to work forever.
post #47 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 AM

Why would such a proposed device be any different than an HD-PVR? This is just a "digital-hole" as opposed the the "analog-hole". But perhaps you mean 1080p since the HD-PVR is 720p/1080i or that some company would never be able to actually come out with a device using the hacked key.

Does anyone know how the HDFury actually works? It was always my backup plan when Big Media gets Congress/FCC to close the analog-hole. Just didn't want to spend money on HDFurys until I had too.
post #48 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post

Why would such a proposed device be any different than an HD-PVR?

A HD-PVR records a compressed mpeg2 or h.264 stream (without any need for encoding or processing), while a 1080i hdmi stream would be 11GBytes a minute (1920 x 1080 x 30frames x 3byte x 60sec), almost 700GBytes an hour!
It would only work if the card contains a chip that encodes the raw stream as mpeg2 or h.264 in real-time, which would make it very expensive.

post #49 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:

A HD-PVR records a compressed mpeg2 or h.264 stream (without any need for encoding or processing), while a 1080i hdmi stream would be 11GBytes a minute (1920 x 1080 x 30frames x 3byte x 60sec), almost 700GBytes an hour!
It would only work if the card contains a chip that encodes the raw stream as mpeg2 or h.264 in real-time, which would make it very expensive.

I am confused about this point. Given that a blu-ray has up to ~50 GB capacity, sends out 1080p and can contain a 2.5 hour movie, how does a 1080i HDMI stream end up requiring 700 GB/hr?
post #50 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Actually the HD-PVR takes raw component video (YCrCb or YPrPb) and makes h.264 in real-time.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

So it seems doable to me. Of course I could be confused - it's not an uncommon occurrence.
post #51 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquid View Post

I am confused about this point. Given that a blu-ray has up to ~50 GB capacity, sends out 1080p and can contain a 2.5 hour movie, how does a 1080i HDMI stream end up requiring 700 GB/hr?

Because the stream that is sent across HDMI is the decompressed and decoded data not the compressed data that is on the BD. So for an H264 encoding at a fairly conservative compression ratio of 50:1, a full 50GB BD would generate about 2.5TB of traffic over the HDMI bus.
post #52 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I just didn't really how compressed BDs are.
post #53 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually the HD-PVR takes raw component video (YCrCb or YPrPb) and makes h.264 in real-time.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

So it seems doable to me. Of course I could be confused - it's not an uncommon occurrence.

I misunderstood you, when you said HD-PVR I took it as the generic term for HD personal video recorder standalone units or PC cards, i.e. those that record digital broadcast streams from satellite, cable or OTA directly onto a hard disk, I wasn't aware of this specific product from Hauppauge.

I guess the feasibility of a digital (hdmi input) version of the Hauppauge HD-PVR depends on the availability of a chip that can convert a raw uncompressed hdmi video stream into h.264. I'd guess the chip that the HD-PVR uses isn't capable of handling a digital rather than an analog input.

post #54 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd guess the chip that the HD-PVR uses isn't capable of handling a digital rather than an analog input.

Why not? An analog HD signal is effectively "uncompressed" and must be A/D converted and then compressed in real time.

If my cheap $120 monitor with HDMI input is capable of rendering the datastream, what's the big deal combining the HDMI receiving circuits found in everyday LCD panels plus the h264 real time encoders found in less than $200 1080i/p camcorders?
post #55 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was always my backup plan when Big Media gets Congress/FCC to close the analog-hole.

Yes, Congress is full of a-holes.

post #56 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not? An analog HD signal is effectively "uncompressed" and must be A/D converted and then compressed in real time.

An analog signal is quite different from a digital signal, so a digital signal requires a chip that is explicitly made to deal with it. I'm not saying that a chip capable of handling a raw digital signal can't be made or doesn't exist, but simply that the chip used in the HD-PVR is unlikely to be also able to deal with a digital signal.

Quote:

If my cheap $120 monitor with HDMI input is capable of rendering the datastream, what's the big deal combining the HDMI receiving circuits found in everyday LCD panels plus the h264 real time encoders found in less than $200 1080i/p camcorders?

The big deal is the availability of a chip that does such a thing, you can't just combine random chips that were intended for different purposes together. Chips are easy and cheap to mass produce, but cost a lot to design, so manufacturers like Hauppauge generally base their products on existing chips, they rarely have the expertise to design their own chips, and even if they do, they would do that only if the product has a big enough market (which is hardly the case for a product that most likely would be illegal in the US and probably the EU too).

post #57 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

we are talking about capturing and handling a data stream which is multiple Gigabits per second (remember this is a full uncompressed HD video stream, plus the audio), this would require a lot of processing power.

The processing power required for capturing is not particularly heavy; indeed, its negligible all things considered. Storage capacity and STR performance, on the other hand, is quite high (as has been noted).

Processing power becomes an issue after the fact -- i.e. how you are going to manipulate that ginormous file you've written to disk from the uncompressed bitstream you've "captured".

Quote:

An analog signal is quite different from a digital signal

of course; you have to do ADC on the former, and voila, you're left with the same format as the later.

Quote:

a digital signal requires a chip that is explicitly made to deal with it. I'm not saying that a chip capable of handling a raw digital signal can't be made or doesn't exist

While I'm not up on the varying capabilities of most of the available existing decoder chips, it is by no means a stretch in technology for anyone to include a "raw digital input" interface (in addition to a dedicated TS interface) -- "all you would need to do" (famous last words) is include a FIFO pool with enough capacity and DMA channel to put it out on the system bus ... such a feature has likely been lacking on decider chipsets simply because of the prior deficiencies in storage and processing technologies that made the application (uncompressed capturing) unpractical.

Quote:

the chip used in the HD-PVR is unlikely to be also able to deal with a digital signal.

no. it's capable: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-d...s/product.html
post #58 of 82 Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK View Post

no. it's capable: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-d...s/product.html

Interesting thanks for the link, it really appears to be able to deal with a digital hdmi/dvi input stream too.

That still leaves the legal issue (just because the master key is out there that doesn't mean it's legal to use in a commercial product), therefore I'd imagine that only some noname chinese manufacturer will produce something like this, not companies like Hauppauge.

post #59 of 82 Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK View Post

of course; you have to do ADC on the former, and voila, you're left with the same format as the later.

...which was my point

A stock $200 1080i/p camcorder that does realtime h264 encoding has to be crunching a lot of data from the CMOS video sensor...

Shouldn't matter whether the uncompressed video is coming off a CMOS sensor or down an HDMI wire.

The HDMI data rates are no new thing- HD-SDI connections have been around for ages, for deinterlacers/scalers, etc...
post #60 of 82 Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

re; BlurRay HDCP issue- Intel appears to agree with me

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...ray-Is-Cracked

Quote:

"Intel has confirmed that the leaked HDCP master key protecting millions of Blu-ray discs and devices that was posted to the Web this week is legitimate. The disclosure means, in effect, that all Blu-ray discs can now be unlocked and copied. HDCP (High Definition Content Protection), which was created by Intel and is administered by Digital Content Protection LLP, is the content encryption scheme that protects data, typically movies, as they pass across a DVI or an HDMI cable. According to an Intel official, the most likely scenario for a hacker would be to create a computer chip with the master key embedded it, that could be used to decode Blu-ray discs."

Of course, I think all they mean is the ability to record the HDMI outs of a BluRay player. It still takes a working libBD+ and libAACS plus BD menu support to play BD discs on Linux without ripping first, of course.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page